Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As I expected. WAR is boring.

Comments

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176
    Originally posted by Besttheiswow

Originally posted by trevornor

Originally posted by Besttheiswow

I dont know why people disagree with the OP...he is absolutely right...
    Warhammer is a nice game...thats it...its the same type of mmo as wow and others..the only difference is:
    -its more pvp oriented
    -you dont need to use the chat and talk to people to be able to play
    -grouping is easy, quests are also easyer then drinking a glass of water
    -combat is slow and too easy, and not fun

Overall its a rvr oriented mmo, but so easy to do anything that a 4 y old can play and you will never know he is 4 years old..he doesnt even need to type in chat to play the game ffs...

wow is an easy game..but comparing to warhammer you need to actualy try to play wow to do something...

I think there's a few more things that make WAR a bit more different than you realize. Unfortunatly, it takes more than a short time of play to find it.

so some facts

1. This is a PvP focused game. That's where the main challenges are, but on exploring a bit, I found some really good challenges inPvE too.

2. This game's set up is based on a familiar UI. But that being said, it's the first game that's given EVERY player control of the layout of the UI without relying on modding services.

3. You can level up in this game in any fashion you like. That includes the easy route of just doing PvE, or taking the PvP road less travelled aparently. Keep in mind this game did release with a fully done PvP levelling system (120 levels total, 40 PvE, 80 PvP)

4. The grouping feature is a deelightful thing, both with the Open Party system, as well as the PQ system. Both are wonderful evolutions of the MMO gaming that is much needed.

5. When joining a group, I don't get aksed what my build is or being told I need to change my spec to be "useful" With the renown skill system, the variations are so many that there are no cookie cutter builds. It is completely open.

Now back to the "easy mode" comment

I have a few questions to ask. Mind you this all is Tier 1 stuff

Did you complete the mission to kill 10 enemy players via PvP?

What is the enemy PvE boss level above hero and did you find the tier 1 one, and did you defeat it, and with how many people?

What rank was your renown?

What was your top characte's name and class?

Thank you for youe time. I find this game very complex after tier 1 and if you found the "easy mode" i'd like to know what it is....

Yeah man..you got your point i got mine...

Warhammer is a nice game with some nice features...

But for someone playing wow for 4 years i want to find a new game..but going from wow to warhammer it feels to me going from one type of game to another that looks alike but has less to offer in terms of things i like..

If i want a different king of game from wow i must try fallen earth, darkfall etc..because going from wow to warhammer feels going to a less good game...even with 4 years of playing wow..i have so mutch more fun just fighting someone and killing it...and i do it for 4 years...

Warhammer lacks something, theres a feeling of boredom in it...and the people dont talk at all...i mean this is an mmo...people should talk, ask for directions etc..why dont they?? because the game is too easy..they dont need to ask stuff..anyone can do it easy ..and thats boring...i prefer to play a game..but warhammer is nothing about playing it plays by itself...

Its my opinion..im very sorry i dont like warhammer like you guys..but not everyone has the same tastes...

I know its a good game..but not averyone is going to like it...

So if you want a very different experience try Age of Conan (heheh). On a serious note though, have you tried EVE online or Vanguard (revisited)? Those games are different with Eve being an economy driven Sci fI space game with a very revolutionary skill system and VG is a true Sandbox RPG.

I am liking Warhammer (played MMOs since M59 and EQ) and find the further I go in the game the more I like it.. With many others it was the opposite for me. I liked it out of the gate but got bored as I went. Of course,  I like the Warhammer lore and have played Warhammer fantasy RPG and table top wargaming for ages. This helps my enjoyment factor.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384

The game is just plain boring, the scenarios are worse then the WoW Bgs with nothing new, there is no RvR on anything less then a High/High server in T2 and above, the graphics are sub par and the lag is horrid. The PQs are a grind and defend them as you might they are just another form of grinding. Server Imbalance and low pop servers will drive the masses away in the end along with piss poor client performance!

Oh and Skull Throne has crashed yet again last night, happens everyday yet Mark Jacob had the balls to say no server has crashed yet in an interveiw, wow what a flat out lie.

• APRAuroreAPRAurore Member Posts: 330

Somehow I fail to see the resemblence between WoW's art direction and graphics and WAR's. To me they look really different. There are some elements of the character models that are similar because of Warcraft ripping it off of Warhammer. But even then, there are huge differences. I love the look of WAR because it's bangon with the Warhammer miniatures and illustrations of the world. If Mythic had changed it, then I would have been 100% disappointed with the looks of the game. There isn't much that Mythic could have changed from how they put in the artwork since it's all based on Warhammer lore and art. Even though the graphics aren't the best, I like how the game looks. It meshes well together and a lot of attention was put into making the gameworld.

I also like how the game's combat was designed because it's what I expected for a game based on Warhammer. I feel like part of a large army of allies going up against the daunting force of an enemy army. To me what Mythic promised was exactly what we got. Other people can disagree, but I've been following the game for years and read forums, newsletters, etc and that's what Mythic delivered. For someone like me who enjoys both Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, but also doesn't have a lot of time to spend on playing games especially during the week, this game is perfect. My only beef so far is that Mythic made destruction a little too 'cool' so that there are population imbalances already. I rolled order and hope we still manage to survive against destro.

Things I like about WAR:

-immersive ToK. Yes it's a lot like LotRO's but you start getting more stuff straight away and with less grind. It takes LotRO's system several steps further.

-combat. It's faster than LotRO or EQ2, and on par with WoW's. I don't button mash in PvP. It's definitely not a button-mashing game. PvE is PvE and will usually be button-mashing.

-PvP/RvR. I like how scenarios were implemented though it's not my favourite form of PvP. I prefer world PvP and RvR. I haven't delved too much into it, but I think I'm going to really like it. I've played quite a few scenarios and have already bought some reknown gear. It's really cool that you can level and get money off of killing enemy players.

-every class seems to have a place. I was happy to see how many warrior priests there were playing alongside my own. I was afraid that everyone would roll dps and that there would be a few healers left. Fortunately, that hasn't happened.

Back in EvE. Started with BatMUD. Main MMOs have been EvE and DAoC.

• boomerangxboomerangx Member Posts: 254
    Originally posted by huxflux2004

Although one could tell by reading the info that Mythic was giving out during these last 2 years, this is now a fact for everyone. WAR is boring. No innovation at all. A game that plays exactly the same way as WoW or LotRO. All that PQ and ToK crap is nothing else than the usual MMO elements in a different wrapping (the wrapping being not very different itself). I need some answers from the fans. Why were you so excited with the ToK? How different is it from LotROs book thingy, and how can it change the way you are experiencing the game? What about PQs? What is so exciting about those? And the combat. Oh my. ABSOLUTELY no new ideas. Slow, repetitive, easy. As uninteresting as it can get.

The only thing I kind of like is GUI. Although it has bugs all over the place.

What game are you comparing it to that is so great? I mean if WAR bores you..what game excites you?

I always ask this question to these types of threads and it usually goes unanswered...

I play a lot of games...

• holonistholonist Member Posts: 181

Jesus , some of these guys are even trying to redefine the term MMORPG.

The trolling as reached unparallel levels in this forum.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

People are confusing artistic graphics with cartoon graphics.  Since warhammer takes the artistic look, people get pissed that the graphics arnt photo realistic.

no offense though, anything beats wow's horrible kiddie graphics.  I mean the characters look so goofy its not even funny.  Alt least war's characters look gritty and detailed.

Originally posted by holonist

Jesus , some of these guys are even trying to redefine the term MMORPG.
    The trolling as reached unparallel levels in this forum.

Your going to see this with every single new p2p mmo release. The more hype a given game will have the more hardcore troller will come out to try in any way possible to make wow look better.

What you see here is desperation.

if the game really was terrible or boring you would here a lot more complaining from the players, not just from the trolls.  Think AoC stlye revolts. 

• Sgt.ShatterSgt.Shatter Member Posts: 54

WoW  got boring in the first 30 minutes.

WAR got boring...after an hour.

So it's a small improvement to WoW. =]

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by dougmysticey 
    VG is a true Sandbox RPG.

Vanguard is NOT a sandbox MMO.  I wish people would quit saying that.   It has a few sandbox elements, but it is the same fomula and gameplay as every other linear EQ clone.

Originally posted by Sgt.Shatter

WoW  got boring in the first 30 minutes.
    WAR got boring...after an hour.

So it's a small improvement to WoW. =]

Perhaps mmo's arnt your cup of tea if your attention span is that short.

• Plays exactly the same as LOTRO and WoW?  Well I guess you proved you aren't very preceptive.

Good job!

Action points don't work like mana.  Overlooking morale makes you a bad player.  Neither game has tactics.  Neither game has Knockback.

Getting tired of repeating myself over and over.  Anyway good luck with thinking everything is the same even when its different. 

•      One thing mythic said from the very start and all through development and beta was that the game was about RvR. Not about crafting, quests, or any other aspect. WAR!  And I think they have done a great job with the RvR. You can go and actually take that keep from the other side. Warhammer has aspects of RvR that other games do not.

Not once do I ever remember Mythic saying you will have a whole new aspect of a game never seen before. Sure it's another MMO. However I see an MMO that has a lot of PvP and RvR. A game that has potential. The thing is all MMO's will always have quests, tomes, PvE, and PvP. As well as all the other aspects we see in other MMOs. Read the storylines. Find out why this is the way it is or how it got that way.

Sure Warhammer, Lord of the rings, World of Warcraft, and many others are basicly the same games in a different wrapper. But which one interests you? Me, I have been a warhammer player and fan since the game first appeared. Back when it was just a tabletop game. I also like the storyline in Warhammer Online more than the others. And yes I played those others also... alot.

So I ask you. Why flame a game? If they are all the same to you, then why not spend time playing and talking about the one you like the most rather than wasting time flaming the ones you don't?

Eckobah

• Balthaazar1Balthaazar1 Member Posts: 531

I much Perfer the artistic style of Warhammer than Warcraft..

img379.imageshack.us/my.php

img408.imageshack.us/img408/4848/sexysexyaz9.jpg

Needless to say, this game is also a hundred times funner than Warcraft which you seem to think is the king shit compared to Warhammer. It has about 20 scenarios instead of a few and the rvr actually has people in it, feeling like an epic war. The zones are tons bigger than Warcrafts and get progressively bigger as you advance in tiers. I feel like the art style of War is that of a good fantasy book come to life, while as Warcraft.. feels like an acid trip gone bad while watching kiddie cartoons. To each their own

------------------------------

'Cry Havoc, and Let Loose the Dogs of WARRRRR!!!'

• Originally posted by Eckobah

One thing mythic said from the very start and all through development and beta was that the game was about RvR. Not about crafting, quests, or any other aspect. WAR!  And I think they have done a great job with the RvR. You can go and actually take that keep from the other side. Warhammer has aspects of RvR that other games do not.
         Not once do I ever remember Mythic saying you will have a whole new aspect of a game never seen before. Sure it's another MMO. However I see an MMO that has a lot of PvP and RvR. A game that has potential. The thing is all MMO's will always have quests, tomes, PvE, and PvP. As well as all the other aspects we see in other MMOs. Read the storylines. Find out why this is the way it is or how it got that way.
         Sure Warhammer, Lord of the rings, World of Warcraft, and many others are basicly the same games in a different wrapper. But which one interests you? Me, I have been a warhammer player and fan since the game first appeared. Back when it was just a tabletop game. I also like the storyline in Warhammer Online more than the others. And yes I played those others also... alot.
         So I ask you. Why flame a game? If they are all the same to you, then why not spend time playing and talking about the one you like the most rather than wasting time flaming the ones you don't?
    Eckobah

If people really want to say that having tab targeting and hotbars makes any game's combat the same as WoW.  Then cars and motorcylces are the same thing since they both have internal combustion engines.

This while thing is silly.  There are fundamental differences in the combat mechanics.  The people who post stuff like this are just proving they did not play the game much at all or are just not very bright or perceptive.

This really not even a matter of opinion it is just sheer intellectualy laziness and close mindedness on their part.

I haven't even said whether WAR combat is good, but it is certainly not the same as WoW.   That is easy to prove.  And farnkly it is easily apparent as soon as you fight multiple targets at once.

"If people really want to say that having tab targeting and hotbars makes any game's combat the same as WoW. Then cars and motorcylces are the same thing since they both have internal combustion engines."

well lets not forget that wow copied everquests model 100%.

Why do people give wow credit for ideas that everquest, DAoC, and ultima online did way before them?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

To me it is highly entertaining. Love the world, the atmosphere to it and doing RvR + public quests and thus almost taking away the need to do regular quests is awesome.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804
    Originally posted by Itirel

Originally posted by TheSheikh

Thank you Huxflux..... for your intelligent and well written out response.....
    I believe I am going to go delete all of my characters and unsubscribe now, due to this realisation.

Happy to hear that. Now you might stop burning your brain cells and try out a more intelligent game, like EVE-Online.

I think TheSheikh was being sarcastic... I hope.

I guess the .....'s didn't work!

Next time I'll use the /sarcasm indicator.

STOP WHINING!

• Originally posted by TheSheikh

I believe I am going to go delete all of my characters and unsubscribe now, due to this realisation.

Happy to hear that. Now you might stop burning your brain cells and try out a more intelligent game, like EVE-Online.

Why play Eve when I can play an even more intelligenter game like scrabble, which has more action in it anyway.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494
    Originally posted by crunchyblack

"If people really want to say that having tab targeting and hotbars makes any game's combat the same as WoW. Then cars and motorcylces are the same thing since they both have internal combustion engines."
    well lets not forget that wow copied everquests model 100%.
    Why do people give wow credit for ideas that everquest, DAoC, and ultima online did way before them?

Because 90% of these trolls came into the genre with WoW.  All they know is WoW. 

• Originally posted by gestalt11

If people really want to say that having tab targeting and hotbars makes any game's combat the same as WoW.  Then cars and motorcylces are the same thing since they both have internal combustion engines.

This while thing is silly.  There are fundamental differences in the combat mechanics.  The people who post stuff like this are just proving they did not play the game much at all or are just not very bright or perceptive.

This really not even a matter of opinion it is just sheer intellectualy laziness and close mindedness on their part.

I haven't even said whether WAR combat is good, but it is certainly not the same as WoW.   That is easy to prove.  And farnkly it is easily apparent as soon as you fight multiple targets at once.

I see no where that I had said the combat system, RvR or other aspect was the same. In fact I didn't even mention the combat system. I was just trying to make a point. The point was that Mythic delivered on what they said they would and that all MMOs have a base. Crafting, Quests, and PvP. And obviously you missed the point.  Yes they are different after that.  The quests in WAR are far better just because of the storyline alone. The crafting isn't all that great, but they said that from the start. They never once said that crafting was going to be a major aspect of the game. The PvP and RvR are far better than WOW PvP. And since you missed the point i will tell you MY opinion of both WOW and Warhammer so that you know I have played them.

WOW is cartoonish in graphics. Almost every quest you do is to go out and kill something or to collect something you have to kill. The storyline is not all that great and does not tie into other aspects of the game. The combat system does mimic some other MMOs and the battlegrounds are nothing more than just the same old repeat. Not to mention they only have 4 (or is it 5? I havn't played in a few months).

WAR is more gruff graphics just as I exspected. It is focused on PvP and RvR unlike WOW and other MMOs. The storyline far exceeds other MMOs. There is a combat system that works with the PvP and RvR element of the game. And those even exceed other games.

And before you go stating fact. Make sure you get them first. I was just stating things in a simple way so people could understand. I was in WOW at Alpha and stayed until last year. I even went back for a while this year to see the changes they made. I also was there for the open beta and still am playing WAR. I personally love the game. So before you go flaming me, how about asking what I ment in a post. How about asking me a question or two before you assume what i mean or go to flame me. And above all, please give others that respect. People can say things different from others and still mean the same thing. They just say it in a different way. I was just trying to say it in a way that even someone new to MMOs could understand. But I guess that would make it hard for those whom have been playing for awhile. I appologize if i offended you or anyone (though I don't see where I did). However you have offended me by saying "This really not even a matter of opinion it is just sheer intellectualy laziness and close mindedness on their part." Not to mention you went on about the combat system and that wasn't even mentioned.

By the way. Before you make a comment about intellectual laziness..... learn how to spell. It make you look intellectually lazy.

Eckobah

• DroneDrone Member Posts: 18

I just went to my local (in the city 2 minute walk) game store to get the game, but they won't be getting it until monday.  So now I have to walk to the Mall which is about 20 minutes away.  Is this an omen not to get the game?  Or just the infinate struggle we face on a daily basis?

This game sounds like its for the casual gamer,  the one with the full time job any only a few hours if that a day to play.  So this game sounds very appealing.  I'm not interested in running 15 minutes to a dungeon, waiting at the dungeon entrance for a grp to show up and hopefully let me join them, then to dungeon it for 3 hours. 

Not to say i wouldn't do this once and awhile,  it isn't something that'd i want to do on a nightly basis, and these player quests seem to add all the punch in less time with the most enjoyablitiy.

I am a fan of PVE and this game sounds like its lacking it a bit, but not enough to deter me.  Hopefully I can be in WAR by this afternoon!

Your only Human

• Originally posted by Eckobah

Originally posted by gestalt11

I see no where that I had said the combat system, RvR or other aspect was the same. In fact I didn't even mention the combat system. I was just trying to make a point. The point was that Mythic delivered on what they said they would and that all MMOs have a base. Crafting, Quests, and PvP. And obviously you missed the point.  Yes they are different after that.  The quests in WAR are far better just because of the storyline alone. The crafting isn't all that great, but they said that from the start. They never once said that crafting was going to be a major aspect of the game. The PvP and RvR are far better than WOW PvP. And since you missed the point i will tell you MY opinion of both WOW and Warhammer so that you know I have played them.

WOW is cartoonish in graphics. Almost every quest you do is to go out and kill something or to collect something you have to kill. The storyline is not all that great and does not tie into other aspects of the game. The combats system does mimic some other MMOs and the battlegrounds are nothing more than just the same old repeat. Not to mention they only have 4 (or is it 5? I havn't played in a few months).

WAR is more gruff graphics just as I exspected. It is focused on PvP and RvR unlike WOW and other MMOs. The storyline far exceeds other MMOs. There is a combat system that works with the PvP and RvR element of the game. And those even exceed other games.

And before you go stating fact. Make sure you get them first. I was just stating things in a simple way so people could understand. I was in WOW at Alpha and stayed until last year. I even went back for a while this year to see the changes they made. I also was there for the open beta and still am playing WAR. I personally love the game. So before you go flaming me, how about asking what I ment in a post. How about asking me a question or two before you assume what i mean or go to flame me. And above all, please give others that respect. People can say things different from others and still mean the same thing. They just say it in a different way. I was just trying to say it in a way that even someone new to MMOs could understand. But I guess that would make it hard for those whom have been playing for awhile. I appologize if i offended you or anyone (though I don't see where I did). However you have offended me by saying "This really not even a matter of opinion it is just sheer intellectualy laziness and close mindedness on their part." Not to mention you went on about the combat system and that wasn't even mentioned.

By the way. Before you make a comment about intellectual laziness..... learn how to spell. It make you look intellectually lazy.

Eckobah

Who said I was flaming you?

"If people want to say" is not "If you want to say".  You are being too sensitive.   I did not use "people" to avoid a ban by weaseling out of actually attacking you specifically.

I used it because the point is tangential to your comments.

Edit:

Seriously it doesn't matter who did it first.  Is the whole MMORPG industry just a South Park episode.  Is that what this is reduced too?

Simpson's Did It!

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Why play Eve when I can play an even more intelligenter game like scrabble, which has more action in it anyway.

True... or just mess around MS Excel.  At least Excel is free, while EvE costs you monthly sub... and they're essentially the same thing.

•  I think the game is for both the caual and avid gamer. You can quest. And there are plenty of them. They have public quest areas to where you can just "click" and join a public group, eliminating the need to ask to be grouped.

The dungeons are broken down into 3 areas. It takes about an hour and a half on average. (depending on players and the size of the group) to do one section. You do not have to do all 3 areas at one time. you can do the first area tonight and the 2nd the next night if you wish. or all of them in one night. You do not even have to have the same group you started with. You enter a dungeon and you will see the other players there in that same dungeon. You can then join their group and continue on with them.  Each dungeon is designed to be completable with a group of 6 people.

I hope this helps you.

Eckobah

• AstralGethAstralGeth Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by Vato26

True... or just mess around MS Excel.  At least Excel is free, while EvE costs you monthly sub... and they're essentially the same thing.

Weird, two common complaints against EVE are "it's a spreadsheet / no action" and "you just get ganked randomly at gates by old players."

Makes me realize most people don't "get" EVE. Your experience is up to what YOU make of it.

This discussion has been closed.