Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trial Island secretly launched to public - Now Official

Official VG Trial Isle launched today.  Here is the link... 

http://vanguard.station.sony.com/isleofdawn/

This will give you access to the Free Trial - Isle of Dawn.  It is levels 1-10 and you need to subscribed to leave the island.

Time to set yourself free...Heroes Reborn

Comments

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089

Unless they've substantially changed the mainland, having 10 levels of polish isn't going to help. It'll just piss more people off when they see the difference between the trial and what they end up paying for.

• SholShol Member Posts: 361

The trial is made from the Kojan landscape and objects and all game-mechanics are the same.

Beside seeing a lot less people, whats this big difference youre talking about?

I just stumpled across a thread on the VG forum where people say that the starter isle is too easy so give a false impression (+ gear you get is too good).

• JenakaJenaka Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by WisebutCruel

Unless they've substantially changed the mainland, having 10 levels of polish isn't going to help. It'll just piss more people off when they see the difference between the trial and what they end up paying for.

It's sounds like maybe you need to try the game again. I started playing Vanguard 2 weeks ago. I get very good performance, have found very few bugs, and there's tons of content. I'm enjoying the game a great deal and plan on staying :)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

LOL,are you for real?This game did not and will not ever need polish.I played this game from day 1 and it has ALWAYS been a better visual game than anything i have ever played.I might add that i never had any problems others were ,the odd invisible zone load chunks,that's expected with a much higher poly game than the garbage people are used to.

As far as easy goes,i didn't notice anything different than ALL games,where it is ALWAYS easy to play the early levels.Actually if anything they were at times more challenging than a lot of games.

There may be a few ideas in VANGUARD that people may not or do like,but i guarantee a ton more effort and polish was put into this game than say WOW a 5 year old game,that has done NOTHING  to polish it up.You got Blizzard raping players for millions and putting nothing back into the game,and here you got a game that was designed by a small DEV[Sigil]and yet put more effort into the game.I realize Vanguard was a newer project ,but hey RUNESCAPE a F2P game put out the effort to upgrade there graphics why can't Blizzard?This is why i don't support crap like WOW,when i do support developers it will be the ones that have actually put out the effort.

It's now a SOE game,but it's still not there fault,players out there are trying to use console type PC's for gaming.You can play console graphics in any BLizzard game or enjoy a much higher quality game in VAnguard.IDK but i'd much rather pay for quality over hype or pay for something ,just because it can run on a 10 year old PC lol.

I pay attention to the gaming industry quite closely and there still is not one game out there in the MMORPG genre that can equal,Vanguards quality,well FFXI can but is like WOW for ancient graphics.It really says a lot when the only other visual and quality game just so happens to also be an SOE product...EQ2.I don't play anything right now,so no i'm not a fanbois, i just have to speak out ,when i hear rubbish about quality of games.I have never playe LOTR i hear that game has quality,but i have seen a lot fo there HD videos and it's not in the same class visually as Vanguard,even there newest installment,that mines video shows poor texture use and very bland looks.

Vanguard is a very good game with a few flaws and an empty world,the latter they have no control over.It is too bad or i would be playing Vanguard myself,i still wouldn't play a game like WOW just because it has a lot of players,i don't need to show off to anyone,i just want enough players to interact with.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Wizardry

LOL,are you for real?This game did not and will not ever need polish.I played this game from day 1 and it has ALWAYS been a better visual game than anything i have ever played.I might add that i never had any problems others were ,the odd invisible zone load chunks,that's expected with a much higher poly game than the garbage people are used to.

Sorry, graphics don't equate "polish". For someone who "pays attention to the game industry", you're not showing that knowledge here. Vanguard never needed polish? You're either seeing the past through rose colored glasses, are simply trolling for fun, or are an extreme fanboi. I won't say which since I really don't know.

And I haven't played Vanguard since after release. My comment in my original post was not a knock against the game, but simply a logical statement. Now, if the rest of the game now equals or exceeds the quality of the trial isle, that's fine. If it doesn't, people will complain. That was my only point.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

Sorry, graphics don't equate "polish". For someone who "pays attention to the game industry", you're not showing that knowledge here. Vanguard never needed polish? You're either seeing the past through rose colored glasses, are simply trolling for fun, or are an extreme fanboi. I won't say which since I really don't know.

And I haven't played Vanguard since after release. My comment in my original post was not a knock against the game, but simply a logical statement. Now, if the rest of the game now equals or exceeds the quality of the trial isle, that's fine. If it doesn't, people will complain. That was my only point.

VG looks amazing from long time ago, but now with GU6 they have imroved it even more. As example Afrit (45+ lvl outpost) is changed abit and now looks even better. The only problem there was the performance that currently is greatly improved also. I dont know how much from the world they have improved but there are graphics updates all over the world.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

The rest of game HAS changed dramatically since you last played during release. Trial island is a subset of the rest of the game; not a special version of it.

I would suggest that you try out the FREE trial.  If you like it you can pick up a a copy for $10 on ebay. Your original statement did sound kind of "trollish" to me.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

As far as easy goes,i didn't notice anything different than ALL games,where it is ALWAYS easy to play the early levels.Actually if anything they were at times more challenging than a lot of games.

There may be a few ideas in VANGUARD that people may not or do like,but i guarantee a ton more effort and polish was put into this game than say WOW a 5 year old game,that has done NOTHING  to polish it up.You got Blizzard raping players for millions and putting nothing back into the game,and here you got a game that was designed by a small DEV[Sigil]and yet put more effort into the game.I realize Vanguard was a newer project ,but hey RUNESCAPE a F2P game put out the effort to upgrade there graphics why can't Blizzard?This is why i don't support crap like WOW,when i do support developers it will be the ones that have actually put out the effort.

It's now a SOE game,but it's still not there fault,players out there are trying to use console type PC's for gaming.You can play console graphics in any BLizzard game or enjoy a much higher quality game in VAnguard.IDK but i'd much rather pay for quality over hype or pay for something ,just because it can run on a 10 year old PC lol.

I pay attention to the gaming industry quite closely and there still is not one game out there in the MMORPG genre that can equal,Vanguards quality,well FFXI can but is like WOW for ancient graphics.It really says a lot when the only other visual and quality game just so happens to also be an SOE product...EQ2.I don't play anything right now,so no i'm not a fanbois, i just have to speak out ,when i hear rubbish about quality of games.I have never playe LOTR i hear that game has quality,but i have seen a lot fo there HD videos and it's not in the same class visually as Vanguard,even there newest installment,that mines video shows poor texture use and very bland looks.

Vanguard is a very good game with a few flaws and an empty world,the latter they have no control over.It is too bad or i would be playing Vanguard myself,i still wouldn't play a game like WOW just because it has a lot of players,i don't need to show off to anyone,i just want enough players to interact with.

I have never been able to understand how people can say these things about Vanguard. I bought Vanguard when it first came out and it was absolutely dreadful. Sorry but it looked like crap and my PC ran all the other mmos fine. I remember the landscape looking quite nice in some areas but all the character models were the ugliest things I had seen for a long time. The game just seemed to have all the standard boring content that you get in any mmo except that it was more dull and lifeless to play.

I came back to have another look about 4 or 5 months ago and it still looked as bad as it ever had done except that it ran a bit smoother. I really couldnt see all of these amazing improvements that so many people kept ranting about. I uninstalled it again soon afterwards.

Now I hear that the character models are being redone and with this new trial island I can have a peek at the game again and see if anything is new. If I had to pay for it then I certainly wouldnt give it a second thought but if I can try it for free then it will be worth a third look. I agree with what WisebutCruel said.......Vanguard does indeed need a LOT of polish.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by morpin

The rest of game HAS changed dramatically since you last played during release. Trial island is a subset of the rest of the game; not a special version of it.

I would suggest that you try out the FREE trial.  If you like it you can pick up a a copy for $10 on ebay. Your original statement did sound kind of "trollish" to me.

His statement wasnt trollish at all. He was just making an honest observation rather than worshipping at the Vanguard altar thats all.

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Apparently I discovered this method haha :)

I strongly recommend everyone to try out VG again. Its an amazing MMO, I seriously wish it hadnt been pushed out the door early and had a larger development team etc. The world is stunning, only good things have been happening over the past few months from it.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I think that Trial Island is pretty normal compared to starting areas.  It is probably the best and has the best diplomacy for sure.  But all the areas are comparable to some degree.  The biggest thing that Trial Island probably has is more initial people.  Course who knows what kinda people since some could be playing for free and just be there to be disruptive but who knows.

I would give ToD an A compared to other starting areas, but I enjoy most all the areas and think they are all pretty good. 

VG has gotten constant little revamps that go unmentioned.  Seems to me that after not playing for a year I'm constantly running into things that work a bit differently or look different.  Generally in a good way.  You can't compare the game to what it was at launch.  I was playing a couple days ago right after the launch killing infinium golums or whatever they were and they had changed.  They used to be rock monsters but now they are infinium rock monsters they look like they are made from infinium ore and not just plain rocks.  Thats a good example of one of the steath changes.

---
    Ethion

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

They fixed over 1,000 bugs with this update.  Obviously, they did more than just create a trial island and mess with the graphics on the characters.   However, you'll have to judge for yourself whether or not that is enough to make this MMO stand out.

Personally, I'm enjoying the game.  I still find small things that annoy me, and my biggest gripe is the small dev team and very limited resources, but the game itself is fine.  There's definitely plenty to do in this game.

• Balthaazar1Balthaazar1 Member Posts: 531

Why does it say 14 days free trial? Is there a different station launcher vanguard trial Im supposed to be seeing?

------------------------------

'Cry Havoc, and Let Loose the Dogs of WARRRRR!!!'

• SaggraSaggra Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by neonwire

I have never been able to understand how people can say these things about Vanguard. I bought Vanguard when it first came out and it was absolutely dreadful. Sorry but it looked like crap and my PC ran all the other mmos fine. I remember the landscape looking quite nice in some areas but all the character models were the ugliest things I had seen for a long time. The game just seemed to have all the standard boring content that you get in any mmo except that it was more dull and lifeless to play.
    I came back to have another look about 4 or 5 months ago and it still looked as bad as it ever had done except that it ran a bit smoother. I really couldnt see all of these amazing improvements that so many people kept ranting about. I uninstalled it again soon afterwards.
    Now I hear that the character models are being redone and with this new trial island I can have a peek at the game again and see if anything is new. If I had to pay for it then I certainly wouldnt give it a second thought but if I can try it for free then it will be worth a third look. I agree with what WisebutCruel said.......Vanguard does indeed need a LOT of polish.

Well all help you try and understand than , ok this is a tough one but am sure you will understand . Not everyone has the same likes and dislikes as you thats why . I know this is hard to believe but some people can play games for what they are and have fun. Some of us dont need every little thing to be perfect ,its a game and if it dosent visually stimulate you enough to use a little bit of your own imagination than i feel sorry for you life must be real fun

I suggest that you start reading some books to help you learn to use your own imagination start with Morther gooses nursey rhymes and work your way up to the classic's  Trust me games are alot more fun if you have the ability to use your own imagination.

• ShadowFox9RShadowFox9R Member Posts: 7

Where can I download the client and try out this trial island out. Looking for a new mmo and am intrested in this one.

• scribe331scribe331 Member Posts: 71

Just my 2 cents about what Vanguard is today...

First a little about myself I will keep it short as to not bore you all to death.  I Have played mmos for the better part of 9 years now starting with AO when it was THE game to play back in 2000.  Moving onward to WoW which definitely ate the biggest chunk of my playing time 140ish days played on my main alone with countless games in between and afterwards.  WoW did funny things to me, never have I been so in love with or hated a game so much.  Eventually the gear grind got to me in addition to the imbalanced arena and I left the game.  To fill that void I was hard pressed to find a game that could surpass its crack-like fervour.  To make a long story short Vanguard has done just that for better or worse (for my figure and sex life mostly).  If anything the game is so massive and addictive that it is almost intimidating. Its scope and size alone surpass anything I have ever seen.  

Like many I stayed away from Vanguard at release because of the horrible things I heard about it.  Comments such as "the world is massive and barrren, the game is full of bugs making it unplayable, the game was realeased too soon without any palpable content" were all key phrases which would keep any would be gamer away from it.  Hell I wouldnt even let my worst enemy "tap its a$$" with a ten foot pole (the negative hype was amazingly negative I am sure you all can remember).   After trying my hand at EQ2, EvE, LotRO, AoC (and some others I am too tired to mention because I just got off of work and cant remember at the moment) I just couldnt fill my WoW void.  Eventually after hearing the progress of the Vanguard world over the last year via this website and others I decided to give it a shot about 2 months ago. I was, however, very hesitant not really expecting anything too positive from the experience and in fact I honestly have to say it was THE last game on my list.

What I discovered was quite honestly just plain wonderful.  The world is flushed out very nicely and there are a baaaajilllllion things you can do in it.  As far as bugs I have found very few so far none of which are game breaking by any means.  Thus far it has been an extremely pleasant experience.  If I could describe it I would simply say it is EQ2 on steroids.  This game graphically is very nice to look at.  If you have a solid rig, and to be honest you do the game a disservice buy not using one, you will be stunned by its beauty.  I have never played a game where one of the graphic options was to turn the distance meter to 50000 meters.  That is a thing of beauty you can see MILES in the game on a clear day.  It is a non instanced world that you can easily get lost in.  Try getting lost in 99% of the games out today, it just doesnt happen.  Graphics aside the gameplay is pretty cool also.   Tons of races and tons of classes to choose from.  Tons of items and tons of quests.  This game is hardcore, not for the faint of heart by any means.  At times the game is just intimidating in its scope.  I have more than once found myself not playing for the simple reason that its just too much to eat in one sitting.

positives and negatives (my objective opinions (key word being MY) of course so take them for what they are worth)

positives - PvP as an option (1pvp server and 3 pve servers currently), lots and lots and lots of quests, well thought out classes, races,  beautiful and lush environments that your toon interacts fluidly with, helpful community, player housing, tons of items, challenging pve solo or group, as stated above and further imo the most beautiful gaming environment of any mmo I have ever played (if you see it you can go there type of world), the latest update that came out last week has really shown an increase in character models both player and npc (not quite AoC but pretty nice to look at), its as sandboxy or moreso then any other mmorpg out there with the exception of EvE.

negatives - atm some pvp imbalances, dont feel like you have total control over your character at times as far as movement ( minor fluidity issues), addictive yet almost intimidatingly large environment in which to interact in, current lack of population, some of the quests (ie to get your shadowhound mount can take upwards of 50+ hours to complete just 1 questline), certain areas although very small as a whole are not very well thought out mostly pertaining to a couple city blueprints.

As far as tradeskills it is similar to EQ2 yet not as tedious, 

I dont know let me know if you have any questions I am trying to be as objective as possible.  As a PvP minded person that likes to PvE as well, enjoys exploration and interaction and stopped loving WoW post BC I have found this to be My favorite place to "virtually hang out".  I think that if you can get over the bad publicity of its very rocky beginnings you will most certainly enjoy the game it has evolved into. 

pardon the run ons, bad spelling and my rape of the ( ( ) )

• RaavRaav Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by ShadowFox9R

Where can I download the client and try out this trial island out. Looking for a new mmo and am intrested in this one.

In the opening post, you download the station launch.  Start  the station launch and click on Vanguard.  It will then scan your harddrive and download the Trial Version.  It will say Trial above SCANNING.

Let me know if this works or doesn't.  Enjoy.

Originally posted by Balthaazar1

Why does it say 14 days free trial? Is there a different station launcher vanguard trial Im supposed to be seeing?

Prior to this patch there was only the buddy key to try VG for free.  I do not know if the Isle of Dawn (Free Trial) is only for 14 days.  But hey, its better than paying to try it. 

Is there any way to Sticky this thread.  A Free trial to Vanguard is the first thing people interested in trying out vanguard will like to find.

Thanks

Updated OP to include the now official SOE Trial Launch page.  Enjoy.

http://vanguard.station.sony.com/isleofdawn/

• teabagteabag Member Posts: 118

That pitch black npc still there?.

I know of no pitch black NPC....October promises to add more overland raid content.  There are hopes it will also include Pantheon of the Ancients which is being redone to include challenging group content unlocking raid content.

October 23 Halloween Patch introduces 4 new overland Raid mobs.  A temporary halloween quests series opens up.  And a lot more than we normally expect for an ordinary patch.

http://vgplayers.station.sony.com/gameUpdatesDetails.vm?id=064&mode=PatchNotes

Festival of the Grim Harvest has initiated...

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

I'am playing the trial right now and I only have a few days left, I like the game so far seems they added some new stuff to the classes and fixed a few issues and bugs that it had at launch...  I have my old account that I plan to reinstate but im just curious can I just update this trial account to a full account without having to buy the whole game like in the WoW trial ?   or can I just start a recuring billing cycle without buying the game?  reason I ask is my friend wants to play the game on my trial account can he upgrade the full game on 13 months a month?

Good news, just select a monthly plan.  No need to purchase the game.

Enjoy.