Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Citadel of Sorcery: New Screens Added

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Today, we have added these six new screenshots to our Citadel of Sorcery Gallery.

Check out all six here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Okay, let's hope people read this thread before they post:

This is BEFORE the graphics revamp.  These graphics will look nothing alike in eight months, the devs of CoS just decided to work ont he gameplay before they worked on the graphics.  The graphics revamp will be completed in eight months (give or take a few).  These are just place holder graphics for while they work on the gameplay aspects....these will not be the permanent graphics.

The screens look nice now, just wait until after the graphics revamp

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Originally posted by mike470

Personally I don't think these graphics look very good, but thank you for bringing up the fact that this is not what the game will look like in the end. I guess this game will be added to my "let's wait and see" list.

• ThalosVipavThalosVipav Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by streea

Personally I don't think these graphics look very good, but thank you for bringing up the fact that this is not what the game will look like in the end. I guess this game will be added to my "let's wait and see" list.

Thalos Vipav
    Star Wars Galaxies: R.I.P.

• Tyres100Tyres100 Member Posts: 704

Hmm those screens are old, I remember seeing them on their site awhile back. I guess they re release things as new *shrug*

As far as the graphics, I think they are horrible. The avatar is really ugly, almost plastic doll like in it's  pose. Perhaps they had Botox injections done recently?

Who let you in the VIP section?

Originally posted by Tyres100

Hmm those screens are old, I remember seeing them on their site awhile back. I guess they re release things as new *shrug*

Lol?

The developers never announced these screenshots new.  MMORPG.com just added screenshots to the gallery that weren't there before, which makes them 'new' to the gallery, even though they have been on the site for awhile.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Lol?

The developers never announced these screenshots new.  MMORPG.com just added screenshots to the gallery that weren't there before, which makes them 'new' to the gallery, even though they have been on the site for awhile.

Yup. I was checking thorugh some sites today and saw that we didn't have those screens. Seemed like a good time to add them and let everyone know.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Stradden

Lol?

Yup. I was checking thorugh some sites today and saw that we didn't have those screens. Seemed like a good time to add them and let everyone know.

Yeah new here but the idea of releasing new content for development games to this site is that you want the freshest screens or videos up here. I was questioning the reason why this company would release old screens they had on their site for a few months now to showcase here. Anyone such as myself who has seen them before would think the same thing.

Anyway your doing your part by showing the new stuff that gets sent to you, even if it isn't new it is still new to here. Thanks

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

As far as the graphics, I think they are horrible. The avatar is really ugly, almost plastic doll like in it's  pose. Perhaps they had Botox injections done recently?

As well as the graphics going though a re amp, so will the Animations as far as I know.

Sooner or Later

• HelloKirbyHelloKirby Member CommonPosts: 110

This is BEFORE the graphics revamp.  These graphics will look nothing alike in eight months, the devs of CoS just decided to work ont he gameplay before they worked on the graphics.  The graphics revamp will be completed in eight months (give or take a few).  These are just place holder graphics for while they work on the gameplay aspects....these will not be the permanent graphics.

If only funcom followed their example

Originally posted by TdogSkal

As well as the graphics going to get re done as well as the avatar animations as far as I know.

As far as the average Joe is concerned you only get one chance at a first impression. Why not wait then to release good graphics and avatars if that was the intention in the first place? Wait it wasn't because all the people who seen them already had said across many forums that they are terrible which left them to say they will be redoing them.

I just think it's stupid to think MMO players wouldn't recognize poor work when they see it.

As well as the graphics going to get re done as well as the avatar animations as far as I know.

As far as the average Joe is concerned you only get one chance at a first impression. Why not wait then to release good graphics and avatars if that was the intention in the first place? Wait it wasn't because all the people who seen them already had said across many forums that they are terrible which left them to say they will be redoing them.

I just think it's stupid to think MMO players wouldn't recognize poor work when they see it.

Ugh.......

If you decided to read a bit, you would realize that the developers announced their game here so they could get different feedback from people.  The developers actually listen to the community and discuss different ideas, unlike other big game release (AoC).  So, they decided to show the game as it is to get feedback from the community, instead of waiting 8 months

It's not poor work...if you actually read up ont he gameplay of the game you wouldn't mind the graphics.  The fact that they worked on gameplay first and decided to work on the graphics later is a good thing, this way we don't get more crappy eye candy like AoC.

Ugh.......

If you decided to read a bit, you would realize that the developers announced their game here so they could get different feedback from people.  The developers actually listen to the community and discuss different ideas, unlike other big game release (AoC).  So, they decided to show the game as it is to get feedback from the community, instead of waiting 8 months

It's not poor work...if you actually read up ont he gameplay of the game you wouldn't mind the graphics.  The fact that they worked on gameplay first and decided to work on the graphics later is a good thing, this way we don't get more crappy eye candy like AoC.

I agree I am not questioning that fact. I was saying that the average Joe who comes here and quickly looks at a game and decides based on small details such as screens and videos. That set of people are larger then the you and me who actually read all the info to a new game that we can here if we find it somewhat intelligent and interesting.

Try getting the normal user to figure that out. They rely on first impressions of an MMO by screens and videos and rarely are interested in blocks of text.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, Im not impressed. But since they will add all effects like lightning and shadows, the end result will probably be ok. Not wonderful though but if the gameplays nice I don't see any reason not to play it,

Ugh.......

I agree I am not questioning that fact. I was saying that the average Joe who comes here and quickly looks at a game and decides based on small details such as screens and videos. That set of people are larger then the you and me who actually read all the info to a new game that we can here if we find it somewhat intelligent and interesting.

Try getting the normal user to figure that out. They rely on first impressions of an MMO by screens and videos and rarely are interested in blocks of text.

The game isn't releasing in at LEAST another year.

A first impression would matter more if they were releasing soon, but the graphics are just place holders now.  Also, what kind of first impression is it if you don't even read a little about the game?  Players don't buy games just because they look good, they have to read up on the game.  First impressions on screens and videos don't matter, because those screens and videos won't be what is in the game  when it releases. 

Ugh.......

The game isn't releasing in at LEAST another year.

A first impression would matter more if they were releasing soon, but the graphics are just place holders now.  Also, what kind of first impression is it if you don't even read a little about the game?  Players don't buy games just because they look good, they have to read up on the game.  First impressions on screens and videos don't matter, because those screens and videos won't be what is in the game  when it releases. 

I am sorry I disagree with you on that. Any game that is in development that releases content to a major site such as this should know that what they show will have an impact on players ability to judge the games prior to seeing open beta or near release content. The fact is and you can disagree with me if you like, but players who come here and see new games do not read much into them. Maybe a couple things here and there and check the screens first and any video and base that entire process on liking the game or not.

If a player is heavily interested in the so called game that is shown they will read further into it and then pick up other ideas and any info that is important such as what this game has said about adding in the updated avatars and graphics later. Most people click a game here check screens and video then make the impression the first one and are hard to sway later on even if something changes within the info.

I am sorry I disagree with you on that. Any game that is in development that releases content to a major site such as this should know that what they show will have an impact on players ability to judge the games prior to seeing open beta or near release content. The fact is and you can disagree with me if you like, but players who come here and see new games do not read much into them. Maybe a couple things here and there and check the screens first and any video and base that entire process on liking the game or not.
    Any player who is actually looking into a game will read up about it.  I don't know why anyoen would just look at the screens and automatically not want to look into the game more.
    If a player is heavily interested in the so called game that is shown they will read further into it and then pick up other ideas and any info that is important such as what this game has said about adding in the updated avatars and graphics later. Most people click a game here check screens and video then make the impression the first one and are hard to sway later on even if something changes within the info.
    You don't have to be heavily interested just to look up about a game.  If a person just took two minutes to read about the game they would probably be interested.
    If the game was closer to release I might agree with you, but it still has a long way to go.  Players will look into it more once a) the graphics revamp and b) the game gets closer to release.
    I guess it's just somethign to either agree or disagree on.

Any player who is actually looking into a game will read up about it.  I don't know why anyoen would just look at the screens and automatically not want to look into the game more.
    You don't have to be heavily interested just to look up about a game.  If a person just took two minutes to read about the game they would probably be interested.
    If the game was closer to release I might agree with you, but it still has a long way to go.  Players will look into it more once a) the graphics revamp and b) the game gets closer to release.

You still don't get it. Players go strait for the screens and videos to see if a game is to their liking. They do not care to read much. The average player does this all the time here, while the smart ones like you and me read. Lets get a debate going on this matter.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Old graphics...new graphics....If I had a dollar from everytime a developer promised they were going to work on something later.....I would be a very rich man.

Assume what you see is what you get.  Maybe they will surprise us and actually improve the graphics, but the chances of that happening are slim.

On that note, the devs are on the right track, gameplay is far more important than the graphic look.

You still don't get it. Players go strait for the screens and videos to see if a game is to their liking. They do not care to read much. The average player does this all the time here, while the smart ones like you and me read. Lets get a debate going on this matter.

At such an early time in development, mabye.

But once release comes sooner, they will look at the game and see the improved graphics.  So really, what they see now and eight months from now won't be the same. 

IT just comes down to when the game is further in development, and when it is nearing release it will have the better graphics, so it really doesn't matter.

• EthecoEtheco Member UncommonPosts: 13

I can't wait to see what they will bring in these months to come, It's good they provided some screenshots to keep us all entertained :).

Lets see what these months show of CoS.

• ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218

Remember Vanguard said the same thing in closed testing years before release. Didn't happen.

It does look like an interesting game though.

Originally posted by ZDPhoenix

Remember Vanguard said the same thing in closed testing years before release. Didn't happen.

It does look like an interesting game though.

Well the dev team just hugely expanded their art team (some interns, others not).  I honestly think they're serious about adding new grapgics - they have stated several times the current graphics are only placeholders.

In the next 8 or so months we'll see.

• HelloKirbyHelloKirby Member CommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Old graphics...new graphics....If I had a dollar from everytime a developer promised they were going to work on something later.....I would be a very rich man.
    Assume what you see is what you get.  Maybe they will surprise us and actually improve the graphics, but the chances of that happening are slim.
    On that note, the devs are on the right track, gameplay is far more important than the graphic look.

Even if they  do not deliver the updated graphics, then at least we would get completed gameplay with all its features.  But It's not like they are going to release anytime soon so... 

The completed graphics probably won't be all that amazing, but hopefully they will be decent.

• RaingirlRaingirl Member Posts: 34

My complaint has nothing to do with the graphics but with the fact that their artists can't draw. I'm glad these are just teaser screens released well in advance of the game. That means they have plenty of time to hire artists capable of rendering human figures. Preferably one that knows what a female breast and an ass look like. Women get tired of playing hideously deformed avatars simply because some dweeb in a low budget art department has never had a date with a real female.

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

A few facts about these screenshots:

1) These are not new, in fact, they are the oldest shots around and we did not send them to MMORPG.

2) We had to release a few screenshots in order to get listed on MMORPG.com, it's their rule.  We wanted to get GAMEPLAY feedback during early development, this was the price we were willing to pay.

3) As we have stated, these are screenshots from the Prototype world, NOT the game.

4) The character you see in some of these shots (that we did NOT send to MMORPG) is a placeholder character and will NOT be in the game, trust me.  It was made by a game designer, not an artist.  For the first two years of work on the game there were no artists working on the game, just programmers and designers.  We are BARELY getting started on the art and have recently hired some actual artists who are starting to revamp art.

5) There is no official date on when the real art will be finished or shown.

6) We understand that some players will judge us early on based on looking at this prototype art without reading (posts like this).  However, we feel that if we make a game that is great to play, once we get to Beta and Release word will spread.  In order to make that great game play, we spent two years in the design phase, and are now releasing a lot of information on the game to get player feedback in order to make it even better. 

Jatar

Citadel of Sorcery Dev Team Member.