Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unsure - To war or not to war...

Im currently a Age of Conan player, and i cant say i "hate" the game, but it does have quite a few annoyances (proberbly a understatement!) - but it is still fun at times.

I had originally pre-ordered War, and Played the Open Beta, however i found the Combat to be slow and dull in both PvE and PvP aspects of the game, so i sold it to a friend of mine.

I'll be the first to admit that, yes, i didnt really give it a proper chance (didnt really have time too during OB), however it did show me one thing: It has some great ideas (PQ's, RvR etc) and it runs great

(Not that im a fan of its dated graphics!)

What killed it for me was, after Age of Conan (who's combat system is great) - it just felt slow, now wether this was because i only got to lvl 8, i dunno.

Im not a fan of Warhammer, infact i think people that Collect the figures, care about the lore, and so on, are "sad" (sorry!)

Because of this "Disinterest" in the IP/lore (and the combat) - im really unsure wether to give it another good bash, as its tempting, but im "on the edge" so to speak.

Can anyone comment on The combat @ Higher levels/the PvP and wether you need to be interested in the lore to find it fun?

Cheers ;)

Comments

• sonicwhipsonicwhip Member UncommonPosts: 117

3 words

world of warcraft

• AvengerUK1AvengerUK1 Member UncommonPosts: 7

Should proberbly of mentioned i disliked WoW - had no sense of purpose, dull quests, (and it confused me...lol)

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

I used to play the tabletop figure game, and it was a blast for me to see all the races and characters inside a living, breathing MMO world. But, to be honest, I haven't really enjoyed the game that much yet. My chaos chosen is only rank 12 so far, but I had alot more fun when playing through the first levels of WoW. I can just hope it gets better now, but I have my doubts. Otherwise, it's back to WoW for me.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    Originally posted by AvengerUK1

Im currently a Age of Conan player, and i cant say i "hate" the game, but it does have quite a few annoyances (proberbly a understatement!) - but it is still fun at times.
    I had originally pre-ordered War, and Played the Open Beta, however i found the Combat to be slow and dull in both PvE and PvP aspects of the game, so i sold it to a friend of mine.
    I'll be the first to admit that, yes, i didnt really give it a proper chance (didnt really have time too during OB), however it did show me one thing: It has some great ideas (PQ's, RvR etc) and it runs great
    (Not that im a fan of its dated graphics!)
    What killed it for me was, after Age of Conan (who's combat system is great) - it just felt slow, now wether this was because i only got to lvl 8, i dunno.
    Im not a fan of Warhammer, infact i think people that Collect the figures, care about the lore, and so on, are "sad" (sorry!)
    Because of this "Disinterest" in the IP/lore (and the combat) - im really unsure wether to give it another good bash, as its tempting, but im "on the edge" so to speak.
    Can anyone comment on The combat @ Higher levels/the PvP and wether you need to be interested in the lore to find it fun?
    Cheers ;)

Same situation here

With all the drawbacks AOC still loved it but then at the end of the day I didnt have fun in the game.Also my guild has dispersed the guild city in tatters now.

With WAR I am having fun but still not sure whether I should buy this game or not

I am in EU and with CE preorder codes so we got 7 more days over the 7 days grace period till 1st Oct to test the game

How amazing it would have been to have AOC graphics and combat system but teh gameplay like WAR .Totally next gen and it would have buried WOW.

With WAR what it lack is the feeling of self and self gratification .You cannot make a dent anywhere in this game if u like solo.Its all about RVR.the scenarios PQs and RVR

but at the end of the day u do feel like for yourself u didnt do much .You cant build houses , neither the crafting system is any good .So not sure il continue til the 1st and then decide.

• AmpallangAmpallang Member Posts: 396

If I may add my own question in here, I have not played WOW, AOC, or LOTR, and have never played the table top version of the game.  My favorite MMO thus far has been Anarchy Online.  Now with that in mind, would this game be worth considering?

If you are not being responded to directly, you are probably on my ignore list.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    Originally posted by Ampallang

If I may add my own question in here, I have not played WOW, AOC, or LOTR, and have never played the table top version of the game.  My favorite MMO thus far has been Anarchy Online.  Now with that in mind, would this game be worth considering?

difficult to say

The game is all about RVR

Having said that I converted from a PVE hardcore to RVR fairly quick.

I admitt that the 1st thing I do when I log in is queue in for scenario nothing like killing ORDER players.

Last 3 days I havent done quests I just run with anyone going for RVR

You do the feel of excitement and kill .

I havent ever played WOW nor I am in wAR lore so I was able to play for what the game offers

Although some things of a MMO it lacks liek player hosuing, robust crafting systems etc

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

just about any combat compared to AoC is going to feel slow in comparison.

Also the higher rank you get the more skills you get, the faster combat becomes.

Rember this really isnt a solo type game.  When its your team vs another team the combat is much more intense and fast.

Also if you really want faster pve combat, roll a melee dps character, i found them the best for solo pve...Tanks are not suppose to kill fast, they are suppose to die slow.

This game isnt going to be for everyone, but i find that the more i play the better it gets.  I do agree the first hour of my first time playing i wasnt very impressed...infact it was only around level 11 in beta that i really started to enjoy myself.  Its kind of hard to grasp the game when you got 3 skills and have no idea what to do yet.

• Hmmmm tough to say.

WAR combat is paced, but not exactly slow.  This also depends on class.

You do not need to be interested in the lore.  But obviously it helps.  If the look bothers you well you can figure that out yourself.

Does combat get better in hgoher leves?  Yes definitely.  For example a Swordmaster does not get any Aoe until level 14.  They do not get a knockback until level 16.  Just those two things open up quite a bit more game options.

When you consider at 32 they get morale ability to jump 100 or so feet and lay down a 60% snare in a 30 foot area.  Yeah gameplay option certain expand.  That ability alone can be used to penetrate line offesnively or to save a squishy if you are over extended.

The difference between having it and not having as far as what you can do is pretty major.

On that note these sorts of considerations are the major draw of WAR.  The combat is not slow, although it can be a little clunky.  But its not BAM HEADSHOT either.  The whole point of the fast regeneration AP system is to have a constant battle and part of the that is sustained fights that take out maneuvering to win if the other side is good.

There are and will be zergs in WAR.  And numbers are important etc etc.  But in order to enjoy the combat you need to be thinking about how to stay alive and about maneuver/perform the enemy.

If this is not your cup of tea don't bother retrying.  If it sounds interesting then that would need to be what you go in expecting rather than two shotting people in 2 seconds. Or suddenly getting a huge fatality with a combo.  Doesn't work that way.  Yeah you can get crits and hur tpeople bad.  Yeah you can focus fire someone and kill them fast but that isn't the main idea or thrust of the combat system.

Originally posted by Ampallang

Anarchy online was one of my favorite mmo's also.

Warhammer is like a battle station focused game, only you can jump into the action right off the bat, level and get loot though it, and you dont have to be twinked to be good, less about 1vs1 pvp and more about teamwork though.

It also has a lot of things to do, like AO,  pve, open field RvR scenarios (like the battle stations) Public quests, sieges.

It also has a kind of anarchy feel with the use of siege weapons in open field RvR, kind of like summoning mechs.

However it is severly lacking in the scifi department and theres no trox's in pink tutu's (sadly)

• AmpallangAmpallang Member Posts: 396

Oh god no Atroxes in their skivvies?  My God, that's it I'm not playing this game until a genderless and geneticallly engineered workhorse is added in. 

On a more serious note, the game sounds like it has appeal and may be worth a shot.  What's 50 dollars afterall?

If you are not being responded to directly, you are probably on my ignore list.

its a shame you missed the free download + free beta week.

i would sepnd the money if your into RvR, if you really dont like it, and didnt like battle stations in AO then the game might not have the fun factor your looking for.

•      I have played WOW, AOC, and many other MMOs. It's all I do is game. And a lot of them I was there for the beta. Thus I have just a few comments for you all to think about.

Warhammer is a new game. No way you can make any judgement about an entire game until you have played it. And by play it i mean more than just an hour or even a week. It would be like me saying i hate orange juice when all I did was look at the color of it. There is no way for you to get the full aspect of an MMO from just a short time of playing.

Unlike other games, Mythic never said they would have something in the game and then it was not there. They have delivered on what they said they would. RvR and PvP. They said that the game was not about crafting or all the other fancy stuff. They said from the very start that it was about war.

Warhammer has been around for a long time. It has gone from a tabletop game to an MMO. The lore and stories you find in the MMO are much more full and interesting than the other MMOs.  Games Workshop has been working on storyline for over 20 years and they have it down. I find most people today do not even bother with the storyline. Have you read the storyline?

Not every MMO is for everyone. Find the one you like and spend your time with that one instead of wasting time flaming the ones you don't. EVE is a great example. I know alot of people (including a lot of my friends) that will not play that game because they can not stand to lose what they worked so hard for. If your ship gets blown up, you lost it for real. Warhammer is about war! PvP and RvR. You can take and hold things in this MMO. I personally like that.

In WOW and a few other games once you max out all that is left is the battlegrounds. And all you can do in those battlegrounds is kill or be killed. Yup you can get rewards, some type of fame and/or title just like all the MMOs. But there is no territory or objectives you can just go take and hold if you wish. Nothing like going and taking a keep from those playing Order.

So the final outcome is that Warhammer is about PvP and RvR. If you don't like those, you won't like the game. If you are looking for crafting and other aspects then you have not been following the media that Mythic has been pumping out of the past couple of years. They have delivered on what they said they would. Sure I see housing and such coming in the future. After all they did it in Dark age of Camolot which is a Mythic game.

Eckobah