Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall new info

13»

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Darkfall is optimized for both player versus player action and for massive battles.

Lists like this really crack me up, since no one has even seen the game played, pretty good stretch to say it contains such content.

Protect your home and expand your holdings as you build your empire. In Darkfall, clans struggle for supremacy and survival as they compete over land ownership, resources, and strategic objectives.

We will see what the struggle about when we actually see a beta happen.

Darkfall's combat system is well balanced and well thought out, and the action is real-time, fast paced, and exciting. You?re in the thick of the action, not merely observing it.

Again, no one has even seen the combat system in action, really a huge stretch to state any of that.

Apply strategy, tactics, logistics, and individual skill to defeat your opponents.

Fancy words, be real curious how they actually implement such, again waiting on a beta to actually see how they plan to do this.

Choose from a great variety of weapons, armors, hundreds of offensive and defensive spells, and special attacks.

Usually the first thing to go when deadlines are constantly missed is itemization.  Be a real stretch to think a lot of this will make it in at release.

Fight on horseback during a cavalry charge, participate in a naval battle, fight from vehicles and control siege and heavy weapons.

This one is a real stretch.  Adding in mounts is a big deal, especially with their small staff and then letting you fight from mounts.  I think it is safe to say if mounts even make it into release, fighting from them won't. As to ships and naval battles, they will be very lucky to even get ship transport into the game let alone any fighting with them.  Remember they do have a very small staff for a MMO, adding content like mounts and ships is a real resource hog.  Maybe in the future, but highly doubtful at release.

Your victories are documented for posterity and success is measurable, so you'll never have to wonder what really happened.

Again, no one has any clue how this will work or if it will be in game, as no one has seen the game in action

There are no safe zones in Darkfall. The only protection you can count on is your friends watching your back.

If the ffa pvp is without consequence, I can assure you this game will be a flop.  No game company has succeed in implementing such a system and lived to profit from it.  The population that will put up with such a system is miniscule even from the pvp audience.

So what we have is lots of wishes here and exactly zero substance.

Here is hoping they can at least release a game with even half the features on their list in the near future and you can bet that it won't release this year, that is a fact you can take to the bank.

• SoundbyteSoundbyte Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by Cabe2323

This is BS.  WAR hasn't lost 4/6 major quest RvR hub Cities.  It has lost 4/6 Capital Cities. 
    It had 33 Game zones.  So it lost 4/33 game zones.  It has 20/24 classes still in place.
    So it lost somewhere between 12%-16% of the game content.  Not 66% <Mod edit>

Plus it was stated that Mythic was adding extra keeps to make up for the lost Cities.  So there goes that portion of your complaint.

that's glossing over it a bit. the capital cities are the scene for the penultimate RVR battles, and the source of numerous quests and instances. it's a lot more than just "4 zones".

the argument that they are adding extra stuff doesn't make sense - if they have the resources, why the hell aren't they working to add back the capital cities instead of other crap? it doesn't really hold water.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Darkfall is optimized for both player versus player action and for massive battles.
    Lists like this really crack me up, since no one has even seen the game played, pretty good stretch to say it contains such content.

Protect your home and expand your holdings as you build your empire. In Darkfall, clans struggle for supremacy and survival as they compete over land ownership, resources, and strategic objectives.
    We will see what the struggle about when we actually see a beta happen.

Darkfall's combat system is well balanced and well thought out, and the action is real-time, fast paced, and exciting. You?re in the thick of the action, not merely observing it.
    Again, no one has even seen the combat system in action, really a huge stretch to state any of that.

Apply strategy, tactics, logistics, and individual skill to defeat your opponents.
    Fancy words, be real curious how they actually implement such, again waiting on a beta to actually see how they plan to do this.

Choose from a great variety of weapons, armors, hundreds of offensive and defensive spells, and special attacks.
    Usually the first thing to go when deadlines are constantly missed is itemization.  Be a real stretch to think a lot of this will make it in at release.

Fight on horseback during a cavalry charge, participate in a naval battle, fight from vehicles and control siege and heavy weapons.
    This one is a real stretch.  Adding in mounts is a big deal, especially with their small staff and then letting you fight from mounts.  I think it is safe to say if mounts even make it into release, fighting from them won't. As to ships and naval battles, they will be very lucky to even get ship transport into the game let alone any fighting with them.  Remember they do have a very small staff for a MMO, adding content like mounts and ships is a real resource hog.  Maybe in the future, but highly doubtful at release.

Your victories are documented for posterity and success is measurable, so you'll never have to wonder what really happened.
    Again, no one has any clue how this will work or if it will be in game, as no one has seen the game in action

There are no safe zones in Darkfall. The only protection you can count on is your friends watching your back.
    If the ffa pvp is without consequence, I can assure you this game will be a flop.  No game company has succeed in implementing such a system and lived to profit from it.  The population that will put up with such a system is miniscule even from the pvp audience.
    So what we have is lots of wishes here and exactly zero substance.
    Here is hoping they can at least release a game with even half the features on their list in the near future and you can bet that it won't release this year, that is a fact you can take to the bank.

<Mod edit> all of the stuff mentioned in the FAQ is demonstrated in the released videos. maybe you should try watching them? combat, mounts, mounted combat, ships, and naval combat are all abundantly evident.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

Originally posted by Soundbyte

This is BS.  WAR hasn't lost 4/6 major quest RvR hub Cities.  It has lost 4/6 Capital Cities. 
    It had 33 Game zones.  So it lost 4/33 game zones.  It has 20/24 classes still in place.
    So it lost somewhere between 12%-16% of the game content.  Not 66% <Mod edit>

Plus it was stated that Mythic was adding extra keeps to make up for the lost Cities.  So there goes that portion of your complaint.

that's glossing over it a bit. the capital cities are the scene for the penultimate RVR battles, and the source of numerous quests and instances. it's a lot more than just "4 zones".

the argument that they are adding extra stuff doesn't make sense - if they have the resources, why the hell aren't they working to add back the capital cities instead of other crap? it doesn't really hold water.

Mythic and Mark Jacobs have been making games like these for Years.  Longer then pretty much any other MMO designer.  (They made old MMO like games for the AOL game servers). 

Mark Jacobs said he won't release content that isn't great.  So in order to make the Capital Cities GREAT they are polishing them up more.  They couldn't make 6 GREAT ones and would rather have 2 GREAT ones instead of 6 mediocre ones.  I would think fans of the genre would be happy. 
    They are adding some Keeps supposedly to basically be place holders for RvR.  WAR has keeps and Capital cities for RvR purposes.  AS you know from playing DAoC Keeps are a lot easier to design and implement then a Capital City.  Compare any of the capturable Keeps to TNN and you have a good idea. 
    Now think of TNN with even more content (Dungeons in the City, more quests, more stuff, etc) and it being capturable and you have an idea of what they are going for with Capital Cities. 
    They want it to be Great and not half ass. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

look Cabe i respect quality over hype 100%. my criticism is less focused on War but more on the people who would bash Darkfall in one thread, then post unreasonably positive stuff about War in other posts.

as for mythic, they only have 1 released game - DAOC.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Evasia

Only ones who hype darkfall are trolls, aint that a joke:P

Free advertisement by faporware whiners and all who hate darkfall.
    Its comming to a PC near you and will shake the foundation of mmo world:)

"Its coming to a PC near you and will shake the foundation of mmo world"

Umm yep thats deffinently not hype is it? By the way I remember a DF fanbois posting almost the exact same thing last September. Please do post more "Darkfall its coming!" threads it just makes you look all the more silly when something as simple the video thats been promised for the last 3 months is put off once more.

Really if they can't even put together a video of the game in 3 months whats the chance of them finishing beta, publishing, releasing, launching, and more in only 5 months?

DF Fanbois the ultimate masters of Hype?!

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

look Cabe i respect quality over hype 100%. my criticism is less focused on War but more on the people who would bash Darkfall in one thread, then post unreasonably positive stuff about War in other posts.

Once again you are posting untrue information.  If you are going to speak about a subject at least take the time to research it.  Don't just assume you are correct: (They have over 20 years of experience making games) 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Mythic

List of Games

• Dragon's Gate (1985)
    • Tempest (1991)
    • Castles II Online (1996)
    • Rolemaster: Magestorm (1996)
    • Splatterball (1996)
    • Invasion Earth (1997)
    • Darkness Falls (1997)
    • Rolemaster: Bladelands (1997)
    • Aliens Online (1998)
    • Starship Troopers: Battlespace (1998)
    • Godzilla Online (1998)
    • Silent Death: Online (1999)
    • Darkness Falls: The Crusade (1999)
    • Darkstorm: The Well of Souls (1999)
    • Spellbinder: The Nexus Conflict (1999)
    • Independence Day Online (2000)
    • Dark Age of Camelot (2001)
    • Imperator Online (Canceled 2005)
    • Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (projected for 2008)
    • AO Game (coming soon)

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

Once again you are posting untrue information.  If you are going to speak about a subject at least take the time to research it.  Don't just assume you are correct: (They have over 20 years of experience making games) 

List of Games

• Dragon's Gate (1985)
    • Tempest (1991)
    • Splatterball (1996)
    • Invasion Earth (1997)
    • Darkness Falls (1997)
    • Aliens Online (1998)
    • Godzilla Online (1998)
    • AO Game (coming soon)

Sorry i should have said only successful game was DAOC. my bad.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by zaxtor99

Soundbyte, don't be ridiculous.
    Comparing Darkfall to a game that has already released like "Age of Conan" and slamming Age of Conan vs Darkfall is beyond utter ignorance.
    Have you even played Age of Conan? Do you even have a good enough computer to play it? I have played Age of Conan at its launch and it ran VERY smoothly for a newly launched game. Not only that, but the game ran very smoothly. I didn't crash or lag at all in over 100 hours of gaming its first two weeks of release. There were a few bugs here and there, but most of those bugs were quickly fixed.

Sorry, but you're one of the few here. When Vanguard launched I had GREAT FPS on just an average machine! I only ran into like, 4 bugged quests. Didn't change the fact that other people had a horrible time. The game in beta was miserable to run, then the miracle patch came out, and all was fine for a little bit. But with every patch more and more problems occured, and it became more and more unplayable.

• YatenkaiohuYatenkaiohu Member Posts: 78

List of Games

• Dragon's Gate (1985)
    • Tempest (1991)
    • Splatterball (1996)
    • Invasion Earth (1997)
    • Darkness Falls (1997)
    • Aliens Online (1998)
    • Godzilla Online (1998)
    • AO Game (coming soon)

Lol. I still respect Mythic for making one of my favorite MMORPGS though :)

Anyways what's will all the trolling against Darkfall? I realize they have made broken promises and all that shit, but would you rather have a game thats released unfinished, or a game that's whole and complete. I for one am sick of every mmorpg being released in current times. Age of Conan was alright, but it felt buggy for me. So what if they miss their selected date of 2008? Maybe they just said they'd release in 2008 to shut the fanboys up.

Anyways I'm really praying Darkfall comes out (yeah I know that's probably sad). Ever since DAOC I haven't been able to play a game that recreates the environment of capturing castles. In Darkfall you'll be able to capture cities! That sounds AMAZING, why would that be too good to be true? The features of Darkfall aren't really that hard to plant in a game if you take the time ( 7 years o_O? ). Don't compare Darkfall to "Dark and Light". We all know what assholes the French are =/

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

List of Games

• Dragon's Gate (1985)
    • Tempest (1991)
    • Splatterball (1996)
    • Invasion Earth (1997)
    • Darkness Falls (1997)
    • Aliens Online (1998)
    • Godzilla Online (1998)
    • AO Game (coming soon)

Quite a few of those games were successful by the way.. Matter of fact Mythic was the main reason Gamestorm had subscribers back then.. Magestorm , Aliens Online , Silent Death Online , Darkness Falls were all very great games ( their other games were also good but not as popular ). After that they had their own gaming service that was nice until they started work on DAoC which caused that service to lose all support and that made people leave.

But dont fool yourself into thinking DAoC was the only successful game Mythic has made. Also remember these games were before or right at the start of MMORPGs.

• SilvarchSilvarch Member Posts: 233

List of Games

• Dragon's Gate (1985)
    • Tempest (1991)
    • Splatterball (1996)
    • Invasion Earth (1997)
    • Darkness Falls (1997)
    • Aliens Online (1998)
    • Godzilla Online (1998)
    • AO Game (coming soon)

Ignorance speaking. Their numerous previous games were successful, just not at the same scale as DAoC, and they had experience with online games even before the company was formed.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by gillvane1

Originally posted by 123123456202

if this game gives its promises it will be the most amazing game ever....its hype would shoot out the roof if they were at e3 with a playable demo. 

Then why weren't they at E3 with a playable demo? The link in the OP says the game is finished, and they are just fixing bugs, playtesting (where's the open beta?) and looking for a publisher.

If you really were looking for a publisher, wouldn't you be at E3?

E3 is about 4 things: microsoft, nintendo, sony and console games. It's a waste of time if you're not into one of those 4 things, which is why Blizzard, Valve, ID, etc don't bother going either.

That's hilarious, since Jagex happens to be there with Runescape for cryin' out loud. You need to reach a little deeper next time.

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

It's actually sort of true.  A bunch of studios have passed on it this year, and, AGAIN, people in the industry and saying this should be the last year.  Activision, Vivendi, Crave Entertainment, LucasArt, ID and others have all left the ESA, which mostly leaves Microsoft, Disney studios and Nintendo.

This doesn't mean I'm agreeing that Darkfall is every being released.  I don't.  I stopped thinking that ages ago.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Signe

It's actually sort of true.  A bunch of studios have passed on it this year, and, AGAIN, people in the industry and saying this should be the last year.  Activision, Vivendi, Crave Entertainment, LucasArt, ID and others have all left the ESA, which mostly leaves Microsoft, Disney studios and Nintendo.
    This doesn't mean I'm agreeing that Darkfall is every being released.  I don't.  I stopped thinking that ages ago.

That's just it, though. Yes, E3 has become a showcase of the giants over the years, and I was surprised they even had one after disbanding it a few years ago. But the thing is, especially with alot of the biggies not being there, this would have been the perfect year for indy developers to show there shit. Not just Aventurine and Darkfall but EVERY indy dev would have had the chance to get a good spotlight on them. Even without all those others attending, E3 is still getting major coverage the same as it always does.

• SynEaterSynEater Member Posts: 63

Well not to bash Darkfall or any other game really but you can't say a game is gonna be great until you play it.

Simple really isn't it?

talking about DF right now when there is no beta out there yet and with it promising so much with a smaller development team we might not get all they promise. We might as well discuss how awesome KOTOR will be or wont be...or if KoToR will be released first, Until there is a Beta you can't compare a non existant game to something like AoC which for better or worse is released.

Now to bash DF a bit

All in good fun