Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An "easy game" where even "female gamers" can get into it.

SarielleSarielle Member Posts: 91

...Really?

They can keep their colourful, cheery game. Are they seriously marketing it this way? I wasn't particularly interested in it in the first place -- the graphics are a turn OFF, personally. Now, though, even if I HAD been interested I wouldn't be playing.

Do the game's PR people honestly think that sort of promo would genuinely appeal to female gamers?

I'm honestly not as pissed as I sound, probably. More...surprised. Maybe it's just a culture gap...but anyone else annoyed by this?

Comments

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Well "casual gaming" is now a byword in MMOs. No longer are MMOs the domain of hardcore players or exclusively the gaming hobbies of nerds or social outcasts. Of course it's all just marketing, I don't see this game being any more appealing to the female demographics than any other cute anime style mmos.

• cbulmercbulmer Member Posts: 9

There are a ton of female characters running around. No abusive language in game. They just need GM's on 24 hours day to run off the gold sellers in Alpen and life would be grand.

• ozzyxozzyx Member Posts: 9

w00t for woman... lol

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Uhm yeah.  The title of this thread is INSULTING to me.  (I realize that came from the game, not the OP.)

I'm a "female gamer," 45 years old even, and the LAST damn thing I want from a game has just been perfectly outlined here.  I'm not a 6 year old girl that craves bright colors, lots of pink, fluffy stupidity and "EASE" in my games.  I want a challenge.  I want a game world that I can sink my teeth in to, so to speak, that resounds with energy and vitality and is a source of intrigue and fascination.  I want something to "work" at, to "strive for," to take "pride" in, in my virtual mini-"life." 

I can't even think of any more to say, because I'm so ANNOYED at this whole "even FEMALE gamers" can get into it CRAP.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ozzyxozzyx Member Posts: 9

u want a diff game then ^-^

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by girlgeek
    Uhm yeah.  The title of this thread is INSULTING to me.  (I realize that came from the game, not the OP.)
    I'm a "female gamer," 45 years old even, and the LAST damn think I want from a game has just been perfectly outlined here.  I'm not a 6 year old girl that craves bright colors, lots of pink, fluffy stupidity and "EASE" in my games.  I want a challenge.  I want a game world that I can sink my teeth in to, so to speak, that resounds with energy and vitality and is a source of intrigue and fascination.  I want something to "work" at, to "strive for," to take "pride" in, in my virtual mini-"life." 
    I can't even think of any more to say, because I'm so ANNOYED at this whole "even FEMALE gamers" can get into it CRAP.

I don't think it was aimed at people like you, who are already settled into MMOs and know what it takes. I think it's more aimed at the ditzy girlfriends of MMOers and their ditzy friends, who wouldn't last 5 mins in some of today's games.

I had a friend who used to play MMOs with me, and he started dating this "High School Musical" type girl. She was okay, but her constant cheeriness and "teehee, giggle giggle" attitude was irritating. She played WoW with us for over 2 years. Last I checked she was still around level 40 and begging for his help every chance she got. That's the kind of person they are aiming for - someone who doesn't care about the game or the challenge, but doesn't want to feel "left out." To be honest though, I doubt it does a very good job at that anyways.

Then again, I don't play the game and I've never heard of it until now, so what do I know?

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

"yes even women, with their smaller brains, will be able to handle this mmo's easy gameplay"

at least thats what it sounds like they are saying.

it sounds like something borat would say...

really, what where they thinking when they decided to advertise to women by insulting them?

yeah, i guess they dont have very many lawsuit happy feminists in asia.

• popingaypopingay Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Sarielle

...Really?
    They can keep their colourful, cheery game. Are they seriously marketing it this way? I wasn't particularly interested in it in the first place -- the graphics are a turn OFF, personally. Now, though, even if I HAD been interested I wouldn't be playing.
    Do the game's PR people honestly think that sort of promo would genuinely appeal to female gamers?
    I'm honestly not as pissed as I sound, probably. More...surprised. Maybe it's just a culture gap...but anyone else annoyed by this?

I have played with plenty of female gamers and I can honestly say, none of them would be impressed with this either.

• Shiva_ShadowShiva_Shadow Member Posts: 216

I am also a girl and I do not find anything insulting about this being a 'girl game' as a matter of fact I would have to agree, I played Asda for 3 months and had half a dozen chars in that time and I happen to agree completely with it being a girl game. And unlike some I think it is a good thing.

Asda stories' graphics are not good most of the boards are flat and lifeless and the dungeons lack anything like creativity, but what kept me playing was the helpful friendly atmosphere. While some might see that as something that is bad, I have to disagree.  The lack of civlity has often as not driven me out of other games, <eyes Flyff>.

As for Asda being a 'casual gaming', clearly those persons never played that deep into the game.  The first 20 lvls are easy, the next 10 are a grind, above 40 you have to be DEDICATED to lvling, because there are no quests, no easy exp events, and you have good chance of dying in anything you can do to lvl.

• lilbooshylilbooshy Member Posts: 6

Im a girl gamer and im more offended by the "even" part.  like we're hard to reach or something.  and for anyone who hasnt tried the game, the ad art for it is nothing like the actual game.  not a complaint, just an fyi

glue: its whats for dinner

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

>Win<

• HalpotHalpot Member CommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by lilbooshy

Im a girl gamer and im more offended by the "even" part.  like we're hard to reach or something.  and for anyone who hasnt tried the game, the ad art for it is nothing like the actual game.  not a complaint, just an fyi

Keep this in mind please, and observe the RoC.

well i dont see the point of there being "girl games" because most of the players on them have no real interest in actual gameplay.  At least not that i've met

• IamthespankyIamthespanky Member Posts: 3

buddy im a bout to put my boot up yours! thats insulting and i probably gamer harder than you! your probably some punk who struggles in wow as easy as it is ... so dont go thinking just because we are females we are goddamn retarded in the gaming world.

|| Grab a napkin, homey...you just got served||
    Originally posted by Iamthespanky

buddy im a bout to put my boot up yours! thats insulting and i probably gamer harder than you! your probably some punk who struggles in wow as easy as it is ... so dont go thinking just because we are females we are goddamn retarded in the gaming world.

if youre yelling at me i mean i dont see why they make frilly games because real girl gamers (and i am one) play real games.  Just because a game is "made for girls" doesnt mean girls will like it.  In fact i think the existance of those powdery girl games is insulting to our intelligence so how about you not fight people on your side

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Um, this may be a Euro thing, but there's a supermarket chain in the UK called Asda (I think it's owned by Walmart now)...and as a woman I really wouldn't be "into" playing a game that takes it's name from a supermarket ; )

Quite apart from the stoopid PR claptrap quoted in the OP, which would make me doubly dubious of the title.

Very few of us female gamers are into sparkly nonsense ez-mode games. Or at least, very few of us that hang out here at mmorpg.com. Looking at my female friends there's a bunch of hardcore gaming girls, and then a bunch of others who either don't play games at all, or just play stuff on Facebook. At a guess, I'd imagine Asda Story is aimed at the Facebook "gamers".

GL with that, since they don't tend to migrate away from FB when looking for something new to do, and I don't think their marketing spiel will actually attract any women to play their game. I doubt somehow that they care... just another case of marketing foot-in-mouth syndrome. 

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Wow, thats all I can say about that.

First thing, male and female do not equate skill.

Granted female aren't known for being gamers in general, but that doesn't mean they aren't good at it.

I've met quite a few female gamers that can kick my butt easy.  That line just sounds insulting (i'm not female by the way).  Saying female gamers are only skilled enough to play easy games.  Maybe i'm taking it wrong, but that doesn't change the fact thats the first impression i got, and to me thats not a good one.  doesn't matter anyway, didn't like the game when i played it, got about 30 mins in and logged out, never looked back.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154

This guy must be one of those 40 year olds living in moms basement making his money being a savvy ebay trader thats never seen a real girl in any less clothing than a bathing suit.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Sarielle

...Really?

um, I just went to the site but couldn't find it. Where does it say this?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Two year old thread and still going.  Thats some damn good advertising.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Wow, yeah, just noticed the date on the first post - and it looks like I necro'ed it, but I followed a front-page link from "recent forum posts" and didn't think to check dates....

Yikes.

I'll be more careful from here on in....