Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why did they have to copy wow's battlegrounds model?

I mean come on everything is similar down to the stats banner at the end.They could have come up with something totally different for faction combat,why did they have to borrow heavily from wow for that.i always hated the wow battlegrounds and was disappointed to find that war had the same damn thing.

Comments

• honkeytonkmahonkeytonkma Member Posts: 96

I did kinda notice they did use too much of WoWs influence when doing RVR it does not feel like DAOC at all

• PhusPhus Member UncommonPosts: 40

Yeah, I mean it's not like that recap isn't in every FPS with capture the flag and other modes of play. That's totally a ripoff.

RECAPELOHEL

Every game with multiple players and an objective seems to have one. Big shock.

• Sigh.  Seriously people not everything in WoW was actually invented by Blizzard.  Get your noses out of their behinds.

Most of this crap had been done for years previously.

Its like some kind of weird mass hypnosis or something. 

• last_exilelast_exile Member Posts: 196

OMG THEY STOLE CTF FROM WOW OMG OMG OMG OMG........

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

This is comming from people who have most likely never played war.

The fact is that wow is not an origional game by any means, whatever they do has been done before.  So think about where WoW go their battle grounds idea from (DAoC mabey?)

• honkeytonkmahonkeytonkma Member Posts: 96

Oh I am sorry for making a non positive remark about this game, every body, I will go back talking to how godly it is. Once again I am sorry.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Mythic never really set out to do much new with WAR, just take what was out in the market and make it better.  Pretty standard formula for all large publishing houses.

Only an INDY dev is going to take chances, but there's always a price to pay for the flexibility.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Well then why dont you explain why you think that warhammers RvR is a copy of wow and nothing like daoc?

please explain your remark.

• mo0rbidmo0rbid Member Posts: 363

THE TOPIC IS ABOUT THE SCENARIO THAT LOOKS LIKE  ARATHI BASIN 

(notice LOOKS LIKE, not just the game-type)

You understand the the warhammer lore, ideas, and concepts are over 20 years old...they got the look of its enviroment and characters from this lore, which was created before the mmo' genere and before wow came along.  In fact if you ask anyone who follows the warhammer lore they will tell you that warcraft's lore is just a rehashed warhammer.

• jzuskajzuska Member Posts: 418
    Originally posted by honkeytonkma

I did kinda notice they did use too much of WoWs influence when doing RVR it does not feel like DAOC at all

Are you speaking of scenarios?

Because keep sieges are EXACTLY like DAOC. I fail to see how you think killing a keep lord is like WoW.

Im serious, they didnt play warhammer, they are just trolling, youll find no explinations on the confusing comparisons they made. Im still waiting.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by crunchyblack

You understand the the warhammer lore, ideas, and concepts are over 20 years old...they got the look of its enviroment and characters from this lore, which was created before the mmo' genere and before wow came along.  In fact if you ask anyone who follows the warhammer lore they will tell you that warcraft's lore is just a rehashed warhammer.

Yes everyone knows that but the problem is that WoW made it to MMO market 4 years ago.......As a result it was up to Warhammer to do something different to distinguish themselves......With Warhammer scenarios looking so much like WoW battlegrounds they lose alot of credibility with some people because instead of setting themselves apart they just basically copied something that was very successful in a rival game....... I think alot of people were hoping that Warhammer would be totally opposite of WoW when instead it reminds them too much of it.

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

They didnt copy WoW's Battleground . WoW was the copy , they didnt make battlegrounds tthey just took FPS "battlegrounds" and droped them into an mmorpg. Why do people always say something copy wow , Blizz didnt bring anything new , it just copy/paste anything they seen in the past that worked.

something diffrent like, i dunno, focusing the game on RvR rather than pve?

They really dont have to do anything diffrent, they just have to make the game fun, and they did.  Im confident that any wow player who plays war for a few weeks, and like RvR will see exactly how diffrent the games are from eachother.

They are completely diffrent games, one uses a ripped off lore and applies it to pve with pvp as an after thought, the other bases its lore off a 20 year history creating their own lore, applies it to their solid experience in RvR, and provides instant RvR action withouth requireing you to grind to engame and aquire the best equips to enjoy it.

Im not convinced yet that war's pve is lacking either, pve grows on you and most people have spend what little time the game has been up focusing on the RvR.

But yeah for the first 2 hours playing either game wow>war just because wow is so easy and requires no getting use to, you just follow the npc quests.  Theres a lot more variety in war and it gets confusing, your first time playing, since you dont know just how many options on what to do you have.

Also i dont know why anyone would expect a game like war to be the opposite of wow, seeing as they copy/pasted warhammer lore into wow.  If you want the opposite of wow then you better wait for a scifi or a diffrent genere of mmo to come out.  mmorpgs have been nothing more than modified everquests/DAoC/ Ultima Onlines....they are the definiton of what a mmorpg is.  All games that came after them, including wow, are just rip offs of them.  Just like madden 08 is a ripoff of madden 98 or whatever, yet they are diffrent and fun.  This wow ripoff mentality spawned out of kids who had only played wow assuming that it was the only game to do the mmorpg thing.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Simple; they have to cater to the folks that need some quick pvp in a can fix now and then. If you don't want to do scenario's you can opt for world pvp in the RvR lakes. I love them both. *happy panda face*

• VindicothVindicoth Member Posts: 273

DAoC was actually the first MMORPG to have battlegrounds. Blizzard just took that and made it more FPS like.

The only thing unique that wow did, and that i would give them credit for, was for dragging in millions of 12-15 year old counsol players into the mmo market, for better or worse they did make what was suppose to be a complex gaming experience that took time to fully understand, and made it quick simple and thought free for all.

for better or worse, the mmo industry now has a lot more customers, most with daddy's credit card.

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559

Hm...I like how Blizzard invented something /after/ Warhammer was already in development and stated they were going to have those features. Come on, get your head out of your ass.

A lot of WoW's 'features' are simply a gimmick to try and keep subscribers, because another game is coming out with it soon, such as seige warfare and such, a la AoC. They're merely keeping up with the competition, not making new things.

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

You do realize that WoW was not the first MMORPG to have something like battlegrounds, right? As far as objectives go, there have been flag based objectives since even before the Roman Empire in 500BC. You're delusional.

• HandapandaHandapanda Member Posts: 5

Wait.... maybe, but just maybe, they took it from WoW because they did it good?

• slythsslyths Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by crunchyblack

something diffrent like, i dunno, focusing the game on RvR rather than pve?
    They really dont have to do anything diffrent, they just have to make the game fun, and they did.  Im confident that any wow player who plays war for a few weeks, and like RvR will see exactly how diffrent the games are from eachother.
    They are completely diffrent games, one uses a ripped off lore and applies it to pve with pvp as an after thought, the other bases its lore off a 20 year history creating their own lore, applies it to their solid experience in RvR, and provides instant RvR action withouth requireing you to grind to engame and aquire the best equips to enjoy it.
    Im not convinced yet that war's pve is lacking either, pve grows on you and most people have spend what little time the game has been up focusing on the RvR.
    But yeah for the first 2 hours playing either game wow>war just because wow is so easy and requires no getting use to, you just follow the npc quests.  Theres a lot more variety in war and it gets confusing, your first time playing, since you dont know just how many options on what to do you have.
    Also i dont know why anyone would expect a game like war to be the opposite of wow, seeing as they copy/pasted warhammer lore into wow.  If you want the opposite of wow then you better wait for a scifi or a diffrent genere of mmo to come out.  mmorpgs have been nothing more than modified everquests/DAoC/ Ultima Onlines....they are the definiton of what a mmorpg is.  All games that came after them, including wow, are just rip offs of them.  Just like madden 08 is a ripoff of madden 98 or whatever, yet they are diffrent and fun.  This wow ripoff mentality spawned out of kids who had only played wow assuming that it was the only game to do the mmorpg thing.

I'm quoting this again... 'cause it seems more than enough of an answer.

• GuileGuile Member Posts: 37

When will people learn: Innovation != Good Gameplay.

Blizzard took everything they have seen in MMO's and polished it up.

Just beacause they didn't innovate doesn't mean that the gameplay is going to be bad, the numbers prove that it isn't.

I tried Warhammer, and it just seems like they wanted to make a polished version of WoW with some new elements added.  It isn't that good, in fact it made me want to play WoW again.

• Blizzard themselves had said they did not invent nothing new. They said they took the same thing from others and just make it more "flashy" and that is exactly what they did. Everything you see in wow you will find in other MMOs that were there before wow was even thought of. Wow didn't invent anything. They even said so. Go back and read all the media from when it was in development. So please do not say anyone has copied wow. All of you whom are wow fans.... just go back to wow. I won't say anthing about it... really. Because if you make this comment "They took the same thing from wow.....blah, blah...) then you are too hard core of a wow fan to change. And I am not saying that in a bad way so don't take it that way.

I myself am a hardcore Warhammer fan. I have been playing it since the tabletop. (Yeah i am old, I accept it). And I have played WOW. Might even have more 70's than you do. (Tooooo many). However you will never hear me say that an MMO has taken something from another. I have no idea who started it. Hmm, that is a good question. What was the first MMO that had a battleground?...  I know Earth and Beyond had one. And that was before Star Wars Galaxies, WOW, or even DAoC. Though I am sure there must have been one before that.

• ganbeeganbee Member Posts: 233

All this silly harping about WOW and WAR, is this going to help? I have no more 50$ too spend on clones! Just resub to WOW and play the battlefields, and you will be playing a better version of WAR! Yes and when you flame me or whatever else you do other than play the game you are so called  defending, Remember you are not playing so called great game too be on the forums. In conclusion If you like that game so much go play, if you don't join me the hater's J/K. Rather put a nice 15$ in a resub than waste time on something that has been done before, and includes lotro. When did the government pass a law approving cloning?