Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you like Warhammer's combat?

Just thought I'd bring this up, since it's something that I've noticed. WAR has slower paced combat according to their very own vids on their website. For anyone wondering what it will be like that hasn't played DAoC, I would suggest playing the DAoC trial to get an idea of WARs combat.

*Note* - I haven't actually played WAR, just going off of what I've seen in their vids.

I personally prefer faster paced combat but I can live with slower paced if the game is actually good.

Comments

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

it depends on your opinion.  My opinion is combat is far to fast which limits tactical and thoughtful choices.

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

I perfer combat that is just right. WHY IS THERE NOT AN OPTION FOR JUST RIGHT!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• EmotionsEmotions Member UncommonPosts: 333

Well to be honest, I wouldn't think about it right now;) The game is still in beta so it could possible be that they are still working on stuff. And if beta testers find it to slow and they pbb would change it.

Originally posted by Capn23

I perfer combat that is just right. WHY IS THERE NOT AN OPTION FOR JUST RIGHT!

haha :) awesome

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Originally posted by Zippy

it depends on your opinion.  My opinion is combat is far to fast which limits tactical and thoughtful choices.

Having time to ponder things I don't think is a reality of combat. I know it's a game, but I think faster combat is good to promote quick thinking, plus, it's more exciting.

Originally posted by Emotions

Well to be honest, I wouldn't think about it right now;) The game is still in beta so it could possible be that they are still working on stuff. And if beta testers find it to slow and they pbb would change it.

I've seen some more recent videos on youtube in high quality...the combat is looking good. Nice pace, but not super fast.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

With slightly more than a month til release, I don't think they'll be changing much of a core mechanic.

Originally posted by jusomdude

With slightly more than a month til release, I don't think they'll be changing much of a core mechanic.

hmmm who knows :p

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

It depends on what fast paced means.

If it means you die in 2 seconds then no.

If it means you need to make lots of quick movements then yes.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Having time to ponder things I don't think is a reality of combat. I know it's a game, but I think faster combat is good to promote quick thinking, plus, it's more exciting.

My interpretation of fast combat is the mob dies to fast.  Not that you have to make fast or slow decisions.  What I am strongly against are short refreshes, short fights, mobs being underpowered.  My desire or hope is that abiilities are tactical, there is enough time in a fight to make choices and the choices one uses is actually meaningful.

I think a better question would be "How long do you want combat to last"

• rlf0331rlf0331 Member Posts: 25

Please don't go according to any vids made before the NDA is lifted. There is a very nice difference between current beta and old vids.

• butters88butters88 Member Posts: 379

If I'm not mistaken I believe they just recently released a patch that improved combat speed, so we'll see.

• bigplanetbigplanet Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by butters88

If I'm not mistaken I believe they just recently released a patch that improved combat speed, so we'll see.

YUP, the very last patch improved combat responsiveness by a lot.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Can't say anything detailed but I like the combat system.

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

At lvl 20+ I probably will because Josh said it will be awesome!

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• felorefelore Member Posts: 222

dont think its slow at all.  But I guess it would depend on the class you pick...  Im having lots of fun so far

• icedutahicedutah Member UncommonPosts: 67

It's a fine speed of combat for me.  Seems like the speed of Guild Wars PvP in my opinion.  Which is pretty good pace. 

In old beta versions it was a bit slow.  But not anymore.  Total time to kill is perfect also.  Not too fast like WoW, but not too slow like LOTRO.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Combat in WAR is a bit faster than WoW but with a slightly longer time to kill.  I fail to see the problem.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

I never watched one vid.

I am playing it, the combat is not slow.  You just have to play it.  Try playing a light armor melee DPS in the middle of a crowd of 300. 

We aren't just talking about button pushing here.  You have to keep track of what others are doing.  Who is a good target?  are are your healers in trouble? 

And each class will play a little differently.  The vids do not give you a feel for the game.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Judging from latest vids , combat looks just about right.

Not to slow , but also no LOLCOPTERS!!!!

Thanks mythic !

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Fast slow isn't really the issue for me. Does it feel like the character is responding to *me* directly? Or does it just feel like he's reacting to my orders. Is it queuing my commands or doing them instantly?

Combat wise... I'm not sure if I like the Wow warrior type rage thing on all the characters, was my least favorite mechanic in the game, still need to see how that plays out.

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Judging from latest vids , combat looks just about right.
    Not to slow , but also no LOLCOPTERS!!!!

Thanks mythic !

Wrong, they gave them to dwarves

• andeemann10andeemann10 Member Posts: 237

"Quick thinking"? more like button mashing. And I would very much prefer to choose your attacks than hitting random buttons.

------------------------------
    "Capitalism is currently working as intended."

• MalvolentiaMalvolentia Member Posts: 253

I would prefer slower to fast considering faster would just turn into a button mashing fest. 

Slower imo would give more chances for intelligent decisions to be made.

WoW fanboi: "lolz 11.5 million customers, itz obviously da best"

McDonald's: over 1 billion burgers served