Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fury: Cancelled

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

It seems that the folks at Auran Games, who announced back in December of '07 that their PvP-centric MMORPG Fury would be moving from a subscription model to a free-to-play model, have run out of time.

Early this morning, the company announced that the game servers and website will be shutting down in 48 hours.

We have reached our time limit to find a solution that would help us keep the Fury servers open. Sadly, no solution has been found and so we have no alternative than to shut the servers down in 48 hours.

To all those players who have enjoyed Fury and played countless battles, I am sorry that we could not find a viable business model that would allow you to continue playing. To all those naysayers and doomsdayers, we know that deep down you wanted Fury to succeed. Have fun with your parting wishes

To the Auran team, who put their heart and soul into making Fury, thanks for your efforts. As I said many times before, we need to be much better than the competition to have a chance of succeeding. We gave it everything we had and history now judges that it still wasn’t good enough.

Whilst this marks the end of the Fury chapter, who knows what the future may bring. There were many gems hidden within Fury and many lessons learned. Hopefully one day the full potential can be realized in some other form.

So for now, so long and thanks for all the fish.

P.S. We informed all stores more than a month ago to remove stock from their shelves. If you have purchased a copy of Fury in the past month, we suggest you return it to the store.

P.P.S. This website will also close down in 48 hours.

Read the original post here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

I remember a lot of people calling this one when they announced the money tournament module. 100 points to all you, save them up and the darkfall debacle is coming up soon so more points to earn and tally.

Anyway this just proves that a PVP only MMO can't make it in this dog eat dog harsh cold world.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • RabidaskalRabidaskal Member Posts: 238

Another one bites the dust

I don''t really know when Humankind will die out but i''m guessing about 6 years before WOW.
    -BarCrow

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Good riddance to bad rubbish....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

At least now there will be no mixing it up with ID softwares up and coming FPS called Fury.

• Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by IAmMMO
    At least now there will be no mixing it up with ID softwares up and coming FPS called Fury.

Yeah at least that will never happen...not that it would've happened before this announcement...since well...the id game is called "Rage".

This whole concept was flawed to begin with...trying to make people pay for what is essentially a console fighter game. After the P2P failure it just kept going down hill since it probably was easily beat by dedicated fighter games.

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

The game had no chance from the start.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

I second the notion, good riddance. The concept sucked, it wasn't a real MMOG.

If someone would only make a classic MMOG like early EQ again, they would succeed.

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

I apologise to the Fury fans.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by HashBrick
    Anyway this just proves that a PVP only MMO can't make it in this dog eat dog harsh cold world.

I see what you did there! You gotta love the irony of it all.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Its not that an all pvp game cant survive, it is just a shitty one has no chance of surviving. Fury was no better then exteel or counter strike, just a bunch of room based fighting, yet they wanted a subscription, and made promises they had no intention of keeping.

Fury was never an MMO, i am surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

its kind of sad...when an MMO dies.....once Fury hit free to play i jumped on it...for a while it was really fun and me and my buddy loved it...in the end it just couldn't hold up ...if it had started up as F2p i believe it would still be around....

Fury took me back to old guild wars  before the PvP was "find a build on guildwikki that have been proven overpowered"   people took pride in their build even if it was not that great

tsk tsk to some of you   who cares if you did not enjoy the game   you really do not have to be so rude about it. these devs put an effort in...

its like a student laughing in the face of a teacher when they don't like the lesson...i bet it would suck

some people don't like having a broad MMO market....RIP fury....you had a so so run too bad you had no PvE  i bet people would have loved you....would have.....

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by katriell

I apologise to the Fury fans.

no need.there are any left

• RuppichRuppich Member UncommonPosts: 29

imho this game was just boring from the beginning.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

People dont like loosing, and in only pvp games most of players loose most of the fights, at least 50% of players loose their battles. This is why fury died. People don't like loosing, you dont like login in, fight 10 battle loose 7 or 8 of them. This is why pve games succed, you always win, sooner or later.

• BorkotronBorkotron Member Posts: 282

I can't really comment on this game as it totally sucked before I even got into the PvP. All of these F2P games have about five minutes to win me over. Fury, once installed, seemed clunky and very visually unappealing. I got bored before I even found anyone to fight.

• joshejoshe Member Posts: 379

How can u even call an online room based game a MMO ?
    It can be only called MO - multiplayer online, not massive.
    It wasn't even 100% pvp. How can u say that pvp games don't chave a chance to succeed ? First years of UO, now DFo having huge fanbase, forthcoming MortalOnline... Those last 2 are developing to be 100% PvP games, not a pve + some sort of pvp. And going to be MMO, not MO.

Anyway, is it weird that Korean crappy MMOs gain enough $ to prosper, while such productions like Fury or AA have to die due to insufficient income ?
    Seems that pplz just want to sit in front of monitor, and own a mushroom 2391241 time. They don't want a competition between players, cause they suck in such thing. They don't want to loose ...
    No fun at all

--
    /thread

Remember, your advantage lies in your opponent's weakness (J)

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

The game had potential but failed to deliver. Much like AoC. Still waiting to see the headline where AoC is cancelled.

• einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197

Not an MMO, not PVP, should never have been mentioned at this website. Meanwhile you have Urban Dead and Kingdom of Loathing banned from the site. Come to think of it, it looks like someone forgot to take Runescape off the game list, and when is the GTA4 forum going to open?

einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton

• nickman1993nickman1993 Member Posts: 287

I loved the game from the begging because i caught on fast an owned everyone to bad people where to blind to see wha fury had in game and with potential.

I new you, i played you, i loved you, and know your dead......

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

So this was a room based PvP game? Like others have said.. One can buy Mortal Kombat or go to the video arcade. Why pay a monthly fee?

If Free to Play failed them, then it must have been bad.

I think the argument for MMO designs that focus on only PvP may have the upper hand now.  There has to be some element of PvE for players to enjoy MMOs.

I do not think games like AoC will die because of the PvE element to it. 

• jaigaiajaigaia Member Posts: 66

Its sad to see such a good idea that had some decent potential die so fast. If anyone ever read Jeff Strains How to make a successful MMO,  i think that Fury was kind of what he had in mind. For all that keep saying its not MMO material thats to the cliche ideal of what a  MMO is, mmo is nothing more than massive mutliplayer , its like pvp as long as theres an actual person on the other side your playing against no matter the gametype RTS,FPS, FIGHTING its essentially pvp.

Lets get past all the BS that surrounded FURY it was and ideal game that needed to be made to help try to break the mold of the current pc gaming market. Unfortunately it fell victim to the same throat needle a lot of development teams are suffering from except on one market, wasnt overhyped in fact wasnt hyped enough. The release of a subpar under developed game and a constant change in business model hurt Fury the most. We wont even go into customer or community relations.

Someone mentioned their last idea on subscription , yea it was a bust and also never implemented, in all reality FURY should have came with a business model similar to Guildwars , once you buy it F2p for life no sub fees and should have had regular expansions added. That definitely would have helped in its approach to the market. I can say though that i actually mentioned the console idea to the development team and even asked why that approach wasnt put more to thought ... the reply i got was "give me 500K and ill have that for you"  ... essentially this game was but a fighter at its based with some advanced combat mechanics, though it would have been dumbed down it would have by far been the best fighter to date on console and would have done well with the proper marketing approach.

ill leave by saying im not a fanboi of FURY , but definitely of its concept , the ideal of not having to go thru endless hrs of carebearing to get to what is essentially mainly endgame pvp at its finest is what made me look to FURY to begin w/. Sad though to see it go so soon. To the team over there i know you have an upward battle ahead of you for your own futures but i wish them luck. just plz if you try this again think before you act, and learn to walk before you run.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die."

• keslerikesleri Member Posts: 127

Hope this will be a lesson to every mmo developer. DO NOT COPY PASTE GAMES AND ASK FOR A FEE.

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Its not that an all pvp game cant survive, it is just a shitty one has no chance of surviving. Fury was no better then exteel or counter strike, just a bunch of room based fighting, yet they wanted a subscription, and made promises they had no intention of keeping.
    Fury was never an MMO, i am surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Sadly I agree. Exteel > Fury... and that's bad.

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by RedwoodSap

I second the notion, good riddance. The concept sucked, it wasn't a real MMOG.
    If someone would only make a classic MMOG like early EQ again, they would succeed.

No it wouldn't. Vanguard, despite a VERY rocky launch, tried to be old school and got dinged. An EQ redeux would only appeal to a very niche, old grognard group of MMO players who have a foggy & selective recollection of how "great" EQ was.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.