Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom's customer support failure.

DominisiDominisi Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 95

Tonight started off pretty good, all of my guildies excited about the new patch went to try sieging again. We completley owned the opposing guild, however when we got to the Keep our siege equipment only hit it about twice, and then stopped working. Following this we procedeed to petition the GMs letting them know, and seeing if they could do anything about it. The GM started the conversation wtih "what do you want from me?" and it was followed by the GM being very rude,  my guild master got upset, and started bitching at the GM and then getting banned.

FunCom - Failed.

Comments

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

What do you expect a GM to do? Seriously, they cannot fix a bug with the game.. they are not software developers. Thats why he said "what do you want me to do?" As for your guild leader getting banned, its dumb to argue over something that cannot be dealt with at that moment.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• HamrtimeHamrtime Member Posts: 200

Originally posted by MaGicBush
    What do you expect a GM to do? Seriously, they cannot fix a bug with the game.. they are not software developers. Thats why he said "what do you want me to do?" As for your guild leader getting banned, its dumb to argue over something that cannot be dealt with at that moment.

Lol....are you serious?

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

That's what I hate the most about this game. It's bad enough there's bugs. You'd think part of a GM's reason to exist is to provide work arounds, but nope, just about all they're allowed to do is help with Destiny Quests which account for 1% of time spent in the game; if that much.

P.S. Verbal abuse should result in suspension. Continuing PMs after the GM closes an issue is only interrupting the next person's alotted time to complain and not receive help.

• jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355

Well the game is still in beta. I just hope all these bugs are fixed before it go's gold.

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563

Of course they can't fix the bug, but they could at least offer some info or an eta on the fix. Hell, even a generic "Sorry, I can't help you with that. Is there anything else I can help you with today?" message would make him look more professional. "What do you want me to do?" is a little pathetic.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Isn't that funny? Because in AO, before all the support people went to AoC, if there was a broken quest or other type of bug, the GM would take a look and then respawn the quest mob/item or just give you the item. And if it was something out of his/her control he let you know POLITELY, not "what do you want me to do?" GMs have alot more power than what you think. It's just dependent on what FC allows them to do, and also on whether or not the GM is a total asshat, which I have seen quite a few of those brought to light in the past few months this game has been around.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Keeping in mind, rarely is the whole story told in a thread like this.  For all we know, the GM did respond in a polite manner previously and only gave the rude reply after continued whining by the offending Guild leader who continued with a tirade long past the point of being reasonable.

Not saying I know that's what happened, but its within the realm of possibility

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

are you kidding? A GM gets paid to fix and report a bug with the game. I know you love the game, but you're reaching out there. A GM is SUPPOSE to address these issue, try to help and if they cannot, then they tell the PAID subscriber that they will forward this to a developer ASAP.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Keeping in mind, rarely is the whole story told in a thread like this.  For all we know, the GM did respond in a polite manner previously and only gave the rude reply after continued whining by the offending Guild leader who continued with a tirade long past the point of being reasonable.

100% agree but from the screenshots of a couple GMs with funcom it wont be suprising that this really happened.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'm sorry, did you say Funcom's customer support? I don't recognize that as an in game feature in AoC, perhaps you're thinking of another game.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by jybgess

Well the game is still in beta. I just hope all these bugs are fixed before it go's gold.

Lol

Well depending on what power the devs give the GM's, they may not be able to help the guild with a problem such as this. Sounds like your guild master should have kept his cool - as some things simply cannot be helped at the moment. This isnt really a customer support failure, but yet again, a developers failure. It always goes back to the developers. Had they kept the game in beta a couple more months, AoC may not be the mess that it is at the moment.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Yup agree and also I notice'd that is if OP's profile that OP is still very young. Doesn't always have to mean anything, but unfortunaly when reading forums like this it does show that certain younger people have a strange way of understanding things, again I am not saying just because OP is young, just saying often younger people will understand things very different then what or how something is meant.

• DominisiDominisi Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 95

No No NO, you mis understand. He asked "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME"  not what do you want me to do. And this was before our GM even EXPLAINED the situation. And they have been known to do things, for example another guild on our sever, the ENTIRE guild got free Epic mounts AND training because of the issues they were having with the guild city. We just wanted fair treatment.

Originally posted by Reklaw

Yup agree and also I notice'd that is if OP's profile that OP is still very young. Doesn't always have to mean anything, but unfortunaly when reading forums like this it does show that certain younger people have a strange way of understanding things, again I am not saying just because OP is young, just saying often younger people will understand things very different then what or how something is meant.

Wait? Your saying just because I'm only twenty that I must have misunderstood what the GM was saying? What kind of shit is that? I happen to have a bachelors degree and I'm an intelligence analysis for the USMC. I know what the GM said to my guild leader, and it was very far out of line. They're was not a polite first response. The GM opened the conversation (of course after the scripted "Good afternoon sir my name is GM XXXXX" he typed, before my GL could type anything, "What do you want?"

My GL then followed on by saying, "Can you help me with an issue we had with the siege tonight?" The GM then responded to that by saying "Thats why I'm whispering you, isn't it?" He then continued to be very unperfessional while my GL was explaining the problem. The GM said "I cannot do anything about it, and if you are going to complain about the game, please send an email to [email protected], do not petition me."  It escilated from there, starting with the GM being even more so rude to the GL, and finally the GL poped and started typing obsenities to the GM.

He was banned after the close of the ticket.

All of your sterotypical comments asside about my age - I know what happened and I do not believe that the FunCom customer service team knows how to handle the problems that are being thrown at them and revert to just acting rude and very unhelpful.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Dominisi

Wait? Your saying just because I'm only twenty that I must have misunderstood what the GM was saying? What kind of shit is that? I happen to have a bachelors degree and I'm an intelligence analysis for the USMC. I know what the GM said to my guild leader, and it was very far out of line. They're was not a polite first response. The GM opened the conversation (of course after the scripted "Good afternoon sir my name is GM XXXXX" he typed, before my GL could type anything, "What do you want?"

My GL then followed on by saying, "Can you help me with an issue we had with the siege tonight?" The GM then responded to that by saying "Thats why I'm whispering you, isn't it?" He then continued to be very unperfessional while my GL was explaining the problem. The GM said "I cannot do anything about it, and if you are going to complain about the game, please send an email to [email protected], do not petition me."  It escilated from there, starting with the GM being even more so rude to the GL, and finally the GL poped and started typing obsenities to the GM.

All of your sterotypical comments asside about my age - I know what happened and I do not believe that the FunCom customer service team knows how to handle the problems that are being thrown at them and revert to just acting rude and very unhelpful.

And yet you respond excactly as I said, often younger people understand things very different then what or how something is meant. And if you actualy had read it you saw i used the word "OFTEN" which doesn't mean each and every person all the thing. And your reaction only proved what I said.

Anyway if that GM was indeed that far out of line I really hope you made some screenshots or have a chatlog bring that before funcom.

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

No I agree, they do need to report the issue.. but seriously what can he do about that exact issue? Start the siege over, or what? That was what I was getting at, and as another poster said this is most likely not the entire truth to the situation. I have had a few brief contacts with GM's, I got stuck once and another time a quest broke. Both of them seemed professional to me, and even if this GM that banned your leader was out of line it does not mean a thing towards funcom or the "Paying player." That GM is a person doing a job, thats like saying the guy next to me at work getting rude with a customer because the previous customer cussed him out and then blaiming HP for it.

And hence Whispered , how do you know what was whispered to your guild leader and the guy is not making stuff up because he was banned and mad?

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643

Tonight started off pretty good, all of my guildies excited about the new patch went to try sieging again. We completley owned the opposing guild, however when we got to the Keep our siege equipment only hit it about twice, and then stopped working. Following this we procedeed to petition the GMs letting them know, and seeing if they could do anything about it. The GM started the conversation wtih "what do you want from me?" and it was followed by the GM being very rude,  my guild master got upset, and started bitching at the GM and then getting banned.
    FunCom - Failed.

Sounds like your guild leader got what he deserved. Honestly, FC right now is more concerned with helping people who are setting up new accounts or those with completely legitimate game-breaking problems. Im sorry that you guys chose to play the game 24/7 knowing full well that it wasn't polished yet. Rushing content, you honestly got what you deserved. I am glad that funcom ISN'T really rushing to give the end-gamers content because the vast majority of the people( ones with lives) aren't even near that mark yet. You make up a very small portion of it's population base and just because a group of people decide to ignore real life completey, doesn't give you the right to mouth off to someone who is at their job, trying to do what they can. A GM CANNOT instantly fix a patch bug, lol people like this are fools for thinking that.

General rule of life, if you start with an attitude you will get attitude back :) I am pretty sure you guys were the ones who initiated the "attitude" knowing how hardcore gamers act.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

That could be, but in fact it's still not justified.

I have started my working career as a mobile SP customer service rep. A person working in customer service can *never* be rude to the customer. If he/she gets abuse from said customer, the conversation can be politely closed. That's the *furthest* a GM or any customer service person can do.

"what do you want from me" was already over the thin red line....

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

No I agree, they do need to report the issue.. but seriously what can he do about that exact issue? Start the siege over, or what? That was what I was getting at, and as another poster said this is most likely not the entire truth to the situation. I have had a few brief contacts with GM's, I got stuck once and another time a quest broke. Both of them seemed professional to me, and even if this GM that banned your leader was out of line it does not mean a thing towards funcom or the "Paying player." That GM is a person doing a job, thats like saying the guy next to me at work getting rude with a customer because the previous customer cussed him out and then blaiming HP for it.

And hence Whispered , how do you know what was whispered to your guild leader and the guy is not making stuff up because he was banned and mad?

I have read your profile and realized that you're onyl 21. As someone said here, " often younger people understand things very different then what or how something is meant.".

(it's up for all to decide who's been clever here - not me, for sure :)

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Surprised the OP had a chance to correspond with a GM in AoC.  Essentially, if you're not facing a problem with the central Destiny Quest line, then you're not getting help whatsoever.

You'll be waiting in line on your ticket / petition for hours upon hours upon hours upon hours.  If you're on when they talk to you, and you're not on a Destiny Quest, then they say they can't help you and close the ticket.  They'll close it in less than 1 minute once they "get to you" while you've waited for multiple hours for the chance.

OR, if you're not online at the time, they summarily close your ticket out.

At least in SWG and SOE's incompetent staff, even if you're not online, they would look into your problem and try to fix it, sending a message for you to see when you check your in-game e-mail.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

And yet you respond excactly as I said, often younger people understand things very different then what or how something is meant. And if you actualy had read it you saw i used the word "OFTEN" which doesn't mean each and every person all the thing. And your reaction only proved what I said.

Anyway if that GM was indeed that far out of line I really hope you made some screenshots or have a chatlog bring that before funcom.

I do have them. And I responded in a very civil manner. You putting the bait out there for me to respond to was far less mature than me responding trying to defend myself.

And in case you haven't noticed, its is VERY easy to get to 80.  Should the fact that some people play faster and more than others be an excuse as to why the game was released half-assed? That they only care about people leveling while its the people who get to 80, figure out there is nothing to do, and then quit. While *I* was leveling I hear everybody else complaining and I didn't care cause I was having fun leveling, now that I"m here. I know why its so broken.

• johnnychangsjohnnychangs Member UncommonPosts: 261

The main problem is that most of Funcom's "GMs" are actually volunteer non-paid players.  They record your issue and forward it to someone who can actually do something about it.  Usually, said "develepor" is in Europe, and if you are in the US, that means no instant support.  If you're in Europe, that also means a long wait to get a response, if you are lucky.

This was an issue I had with Anarchy Online, and Funcom seems to be using the same Customer Support plan in Age of Conan.

I don't know about the next guy, but if I have a problem with a product I am paying for, I absolutely do not want to talk to "just another guy/girl" about my issue.  I want to talk to a paid employee who can actually help me rather than someone who just takes notes in their free time.