Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

July 2008 video presented at the Greece conference

2»

Comments

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Fodfod

You must be mistaken, why would Tasos presents at this very important conference a 2 years old video  just 5 months before release, it doesnt make any sense.
    Care to explain trolls ?

WOW you can't work it out? LOLOL

BECAUSE THE GAME IS NOT COMING OUT THIS YEAR BECAUSE THERE IS NO GAME!!

That is why they had to show OLD OLD OLD video footage, they are no further forward, it's obvious to those outside the darkfall religion.

• SilvarchSilvarch Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by Roin

Originally posted by daarco

Everyone! Relax.....its not our problem how Aventurine runs its own business.  Maybe we will se a new video tomorrow....maybe we wont. Maybe will the game be released in five months...maybe it wont.
    As a hardcore DF fanboi all i can do is wait and see. And that is exatly what every troll also have to do.

Remember, "there is no shortcut to the perfect sound" as i usually say.

Sorry daarco, but that is a pretty lame response.  You couldn't be more wrong about "it is not our problem".  Everything that goes on in the gaming industry has an effect whether good or bad towards the industry.  Aventurine practices are bad for business.  Screwing up now,  will have lasting effects on what happens to sandbox games down the road.  It's hard enough for indie companies to convince even small publishers and investors to let them sign on with them.  Doing stuff like showing up to conventions with year old video's. Doesn't help the smaller guys that are thinking about walking the same path with their own game idea's.  Because not everyone has the capitol or means to produce and self publish something as big as a MMO.

So give it a rest with lame excuses like the one you posted.

Thats the biggest load I've ever heard.    Oh NO if DarkFall doesn't make a new video then noone will ever try a sandbox game EVER AGAIN!

You're wrong there buddy, Adventurine will only hurt the the Sandbox Genre IF they release, and release poorly, not if they don't release at all.  

As he said, and as I've said you can't make DarkFall change the way they run their business. Whether the video was new or old, it doesn't matter, because we don't decide what DarkFall does.

If you don't like it, don't follow the game, they'll do the same thing whether you troll the forums or not, it's really not hurting anything by them trying to develop this game.  If anything its shown a very good niche market from players who've followed this game, especially for so long. 

I disagree with the belief that it will not harm the genre if it does not release. It would be further empirical evidence that the ideas behind it are so impossibly hard to realize at all that even after 7 years of development nothing came to fruition. It would be further proof that the niche is unsatisfiable and economically unfeasible. That's what prospective developers and investors would see it as looking back. So let us wish them success.

• Exar_KunExar_Kun Member Posts: 242

Old news pal...seen this one over a year ago.

DARKFALL = FAIL!

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

I have great news everyone, GameWorldGr just posted today the latest exclusive video of DArkfall.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1wA6yRetDI
    I think we can finally all agree that the game is REAL.
    Die trolls, you just got OWNED!!

Fodford took aim with his new custom made shotgun. He had the nearest troll squarely in his sights. He grinned to himself as he slowly pulled the trigger.

......and the shotgun blew up in his face!

• CreepingDoomCreepingDoom Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by achesoma

That video is over a year old and still proves nothing. 

As usual, nothing tangible will ever come out of these forums.

The game is all smoke and mirrors, nothing more and nothing less, what a disgraceful joke.

Rock a FailCom avatar now and express your disgust with pride!

The truth hurts...
    Funcom RX

• FodfodFodfod Member Posts: 53

Oh well, i still understand why Darkfall devs show an alpha video at the conference 5 months before release

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Oh well, i still understand why Darkfall devs show an alpha video at the conference 5 months before release

It has been said before but how hard would it be to record a 10 minute video? Couple minutes in a town , dungeon and some PvP.. Not that hard.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

You must be mistaken, why would Tasos presents at this very important conference a 2 years old video  just 5 months before release, it doesnt make any sense.
    Care to explain trolls ?

Now that is the funniest comment on this thread.  Thank you for giving us a great laugh today.

You do know of course that there is absolutely no way they will get this game out this year, maybe if they cut down the feature list, next year. 

The video is an old one.  Been remarked about many times because it shows complete lack of a UI, maybe they have not written one yet.

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Originally posted by Polarization

I hope we wont be seeing even more excuses and justifications like the ones Daarco is trying to make the closer we get to December.

I know this might be redundant at this stage, but I just noticed the two screen shots in the article are from 2006 and 2007 as well.
    I can maybe understand not having time for a new video, but new screenshots? It almost defies belief.

It is unbelievable. Well, to normal thinking individuals, that is.

I mean. This game is "FEATURE COMPLETE" according to Tasos. FEATURE COMPLETE!

Has been FULLY play tested by professionals, according to Aragon, Downtoearth, Friction and many, many others.

They go to a conference FIVE MONTHS from launch of their FEATURE COMPLETE game, and show old RENDERED, not official in-game play videos, and ONE & TWO YEAR OLD screenshots!

How on earth can anyone not scratch their head at this? How is it possible to defend this?

Ok, If they didn't have time to create a new video... well... maybe. BUT! They didn't bring NEW screenshots? HUH? We are talking about screenshots here guys!

If you were a clothing salesman, showing your latest Fall line to a potential buyer, would you bring screenshots of clothes from 2 years ago?

NO!

You would bring the LATEST & GREATEST you had! Any reasonable person would.

If you were showing your friends pictures of your children, would you PURPOSELY show them ONLY photos from 5 years ago?

NO!

You would show them the latest pictures you had! Any reasonable person would.

Reason gets thrown out the window when it comes to Darkfall.

Darkfall has a "strong" effect on the weak-minded.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by neonwire

I have great news everyone, GameWorldGr just posted today the latest exclusive video of DArkfall.

Fodford took aim with his new custom made shotgun. He had the nearest troll squarely in his sights. He grinned to himself as he slowly pulled the trigger.

......and the shotgun blew up in his face!

One of the best self-ownage posts ever

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236

This thread gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

/facepalm  ::shakes her head::

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

*shakes his head next to Teala*

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

I think most people acknowledge existence.  The debate is over the state and release of the game.  I'd really like to see some UI, but atleast we know that they are still tickin.  As far as those who believe there will be a release this year.....not happening.  Believe me, I wish it was true, but it just isn't possible.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Even if the game is not ready for release they would have release a new video. Why show a 1 year old? unless since then they have not make any progression, of they might have totally stop working.....

RIP Orc Choppa

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

On a "self pwn" scale of 1-10, I give the quoted post a 9.

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

WTF, that video is soooo old. Darkfall keeps playing the same thing saying it's new and it's not. If they do not get a big company with some green to back them up you will never see this game, period. Look at all the money AOC had and it still blows. I have been following Darkfall off and on and really like the ideas they have but I really don't see this game ever coming out and I think mmorpg.com needs to require that Darkfall provide some updated video's of actual gameplay or take them off these boards.

So if your one of those that want to reply to this with "dude you don't know what your saying and Darkfall is coming out, and it rocks or whatever" I say prove it, show me updated gameplay, show me a new video, show me something that hasn't been out here for more than two years, you can't do it, it's not there.

• TrollbaitTrollbait Member Posts: 9

can you link the post where Aventurine/Tasos say that video is new?

... didn't think so.

as usual the only lies and distortions in the Darkfall story come from the trolls on MMORPG.com.

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

It's a movie of someone playing a movie on a monitor.  WTF?

As soon as you see someone sitting at a keyboard playing in real time with a UI up...call me.  Mmmkay, thanks.

Originally posted by Thradar

As soon as you see someone sitting at a keyboard playing in real time with a UI up...call me.  Mmmkay, thanks.

what would that prove exactly? or are you seriously trying to suggest that all the screenshots and videos don't come from the actual game?  please do tell.

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949
    Originally posted by Trollbait

what would that prove exactly? or are you seriously trying to suggest that all the screenshots and videos don't come from the actual game?  please do tell.

All those scenes theoretically could just be scripted events spliced together in a slick looking movie.  I still have never seen anyone actually playing this game, nor have I seen a UI.

A movie is a movie.  Look at all the fake videos on the internet that people believe to be true.  Sure it may show elements of the games engine, but it doesn't mean anyone was actually playing it, or that things actually function like a playable game.  That's all I'm saying.  Yes, the video looks cool, and I try not to crap on games without a lot of evidence.  But a video of a video is nothing in my book.

All those scenes theoretically could just be scripted events spliced together in a slick looking movie.  I still have never seen anyone actually playing this game, nor have I seen a UI.

except you need to have a game engine in order to script anything...

A movie is a movie.  Look at all the fake videos on the internet that people believe to be true.  Sure it may show elements of the games engine, but it doesn't mean anyone was actually playing it, or that things actually function like a playable game.  That's all I'm saying.  Yes, the video looks cool, and I try not to crap on games without a lot of evidence.  But a video of a video is nothing in my book.

if you know how difficult it would be to work up something like those 6 darkfall videos from scratch in maya/3ds you'd realise how ridiculous this sounds. and for what? what could be the possible motive for anyone to spend 7+ years in a company trying to fake up 6 videos, 600+ screenshots... it doesn't make any sense.