Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still vaporware? E3 presence?

Comments

• SilvarchSilvarch Member Posts: 233

By me?

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

not talking for your posts in particular

• chokepointchokepoint Member Posts: 160
    Originally posted by Silvarch

Originally posted by SignusM

"The company BUSINESS AND SOUND EIKONOS SA announces training Memorandum of Cooperation with the company AVENTURINE SA, with the sole purpose of printing, distribution and operation of online games subscriber (on line gaming) in all countries of Europe. To this end, the SOUND AND BUSINESS EIKONOS AU will create a new section Gaming Division paying royalties to the above beneficiary than 35% of sales. By exploiting the online games subscriber BUSINESS AND SOUND EIKONOS SA (AVE) estimates that avoids the loss of revenue from any piracy in any form. "

Let's break this down. Sadly with an MoC, it can either be an outline of INTENT, or it can be legally binding, depending on what is outlined in the exact business statement. None of us have access to that. So, I suppose that's left to speculation.
    Next part, pretty clear " sole purpose of printing, distribution and operation of online games subscriber (on line gaming) in all countries of Europe"  A publisher. They'll be advertising and selling the game to all countries in Europe. 

Here's the interesting one. "EIKONOS AU will create a new section Gaming Division paying royalties to the above beneficiary than 35% of sales. By exploiting the online games subscriber BUSINESS AND SOUND EIKONOS SA (AVE) estimates that avoids the loss of revenue from any piracy in any form. "
    Ok, with this, two things I want to point out. The company is planning to create an entire new division for video games (they've previously only dealt with other kind of media). This is a pretty serious deal, considering and announcing it will have an impact on their stock, so they wouldn't just do this on a whim, and it also means they're fairly confident they'll be able to make money out of the deal.
    The second bit, it that it reassures its investors that there's no danger of piracy. They're talking directly to their stock holders here. Again, they wouldn't make that kind of announcement and then not do ANYTHING, because any active investors will watch this company's news feed and buy and sell accordingly. Creating a division for an entire new group of media, then telling the stock holders not to worry about it, they're just not "thinking about it if maybe it ever happens."
    That's my two cents anyway. I could be COMPLETELY wrong, but what I know about the business world, that is how I interpret it.

Alright, now that you've read, do you understand that while they are contemplating the creation of this new division (You forgot to copy and paste the "to that end" that links the two statements together), they have not announced any deals regarding the publishing of Darkfall Online? Nowhere does it say that they will be publishing Darkfall Online, or any games whatsoever.

OK, now you're starting to look stupid: it says "The company BUSINESS AND SOUND EIKONOS SA announces training Memorandum of Cooperation with the company AVENTURINE SA, with the sole purpose printing, distribution and operation of online games subscriber (online gaming) in all countries of Europe."

Highlighted for emphasis.

Reread the thread. SignusM and Galadourn understood and agreed with the gist of what I said, they were the intended audience.

Reread the thread. SignusM and Galadourn understood and agreed with the gist of what I said, they were the intended audience.

It's fine, just be careful of your wording.

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by COORS

Originally posted by Thomas2006

The only year Darkfall showed up at E3 they had nothing more then a booth to show of the game. There was no demo or anything other then some screenshots and paper info of the game.
    This year they didn't even bother to show up at E3. Doesn't much sound like a game that is anywhere near launch.

Nope, not vaporware. They have a European publisher/distributer. And old and well respected company that announced to its stock holders that it would be distributing the game, as law states they must. (gotta keep the investors in on whats going on)

So as of now (and I'm sick or repeating it, but something has to counter the years of idiodic trolls going "lol vaporz") they are not vaporware. I'm very surprised anyone believed they were, cause the evidence has always been there, people just chose to ignore it.

Now the only question is, what state is the game in? Will it deliver what it promised? Will it suck? Will it be amazing? We'll see soon, I hope. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

I agree that Darkfall is not total vaporware. There is actually some code there somewhere to be sure.

But.. They DON'T have a distributor. Not really. That was a ploy by Tasos to buy more time.

Are you KIDDING ME?! WHY would someone go to all this trouble. To buy time? You don't sign a publisher deal with a game that they haven't seen. They have a publisher, the publisher agreed to sell the game in Europe, they told their stock holders. How can you possibly fight this so hard?

Sorry.. I'm NOT fighting anything.

They DO NOT have a publisher, period. Please tell me what publisher OFFICIALLY announced they were ACTUALLY publishing Darkfall? Go ahead... tell me.

I have read NOTHING on the entire Internet announcing a publisher deal for Darkfall. Come on here. ALL gaming sites I visit have an UP-TO-DATE news section. I read about ALL kinds of things happening in the industry, even law suits and NEW game ideas.

But...

NOWHERE have I read a word about an OFFICIAL publisher for the game of Darkfall.

A reasonable person would ASSUME, that a VALID publishing deal would be at least announced and make the news sections of the various gaming sites, if nothing else.

A reasonable person would ALSO assume that an OFFICIAL publisher, of a game that's to be RELEASED in 5 months, would want some publicity. After all, publishers make a percentage of the sales profits. makes sense huh?

So.. tell me this.

Where is the OFFICIAL announcement?

And... I mean official publishing announcement for DARKFALL.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Sorry I'm not fighting anything.

Tell me what scientist OFFICIALLY has proven gravity exists. I mean, it's only a theory right? I read a lot of science magazines and NOWHERE have I seen anyone talking about how gravity DOESN'T EXIST, they just ASSUME it does.

A reasonable person would ASSUME, that a VALID  scientific proof would be at least announced and make the news sections of the various science magazines, if nothing else.

A reasonable person would ALSO assume that an OFFICIAL publication, of a theory that's to be EXPECTED to hold us to this Earth, would want some publicity. After all, science magazines make a percentage of the sales profits. makes sense huh?

So.. tell me this.

Where is the OFFICIAL publication?

And... I mean official publication that proves GRAVITY.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

The only year Darkfall showed up at E3 they had nothing more then a booth to show of the game. There was no demo or anything other then some screenshots and paper info of the game.
    This year they didn't even bother to show up at E3. Doesn't much sound like a game that is anywhere near launch.

Nope, not vaporware. They have a European publisher/distributer. And old and well respected company that announced to its stock holders that it would be distributing the game, as law states they must. (gotta keep the investors in on whats going on)

So as of now (and I'm sick or repeating it, but something has to counter the years of idiodic trolls going "lol vaporz") they are not vaporware. I'm very surprised anyone believed they were, cause the evidence has always been there, people just chose to ignore it.

Now the only question is, what state is the game in? Will it deliver what it promised? Will it suck? Will it be amazing? We'll see soon, I hope. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

I agree that Darkfall is not total vaporware. There is actually some code there somewhere to be sure.

But.. They DON'T have a distributor. Not really. That was a ploy by Tasos to buy more time.

Are you KIDDING ME?! WHY would someone go to all this trouble. To buy time? You don't sign a publisher deal with a game that they haven't seen. They have a publisher, the publisher agreed to sell the game in Europe, they told their stock holders. How can you possibly fight this so hard?

They DO NOT have a publisher, period. Please tell me what publisher OFFICIALLY announced they were ACTUALLY publishing Darkfall? Go ahead... tell me.

I have read NOTHING on the entire Internet announcing a publisher deal for Darkfall. Come on here. ALL gaming sites I visit have an UP-TO-DATE news section. I read about ALL kinds of things happening in the industry, even law suits and NEW game ideas.

But...

NOWHERE have I read a word about an OFFICIAL publisher for the game of Darkfall.

A reasonable person would ASSUME, that a VALID publishing deal would be at least announced and make the news sections of the various gaming sites, if nothing else.

A reasonable person would ALSO assume that an OFFICIAL publisher, of a game that's to be RELEASED in 5 months, would want some publicity. After all, publishers make a percentage of the sales profits. makes sense huh?

So.. tell me this.

You must be blind then. I'll make a nice little donation in your cup.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.audiovisual.gr/articles_list.asp?e_cat_serial=001001009002&e_cat_id=106&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=el&tl=en

Have a nice day. Read the whole thread before you go crazy with trolling next time.

• EbonHawkEbonHawk Member Posts: 545
    Originally posted by chokepoint

Tell me what scientist OFFICIALLY has proven gravity exists. I mean, it's only a theory right? I read a lot of science magazines and NOWHERE have I seen anyone talking about how gravity DOESN'T EXIST, they just ASSUME it does.
    A reasonable person would ASSUME, that a VALID  scientific proof would be at least announced and make the news sections of the various science magazines, if nothing else.
    A reasonable person would ALSO assume that an OFFICIAL publication, of a theory that's to be EXPECTED to hold us to this Earth, would want some publicity. After all, science magazines make a percentage of the sales profits. makes sense huh?
    So.. tell me this.
    And... I mean official publishing announcement for GRAVITY.

lol...

Is this what the fanbois arguments have come to?

Talk about reaching for straws...

It's fine, just be careful of your wording.

I'm glad I have your approval, it really means a lot to me. What about my wording or the things I was expressing did you find objectionable? Because the post you made just shows you didn't read the thread.

So.. tell me this.

We can all play gravity.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

So.. tell me this.

Who needs an official publication when I could just drop an anvil on your head and have proof in less than 30 seconds?

Some things are indeed self-evident.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

So.. tell me this.

There you go:

Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica by Sir Isaac Newton, first published July 5th 1687.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophiae_Naturalis_Principia_Mathematica

And they don't assume anything - it is experimentaly demonstrable and therefore true (after being shaved by Occam's razor that is) until proven otherwise through experimental data.

Don't mess with hard science man. Those guys are tougher than a jesuit defending his liquor cabinet.

• ddevddev Member Posts: 165

"The company BUSINESS AND SOUND EIKONOS SA announces training Memorandum of Cooperation with the company AVENTURINE SA, with the sole purpose of printing, distribution and operation of online games subscriber (on line gaming) in all countries of Europe. To this end, the SOUND AND BUSINESS EIKONOS AU will create a new section Gaming Division paying royalties to the above beneficiary than 35% of sales. By exploiting the online games subscriber BUSINESS AND SOUND EIKONOS SA (AVE) estimates that avoids the loss of revenue from any piracy in any form. "

Let's break this down. Sadly with an MoC, it can either be an outline of INTENT, or it can be legally binding, depending on what is outlined in the exact business statement. None of us have access to that. So, I suppose that's left to speculation.
    Next part, pretty clear " sole purpose of printing, distribution and operation of online games subscriber (on line gaming) in all countries of Europe"  A publisher. They'll be advertising and selling the game to all countries in Europe. 

Here's the interesting one. "EIKONOS AU will create a new section Gaming Division paying royalties to the above beneficiary than 35% of sales. By exploiting the online games subscriber BUSINESS AND SOUND EIKONOS SA (AVE) estimates that avoids the loss of revenue from any piracy in any form. "
    Ok, with this, two things I want to point out. The company is planning to create an entire new division for video games (they've previously only dealt with other kind of media). This is a pretty serious deal, considering and announcing it will have an impact on their stock, so they wouldn't just do this on a whim, and it also means they're fairly confident they'll be able to make money out of the deal.
    The second bit, it that it reassures its investors that there's no danger of piracy. They're talking directly to their stock holders here. Again, they wouldn't make that kind of announcement and then not do ANYTHING, because any active investors will watch this company's news feed and buy and sell accordingly. Creating a division for an entire new group of media, then telling the stock holders not to worry about it, they're just not "thinking about it if maybe it ever happens."
    That's my two cents anyway. I could be COMPLETELY wrong, but what I know about the business world, that is how I interpret it.

There are many ifs in that stockholders communication as you mention it.

The biggest problem here is, that its just another business plan in the end, which it might materialize or not, depending on many things. The most important of those of course are:

1. there has to be an actual product for them to distribute, which means that DF should elevate from vaporware status. Not very possible in my eyes, but one can believe in anything (even that Mars has aliens)

2. Even if in the end Aventurine releases DF in some kind of game, some kind of date, even then there is HUGE chance of failure.

I don't know when this MoU was formed, but if some of you want to drill further I am providing you with 2 links:

this is the Athens Stock Exchange link, where you can find AVE stock and check it with its announcement:

http://www.ase.gr/content/en/Companies/ListedCo/Profiles/Profile.asp?cid=1000

Finally this is the link of a site, where you will look at the stock's info further back in time (ASE dont keep records of more than a month's old)

http://english.capital.gr/q.asp?s=AVE&market=0&page=q.asp&catid=&x=0&y=0

As you can see, the supposed announcement did NOTHING in that stock. And the Market KNOWS... 

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by ddev

There are many ifs in that stockholders communication as you mention it.

The biggest problem here is, that its just another business plan in the end, which it might materialize or not, depending on many things. The most important of those of course are:

1. there has to be an actual product for them to distribute, which means that DF should elevate from vaporware status. Not very possible in my eyes, but one can believe in anything (even that Mars has aliens)

2. Even if in the end Aventurine releases DF in some kind of game, some kind of date, even then there is HUGE chance of failure.

I don't know when this MoU was formed, but if some of you want to drill further I am providing you with 2 links:

this is the Athens Stock Exchange link, where you can find AVE stock and check it with its announcement:

http://www.ase.gr/content/en/Companies/ListedCo/Profiles/Profile.asp?cid=1000

Finally this is the link of a site, where you will look at the stock's info further back in time (ASE dont keep records of more than a month's old)

http://english.capital.gr/q.asp?s=AVE&market=0&page=q.asp&catid=&x=0&y=0

As you can see, the supposed announcement did NOTHING in that stock. And the Market KNOWS... 

The MoU was announced about less than a month ago. An MoU has an equal chance of being a formally binding contract, and just a agreement of intent. We don't know unless we have an exact copy of the document that was written.

As for the market knowing, I do believe the company is question is large enough that news of signing on to another company isn't incredibly substancial, but who knows, the market certainly doesn't all the time :P (stock market crashes anyone?)

We'll see in time. As for you still holding on to the vaporware status, I don't think that can even be considered at this point. Signing an MoU is not something you do over coffee, the company would have had to see the game in detail before thinking about going into business with Aventurine.

The next few months will hopefully answer some questions.

I disagree. A MoU does not have "an equal chance of being a formally binding contract, and just a agreement of intent.". It is always an agreement of intent, and it's signed just for that purpose. No MoU is signed or written with the intention of being a formally binding contract, for that you don't use a MoU, but an actual contract. Whether it's legally enforceable or not is decided by the court, usually during a lawsuit over it, where even oral promises are sometimes taken as a legally enforceable agreement. But the fact that according to you it's open to interpretation whether it's a formally binding contract or just an agreement of intent should make you see that MoU would be never used as the former. If they wanted it to be a formally binding contract, they would have written and signed a formally binding contract, not an MoU. The court decides whether it would be legally enforceable as a formally binding contract or not, but their intentions are for it not to be, or it would be clear and not ambiguous or open to interpretation.

The MoU was announced about less than a month ago. An MoU has an equal chance of being a formally binding contract, and just a agreement of intent. We don't know unless we have an exact copy of the document that was written.
    As for the market knowing, I do believe the company is question is large enough that news of signing on to another company isn't incredibly substancial, but who knows, the market certainly doesn't all the time :P (stock market crashes anyone?)
    We'll see in time. As for you still holding on to the vaporware status, I don't think that can even be considered at this point. Signing an MoU is not something you do over coffee, the company would have had to see the game in detail before thinking about going into business with Aventurine.
    The next few months will hopefully answer some questions.

You need to check back with the terms you are using. Wikipedia is a nice start for you.

In detail:

MoU is nothing but a handshake and no handshake can be legally binding, especially in Greece. The only tough part for this particular MoU, is the fact that AVE had agreed on it, but it did so by negotiating the best terms on their side and the worst possible enough on Aventurine's

Markets DO know, thats a de facto. AVE is not the grand company one would like to believe, even in Greece's terms, much less for European ones. Let's just say it's a mid sized company and leave it to this. Stock markets do crash and this is indeed more evident when within an oil crisis, or crisis in general, but this is also the best time to prove your company is indeed in a development cycle. Take a look at aapl stock as an example... 

As for the assumptions that AVE should know before it cut the deal, well this works contrary as well, in that if AVE thought they had a winner in their hands, then they would at least try for a proper contract with binding legal terms.

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

So.. tell me this.

That deserves a sticky if anything on MMORPG.com ever did.    

Originally posted by JayBirdz

So.. tell me this.

OMG!!

The statement of the century! if not milenia!!

he too, should take a look at aapl 

• MortalStrikeMortalStrike Member Posts: 35

So.. tell me this.

OMG!!

Heh yeah was pretty good comeback.

• KroganKrogan Member UncommonPosts: 304

erm E3 is invite only, not more then 20 companies have gotten invited and your silly enough to think a small company like Aventurine will get invited? Come on get real.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Krogan

erm E3 is invite only, not more then 20 companies have gotten invited and your silly enough to think a small company like Aventurine will get invited? Come on get real.

They would have " forgot " their demo again anyways..

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Krogan

And a lot of companies that got invited didn't bother to attend.

The lineup also reflects the recently announced pullout of Activision and Vivendi from the ESA, a group dedicated to the business and public affairs needs of game developers and publishers.

Accordingly, the companies will not be exhibiting products at this year's summit. In addition to Activision and Vivendi, studios id Software, NCSoft, Codemasters, and Her Entertainment have also announced that they will pass on the conference.

As previously reported, LucasArts will indeed have a showing at this year's E3, despite the company's withdrawal as a member of the ESA last week.

www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52757

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by MortalStrike

So.. tell me this.

OMG!!

Heh yeah was pretty good comeback.

No, not really, it was really bad.

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353

But...

So.. tell me this.

You must be blind then. I'll make a nice little donation in your cup.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www.audiovisual.gr/articles_list.asp?e_cat_serial=001001009002&e_cat_id=106&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=el&tl=en

Have a nice day. Read the whole thread before you go crazy with trolling next time.

I'm blind?

Where do you READ the word Darkfall in any announcement? Show us?

Or maybe you want to subscribe to the MORONIC "gravity" response theory.

I'm still waiting.

Where is the OFFICIAL announcement for actually, in reality PUBLISHING the game of Darkfall?

Have a pleasant afternoon.