Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those seeking a classic EQ experience.

qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

We can only hope that SOE will provide one for us up to Velious. Then dare them to touch it again. : )

Comments

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

I dont think eq adventures has the freedom everquest does now, it seems to me the main reason they released it on ps2 was to dumb it down for the kids who wanted to play a simple mmorpg kind of like wow, keep in mind I said it seems like it, does it even have expansions? I own a ps2 and a wii but I think sony charges for you to even subscribe online with the system, the only way id play mmorpgs on a system that charges if I can get gold membership on 360 for 100 dollars for a whole year plus there are alot of extra features thats barly close enough to justify it.

Maybe I will check it out thanks.

I just read igns review on this game it does sound close to the original but im not sure, for example they said they took out the bards song speed and replaced it with only sow speed because of performance issues with the landscapes, now bard was and still is my favorite class even though I dont play eq1 anymore, exploration is part of what made them unique and having only sow speed will deffinatly ruin the exploration part for me in some areas.

Another thing is they dont have tradeskills or roleplay skills which I enjoyed frequently in the old eq. But it still might be a very unique experience for me but please tell me they fixed these issues.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

I looked at EQ Online adventures, graphics were pretty naff even for a PS2. EQ on the Mac apparently only goes up to PoP by the way.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by nomadian

I looked at EQ Online adventures, graphics were pretty naff even for a PS2. EQ on the Mac apparently only goes up to PoP by the way.

Well considering that Luclin and PoP were the downfall of EQ I don't see how EQMac would be any good. The expansions after PoP do not matter to me. I am sure the blew just as bad as Luclin and PoP but since the game was already a pile after Luclin, I don't see the difference really.

• teabagteabag Member Posts: 118

Luclin was the first downfall of EQ especially on PvP server like Rallozek.

Now there is more bugs than ever before with some lags spikes in some new zone like DSH.'tWhat a mess, nothing hardcore or that $ony do not understand hardcore.

• HonosHonos Member Posts: 93

What are we talking about? 

Past: EQ, EQ2, DAoC, SWG, WoW, LotR, VG, WAR, GW, GW2, Rift
    Present: The Elder Scrolls Online
    Future: Everquest Next

• DJDizzyDJDizzy Member Posts: 119

I... I kinda liked PoP

Your culture will adapt to serve us.
    Resistance is futile

• shukes33shukes33 Member Posts: 1,051

ye i'm an old vet and would love that old feeling back again....so what are we talking about? is there a classic server starting or something?

I was recommending that others try Everquest Online Adventures but then after reading post after mine, I remembered more about why I decided to not play it that I have forgotten about. I edited the original post to not advertise for that POS game after all, I would hate someone to spend money on it.

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

As one who started gaming with EQ-Classic, it astounds me the level of demand for a server that ends at the Velious expansion. 

In my view, today's EQ is not only the best game on the market... it is perhaps better than EQ-Classic.  I may have many disagreements with EQ's developers, zerg-guilds, and although I emphasize the importance of group-content, raiding for me is fun and I sometimes look forward to it (once a month).

You can say today's EQ is "different" from EQ-Classic, but you could also say it is "better."

(By the way, they revamped popular classic zones for high-level players to obtain excellent droppable gear, which has been a big success but with flaws:  exploitation of camps by zerg guilds, multi-boxers, hackers, and plat-farmers.)

Originally posted by declaredemer

As one who started gaming with EQ-Classic, it astounds me the level of demand for a server that ends at the Velious expansion. 

In my view, today's EQ is not only the best game on the market... it is perhaps better than EQ-Classic.  I may have many disagreements with EQ's developers, zerg-guilds, and although I emphasize the importance of group-content, raiding for me is fun and I sometimes look forward to it (once a month).

You can say today's EQ is "different" from EQ-Classic, but you could also say it is "better."
    (By the way, they revamped popular classic zones for high-level players to obtain excellent droppable gear, which has been a big success but with flaws:  exploitation of camps by zerg guilds, multi-boxers, hackers, and plat-farmers.)

(These statements below are just my opinion, I think people who enjoy EQ the way it is today are not wrong at all. People's opinions of things can't be wrong or right. Don't take this below personally, it is the way I feel. If someone enjoys EQ today, that is wonderful I love to hear people are having fun. )

Well that is a matter of an opinion. I don't care about just getting any content. I want the content to fit the world and not be absurd to where it removes me from the fantasy world. I think a big floating planes of knowledge with little books lined up to different zones did this for me. Furry cats living on a moon where players would fight aliens did this for me. A bazaar on the moon ruined the great player interaction of selling stuff and also the bazaar was just a stupid way of doing it.

Classes have been changed so much that they don't have the same classic feel. Now gear is absurd to the point people can solo some raid bosses. The game feels mix matched, doesn't flow well together any more. You say positive things about the revamps, but they disgust me. I want graphics to look the same throughout a game not look like some frankenstein hobbled together creation. If some single player games did this people would call them garbage. They also changed the xp rate, regen rates, etc. It just isn't EQ anymore. It is something different ... that I personally have no interest in playing. I want the beautiful fantasy world back that EQ was, it flowed together. The graphics were the same throughout before Luclin, Druid and Wizard ports still had purpose, leveling was difficult giving that satifaction of leveling to the top a sweet feeling of success. It was just a better game then to me.

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

I agree

• Leveling is too fast.

I disagree

• Planes of Power failed not because druids and wizards lost their monopolies on transportation but because of the focus on raiding, gear-tiers, and all things zergy.

I also agree that raid gear was not supposed to make heros into gods.  When people started to solo things, the community feature was removed.  Community became zerg guilds, and everyone quit for WoW.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I agree

Leveling is too fast.

I disagree

Planes of Power failed not because druids and wizards lost their monopolies on transportation but because of the focus on raiding, gear-tiers, and all things zergy.

I also agree that raid gear was not supposed to make heros into gods.  When people started to solo things, the community feature was removed.  Community became zerg guilds, and everyone quit for WoW.

I think the population was in decline before WoW, but totally agree with you. Raiding became the main focus of the game instead of leveling up a toon through grouping.

I dont know if all of it is true im just speculating friend, also everyone went way off topic please stay on topic we are discussing if everquest online adventures is worth it on the playstation 2.

• shukes33shukes33 Member Posts: 1,051

I know its slightly of topic but is there any game around now that comes close to the origonal eq up to velious? i mean harsh death pens, long levelling , grinding, camping and all of the things that made the game great? i long for those days back :( surely there is something close.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

The demand is there for a server that ends at the velious expansion, because SOE fully took control of EQ of the game after that expansion.  Once Brad was gone the game really lost touch with its roots and the passion to make a great game was replaced by a new director who was only passionate about making great profits. 

I could say the game is better, but that would be telling the truth.  There have been some nice improvements and also some real bad ones, but the thing that made EQ special is long since dead. 

• robhrobh Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by shukes33

I know its slightly of topic but is there any game around now that comes close to the origonal eq up to velious? i mean harsh death pens, long levelling , grinding, camping and all of the things that made the game great? i long for those days back :( surely there is something close.

you would LOVE FFXI

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by Daffid011

The demand is there for a server that ends at the velious expansion, because SOE fully took control of EQ of the game after that expansion.  Once Brad was gone the game really lost touch with its roots

First off I never understood the combine server because it wasn't what people asked for.  They asked to have the classic feel without certain expansions.  Instead they got a server (or two that were merged w/e) that was a zerg fest to end up at the same destination no one wanted..

But the last person I quoted here.. it always troubles me to see this type of claim.

First off this game (EQ) was always fully under Sony's control.  The only thing that really ever changed was the name of the studio it was under.  However, they were all... always part of Sony. (smedley who hired brad etc.. was a direct employee of SISA (Sony Interactive Studio's America) as an example).  SISA was renamed 989 studios (for its street address) and when 989 studios went entirely to producting Play Station games.. Verant was formed the PC online division.  Just making the point regardless how you slice the pie these were all "sony studios".  

What you could say was the issues started when they promoted the game makers out of game making and into management.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

What I mean is that before Sony Online Entertainment was hands on in charge of EQ it was just a group of people that Sony didn't really believe in.  They had a little money and creative freedom to make a game they were passionate about.  It wasn't even branded as a SOE product back then.  You won't find the SOE label on EQ boxes until Luclin.  That is why I make the clear distinction.

Once SOE realized the cash cow they were sitting on it was only a matter of time before they squeezed out the passion in the game and replaced it with revenue projects to be met and corporate structures.  The people who made the game what it was soon followed out the door.  The effect was so obvious in the followup products from luclin on out. 

There was far more that changed with EQ than just a few department names.  It isn't just a matter of quoting wikipedia, because that doesn't tell the important aspects of what really happened.