Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Insider: Content, DX 10, More!

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Hyborian Insider: New Content, DX 10 and More! MMORPG.com has received an exclusive English version of Funcom's most recent Hyborian Insider. In it, Erling Ellingson tells us about some of the new content that is being added into the game as well as some information on (and a good look at) some of the DX 10 features that are planned for the game.

Watch the interview here

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

Too little too late.  By the time the get this out, War and Wow's expansion pack will be up and running and AoC will be strictly an afterthought.    Look for server merges after the first of the year because AoC will just be a small niche game after that.  Too many bad initial design decicions to correct to ever resurrect this game.

• drarkanexdrarkanex Member Posts: 153

Agreed, a little too late Erling.  No one cares anymore about DX10 and the content that was promised on launch.  

• deguildevingdeguildeving Member Posts: 12

Worst thing I read here is that they are just sharing some DX10 features that are PLANNED.  I was expecting months ago to see someday that the DX10 features were completed.  This company has no clue how to build a successful game.  I'm sure DX11 will be out by the time they get 10 up and running.

• corpsman77corpsman77 Member Posts: 17

I'm sorry, Erling but it is too little, too late.

ALL of that was promised AT launch.  You will never get those subscribers back after you horrific launch and subsequent "patching" since then.

Try used car sales -- you'll be better at it.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

I actually went back to AoC as Warhammer just did not work for me. But, I do not expect to stay long.

With still no new content, no PvP patch (promised for Tuesday...wont hold my breath) nd DX10 just a talking point...this game is falling fast.

I saw first hand the low population of the servers (the best excuse on the AoC fourms? Ike is causing lower player pops...but, for some reason did not prevent players from logging inot WAR more on X-Fire than AoC), and if this patch does not deliver Tuesday, then I agree.....

Server merges will happen, and AoC can join LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard and other illustrious low scrip games for their niche.

• ninjajucerninjajucer Member Posts: 219

I think I'd rather play a nice game of chess than re-subscribe to that funcom mess. Nice graphics and boobs do not make a great game.

• xcvx73xcvx73 Member UncommonPosts: 33

And War is an Epic Failure....WOW 2.0 with low end graphics (I was in CB and OB).   AOC maybe will rise again...

Maybe DARKFALL or TCOS will be what we expect?

Until that ..I remain to AOC....I hope from Wednesday I will not play AOC Beta any more :)

• PixistixPixistix Member Posts: 4

Ok so,

Wait wait wasn't DX10 a supported feature on the release box? You mean to say this wasn't in the game on release?

Can you cough Scammers?

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I could never get past AOC's performance.  So if that improves and they offer a free trial I might give it a go.  It would have to be a trial worth reinstalling the game on my hard drive, not some weak Tabula Rasa like 3 day trial.  Two week trial would be good.

If performance is unchanged or even worse, then I am over a year away from even trying the game again because that is when I will be buying/building a new computer.

I have an Xbox 360/pc controller so I would be curious to try out the functionality and implementation as well.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Terranah

I could never get past AOC's performance.  So if that improves and they offer a free trial I might give it a go.  It would have to be a trial worth reinstalling the game on my hard drive, not some weak Tabula Rasa like 3 day trial.  Two week trial would be good.

If performance is unchanged or even worse, then I am over a year away from even trying the game again because that is when I will be buying/building a new computer.

I have an Xbox 360/pc controller so I would be curious to try out the functionality and implementation as well.

I play with a 360 controller, and it adds an extra step of fun to the game. Maybe that is why I enjoy it more than WAR.

Hard to say.

I do NOT enjoy empty servers though. And as today the discussion is on the PvP patch coming in "waves", so tomorrow is not the "FULL" patch but bits and pieces...can we say even more empty servers?

MAJOR mistake!

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

The "missing" content is just a small step to fill the gaps that currently exist in the game. Even though many of the promised features were not in the game at launch (or underperformed so much as to make them pointless), I actually enjoyed AoC for a couple of months. I don't get as much time as I used to for MMO play so when I finally got to the content light areas, it became very difficult for me to even get motivated enough to play.  Now that the PvP patch is coming out finally, many of the balance changes are heavy PvE nerfs. As I rarely PvP to begin with, I'm just not interested in playing AoC at all anymore. It's a crying shame that the game has turned out like this but I believe there is still hope that I can be turned around.  However, I'm not going to pay them and wait it out.  I'm moving on. Maybe in a year or so if I run out of other "interesting" MMO's, I'll check back in to AoC.  However, the empty server issue is not one I see getting better in the immediate future. Good luck to all who stick with AoC and good luck to all that have left!

• lukaszkamlukaszkam Member Posts: 38

again, he is booooring, instead of adding dx10 and things, thay should think of "repairing" the whole game. the trees are not moving.... no wind there for 4 months? lol and except the ones on the beach, they didn't show they move.... it is NOT the time to come back to AoC now, maybe in a year... not now

• NogginNoggin Member Posts: 808
    Originally posted by ninjajucer

I think I'd rather play a nice game of chess than re-subscribe to that funcom mess. Nice graphics and boobs do not make a great game.

We could have a game of Snap if you like.

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182

It's quite clear now (FunCom confirmed it) that FunCom is not concerned about offering players a release quality game anytime soon -- they are taking their sweet time getting Age of Conan polished. 

Translated into plain English, that means that while quite a lot is "PLANNED" for Age of Conan, players should not expect a release quality game with most of the promised features in game and working decently, for at least another 6 months to a year from now.

That said, game performance is actually pretty decent now.  There's still some memory sink issues (whose causes are known), but while not totally resolved, they've markedly improved these issues and I have no doubt they will eventually eliminate it. 

Not to sound elitist (it's a money issue for some) but this is true for any PC Game -- if your computer system doesn't meet the *RECOMMENDED* (not the minimum) specifications on the game box, and no matter how much you want to play it, you'd be wise to walk away and come back only when your computer has been upgraded to handle it.  I'm tired of hearing people with antiquated systems serve us whine with their cheese because their computer is to old to play today's games properly.   

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

I'm done with this game. I won't go into the 1000 fold played out arguments and discussions about why they are failures. Sorry, Ellingson, but even those of my friends who are dumb enough to stick with your product, they laugh out loud when they see you explaining things. You are now a mascot for Age of Conan's failures.

From what the insiders (Funcom employees) say, the financial situation is very precarious right now. No surprises there.  They worked hard to deliver the numbers and money flow for their investors but they have failed. Next time (if there is one) maybe they will realize it is better to be honest and less ambitious and to set realistic goals. If you tout features for months on end in dozens of interviews and videos, and it remains absent, expect a big chunk of your consumer base to be annoyed, and thus, your profits will flounder.

Nice to see they are finally getting around to something  that was printed on the retail box as an included feature. Pathetic.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218

All these new features they're "working on" were supposed to be in game at release.

I'm not impressed, and months later... I still feel cheated.

They ruined what could have possibly been one of the most profitable MMO I.P.'s

• Rebn77Rebn77 Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by ZDPhoenix

All these new features they're "working on" were supposed to be in game at release.

You are incorrect.

Sorry Bloodworth, but you are the incorrect one.

DX10 was supposed to be in at launch, they pulled it JUST PRIOR to release.

The PvP reward system was supposed to be in at launch, and was one of the MOST HYPED aspects of the game.

Ymirs pass is NOT A NEW ZONE. It was in game prior to launch, but was removed.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

I am stoked on how DX 10 looks I just wish they would of waited to have the game ready for release with high end content instead of releasing it when it was not ready.   

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804
    Originally posted by xcvx73

And War is an Epic Failure....WOW 2.0 with low end graphics (I was in CB and OB).   AOC maybe will rise again...
    Until that ..I remain to AOC....I hope from Wednesday I will not play AOC Beta any more :)

Stop bullshitting, WAR is not a "epic" failure just because you hate the graphics and think it to be a WoW clone. I doubt you were in the CB and doubt you played the OB long if you did in the first place.

On topic, why doesn't Funcom worry about gameplay issues before they go putting more lipstick on the pig.

STOP WHINING!

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Originally posted by openedge1

Originally posted by Terranah

I play with a 360 controller, and it adds an extra step of fun to the game. Maybe that is why I enjoy it more than WAR.

Hard to say.

I do NOT enjoy empty servers though. And as today the discussion is on the PvP patch coming in "waves", so tomorrow is not the "FULL" patch but bits and pieces...can we say even more empty servers?

MAJOR mistake!

Yeah, that's what I heard about the controller.  I like a mouse and keyboard, but I am always open to trying something new.

Empty servers do suck.  There are quite a few games like that around here who have low population, but otherwise might be a lot of fun if only more people played.  Sometimes with the older games, there are people playing, but not in the starter areas.  As a result, it becomes a lonely and sometimes frustrating experience.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Originally posted by TheSheikh

Originally posted by xcvx73

Stop bullshitting, WAR is not a "epic" failure just because you hate the graphics and think it to be a WoW clone. I doubt you were in the CB and doubt you played the OB long if you did in the first place.

On topic, why doesn't Funcom worry about gameplay issues before they go putting more lipstick on the pig.

How dare you make sexist comments about Sarah Palin like that!

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

I would love to go back, both me and my wife loved AOC wanted to stay..

But they lied to us.

Its classed as a mature game but all we have is mostly male players dressing up and showing of female parts (big tip guys most female players get to see there boobies every moring when they get up, they do not need to go around in a game with there tops off).

In development they had adult content like AI run brothels lol and what happened to our special fun pub brawls ??

all was toned down.

And AoC is one of the only games mmo that has a pet class where your pet has no ability to keep agro (frenzy doesn't count)

See if you look at the description of your bomb pet the one that  explodes if attacked you can see it was meant to be able to draw agro.

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

I'll stick with LOTRO.   Some people think it's boring, but I like the PVE focus.  And it's a game that was going in the right direction they day it launched.

• PixistixPixistix Member Posts: 4

It's not as much that it didnt preform well as it simply crashed every so often. Also i think they didnt nearly put enough instancing in the game. I mean i knew it would be instanced or atleast more so. But so much as to every door = a new instance is simply rediculous.

Only thing good i care to mention good about this game is the way it looks. It's a really nice looking game.

I mean even the combat system got booring after a while. It also started to hurt after a while, in the fingers i mean.

I was really keen on trying to do some spellweaving the thing that was Hugly famous. Like OMG MAKE YOUR OWN SPELLS WITH SPELLWEAVING. Thing come's out and Poof there it is!!! no Spellweaving. I mean it has been 3 months or some since release and they didnt even implement ANY of the above. Gets you thinking if they were even slightly close to being ready when they released it. I mean i know there werent ready. But they delivered a completly unfinished game that was kept together by some scrap code's. Some people might c this as a flame but really it isnt. If this game works for you. Then please play it. Just don't say crap about other game's looking crap because this game isn't even finished + you and me got scammed buying this crap.

That's just my 2 cents. Put em where you like.

xx

• BigBlackWookBigBlackWook Member Posts: 133

HAHAHAHA

This is starting to be as entertaining as watching swg devs flub there mistakes.