Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

8800 GTX: nVidia Drivers That Work for Warhammer?

After much troubleshooting, I have determined that my crashes are caused not by my X-Fi sound card, but by my eVGA 8800 GTX. I can assure you that the card has no overheating issues or hardware failures. It stays fairly cool, a nice 79 C on load (which is pretty good for a GPU). I can play all other 15 games I have loaded onto my hard drive with no issue.

However, as much as anyone else with the same card can tell you, nVidia has been driving their reputation off a cliff "Thelma & Louise"-style with their drivers. Warhammer Online, being a new game not-yet-on-shelves, is lacking subsequent support from nVidia. EA Mythic does not post a recommended driver version on their website, and the problem seems to persist across all nVidia drivers, BETA and WHQL.

The problem itself is a graphical crash - the screen freezes with some colorful corruption. Despite this fact, the card does not entirely crash the computer. I can still communicate over vent and even attempt to CTRL-ALT-DEL out to kill the .exe. This was an issue I observed in Battlefield 2 years back that was later fixed by a released driver.

My latest attempt has been version 177.92, a beta driver. I cannot run 175.19 because City of Heroes will then not launch appropriately. 175.16 was solid, except that Hellgate: London would crash on those. Much to my frustration, there never seems to be a driver that will allow me to play a consistent number of games without issue. I just want a version that will not suck for all my games. I don't want to load up a certain driver in order to play a certain game.

For anyone who has gone through this experience with Warhammer Online, has there been any conclusion - is there a driver that has fixed problems regarding graphical crashes, freezes, or lockups for you?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Shadow786Shadow786 Member UncommonPosts: 210

Try this www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/163237 although thats for 32 bit i have a 64 bit version you will have to look for that one.

That driver works fine for me and i play: Assassins Creed, Loki, Bioshock, War, LOTRO, Crysis, Spore, Turok, FEAR, C&C3, DMC4, The Witcher, Mass Effect, Rainbow 6 vegas 2, Stalker, Company of Heroes, Forged Alliance, NWN2, BW2, Gothic 3, Timeshift, Mercenaries 2, Gears of War, Grid, Flatout Challenge, Overlord, Oblivion.

I have got all those games and have been tried with that driver

Edit: My card is the 8800 GTX Nvidia Stock (no branding) and on load goes upto 65oC (antec 1200 rocks)

• severity3severity3 Member Posts: 264

I have the evga 8800 gt oc edition. I have also had some troubles similar to what you listed. In addition, I get a bit of stutter and do very poorly in crowded rvr areas. As you stated , my system runs everything els efluidly.

The drivers I use are the latest listed beta drivers.

I apologize, I am not answering your thread with a solution, just an emphatic, "me too".

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263

No apology needed. It is just good to hear I am not the only one feeling the 8-series woes.

Originally posted by Shadow786

Try this www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/163237 although thats for 32 bit i have a 64 bit version you will have to look for that one.

That driver works fine for me and i play: Assassins Creed, Loki, Bioshock, War, LOTRO, Crysis, Spore, Turok, FEAR, C&C3, DMC4, The Witcher, Mass Effect, Rainbow 6 vegas 2, Stalker, Company of Heroes, Forged Alliance, NWN2, BW2, Gothic 3, Timeshift, Mercenaries 2, Gears of War, Grid, Flatout Challenge, Overlord, Oblivion.

I have got all those games and have been tried with that driver

Interesting... I must have missed this version. I will give it a go and report back on my findings. It may take a bit because the crashes happen once in every 3 or 4 play sessions, but I'll let you know anyway =)

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Interesting.  I hsave an evga 8800 gt SSC -- no crash to desktop errors but I did get that stutter that was mentioned two posts before.  I'm still using the old 169.12 vista 32-bit drivers as anything after that gives me a display driver failed message while playing CoX  (note, I still get the failure with the 169 driver but not as frequently it seems).

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

my sister and my step dad seem to have the same deal over at there place i have no problums at all with a 8600 GTS besides the game crashes the are the games fault that hapen 1 time every few hours

• CerraCerra Member Posts: 44

Same here.. 8800 GT OC card .. I love the card, sadly just not in Warhammer. It works beautifully in EQ2, which graphics there are extremely high and on a pvp server, I "rarely" lag, studder, skip ect. I was disappointed once I entered T2 pvp ( empire side) lots of ppl on both sides, I could barely move if at all without locking up in 3 second incriments.

I finally just took the card out and put in my old 7600 GT OC till the issue is resolved :(

Originally posted by therain93

Interesting.  I hsave an evga 8800 gt SSC -- no crash to desktop errors but I did get that stutter that was mentioned two posts before.  I'm still using the old 169.12 vista 32-bit drivers as anything after that gives me a display driver failed message while playing CoX  (note, I still get the failure with the 169 driver but not as frequently it seems).

Are you running Vista, with the Dreamscene? If so turn Dreamscene off stick with a static wallpaper until they fix the problem.

• ZahzulZahzul Member Posts: 69

hmm... I have an 8800 gtx in an nvidia 680i mobo and have no probs at all running War. I am using the latest drivers released in may.

• DreadbladeDreadblade Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by Cerra

Same here.. 8800 GT OC card .. I love the card, sadly just not in Warhammer. It works beautifully in EQ2, which graphics there are extremely high and on a pvp server, I "rarely" lag, studder, skip ect. I was disappointed once I entered T2 pvp ( empire side) lots of ppl on both sides, I could barely move if at all without locking up in 3 second incriments.
    I finally just took the card out and put in my old 7600 GT OC till the issue is resolved :(

Humm interesting I have a 7800GS with the latest drivers and I have the same issues, T2 RvR and keeps bring me to a stand still and is one of the main reasons, I am still on the fence about this game.

Sorry, some further details are probably appropriate. I apologize for being brief in my original post.

It is a eVGA 8800 GTX 768mb PCI-E video card running on Windows Visa Ultimate 64-Bit SP1 and a 680i SLI motherboard with 4GB of DDR2-1066 and a Intel QX6700 2.66Ghz Quad CPU.

Everything is running stock - I don't trust myself with overclocking :)

[EDIT]: I did find the 64 Bit version of the 177.79 drivers at eVGA's website, but their FTP is down. I will try again later tonight.

• CruiseCruise Member Posts: 39

Nvidia has 177.92 showing as an August Beta release. It's not WHQL certified but I'm going to give it a shot. I have dual 8800 GT 512's in SLI (I've set SLI mode in the 3D control panel to single GPU until I see some support documents from Mythic on enabling SLI).

I did note a post in another forum from a previous closed Beta player stating they saw much improved graphics by turning Anisotropic filtering to 16x and Antialiasing to 16x as well, placing Antialiasing into 'Override any application setting' for the mode.

Unfortunately I'm I won't be on until SE Headstart, so I won't be able to report back on the Beta drivers or the 3D changes.

*Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm running WinXP Pro SP 2 on this rig, with 3 gigs of DDR 800...it's a Dell 610

If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who will.

• ImjinImjin Member Posts: 366

This is strange as I have the 8800 gt oc as well but havent had any issues at all. The last time I updated my drivers was right before AOC released.

Hopefully they get this issue taken care of asap for those having trouble

Fungerer som det skal

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Actually, your issues may actually be caused by the XFI sound card.

I had exactly the same problem with my 8800 GTS and an XFI card.

Blue Screens, Lock-ups, Sound Locks, etc.

Was just about to reformat my hard-drive when I decide that I would try one-more-thing.

I removed the XFI and replaced it with an old Audigy2 that I had.

Since then, no problems.

None at all.

May not apply to you, but for gosh sake, take out that XFI and see before taking other more drastic measures.

Good Hunting

Originally posted by Imjin

This is strange as I have the 8800 gt oc as well but havent had any issues at all. The last time I updated my drivers was right before AOC released.

There are a lot of dependencies between the GT and GTX models. Game developers typically engineer games with the status quo of  "our customers' card will have either: 128mb, 256mb, 512mb, or possibly 1gb of GPU memory".

When nVidia released their 8800GTX with 768mb and the lower specced GT with 320+mb video cards, it sent the development community into a frenzy - they had to go back and unit test their code with this new memory format. One prime example was Lord of the Rings Online. The game would crash because the code simply did not contain an odd allocation for rendering.

It is a possible reason why some people with an 8-series card with 512mb have no issues, while others with 768mb have a difficult time running a few titles.

I went to nVidia's 177.92 website, replaced the URL substring "177.92" with "177.79" and found them that way.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_177.79_beta.html

Tell me how it goes, if it still occurs its not the gfx card since i have the same card as you (both were nvidia stock at some point) and 768 mb of memory however it coems to 2gb as vista is supplying the extra bit.

• JTJT Member Posts: 401

I use an EVGA 8800GTX, GDDR 3, 768MB, PCI-E Superclocked that I bought a few years back when they were top of the line.  At this time I have had no graphic issues with WH.

Originally posted by JT

I use an EVGA 8800GTX, GDDR 3, 768MB, PCI-E Superclocked that I bought a few years back when they were top of the line.  At this time I have had no graphic issues with WH.

Could you post the driver version you are currently using? Much appreciated!

I also found Guru3D's 177.98 discovery here:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-177.98-Vista-(64-bit)-download-2055.html

Originally posted by JT

Theyre still an overkill for todays games bar crysis but that could change with the new optimised warhead. I bought the 8800 gtz this year simply because the 9 series were nothing compared to what you would pay for 8 series for performance.

• Rebn77Rebn77 Member Posts: 321

I'm using the 177.98 on both my 8800GTX and my 9800GX2 and have had no problems with WAR on either system. I'm also using a highly tweaked and stream lined Vista x64 with Overclocking on both system CPUs and GPUs.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

i use a geforce 8800 GTS and i get the stuttering issues as but for me it only happens in empire/chaos area and only when theres alot of people. it runs all other areas fine even scenerios.

• SpyridonZSpyridonZ Member Posts: 289

I've played WAR smoothly on my laptop with a GeForce 7600GO.

You will be fine.

After careful study, I have discovered that almost all of my crashes take place within the Nordenwatch scenario. I want to attribute my crashing issues with the game code alone, but I think nVidia and EA Mythic need to sync up and get some fixes into the next driver version.

I wanted to take some notes on the current drivers I am using: 177.92. I will now move on to 177.79. More on that soon.

• SpyridonZSpyridonZ Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Stellus

After careful study, I have discovered that almost all of my crashes take place within the Nordenwatch scenario. I want to attribute my crashing issues with the game code alone, but I think nVidia and EA Mythic need to sync up and get some fixes into the next driver version.
    I wanted to take some notes on the current drivers I am using: 177.92. I will now move on to 177.79. More on that soon.

Try 175.19. I've never crashed except when alt tabbing.

These days, aside from video drivers, I find sound drivers or codecs to cause most crashes.

I had loads of sound card issues w/ Mass Effect that I fixed up... and a messed up Bink codec made Assassins Creed's sounds skip to a point it was unplayable, and common crashes.

If those drivers dont fix your problem, try removing your sound card and disabling any on board sound, and see if you still crash.

Originally posted by SpyridonZ

Originally posted by Stellus

Try 175.19. I've never crashed except when alt tabbing.

These days, aside from video drivers, I find sound drivers or codecs to cause most crashes.

I had loads of sound card issues w/ Mass Effect that I fixed up... and a messed up Bink codec made Assassins Creed's sounds skip to a point it was unplayable, and common crashes.

If those drivers dont fix your problem, try removing your sound card and disabling any on board sound, and see if you still crash.

I am hesitant to use 175.19. I still play City of Heroes on occasion and with that version, the game won't load properly. I had to roll back to 175.16 in order to remedy the problem. I will try it out with Warhammer though just to isolate the issue.

Sound will probably be the next experiment since uninstalling Creative's trash drivers are more of a hassle.