Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Impliments System Caps

Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

During the downtime today, Sunday 21st September, we deployed a new feature to Tranquility. The Stargate will now check how many players there are in the system and deny access if you attempt to jump into it when too many players are present. In addition to this you will not be able to login on a character if the system has too many players. We have also increased the amount of GMs this evening and if you are unable to login, please press the ESC button and submit a petition in the Stuck category.

This is a temporary solution to this issue, we are working on a permanent feature which has the highest priority and will be implemented as soon as possible.

The above is the announcement that the developers at EVE posted, just got it on my RSS feed. This is a stop gap solution at best but it should have the effect of moving people out of the core systems a bit and thus help with the problem. Expect systems like Jita however to stay in perpetual lockdown.

Comments

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

good news for many of eve players :happy:
    http://myeve.eve-online.com/mb/news.asp?nid=2375

BestSigEver :P

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

"Good"? Are you friggin kidding me?

This is even more devastating than the pos bugs a year ago. It's so easy to exploit it isn't even funny anymore.

Just blob the system shortly before pos are coming out of reinforced, and nobody will ever be able to enter..

• ettisettis Member Posts: 7

nvm.

• LirananLiranan Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by batolemaeus

"Good"? Are you friggin kidding me?
    This is even more devastating than the pos bugs a year ago. It's so easy to exploit it isn't even funny anymore.
    Just blob the system shortly before pos are coming out of reinforced, and nobody will ever be able to enter..

I agree, this is just terrible. Let's hope it is a temporary solution only. Do remember though that the Goons are no more as most of them don't log in anymore and they just can't recruit thanks to their own stupidity.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

so battles are going to be totally one sided now. Like one of the above posters said, all people need to do, is get to the POS or battle area earlier then the other side, and you pretty much win.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• BigDave7481BigDave7481 Member Posts: 298

Meh they removed the system caps.

Yes, they removed it by now, except for jita.

Originally posted by tvalentine

so battles are going to be totally one sided now. Like one of the above posters said, all people need to do, is get to the POS or battle area earlier then the other side, and you pretty much win.

You've obviously never been in a major 0.0 battle then with 1000 people in system and another 1000 waiting to jump in. Goons used to crash system nodes to then fill the systems and then take the poses down because the server locks the system and traffic control starts and there's a jump in lag of 20 minutes.

I have been in battles like this and it's not funny so this is nothing new. The only thing that is new is that Jita might no longer be the end all and be all of trading and goods might actually get spread around the universe now, the way it should be.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Liranan
    I have been in battles like this and it's not funny so this is nothing new. The only thing that is new is that Jita might no longer be the end all and be all of trading and goods might actually get spread around the universe now, the way it should be.

It should not.
    Jita being a major trade hub is fine and natural. If it wasn't Jita, it would be some other system.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Originally posted by Gdemami

It should not.

Jita being a major trade hub is fine and natural. If it wasn't Jita, it would be some other system.

Nothing wrong with that.

So, it's better to have one trade hub than many? I'd rather see trade spread out over the universe rather than centralised in one extremely laggy system that is bugged more than not because of the lag (market bug). Natural would be for Oursulaert, Amarr and other capital systems to also be  major trade hubs and everyone wins, unless you enjoy sitting in a station for 15 minutes waiting for your buy or sell orders to go through.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

So, it's better to have one trade hub than many? I'd rather see trade spread out over the universe rather than centralised in one extremely laggy system that is bugged more than not because of the lag (market bug). Natural would be for Oursulaert, Amarr and other capital systems to also be  major trade hubs and everyone wins, unless you enjoy sitting in a station for 15 minutes waiting for your buy or sell orders to go through.

There are other trade hubs for each empire and their regions. It is up to you to calculate the efficiency of buying for little less spending your time moving to Jita and back.
    - market bug was already fixed
    - nothing is natural when anything else but market create hubs

I recommend you permanently sit in Jita and protest the fact that Jita might stop being the major trade hub of EVE. A lag down protest would be fun I suppose, lag yourself until you get tired of the node taking 10 minutes to process one typed sentence. How dare CCP change that? CCP are a really bad company on par with Sony now. I want my Jita  with people typing laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag all the time. I hate CCP

• NatoBNatoB Member Posts: 114

Every MMO has a central trade hub with smaller ones around. Take WoW they have 5 major cities per faction, and 1 city in each faction became the major trade hub, ogrimmar for horde and stormwind for alliance.

Its the human way :P take your city/town u live in and it has 1 major trade area :D

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy

I found it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh Well
    Whatever
    Nevermind

Originally posted by NatoB

Every MMO has a central trade hub with smaller ones around. Take WoW they have 5 major cities per faction, and 1 city in each faction became the major trade hub, ogrimmar for horde and stormwind for alliance.
    Its the human way :P take your city/town u live in and it has 1 major trade area :D

In WOW you have five  major cities and all of their suction houses are linked together and there is one trade channel. Also WOW suffers from the lag problems that EVE suffers from. Good comparisson.

In WOW you have five  major cities and all of their suction houses are linked together and there is one trade channel. Also WOW suffers from the lag problems that EVE suffers from. Good comparisson.

Yeah this is true, but go into orgrimarr on a friday night with a normal rig and see how much you will lag. I normally go to Thunder Bluff with my good rig just because there are so few players there and i am free to trade without lag, what im getting to is that yes they have a linked auction house but everyone takes their actual toons to these major cities (orgrimarr and stormwind). Im just saying that people in general tend to be drawn to one major area for trade (in real life and in the virtual)

Final Fantasy

I found it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh Well
    Whatever
    Nevermind

Yeah this is true, but go into orgrimarr on a friday night with a normal rig and see how much you will lag. I normally go to Thunder Bluff with my good rig just because there are so few players there and i am free to trade without lag, what im getting to is that yes they have a linked auction house but everyone takes their actual toons to these major cities (orgrimarr and stormwind). Im just saying that people in general tend to be drawn to one major area for trade (in real life and in the virtual)

If you don't lag in Thunderbluf but do lag in Ogrimmar it's PC lag and not server lag. EVE doesn't suffer from PC lag but from server lag, two different things.

If you don't lag in Thunderbluf but do lag in Ogrimmar it's PC lag and not server lag. EVE doesn't suffer from PC lag but from server lag, two different things.

4 gb RAM, 4200+ cpu, 8400gs Nvidia card - my pc is lagging? Right.

Final Fantasy

I found it hard
    It's hard to find
    Oh Well
    Whatever
    Nevermind

Doesn't matter what you throw at it, it's a hard limit in the engine. The same happens with a lot of objects in let's say the source engine when you have a flat map with no vis-leaves, or in eve if you configure it to display all brackets and go into a fleetfight.

You are going to Ogrimmar at peak times with a PC like that?

Q6600 @ 3.6

4GB RAM

8800GTS 320 650/2000

I have never experienced system lag in WoW before and I have a 22" screen. I never dip below 60fps with everything set to maximum, regardless of how many people there are at a certain location.

That 8400GS of yours is not a gaming chip and no matter how you twist and turn it you will experience system lag. While I understand you might not use your PC entirely for gaming only you are claiming something that is natural. It would be odd if you weren't experiencing system lag because that would mean that 8400GS of yours is a special specimen.

The only game I really drop below 30fps is EVE when I run more than four clients (I do on a regular basis).

Originally posted by batolemaeus

Doesn't matter what you throw at it, it's a hard limit in the engine. The same happens with a lot of objects in let's say the source engine when you have a flat map with no vis-leaves, or in eve if you configure it to display all brackets and go into a fleetfight.

Never Winter Nights was like this. I had  a XP1900, GF 200 and 512 RAM and the game used to stutter like crazy sometimes. The engine was simply badly coded and there was nothing anyone could do about it and no hardware could fix that problem.

• HessmixHessmix Member Posts: 7

Here is my point of view in this.  With this pop cap in Jita this might allow other sytems to become the major trade hubs. The problem is that EVERYONE uses Jita as their main hub. The Gallente, Amarr and Minmatars should have their own trade hubs in their own soverign systems. I know there are busy systems in their terroritory but none like Jita in Caldari Space. This might help the issue.

Originally posted by Hessmix

Here is my point of view in this.  With this pop cap in Jita this might allow other sytems to become the major trade hubs. The problem is that EVERYONE uses Jita as their main hub. The Gallente, Amarr and Minmatars should have their own trade hubs in their own soverign systems. I know there are busy systems in their terroritory but none like Jita in Caldari Space. This might help the issue.

The best trade hub EVE has ever had wsa Yulai. Remember that anyone? There were gates leading to Yulai from all empires and it was very easily accessible. Yulai was meant to be the capital of EVE and it was with Concord ruling the system and none of the other empires. For roleplayers that meant that no empire had control over trade routes and no empire could tax anything, unlike EVE today in which the Caldari are the gods of trade and they can (virtually of course) tax all trade. I am no roleplayer and I don't care about this because tax is the same everywhere and only influenced by skill.

The point is that CCP removed the gates directly leading to Yulai because Yulai became packed and lagged to death. Then everyone moved around a little and finally settled in Jita, which is packed and lagging to death. What did CCP solve? CCP solved the problem of nobody knowing where to go for a short time before settling in a new system. CCP were hoping trade would spread out across the universe and not be limited to one system only. This idea was a failure as we can see and Jita is just as bad as Yulai was. The only difference between the Yulai of the old days and Jita today is that Yulai didn't have its own node (as far as I am aware) and there were less people in Yulai, which is logical as there were less people in EVE full stop.