Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horrible Lag in Warhammer Online and looking for some suggestions

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Hello all,

I know my computer is fairly out of date but I figured it would perform better than it did in Warhammer. I could not move a step without lag running the game at the best performance setting. I use to play WoW without any lag on an older video card, I realize it is a lot easier on a system than Warhammer but I didn't feel it would be that great of a difference. I am able to play LOTRO without hardly any lag as well, haven't tried with the video card upgrade. To prepare for Warhammer without building a completely new machine I upgraded the video card from a 7800GTX to a 9800GTX+.

I am not looking to rebuild the complete machine. I was trying to get a little more life out of the PC. I am thinking maybe it is bottle necking at the CPU possibly. I did notice a lot of hard drive activity during play but I really don't feel like upgrading from WinXP 32 bit to add more RAM. I am thinking the 2GBs of RAM will be okay. I have defragmented the hard drive and the issue persists. 

I did not see the latency meter in game, to verify my connection speed is okay. I have DSL lite, usaully is sufficent for most games.  This might possibly be part of the issue if it takes more bandwidth then LOTRO or WoW.

ISP service speed: 768 Kbps/128 Kbps

My PC specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+

Video Card:  Asus 9800 GTX+ 512MB

Motherboard: Asus A8N-E

RAM: 2GB DDR400

I appreciate any ideas to what I should upgrade or do to improve performance.

Comments

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Actually I am thinking that the latency probably is not the issue. If I managed to lag over to a quest giver, once I clicked on and accepted a quest it was almost instaneous.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Well the min. processor requirment is a 2.5 GHz P4 (single core) processor or equivalent, im not quite sure what the AMD equivalent is. I havent kept up with AMD since I stoped using their processors a few years back.

Ram looks fine, and graphics card is fine, so Im not to sure why you would be getting lag on lowest setting.  Did you see what your frame rate was?

• vala2008vala2008 Member Posts: 229

I would look at your power supply, the rig looks a fairly moderate range rig then you stuck a super graphics card in so make sure you have the power supply for that...i would say you need at least 450+ if you dont have the power the graphics card might not be working at its full potential...also think about 2gb more RAM as i think that mobo you have can take up to 4.

Other things that help better fps in games is to have a plain old blue screen saver instead of a fancy high def picture (you can have a gaming log in and a normal login with admin use). Look to see if other programs are running but also remember this is still in beta so give the company end time to iron out tech issues.

Thank you for the reply, I could not find where I could monitor framerate. Maybe you have suggestions for that.

• catmaykatecatmaykate Member Posts: 45

Your CPU is over 5 years old and its prob bottle necking your GFX card i'd say upgrade the CPU to a newer AMD chip if your motherboard alows it, ram, OS and GFX are fine

Originally posted by vala2008

I would look at your power supply, the rig looks a fairly moderate range rig then you stuck a super graphics card in so make sure you have the power supply for that...i would say you need at least 450+ if you dont have the power the graphics card might not be working at its full potential...also think about 2gb more RAM as i think that mobo you have can take up to 4.
    Other things that help better fps in games is to have a plain old blue screen saver instead of a fancy high def picture (you can have a gaming log in and a normal login with admin use). Look to see if other programs are running but also remember this is still in beta so give the company end time to iron out tech issues.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have a 400 power supply. I was worried about that as well but the little led on back of the card is showing green as it is suppose to at full power. That could still be the issue though possibly. I would think I would see some random PC errors if not getting the correct voltage which I am not.

Do you know of any programs that are made to monitor where issues are occuring? I do not know if benchmark programs would. If so I may need to get Mark3D or something similar.

Thanks so much for the advice so far.

Originally posted by catmaykate

Your CPU is over 5 years old and its prob bottle necking your GFX card i'd say upgrade the CPU to a newer AMD chip if your motherboard alows it, ram, OS and GFX are fine

This is what I have been leaning towards. I can upgrade to a dual core which may help. Thanks.

• catmaykatecatmaykate Member Posts: 45

If it was your PSU your PC would just shutdown and or crash everytime you run a 3D app

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

An AMD 3500+ is equivalent to a 3.5 ghz Pentium IV.  I actually have no idea where you bottleneck is.  There are a few possibilites although they don't seem as likely.  1st is your DSL connection, however if EA wants to keep costs on there servers minimal it should really require anything above a 56k.  2nd is your memory.  The AMD 3500+ was designed to utilize DDR2.  However, that also shouldn't be a problem.  3rd is something is borked with the client.  This is actually the most likely case for a beta client.

Thanks guys. I think the first thing I will try is to uninstall the client and reinstall.

I thought this may help. My processor is at a constant 100% while in game would this be normal?

• Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704
    Originally posted by qombi

Actually I am thinking that the latency probably is not the issue. If I managed to lag over to a quest giver, once I clicked on and accepted a quest it was almost instaneous.

It's not your connection. Most if not all MMORPG's use at most 300KBs down connections. I would think less for alot of them. Your DSL lite is 700KBs down I suspect so your fine. And like you said quests are instantanious so your good there.

Your PC specs are beyond good enough to run this game max without significant loss in FPS in large battles. The CPU even though it is older is still efficient enough. The only thing I can think of as to why your lagging could be a power issue or driver. One user above stated that if it was PSU issue you would crash on 3d games, this is not always true. When your right on the edge of the power requirement you will not apply enough power to the video card to process textures properly. Often times you get small errors within and they get emediately discarded and debugged with the software (drivers and directx).

Make sure your PSU has at least 30 amps on the 12v rail if it is a single 12v rail PSU design, if multiple 18 to 20 is fine. You really should be using a minimum 500 watt PSU for that card.

Change your driver out, do a clean install for the next driver. Go to control panel and select add remove and go to nvidia and click remove only the following display driver. But you probably know this, if not it is always a good idea to remove the old driver properly before installing any new drivers. Also a small tip is download the new driver to the desktop so you can easily click it since the display will be at it's smallest size.

Google a program that removes display drivers out entirely after uninstall, this goes for the registry files associated with them. Try and use ccleaner, use that registry cleaner tool after you restarted from the display driver uninstall. That works good for me.

One last thing I can think of is do not overclock your video card, if it is. Especially with lack of power. Also make sure in your Bios you have the NV ATI speedup set to disabled and fast write. This should be off on the driver as well. If you have Turn off AA AF and see if that helps any. There are several things you need to do to figure out which is the problem. In the bios also make sure bios cacheable is set to disabled.

Let us know how it goes.

Who let you in the VIP section?

• Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704

I thought this may help. My processor is at a constant 100% while in game would this be normal?

No. Do ctrl alt delete and take a screen shot of your Processes list thats open in the task manager. I am begining to think you got a program running in the background thats doing it or a potential virus.

Who let you in the VIP section?

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Isn't the 9800gtx a 256bit card ?  Your processor is only 64 bit. You will need to upgrade your processor to a dual core atleast. Your card is more powerful than your processor can handle. Also upgrading your power supply to atleast 500w would help though I would reccomend a 600w if you can do that.

• slippyCslippyC Member Posts: 396

Seems like rogue process to me. 

Your processor and all other things check out as being sufficient.  The power supply is a little on the weak side, but as others have said it would just completely crash. 

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

ask others around you if they have the same lag bare in mind you have over 1 million beta testers diving on WAR today all crammed into the starter area's

before you go spending when you may not have to might be worth checking with others or head of to a low population area and give things a try.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Use the Feeback Tool in the game please

let them know your basic specs and that the game is running like crap

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • mrconfus3dmrconfus3d Member Posts: 3

Hi everyone, i have just gotten warhammer online about a week ago, getting the same problem as the thread starter.  This is my rig from Dxdiag.txt in short ( cut out unnecessary details).

------------------

System Information

------------------

-Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)

-System Manufacturer: ECS

-System Model: P4M900T-M

-BIOS: Default System BIOS

-Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)

-Memory: 2046MB RAM

-DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

-DX Setup Parameters: Not found

-DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

-Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

-Manufacturer: NVIDIA

-Chip type: GeForce 8600 GTS

-DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

-Display Memory: 256.0 MB

-Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

-Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

-Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200

-Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

-Driver Version: 6.14.0011.7824 (English)

-DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

-Driver Attributes: Final Retail

I tried working with warhammer customer support but i felt like it was getting anywhere.

I have a 650 watt PSU

The Nvidia 8600 GTS has been overclocked for about 50 clocks higher then the factory settings.(Core clock linked with shader clock)

The 2 GB's of RAM are both from the crucial company

I can run Fallout 3, Need for Speed: Undercover, Left 4 Dead, and Counter Strike: Source much better then warhammer with max settings (if not max then the one next to it).

I have defragmented/ done disk clean up on my HDD and I am still getting 5-20 fps at warhammer. only once in awhile with Lowest settings on warhammer i get 30 fps and thats only for awhile.

Any help will be appreciated!! Thanks in advance as well

-Mrconfus3d

• RuakhRuakh Member Posts: 38

Defragging, emptying temp files, spyware, using ad-aware 2008 and other programs all can help a little, and I did all these things that tech support suggested and more, and always had lag from the get-go, especially when more than 30 people in pvp, whether RVR or SC. I was also having crashing problems.

All I can say it, when I uninstalled the game and re-patched it the crashing stopped and the lag was better from this also, and all of the above. So try all of these suggestions to try to gain against lag. The problem is, just when the game was starting to be less laggy, all of the sudden since the last patch it is all laggy once again.

They say they are working on it, but I really think it is server issues and patch coding and other things. It seems like you can go to http://www.curse.com also. Downloasd the Infthrottle and the Buffthrottle addons and these also help with lag. Some people are completely lag free with the addition of these 2 addons. Sorry to say, not the case for me.

I did much complaining, but like I said, I did all that tech support suggested and these other things and still have lag problems, even though I have an up to date and very adequate gaming system and video card and memory also. If it weren't for Mythic actually referring to making the game more user friendly, especially for lower end machines, I probably would just go somewhere else.

If I can run a game like Mass Effect and other such games, you would think a game set up for huge, massive Pvp battles and already made us pay the price of sub-par graphics would do what they have to do to make lag the least of our issues that we have to complain about. Oh well, like I said, I hope they continue to deal with making the server better concerning this and other issues, for there has been improvement. That is at least note worthy and gives one hope.

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

It's got to be your connection. Sorry that isn't much help, but I'm pretty sure that's your problem. You're probably paying a low price, and your ISP is limiting your usage.

Your right, my 5meg cable connection isnt strong enough. 500 kb/s downloads, ive seen 650 once. With a gaming router...=p

Oh and buffthrottle dosnt do much, and i reinstalled with no change.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

WAR is just bad, they CTD, It lags out, crashes etc. I never had so many connection issues with a game till i met WAR.

Its not you, its WAR....

I sucked up my 50 bucks i spent on that trash

• crapgamecrapgame Member Posts: 10

run virus/malware scans, defragment. check task manager to see if a process is eating up resources.

I have no malware, i have done defragment multiple times, warhammer only eats 800 mb of my 2 GB of ram. The second program thats eating my RAM up the most is probably about 50 MB's.

• kruzzkidkruzzkid Member Posts: 5

i have same problem, recently comeback after 4 months not active, and was playing in ironclaw, oceanic server-- and it was better than now, i recently experiencing some hiccup latency lag, and i try trace the internet by using cmd command for warhammer ip address(-netstat) and using uo tracert..the tracert is same as used to play 4monts ago, and using bitmeter2 for bandwith meter...and recently know, warhammer send data like tabula rasa did(cmiiw), its send data perpacket.. and its causing some hiccup lag for some isp (singnet/starhub from oceanic), and for the record i used to play wow and lotro just fine no hiccup latency and still playing lotro now...