Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer did graphics changes midway through beta?

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

I have read that some races look like they were created in a different graphic engine than others. If this is the case I will be staying away from the game. I like to feel like I am in a world, and this would detract from it if it feels like two games mashed together.

I was told that some look like WoW and others LOTRO, that would be an ugly mess. I also heard similar game problems with graphics mix matched throughout the world. I hope this isn't the case.

Comments

• SevensoddSevensodd Member Posts: 322
    Originally posted by qombi

I have read that some races look like they were created in a different graphic engine than others. If this is the case I will be staying away from the game. I like to feel like I am in a world, and this would detract from it if it feels like two games mashed together.

I was told that some look like WoW and others LOTRO, that would be an ugly mess. I also heard similar game problems with graphics mix matched throughout the world. I hope this isn't the case.

LOL. Because you have HEARD someones opinions on the graphics you are going to "stay away"?  Way to think for yourself.

• Alamor0Alamor0 Member UncommonPosts: 182

Edit because my post was blunt and rude when that was quite unnecessary.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Well by your logic, will you buy anything without reading reviews on it? Or do you just go shell out the money and then go "Darn, wish I didn't buy this. Only if I would have read up on what was in it or what wasn't." It is called being a wise shopper.

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839

Well by your logic, will you buy anything without reading reviews on it? Or do you just go shell out the money and then go "Darn, wish I didn't buy this. Only if I would have read up on what was in it or what wasn't." It is called being a wise shopper.

go find videos and screen shots, gain your own opinions.

The whole idea of reading up on graphics is just well ......... i dont have a word for it, YOUR SUPPOSE TO SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE then devolpe a opinion on how you thin kit looks.

People said WoW looks like crap, i liked the art style personaly. Others said doom 3 had sweet graphics when it came out, i personally hated them.

Originally posted by Alamor0

I'm sorry.  This post is a fail.  So many things utterly preposterous about it.  I have no comment.

Fails because it brings up legit concerns? If you don't feel they are legit then move along. I prefer myself to play a game that flows together smoothly. This is one of the reasons I will not touch EQ anymore. It is a mix matched pile of trash. If you don't mind playing a game that looks like a frankenstein so be it.

• onlinenow225onlinenow225 Member Posts: 381

By your logic you would buy nothing.  Because you have never go to the source of all info.  Go to Warhammeronline.com to find out all info.  You will see screenshots and more other wise stop the trolling.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

The OP said 'they heard....' and if so they would stay away. They didn't say they heard that and were boycotting the game at this point.

I tend to disagree with his/her idea that two different model types would make the game unacceptable but to the folks who are knocking him/her, read closer before you bash.

Originally posted by PureChaos

The whole idea of reading up on graphics is just well ......... i dont have a word for it, YOUR SUPPOSE TO SEE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE then devolpe a opinion on how you thin kit looks.

People said WoW looks like crap, i liked the art style personaly. Others said doom 3 had sweet graphics when it came out, i personally hated them.

I have seen screenshots and they look good to me. I have talked to a friend or two in beta that says they made changes though, so I am unsure if those new screens are up. I have no problems with WoWs graphics. I do have a problem with two different sets of graphics in one game.

• MyrdekMyrdek Member Posts: 346

• verndvernd Member Posts: 600

I wonder if some people realize games actually go through a process of building, tweaking, polishing, and then being made ready for release. It's not like a game goes from a design doc to a finished product in one step.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804

Morale of the story, whoever told you about WARs graphics was clueless.

Go watch some videos, or by god wait for the NDA to drop. You still have a month to make your decision.

STOP WHINING!

Originally posted by onlinenow225

By your logic you would buy nothing.  Because you have never go to the source of all info.  Go to Warhammeronline.com to find out all info.  You will see screenshots and more other wise stop the trolling.

How am I trolling? I am starting to think that people will say that someone is trolling if they do not like what they type in a post. This is no troll post. I come here to read others opinions of the graphics and also to see if anyone else has any insight on this.

My post was blunt, and I should probably explain myself.  Of course I read reviews, and I also want the game to feel seemless.  But, based on your post, you haven't done near enough research or watched enough videos to know for yourself.  There's A LOT of info on this game, just be sure to look for the most current things that show the better quality graphics --- IF you're someone who worries about graphics. 

Which brings me to my second point.  I get real worked up over people complaining about graphics (as can clearly be seen by my other posts).  I feel there is way too strong an emphasis on graphics and not enough on gameplay.  The problem is that most people flock to the 'nice looking' games and say things like 'oo, that game isn't pretty, I'll stay away from it' when a games graphics are "outdated."  And thus, feel like there are no good games.  Because, frankly, the nicer looking games tend to have shallower gameplay as so much of the development has been spent on the graphics. 

WAR, from what I've seen, has absolutely no problem with a uniform look and feel that makes it seem more like a world.  And, because the graphics aren't the best in business, more people will have access to the game, allowing for truly fullscale battles and more fun had by all!!!

Wow.  I think that covers it!

My post was blunt, and I should probably explain myself.  Of course I read reviews, and I also want the game to feel seemless.  But, based on your post, you haven't done near enough research or watched enough videos to know for yourself.  There's A LOT of info on this game, just be sure to look for the most current things that show the better quality graphics --- IF you're someone who worries about graphics. 

Which brings me to my second point.  I get real worked up over people complaining about graphics (as can clearly be seen by my other posts).  I feel there is way too strong an emphasis on graphics and not enough on gameplay.  The problem is that most people flock to the 'nice looking' games and say things like 'oo, that game isn't pretty, I'll stay away from it' when a games graphics are "outdated."  And thus, feel like there are no good games.  Because, frankly, the nicer looking games tend to have shallower gameplay as so much of the development has been spent on the graphics. 

WAR, from what I've seen, has absolutely no problem with a uniform look and feel that makes it seem more like a world.  And, because the graphics aren't the best in business, more people will have access to the game, allowing for truly fullscale battles and more fun had by all!!!

You got me all wrong. I would play EQ 1 to this day if it did not go past Velious. So I value gameplay a lot more than graphics .. but .. I want whatever type of graphics a game has be it beautiful to simple to be uniform. If it is not uniform like in EQ1 today it removes me from the game world while playing. It is the immersion factor I am speaking of here. I am perfectly fine with old EQ graphics. In fact if EQ 1 exist today up to Velious... that is where I would be right now!

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

This post epically fails because anyone who is in CB who answers this question breaks the NDA.

Unless someone happened to come up with comparative screenshots from beta they found with dates.

• verndvernd Member Posts: 600

Originally posted by onlinenow225

How am I trolling? I am starting to think that people will say that someone is trolling if they do not like what they type in a post. This is no troll post. I come here to read others opinions of the graphics and also to see if anyone else has any insight on this.

The early screenshots that are a year old or older do have some pretty crude graphics.  The most recent shots are much improved, in my opinion. While the art direction is still heavily stylized, it does follow the style of the table-top miniatures pretty closely in most cases. And even though the characters are stylized, the models and textures do appear to be more detailed than what you see in WoW.  That's not to say they are 'better' since art is always in the eye of the beholder, but its clear to me the artists have taken advantage of the last 4 years worth of new video cards and other technology improvements.

You got me all wrong. I would play EQ 1 to this day if it did not go past Velious. So I value gameplay a lot more than graphics .. but .. I want whatever type of graphics a game has be it beautiful to simple to be uniform. If it is not uniform like in EQ1 today it removes me from the game world while playing. It is the immersion factor I am speaking of here. I am perfectly fine with old EQ graphics. In fact if EQ 1 exist today up to Velious... that is where I would be right now!

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think I have the experience to fully relate to your situation.  The majority of the games I've played haven't had that problem.  However, I don't think a mismatched, slightly immersion-breaking look would keep me from playing a game that is fun.  Now, if the content after Velious was what the problem was, I could see the issue...

Edit for grammar.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• dakyd23dakyd23 Member Posts: 15

I usually play the beta or the trial before i buy. I don't rely totaly on others opinions becuase everyone has one hardly do they totally agree. So go shell out 10 bucks get your CB code and play it this next friday and form your own opinion.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by PureChaos

I have seen screenshots and they look good to me. I have talked to a friend or two in beta that says they made changes though, so I am unsure if those new screens are up. I have no problems with WoWs graphics. I do have a problem with two different sets of graphics in one game.

I would sugest waiting for the NDA to be lifted and more reviews/video's from beta testers are put out. If you are a smart shopper as you claim, you would know not to take the word of any one or two people, friends or not. You would do the research yourself. Be it reading reviews from sources you respect or watching video's on Youtube ect.  A smart shopper bases there opinion off what THEY find/read/see not what someone else says.

• alkennjoialkennjoi Member Posts: 101

OP: I appreciate your concern.  I found a similar graphics issue with Requiem.  Just from playing a little while i could easily tell that certain features were of a different origin and simply juxtaposed within one game.  It appears as if certain mobs, terrain, and world objects were produced in sets.  I imagine certain graphical and animation features were either out-sourced to another set of programmers or bought from an indipendant developer for game use.  The artistic style and animations were very disparate from mob to mob; even with cohabitating mobs.  The atchitecture of towns vs Cities were very obvious examples of this difference.

When ever a game does not advertise with game play videos I am always suspect.  Irreguardless of a loose artistic supervision, such an issue would not affect game play. 

Personnaly, the WAR graphics look horrible to me.  I think WoW looks better... so i dont think it whould be your main concern.  Really, now, whats the difference between one ugly tree from another?  Id be more concerned about clipping or getting stuck in the tree's geometry.

• AraikisAraikis Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by alkennjoi

I think WoW looks better

WTB Lasik pl0x

• nratnamnratnam Member UncommonPosts: 186

From what i heard the graphics were basic and upgraded as the beta progressed by hand through models etc

• trozyxxxtrozyxxx Member UncommonPosts: 249

I cant play green skins they all look like Jay Leno :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEwfdmcAJRs

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710