Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instant attacks? Spell pushback?

From what I've seen of the various WAR videos out, I didn't notice any instant attacks from the melee classes I saw playing, which has me concerned about the speed of combat and the skill required to play melee. From what I could see, melee players would just stand there using their special abilities on timers. Maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention to the videos but I couldn't help but get the feeling of boring melee combat. I wish MMO developers would have trials when the game is released and not the 30 days that you have to buy the game to get.... Not much of a trial when I'm paying $50 for it.

Also, the spell pushback looked like it was very similar to WoW, I don't know if it can be confirmed but if it's the same thing as WoW's pushback that rules out casting classes entirely for me, nothing like having a 2 sec spell turn into 5 secs or more.

Comments

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

I think it's roughly similar to WoW.

WoW's is actually getting changed with Wotlk:

* When casting a spell:

o The first and second hit will add .5 secs each to the cast time.

o All hits after the second will have no effect.

* When channeling a spell:

o The first and second hit reduces current duration by 25% of total duration each.

o All hits after the second will have no effect.

Maybe WAR has something similar?

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431
    Originally posted by jusomdude

From what I've seen of the various WAR videos out, I didn't notice any instant attacks from the melee classes I saw playing, which has me concerned about the speed of combat and the skill required to play melee. From what I could see, melee players would just stand there using their special abilities on timers. Maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention to the videos but I couldn't help but get the feeling of boring melee combat. I wish MMO developers would have trials when the game is released and not the 30 days that you have to buy the game to get.... Not much of a trial when I'm paying $50 for it.
    Also, the spell pushback looked like it was very similar to WoW, I don't know if it can be confirmed but if it's the same thing as WoW's pushback that rules out casting classes entirely for me, nothing like having a 2 sec spell turn into 5 secs or more.

Somehow I dont think itll be a huge problem with my dwarven engineer heh heh.

• Tuck2000Tuck2000 Member Posts: 361

You cannot go by beta video's as most are pretty dated NDA should be off hopefully by the end of the week.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Thanks for the replies. That's good WoW spellcasting is getting changed, since as it is, it's really painful to play a caster with limited instant casts against melee.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the NDA to come up to know these kind of details on WAR.

• PoweruserPoweruser Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by jusomdude

Thanks for the replies. That's good WoW spellcasting is getting changed, since as it is, it's really painful to play a caster with limited instant casts against melee.
    I guess I'll just have to wait for the NDA to come up to know these kind of details on WAR.

WHAT! Give WAR a hardcore casting system plix.

• I played it at comicon.  Ya don't worry the melee system has a dps and a speed it's not skill dependant.  casting is awesome pushback is very minor and im sure u can spec for anti pushback

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    Originally posted by xsarkaix

I played it at comicon.  Ya don't worry the melee system has a dps and a speed it's not skill dependant.  casting is awesome pushback is very minor and im sure u can spec for anti pushback

That's good to know.  I hated spell pushback in WoW and thought it gave casters an unfair disadvantage. 

People agrued "well u need concentration to cast spells so getting hit should slow your casting".  What?  So if I blast your rogue with a 5,000 dmg instant pyroblast he's not going to slow down at all? He's going to shrug it off like nothing happen and not even lose 0.1 sec on attack speed.  Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

edit: fixed a typo

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611

I think it all just depends on how much speed reduction you can put on melee classes.  If I am not even able to get to you then I should be able to mess up your casting.  From some of the vids ive seen melee classes are going to get their asses handed to them.

Uhh... what?

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I played it at comicon.  Ya don't worry the melee system has a dps and a speed it's not skill dependant.  casting is awesome pushback is very minor and im sure u can spec for anti pushback

Melee having a set speed is what I was actually worried about. From what I can remember of DAoC it was like that as well, and there were no instant attacks... you'd always have to essentially wait your turn to attack, even when using a special ability.

I'm guessing there are weapons with different speeds, but to me, it seems the melee pvp flows at a slower pace from vids I've seen. The melee combat in WAR looks very turn based, which I'm not a big fan of... just trying to find out to know if I will like the game or not. Gameplay just doesn't excite me that much when it's like "Ok, I attack you, then you attack me, then repeat"

Are people that played the game at publicised events allowed to give any details?

• JustBeJustBe Member Posts: 495

instant spells are usually over time spells.

----------------------------------------
    Talking about SWG much?

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Melee is just like WoW only with more abilities and more positional abilities and no spammable stuns.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by zethcarn

That's good to know.  I hated spell pushback in WoW and thought it gave casters an unfair advantage. 

People agrued "well u need concentration to cast spells so getting hit should slow your casting".  What?  So if I blast your rogue with a 5,000 dmg instant pyroblast he's not going to slow down at all? He's going to shrug it off like nothing happen and not even lose 0.1 sec on attack speed.  Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

kalagan plays a rogue off course they just shrug it off becuase thats what he would do duh.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD