Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Economy? No PvP? Not playing.

DominisiDominisi Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 95

I was recently reading one of the Q&As on this game. From what I've collected its going to be a story driven MMO with limited PvP and almost no economy. I even read that they were concidering not even adding a monitary system to the game.

I really need to find a Sandbox MMO with a player driven economy and good pvp.

Guess SGW wont be it.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Dominisi

I was recently reading one of the Q&As on this game. From what I've collected its going to be a story driven MMO with limited PvP and almost no economy. I even read that they were concidering not even adding a monitary system to the game.
    Guess SGW wont be it.

Great! then i won't see you in the game.

Story driven MMO with limited PvP is exactly what I am looking for.

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

Even the singleplayer-like coop rpg linear style mmo players deserve their own game :D

• BlakeySGVBlakeySGV Member Posts: 106

Not sure what Q&A was read, and how you got so misinformed, but you have things pretty mixed up.

There will be PvP at launch. There'll be duelling allowed, and there'll be PvP everywhere servers.

As well, much more PvP is planned for after launch, but they're wanting to make sure that what does get added is done right and fits into the story arcs.

As for a limited economy, I don't recall that ever being said anywhere. I do know that not much info has been released about it, but there is going to be an economy.

• kingbloopkingbloop Member Posts: 180
    Originally posted by BlakeySGV

Not sure what Q&A was read, and how you got so misinformed, but you have things pretty mixed up.
    There will be PvP at launch. There'll be duelling allowed, and there'll be PvP everywhere servers.
     As well, much more PvP is planned for after launch, but they're wanting to make sure that what does get added is done right and fits into the story arcs.
    As for a limited economy, I don't recall that ever being said anywhere. I do know that not much info has been released about it, but there is going to be an economy.

he always beats me to these kind of threads.

i just realized that soon SGW is going to be getting a buttload of WoW/AoC/WAR trolls saying how this game blows etc etc. oh well, if they wanna be so narrow minded and not want to try a game with amazing potental as SGW then they are just as dumb as 90% of people think trolls are.

• megaflux19megaflux19 Member Posts: 99

maybe they are thinking of leaving out money to eliminate the effing gold spammers!

i know that would cut the potential client base by like 50% since alot of people MUST be buying gold or they would give up on selling it. i think it is 1 of the bravest things any game can do! kill the gold spammers, kill the power levelers, and kill the account sellers, and the botters by ANY means nessesary !

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

1. Kill the gold farmers.

2. Kill the power levelers.

3. Kill the account sellers.

4. ???

5. Profit.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• darc21darc21 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Guess SGW wont be it.

If yur loking for a story driven mmo with limited PvP, have you tried LOTRO? Fits that description completely. Give it a trail, if u havent already.

WAR looks AWESOME!

Give Blood....Play Rugby!

• DominisiDominisi Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 95

I wish I could find the link for you that says that there won't be a player driven economy because it doesn't fit the story arc.

It just seems pointless to me. If your gonna make a story driven, limited PvP game, make it single player and don't waste your resources on the multiplayer aspect.

I'm not trolling the game, I think that It will have a good story line - hell - I'll probably play it for that, but it has SO much potential as a sandbox game.

Oh well.

/pray for KOTOR online to be sandbox

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

KOTOR Online isn't a sandbox MMO, go read the interviews from BioWare Austin on their MMO.

If you want sandbox, look towards Earthrise, but that's no reason to troll around complaining about other MMOs, plenty of people like linear gameplay and they deserve to have a good sci-fi game like that just as much as we deserve a new sandbox.

• qazqaz123qazqaz123 Member Posts: 123

I dont know how many of you ppl out there, has been playing eve-online or is playing it currently.

But look at the economy.. yes the farmers is there - yes you can buy cheap isk. But the market is NOT totaly over inflated.

PPL getting cought buying isk gets to pay with it not by getting banned to begin with.. but a good big fat MINUS on the amount the recived :P later on they  might get banned if they do the same offence ..

Eve is a good examble on - farmers can be dealt with !

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

I will try the game and see how it is. Hopefully, it is something fresh from the tiresome array of fantasy titles. And I do not keep a list of things that a game must have in order for me to play it. In fact, I enjoy many different type of games even within the MMO genre.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• DaysyDaysy Member Posts: 6

Although I much prefer a linear story line, as long as there is a story, I'm interested. Although I don't like PvP at all, as long as it's contained somewhere and I'm not being ganked while questing, I'm interested. What "limited economy" means remains to be seen. Vanguard has a limited economy (only 15 items allowed on the broker) and that seems to work. If, as someone suggested, there is no currency at all, one will probably be invented.

From the little information available at the moment, I've seen quite a bit that I find interesting, and nothing so off-putting that I don't want to try it.

What I say is my opinion - you go get your own!

• verndvernd Member Posts: 600

There will be an economy, but it's not going to be a deep sandbox style "everything in the world is made by players" implementation. There will be currency (naquadah chips), there will be crafting (somewhere between WoW and SWG in complexity), there will be loot, there will be gathered resources, there will be a centralized Auction House and mail for trade and transfer of goods.  Those are all functions of an economy, are they not?

If someone is looking for a sci-fi PVP sandbox then they need to go look at Earthrise.  That has never been the intent with SGW and it never will be, and no point pretending otherwise. However it will have PVP at launch and later on in one of the episodic content updates it will receive full treatment, giving PVP context and objectives within the game world.

http://www.stargateworldswiki.com/wiki/Main_Page has a lot of good info on what's actually going on with the game.

• HadrianHadrian Member Posts: 14

i'm pretty much burned out on the linear, story-driven game.  the stories never really interest me enough to make the linear part appealing.  so for me, once i cap, the game is over and it's time to uninstall.

information about the game is really limited.  unless i see a vidoe, i do not believe a feature is in the game.  even then, it can still be pulled before release.

based on what we have seen, it's difficult to tell what the game will really be like at release.  

• madmunkmadmunk Member Posts: 17

check out Fallen Earth for a post-apocalyptic sandbox MMO

it finally went into Alpha

• ShinJezusShinJezus Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by kingbloop

i just realized that soon SGW is going to be getting a buttload of WoW/AoC/WAR trolls saying how this game blows etc etc. oh well, if they wanna be so narrow minded and not want to try a game with amazing potental as SGW then they are just as dumb as 90% of people think trolls are.

Let me be the first to say this game will blow.  WOW rules!

• Naraku430Naraku430 Member Posts: 11

lol how did this go from economy and pvp to sandbox or linear?  Anyways I agree that this has much potential for being sandbox but there are so many sandbox MMOs already and i'd much rather prefer a linear game. 

• DevrosDevros Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by randomt

Even the singleplayer-like coop rpg linear style mmo players deserve their own game :D

Yes, and Guildwars is probably the best single-like coop rpg linear style mmos around :) Although the story bites large.

No idea what to expect from SGW, it kind of came out of nowhere, I guess based on the success of the TV show?

www.TXcomics.com "Your daily webcomics broadcast"

• talideriantaliderian Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Naraku430

lol how did this go from economy and pvp to sandbox or linear?  Anyways I agree that this has much potential for being sandbox but there are so many sandbox MMOs already and i'd much rather prefer a linear game. 

You obviously have no idea what "sandbox" means...

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by taliderian

Originally posted by Naraku430

You obviously have no idea what "sandbox" means...

I was thinking the same thing...

Maybe he meant, there are so many games that should be sandbox but aren't...

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Guess SGW wont be it.

Uh, dude, there is going to be an economy, it's going to be based on naqueta (or however you spell it).; There will also be PvP and from what I can tell a pretty good amount of it. There are two factions for a reason... Where did you read otherwise?

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

To the topic, the information I have read leads me to believe SGW will be fairly typical, almost LOTR crossed with Tabula Rasa at launch.  At this point, since I didn't really like those two games, I am just hoping they take the good from both those games and add to them for something that people can enjoy and hold their interest.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by ShinJezus

Originally posted by kingbloop

Let me be the first to say this game will blow.  WOW rules!

Let me say in response that you should stick with WoWeaksauce. Have a good day.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by darc21

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Guess SGW wont be it.

If yur loking for a story driven mmo with limited PvP, have you tried LOTRO? Fits that description completely. Give it a trail, if u havent already.

I did. LOTRO is pretty good although i am dying to get a change to sci-fi settings.