Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I start SWG

Hi, I read about on the official website and it sounds like an intersting game but i also read on the forums that it might not stick around for much longer. So my question is Is it a good time to start SWG ?

thnx.

Comments

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

The game is not going anywhere, the Battle for Echo base (Hoth) is being developed now and the devs have things planned out to 2009 now as well. Try out the free trial and see for yourself. When you are on the selection screen for which server to select from try one htat has a medium or higher load for the time you will be most likely playing.

• bboneheaddbboneheadd Member Posts: 116

ty for the info, is there any new servers because this game is pretty old and i dont want to be a lvl 1 among full serv of lvl 90's lol.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803
    Originally posted by bboneheadd

ty for the info, is there any new servers because this game is pretty old and i dont want to be a lvl 1 among full serv of lvl 90's lol.

That's the situation you'll be in on any server.  No point in PvP until you're 90, for example, regardless of the population of the server.  This game is even more level stratified than WoW is.

My suggestion to you is yeah, free trial before buying, and take advantage of Tansaari Point station (the n00bie area) to level yourself up to 10.  Then have Han Solo take you to Tatooine to see how the real game functions.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Hi, I read about on the official website and it sounds like an intersting game but i also read on the forums that it might not stick around for much longer. So my question is Is it a good time to start SWG ?
    thnx.

Anything about SWG being sunsetted is purely specualtion at this point.  I do not believe that SOE will shut down the game until they absolutely have to ie: A) Lucas Arts chooses not to renew the contract or B) A new Star Wars MMO comes out and all the subscribers from SWG move on (which would include people cancelling their Station Pass accounts because they only play one other SOE title.

Now, as to whether or not you should play swg?  That's up to you, I am one of those "mean old jaded SWG Vets", and as such would not recommend this game to even my worst enemy.  My suggestion would be to find a free trial and give it a spin.  If it's your cup o joe then have fun although you should probably be made aware of the fact that every time someone subscribes to this travesty of a game God kills a baby polar bear, a baby panda, a puppy, a kitten, and clubs a baby seal.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Why in the world would you play a premium monthly rate to play SWG when you can play WoW, CoH/CoV, EVE, AoC, EQ 1, EQ 2, or just about any other major MMO that is a much better game.  SWG is filled with bugs that have been present since day 1 and since the launch of the NGE.

SWG is one of the worst games on the market when it comes to mechanics, content, quests, UI, and playability. 

Try the Free Trial.  You'll find that most of the servers are completely dead.  Nobody can dispute that.  It is just a matter of whether you want to pay a monthly fee for a game that is so lacking.  If you are a major Star Wars fan, and you don't care, then this game might be for you.

If you are a gamer you will likely think SWG is as bad as everyone else does except for the select few fanbois on this site who could care less if you waste your time or money.

Download the Free Trial (If you can get it to work), and play it that way to see if you like the game. 

Tecmo Bowl.

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

As someone who still plays the game because i am a huge Star Wars fan, and sometimes find pleasure in that aspect of the game, I can not recommend the game to anyone other than a die-hard star wars fan who enjoys being in a weird SW alternate reality where Jedi are more numoerous than they should be...

Either way the trial is free, so you have nothing to lose. I recommend trying Bria, Ahazi or Bloodfin as servers, since they are among the most populated.

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 779

thnx.

Its just a rumour and people chatting and discussing stuff nothing more .    As for trying it its up to you no one can really make a decision about that one way or another. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I really don't understand why they have to keep going with SWG, they said for the past 2 years "no plans" but suddenly now they have Hoth up ahead perhaps not for another year and half. But hey, if Hoth is bound to save the game, so be it, otherwise it's a waste of resources and effort, the majority wants Hoth as a pvp based planet but I get the feeling devs won't take that suggestion.

• KallesKalles Member Posts: 56

Hi all.. Im big SOE hater, and now i play SWG! After 3x quit, I play again - the game is now in beter condition then ever (after CU and NGE) Why do I play? Because I enyoj it... When the fun stop (if) I will quit... My opinion: You must try trial, and see the basics of the game...

• jposavatzjposavatz Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by severius 
    Anything about SWG being sunsetted is purely specualtion at this point.  I do not believe that SOE will shut down the game until they absolutely have to ie: A) Lucas Arts chooses not to renew the contract or B) A new Star Wars MMO comes out and all the subscribers from SWG move on (which would include people cancelling their Station Pass accounts because they only play one other SOE title.
    Now, as to whether or not you should play swg?  That's up to you, I am one of those "mean old jaded SWG Vets", and as such would not recommend this game to even my worst enemy.  My suggestion would be to find a free trial and give it a spin.  If it's your cup o joe then have fun although you should probably be made aware of the fact that every time someone subscribes to this travesty of a game God kills a baby polar bear, a baby panda, a puppy, a kitten, and clubs a baby seal.

I respect this post, as:

1. Severius gives a fair suggestion to "try it and see"
    2. ...despite being an admitted "mean old jaded vet"...

And the last part highlighted in yellow actually, truly, made me laugh out loud. 

Oh... and I have no opinion to offer on SWG... I've tried the game a few times (both pre-NGE as well as post-NGE), but never really got into it.  But different strokes for different folks...  <shrug>

• SempaywSempayw Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by Kalles

Hi all.. Im big SOE hater, and now i play SWG! After 3x quit, I play again - the game is now in beter condition then ever (after CU and NGE) Why do I play? Because I enyoj it... When the fun stop (if) I will quit... My opinion: You must try trial, and see the basics of the game...

has it sense  giving money to somebody you hate ?  

think you need a psico-test   

• nratnamnratnam Member UncommonPosts: 186

TBH its not worth starting this game right now. I don;t think it will be around much longer especially with the development of a new star wars mmo.

• bboneheaddbboneheadd Member Posts: 116

From what I read it seems that The only people who are left playing this game are lvl 90 vets and I will probably see very few new peopple which will feel more like a single player game. I'l download the trial and try it but i doubt it very much that I will stick with the game, thanx for your posts.

• JaydinBaneJaydinBane Member Posts: 18

I'm with many of the other vets that say "I could never recommend this game to anyone". I would tell you that at this point in time, it is truly a horrible game. But at the same time I feel like my opinion is extremely biased. I have the ability to compare what the NGE version of SWG is like to my experiences with PRE-CU SWG. I suspect that you, as someone who never played pre-NGE, might find the game rather enjoyable.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

From what I read it seems that The only people who are left playing this game are lvl 90 vets and I will probably see very few new peopple which will feel more like a single player game. I'l download the trial and try it but i doubt it very much that I will stick with the game, thanx for your posts.

This is going to be the case for most MMO's out there that are over a year old.  You'll still find new players that are starting up in the game - my guild just signed up a handful of new people that had recently made their way to level 90 :)

Originally posted by Obraik

This is going to be the case for most MMO's out there that are over a year old.  You'll still find new players that are starting up in the game - my guild just signed up a handful of new people that had recently made their way to level 90 :)

No it's not.  Have you even played any MMO games besides SWG?  I'm guessing not, that is why your opinions are always seemingly SOE Press Releases.

You can log on to ANY server in WoW right now and find level 5 players all over the place.  You can log onto CoH/CoV servers and find lower level players. 

The difference in those games and the reason that SWG doesn't have lower level players is because it isn't bringing in NEW players.  The vast majority of people you see are the diehards that kept playing (somehow) through the NGE, or returning vets from Pre-NGE.

The game isn't able to keep new players because it is horrible if you compare it to the alternatives.  Good games actually get NEW subscribers.  It's a novel concept, isn't it Obraik?

Tecmo Bowl.

• DkevlarDkevlar Member Posts: 308

I m sorry, on wow i accept, since not only  wow is still in expansion in some areas but also there is a strong side economy around it (buying and selling of accounts) , so yeah, you can probably find new players- tho don't forget that some of those new players are alts of old players.

NOw pick u a game as old as SWG, -notice doesnt need to be SWG-, any game that was been around for 3 or more years,  any game where you can change profession/class whatever without making a full reroll, and that for whatever reason limits  the number of characters per server and account.

On a game of that kind , chances are that you'll find  a extremely high number of high lvl players and a lower number of new low level players. I played EVE,  saw some new players but almost diluted in a world of higher level players. Nothing new there tho-  it is almost a  paradigm of not recent MMO's (with wow as exception). 

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

I would suggest the trial.  Try it for yourself and if you have fun...play it, subscribe even.  No worries.

Keep in mind there are certain things in the game does take years to get to the top of.  Combat isn't isn't it.  The station in the trial does just give a taste of the game.  But not the game itself.  For instance...all trder professions.  To craft items you need mined resources from the game.  The resources spawn randomly and can take years to spawn with good stats to make a desirable item to sell.  Traders are a long term game style by nature because of the spawn rates period.  I support current players to enjoy the game, but if anyone comes in and says anything you make stands a chance of selling as a noob player is misleading you.  It will take time.

There are plenty of debates on this forum on whether or not and when SWG will be shut down.  Most of it has been unfounded speculation by both vets and current players.  Recent statements by a certain CEO has complicated things for some of us.  I suggest you read as much info and threads here dealing with it.  There is plenty of debate on what it means or could mean.  I suggest you read up on it and form your opinion on whether or not it calls in to question the future of SWG.

Objectively, current and vet players have passionate and opposing opinions. look past the opinions and judge for yourself.

Enjoy whatever you choose to do.  

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

I haven't played that many MMO's but have had friends that have Obraik.  I have a friend that plays WOW and tried most others I've heard of. He has had no problems with finding or seeing low level players in WOW.  His name was Doc.  I have heard of some guys named Stan, Eric, Kyle, and Kenny that had a problem with high level players, but I think it was overexagerrated.  By the way Doc (real name James) routinly started new characters to play with and had plenty of people his level to play with.  I never played WOW, just watched him play.  I'm all sci-fi.  WOW had been around for four years.

Yes, you said most.  But there is another game out there where noobs and vets mix.  EVE.  Not for all sure, but it does challenge the idea of most/all game end up as a bunch of high levels running around and no noobs.

Not sure what I was trying to say here...

Any way cheers.

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Thunderous
    You can log on to ANY server in WoW right now and find level 5 players all over the place. You can log onto CoH/CoV servers and find lower level players.
    Yeah I'm currently playing CoH/V right now, a pretty big spike of new players lately, lots of new players that don't even have the 3 month vet badge yet, hell when I played Tabula Rasa, there were new players in there all the time. But when I played the free trial in SWG, hardly met anyone that was new to the game, either it were people playing the game for years or coming back from a break or were veterans, the new player were like 1 of every 100ish active players, but that's my wild guess- it's pretty low in comparison.

Originally posted by GrandAm

I haven't played that many MMO's but have had friends that have Obraik.  I have a friend that plays WOW and tried most others I've heard of. He has had no problems with finding or seeing low level players in WOW.  His name was Doc.  I have heard of some guys named Stan, Eric, Kyle, and Kenny that had a problem with high level players, but I think it was overexagerrated.  By the way Doc (real name James) routinly started new characters to play with and had plenty of people his level to play with.  I never played WOW, just watched him play.  I'm all sci-fi.  WOW had been around for four years.

Yes, you said most.  But there is another game out there where noobs and vets mix.  EVE.  Not for all sure, but it does challenge the idea of most/all game end up as a bunch of high levels running around and no noobs.

Not sure what I was trying to say here...

Any way cheers.

Fair enough.  However, I'm sure the case for most established MMO's is that there will be a much higher percentage of max level players compared to those in the beginning levels - I'm not saying that old MMO's don't have players at those low levels :)  SWG, at least on Chilastra, has low levels floating around in Eisley and the other Legacy quest hubs.

Obraik, I am not a hardcore MMO gamer but I have played probably 7 or 8 of them.

WoW has low level players all over the place.

CoH-CoV has a number of them.

EVE has low level players.

Those are just some of the older games I have played lately.  In the case of SWG, which I have played recently, you don't see many low level players at all.  On Bloodfin, I did encounter 1 total noob to SWG, he was using Station Pass, or so he said, and was trying a number of games out.

I encountered several low level players that were re-rolling toons from my old server of Lowca to the more populated Bloodfin.

The difference between SWG and the other existing successful MMO games is that the other games are bringing in new players, SWG is not, and when it does is not able to sustain the subscriptions.  The low levels you see are likely toons being re-rolled from empty servers.  Those are NOT new players, they are new toons.  There is a big difference.

I am curious to see if you have even played any other MMOs.

Tecmo Bowl.

Originally posted by Thunderous

Obraik, I am not a hardcore MMO gamer but I have played probably 7 or 8 of them.
    WoW has low level players all over the place.
    CoH-CoV has a number of them.
    EVE has low level players.
    Those are just some of the older games I have played lately.  In the case of SWG, which I have played recently, you don't see many low level players at all.  On Bloodfin, I did encounter 1 total noob to SWG, he was using Station Pass, or so he said, and was trying a number of games out.
    I encountered several low level players that were re-rolling toons from my old server of Lowca to the more populated Bloodfin.
    The difference between SWG and the other existing successful MMO games is that the other games are bringing in new players, SWG is not, and when it does is not able to sustain the subscriptions.  The low levels you see are likely toons being re-rolled from empty servers.  Those are NOT new players, they are new toons.  There is a big difference.
    I am curious to see if you have even played any other MMOs.

On a daily basis, I get in-game mails and tells from people looking to buy armour (and now weapons) that are quite clearly new to the game and are looking for info on what's available to them for their level/profession.  

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Just resubbed, it's actually kind of surprising logic told me most would be 90 as well , However 60% of thsoe I've passed are 20-40 I guess another wave of transfers hit bloodfin recently . All the 90's seem to be in restuss , I'm in eisley right now. Not to many people around maybe 50 or so , it is 2 am  .

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

thnx.

If you're worried about SWG being closed tommorrow, go ahead and subscribe.  If you're worried about SWG being fun and polished, stay far, far away.  The game is unlikely to close down within the next year or so, but it is horrible and unfun, so no, you shouldn't start playing it.

You won't know for yourself how awful the game really is until you witness it yourself, so by all means, if the game interests you, try the trial.  Just make sure you make it past the newbie space station, as that is the highpoint of the current game and things are down hill from there, at a very steep pace.

This discussion has been closed.