Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Endgame content?

Ive been trying to stay away from Lotro for a while now cause Ive been told that it is exactly like WoW more or less. Well, choosing to ignore that, Im wondering about the info I can never manage to find anywhere for any MMO which is:

Endgame content! How much of it is for small groups and how much for large groups(Raids)?

How big is a small grp? And how big is a large group?

Do you need a full group to do all the content? Is the requirements for groups made so that u need specific classes in order to progress? Or does the game give some slack in terms or group/raid composition?

Do you need to grind for hrs in order to get ready for a raid? Or is that not of importance?

Is the endgame content in instances? If so, what is the reset time on these? If there are no reset times, how does it then work?

Any info to these questions are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ServaseServase Member Posts: 180

Here's your endgame content.

Helegrod - 24man... but nobody does this instance and the loot isn't worth getting.

Rift - 12man.. Has some decent loots, the set pieces could be better. Like for instance, 3 pieces of the set are better than crafted gear, the rest is worse than crafted gear. For me anyways, and I'm a minstrel.

Book 9 - 14 require a 6man group. Once you complete the book, they're done and you have nothing to do.

Aninuminas - 6man... The gear isn't good or worth getting at all, especially if your kin does Rift.

So really, all there is to do at 50, is PvMP and rift. The PVP in LOTRO is worse than WoW, and it's pretty bad in WoW. Rift is fun, you will run this dozens of times as it's the only endgame instance.

There are about 100 quests in every zone... I think about 1200 total. You will level by the time you complete like 700... so there's no reason to do the ones you skipped. Since, the only goal is to obtain exp which u no longer will get.

So in conclusion. All you can do really is, PvMP, create many alts, do rift a dozen times and deeds. If you want to max out your deeds, then you can do that. But really, deed 9 is not much better than a deed at 7. But if you love the storyline and graphics, then you will continue to play.

The only thing that kept me hooked was the extremely low monthly price. $10/mo or $200 lifetime is attractive. This is a game you will beat in like 2months get bored, play something else, and come back once new content is added.

Although, content udpates are very poor, once every 2months and they add very little usually. Just a book quest that you will complete in 2days.

It's not like WoW, where blizzard patches the game every Tuesday and there are frequent content updates, most of which add content that will keep you going for many weeks.

But like I said, nice graphics, amazing storyline and cheap monthly fee. I currently play this and WoW... mostly WoW, but when a new content in LOTRO actually happens, I come back and check it out. Until WAR releases that is, then I will likely quick LOTRO for good. Not worth the $10/mo anymore ehehe.

Playing: WoW,

Played: Aion, AoC, Eve, EQ, EQ2, LOTRO, Runescape, Guild Wars, DAoC, Planetside, SWG, WAR, Darkfall

Wanting to try: DCU Online

Waiting For: Star Wars The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2.

• WrymstrumWrymstrum Member Posts: 196

I'd agree with some of what the other guy said, but not all.  Especially not the part about WOW updating more often than LOTRO.  That's ridiculous.  LOTRO puts out major patches every 2-3 months, although one time it took 4. 

At end game there are a bunch of 6 man instances (5 or 6 of different scope), the rift (12 man), and helegrod (24 man).  Turbine's philosopy is to not make the game so much about and endless, gated gear grind.  You can get top end gear from crafting, pvp, raiding, and other ways.  Generally the gear from the rift is slightly better than the other gear, but it's not a huge difference and there are exceptions.  There's a new patch coming out tomorrow that is going to revitalize most of the 6 man dungeons with upgraded loot and some other rewards. 

If all you care about is doing a gear grind from raids, then lotro end game isn't for you most likely.  Personally I like doing them to experience the content just as much as for the gear.  The story/lore/history behind a lot of the instances is pretty awesome. 

[quote]Endgame content! How much of it is for small groups and how much for large groups(Raids)?

2 raids, and quite a few 6 man instances.

Do you need a full group to do all the content? Is the requirements for groups made so that u need specific classes in order to progress? Or does the game give some slack in terms or group/raid composition?

LOTRO gives you a lot of leeway with these issues.  Since it's more of a pve game, the classes are somewhat stronger than their wow counterparts.  They also have this unique attack called a fellowship maneuver which can happen randomly or directly in some limited cases (2 classes have skills to start them).  A fellowship maneuver requires each person to select 1 of 4 basic attacks with different effects (direct damage, dot, heal, power restore).  Furthermore, special combinations can give you powerful effects such as big group heals/power restores, buffs, debuffs, extra damage, aoe damage, etc.  Using particular fellowship maneuvers allows you to compensate for particular shortcomings of your group composition.  If my group is light on heals, we can do powerful healing moves.   If we're low on damage we can do damage moves, etc etc. 

Do you need to grind for hrs in order to get ready for a raid? Or is that not of importance?

Not at all.

Is the endgame content in instances? If so, what is the reset time on these? If there are no reset times, how does it then work?

A lot of end game content is in instances, but the vast majority of the story is either solo, small group, or single group content.  There's a ton of really solid quest content for solo/groups as well.  [/quote]

~~~ Currently Playing ~~~
    LOTRO- Guardian Wrymstrum & Lore-master Stabler on Nimrodel.

Conan- Zoltar <Angels of Death> Guardian on Stormrage.

• ServaseServase Member Posts: 180

Yes and blizzard puts out more updates in 2-3 months than Turbine. Not to mention, what blizzard releases can last longer. Once you complete the book in 2days max, what 's next? lol

But Turbine does update the game and for free... like all other MMO's out there. Just certain games are bigger and need more frequent updates to keep their large population. Turbine has about 150k or less subscribers for LOTRO while Blizzard has to worry about 10million people. So, obviously they will add more.

But I like how LOTRO is a lot more casual play. Fits into my schedule so I can play other MMO's, like WAR!!! lol

Playing: WoW,

Played: Aion, AoC, Eve, EQ, EQ2, LOTRO, Runescape, Guild Wars, DAoC, Planetside, SWG, WAR, Darkfall

Wanting to try: DCU Online

Waiting For: Star Wars The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

but WoW sucks and looks like total crap. :p

And LOTRO releases alot more content than WoW.  Just because WoW might add one new piece of badge gear or some crap once a week doesn't mean they are releasing more content than LOTRO's huge updates.  Like tomarrow's book 14 update, for instance, they are releasing a whole new area and adding in all kinds of revamps and new stuff.

Don't forget guys, this game is still a baby, and the first expansion is coming out this fall, which will add a ton of good end game content. 

• WrymstrumWrymstrum Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Servase

Yes and blizzard puts out more updates in 2-3 months than Turbine. Not to mention, what blizzard releases can last longer. Once you complete the book in 2days max, what 's next? lol

But Turbine does update the game and for free... like all other MMO's out there. Just certain games are bigger and need more frequent updates to keep their large population. Turbine has about 150k or less subscribers for LOTRO while Blizzard has to worry about 10million people. So, obviously they will add more.

But I like how LOTRO is a lot more casual play. Fits into my schedule so I can play other MMO's, like WAR!!! lol

I don't know what you're referring to, but you can see all of WOW's major patches here:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/implemented/

release-  11/23/04 latest patch- 7/15/08

16 patches over 3 years 7.5 months. 

LOTRO's release- 4/24/07  latest patch- 5/22/08 

5 patches over 13 months

They both are about the same with 1 patch roughly every 3 months.  However LOTRO is also putting out a full expansion this fall, whereas it took blizzard several years to do an expansion.  LOTRO is doing yearly expansions, so that really tips the scale in their favor.  Personally I think LOTRO's patches have a lot more content in them.  Not as many raids, but more overall content.  Look at wow's 2.2 patch.  Listed features:  Voice Chat and Mac Movie capture.   Look at 1.10-  weather effects, priest talents, and a new armor set. 

~~~ Currently Playing ~~~
    LOTRO- Guardian Wrymstrum & Lore-master Stabler on Nimrodel.

Conan- Zoltar <Angels of Death> Guardian on Stormrage.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Even if people say that LotrO is a WoW clone its important to remember that they have VERY different "end-game" philosophy! If you want get the best gear and "max out" your character and then think that you have beaten the game.. yea WoW is the game for you...

WoW adds alot of raid content and new tiers to their gear to keep people grinding in the game... LotrO adds alot of different stuff for all kinds of people in every content update! Hmmm did WoW add personal- and guild housing in a free patch? Did they add a outfit system and barber shops? Did they add dx 10?

Now tell me, what did WoW add between TBC and WotLK?  And I can tell you what LotrO added :)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• ikonfokkahikonfokkah Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the reply ppl :)

What about the future content? Is that aimed at 24 man? or lower?

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

I hear they were goign to add instances (raids) of 24 12 6 and even hear something about a 3 man instance in the expansion.

btw as of today anuminas set doesnt suck anymore. yay!

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

Book 9 - 14 require a 6man group. Once you complete the book, they're done and you have nothing to do.

We already know that you don't like LOTRO :) but keep to the facts please. Books 9 and 11 can be done totally solo (maybe the last Q in B11 needs 4-5 man group. Book 13 is mostly solo as I have heard (being at B12CH9 now).

Book 14 is not even out yet, so how can you comment?

Basically from book 9 to 13 the only book that needs a 5-man (not even 6man!) FS is Book 12. Just done CH5 and 8 yesterday, CH5 was the hardest so far, did it with 2 captains and 3 hunters (myself is an LM:) very easily. Book8 is doable with 3 peeps again (although quest log says FS quest).

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

Originally posted by ghettobooste

but WoW sucks and looks like total crap. :p
    And LOTRO releases alot more content than WoW.  Just because WoW might add one new piece of badge gear or some crap once a week doesn't mean they are releasing more content than LOTRO's huge updates.  Like tomarrow's book 14 update, for instance, they are releasing a whole new area and adding in all kinds of revamps and new stuff.
    Don't forget guys, this game is still a baby, and the first expansion is coming out this fall, which will add a ton of good end game content. 

I played wow for over a year and loved it. However, last week I tried to go back to WOW since my bro plays it, but I just cannot stand those ULTRA-EXTRA hyper low res textures, and 10-polygon models anymore. It looks like a game from 1999.

And on contend addition, c'mon there are a lot better examples: WOW cannot even wash the feet of LOTRO in terms of added content, let alone FREE content. (did wow have any at all?). We'll see the greater picture after Moria, of course, but it's already obvious.

DB

That's some flawed logic... how on earth does the number of subscribers affect the rate in which new content updates should be added?

More people play quicker together? Sorry, I just can't grasp the concept :)

Either way, LOTRO has already been added 4 content updates, the 5th coming this week. By content update I mean: new areas, new quests, new items, new customization, new recipes, new features.

WOW gave such an update after 2 years, and not even for free. Even the comparison is laughable.

DB

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

^^^^^^^^^^

I think you need to recheck your facts. Blizzard did a good bit before BC was released.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Yea WoW gets alot of free content aswell! all MMO that I know of gets free content so its not like turbine is doin anything different! (even if I think their free content is more impresive)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Yes and blizzard puts out more updates in 2-3 months than Turbine.
    BS!  That's the biggest lie ever, or you're really misinformed.  Blizzard is notoriously known for taking long and adding content to their games.  This goes all the way back to Diablo.

Other than that, i agree with your first post.  There really isn't much to do at 50.

• tfox2k1tfox2k1 Member Posts: 215

LOTRO isn't a game for  "MMO Vampires" (my new term and bet it catches on) so let me define it.   An MMO Vampire is someone who spends 20 hours a day behind their computer screen sucking the life out of an MMO.   They will spend months on end running through content in an MMO sucking its life to become more powerful than the other gamers.

Eventually these MMO Vampires will suck the MMO dry and begin seeking a fresh victim.    Certain companies like SOE will add endless road blocks in hopes of slowing these no lifer vampires down.   They will add endless xp grinds, flagging systems, reputation, other methods of poor game design to stop these vampires.   All to no avail, because you CAN NOT KILL that which is already dead. 

LOTRO realized trying to stop these MMO vampires is impossible.   They have devoted their meaningless life to sucking an MMO dry.   So LOTRO decided to remove all of the poor game design mechanics.   Let the vampires run through their MMO, and leave.     While the rest of the gamers realize all the depth LOTRO has and enjoy it greatly.   Even more so since the MMO vampires are not around craving more blood.  

If you want to join your fellow MMO Vampires, I highly recommend seeing the original coven in EQ.   Quite a few moved on to WoW and even a few of the younger ones to AoC.    Many are waiting patiently for their next fresh victim, WAR. 

Avoid MMO Vampires, they hate their lives (reason they are endlessly trying to escape in an MMO)  and you're nothing more than a body to get them more blood. 

Originally posted by tfox2k1

LOTRO isn't a game for  "MMO Vampires" (my new term and bet it catches on) so let me define it.   An MMO Vampire is someone who spends 20 hours a day behind their computer screen sucking the life out of an MMO.   They will spend months on end running through content in an MMO sucking its life to become more powerful than the other gamers.

Eventually these MMO Vampires will suck the MMO dry and begin seeking a fresh victim.    Certain companies like SOE will add endless road blocks in hopes of slowing these no lifer vampires down.   They will add endless xp grinds, flagging systems, reputation, other methods of poor game design to stop these vampires.   All to no avail, because you CAN NOT KILL that which is already dead. 

LOTRO realized trying to stop these MMO vampires is impossible.   They have devoted their meaningless life to sucking an MMO dry.   So LOTRO decided to remove all of the poor game design mechanics.   Let the vampires run through their MMO, and leave.     While the rest of the gamers realize all the depth LOTRO has and enjoy it greatly.   Even more so since the MMO vampires are not around craving more blood.  

If you want to join your fellow MMO Vampires, I highly recommend seeing the original coven in EQ.   Quite a few moved on to WoW and even a few of the younger ones to AoC.    Many are waiting patiently for their next fresh victim, WAR. 

Avoid MMO Vampires, they hate their lives (reason they are endlessly trying to escape in an MMO)  and you're nothing more than a body to get them more blood. 

This has gotta the be one of the best posts I have ever read on these boards.

It should be taught at the games developers university!

DB

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

If you are a hardcore raider that for whatever reason didn't notice that  the WoW endgame blows for a casual player, and doesn't give a crap about any new content unless it's raids, the LoTRO end game is not for you.  If you are one of these myopic hardcores, you likely don't see the point of 90% of the content that gets added to LoTRO.  You might even be living under the delusion that Blizzard has added more to WoW in the last year than has been added to LoTRO (since Blizzard added more raid zones than LoTRO...while LoTRO added more of everything else).

If you like the idea of being able to get gear that is roughly on par by doing PvP, raiding, 6 mans, or crafting (your choice) or dabbling in all 4 to get the absolute peak gear for your class, then the LoTRO end game may be for you. 

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

These are the kinds of guys I'm glad detest LoTRO.  "Be free little bird, find a new home  . . . .and stop shitting on mine!"

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

Originally posted by Yeebo

If you are a hardcore raider that for whatever reason didn't notice that  the WoW endgame sucks balls for a casual player, and doesn't give a crap about any new content unless it's raids, the LoTRO end game is not for you.  If you are one of these myopic e-peeners, you likely don't see the point of 90% of the content that gets added to LoTRO.  You might even be living under the delusion that Blizzard has added more to WoW in the last year than has been added to LoTRO (since Blizzard added more raid zones than LoTRO...while LoTRO added more of everything else).
    If you like the idea of being able to get gear that is roughly on par by doing PvP, raiding, 6 mans, or crafting (your choice) or dabbling in all 4 to get the absolute peak gear for your class, then the LoTRO end game may be for you. 

QFT as well.

I have run into an interesting dilemma in LOTRO. My Loremaster has acquired a 3-piece set armor in Tal Bruinen (45ish area), that is so good (light armor) as a full set (Fate +27 for the 3-set)  that even the Book quest rewards cannot make them obsolete. (I don't PVP or raid really).

So... I am getting these fance robes and stuff from the book quests, but none of them beats this Robe of the woods, if it used together with the other 2 parts. What now? :)

Also, my 45 burglar is wearing the full Fém set (from Aughaira), that has so much boost, my crafted stuff cannot compare to it (can't crit T4 and T5 yet).

So, the additions coming with the last 4 updates in DID have a lot of "everything".... (we can actually meet Gollum in Tal Bruinen too) :)

DB

Originally posted by DonnieBrasco

If you are a hardcore raider that for whatever reason didn't notice that  the WoW endgame sucks balls for a casual player, and doesn't give a crap about any new content unless it's raids, the LoTRO end game is not for you.  If you are one of these myopic e-peeners, you likely don't see the point of 90% of the content that gets added to LoTRO.  You might even be living under the delusion that Blizzard has added more to WoW in the last year than has been added to LoTRO (since Blizzard added more raid zones than LoTRO...while LoTRO added more of everything else).

QFT as well.

I have run into an interesting dilemma in LOTRO. My Loremaster has acquired a 3-piece set armor in Tal Bruinen (45ish area), that is so good (light armor) as a full set (Fate +27 for the 3-set)  that even the Book quest rewards cannot make them obsolete. (I don't PVP or raid really).

So... I am getting these fance robes and stuff from the book quests, but none of them beats this Robe of the woods, if it used together with the other 2 parts. What now? :)

Also, my 45 burglar is wearing the full Fém set (from Aughaira), that has so much boost, my crafted stuff cannot compare to it (can't crit T4 and T5 yet).

So, the additions coming with the last 4 updates in DID have a lot of "everything".... (we can actually meet Gollum in Tal Bruinen too) :)

DB

I thought the quest where you meet Gollum was awesome.  For some reason was not expecting him at all :-)

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

I thought the quest where you meet Gollum was awesome.  For some reason was not expecting him at all :-)

Ok, that was one of the coolest quests I have done too.  That egotistic hunter was hilarious.  And when gollem ran up that cliff and looked over the edge at me, I could really see the hate in his eyes!  It gave me goosebumps!

• tazeetazee Member Posts: 1

Here's your endgame content.

Helegrod - 24man... but nobody does this instance and the loot isn't worth getting.
    Rift - 12man.. Has some decent loots, the set pieces could be better. Like for instance, 3 pieces of the set are better than crafted gear, the rest is worse than crafted gear. For me anyways, and I'm a minstrel.
    Aninuminas - 6man... The gear isn't good or worth getting at all, especially if your kin does Rift.

So really, all there is to do at 50, is PvMP and rift. The PVP in LOTRO is worse than WoW, and it's pretty bad in WoW. Rift is fun, you will run this dozens of times as it's the only endgame instance.
    There are about 100 quests in every zone... I think about 1200 total. You will level by the time you complete like 700... so there's no reason to do the ones you skipped. Since, the only goal is to obtain exp which u no longer will get.

So in conclusion. All you can do really is, PvMP, create many alts, do rift a dozen times and deeds. If you want to max out your deeds, then you can do that. But really, deed 9 is not much better than a deed at 7. But if you love the storyline and graphics, then you will continue to play.
    The only thing that kept me hooked was the extremely low monthly price. $10/mo or $200 lifetime is attractive. This is a game you will beat in like 2months get bored, play something else, and come back once new content is added.
    Although, content udpates are very poor, once every 2months and they add very little usually. Just a book quest that you will complete in 2days.
    It's not like WoW, where blizzard patches the game every Tuesday and there are frequent content updates, most of which add content that will keep you going for many weeks.
    But like I said, nice graphics, amazing storyline and cheap monthly fee. I currently play this and WoW... mostly WoW, but when a new content in LOTRO actually happens, I come back and check it out. Until WAR releases that is, then I will likely quick LOTRO for good. Not worth the $10/mo anymore ehehe.

Helegrod- The Rift definately has priority, but we still run it.

Book 9 - 14 - Actually there are now rewards for rerunning parts of Books 4-14.  You can get raid level armor, crafting supplies, and other benefits from this

Aninuminas -Completely redone, all new armor... revised boss encounters, more user friendly

CD, BG, Uru - 6 man instances with their own set of raid level gear (just added)

3 new 6 man world event instances - Newly added 6 man 30-45 minute duration instances

Deeds for all of this endgame content.

Session Play - Two new sessions, and no... you aren't running around as some animal this time.

LotRO was lacking in endgame, book 14 made a huge jump in endgame content.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

All the content in LotRO could be done in 2 months or less, with little to no effort.   This is without spending 20 hours a day, but more like 4-8 hours a day. 

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

It all depends on what you want in a MMO.

Lord of the Rings: Online has a nice name and takes very little involvement to achieve everything in. It is the most casual title out among the triple-A crowd and it will ofcourse show in various departments.

The world is confined and small with a clear "follow-the-line" type of super-quest that will also make sure players progress in a set way if they follow it. In an effort to enhance this element, they have reduced experience gain to a negligible amount unless you do quests. Random running around IC and having fun with friends without following a quest line is giving next to no experience.

In order to avoid thinking about class balancing and having players tinker with their characters all character classes have been devised to be identical across levels. There is no difference between one level 30 Guardian and another level 30 Guardian, all are the same, again to minimize the load on players, having to be able to cope with perhaps different playstyles from different potential party members.

This is a minor concern ofcourse, because even though some quests are labelled "Group" (and some was hard earlier in the game), the difficulty has now been dropped to such an extent that the "Group" label is more misleading than anything.

It is also a very formal and "stand still in your spot" combat interface that lends well to players doing other things at the same time. It is no problem looking through the Tolkien books for instance at the same time, wondering about the giant flys, constantly attacking and marauding bears right next to villages and how the litterary Middle-Earth suddenly became LEGOLAND: Middle-Earth.

And the best thing about the game: Everytime you return it is clearly noticable how many more RMTs that have given up on this promising title!

Soon you might be able to have the whole server for yourself and your five closest friends.

(Post held in a slightly sarcastic tone, I do still play Lord of the Rings: Online from time to time, but the potential wasted far outweighs the potential realised in this title)

Originally posted by observer

All the content in LotRO could be done in 2 months or less, with little to no effort.   This is without spending 20 hours a day, but more like 4-8 hours a day. 

4-8 hours is an extreme effort for anyone out of their college years.

Lotro caters to the "grownup" crowd perfectly. And we love it this way actually.

DB