Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: E3: The Progress of WAR

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

While in attendance at E3, MMORPG.com Writer Carolyn Koh made an extended stop at the Mythic Entertainment's booth for a progress update and some hands on play time with Warhammer: Online Age of Reckoning.

Mythic Entertainment's Mark Jacobs recently shocked the Warhammer community by letting them know that they were cutting content before launch.  Six capital cities would be reduced to two and character careers would be reduced to 20.  Ten for each side of Order and Destruction.  Now that the dust has settled, Their booth in the EA appointment room was crowded with members of the media watching their E3 demo, and the demonstrators were quick to reassure that it was a good move for them.

We were given a quick tour of the Capital cities of Altdorf for Order with a dwarf showing off his mount, a dwarf copter and Inevitable City with a Magus on his disc.  

“We have dedicated a Cities Team,” said Content Director Destin Bales “and instead of being spread out among six different cities, they now are concentrating on two major cities and the dedication and polish shows.”

Read more here.

Comments

• lobotojalobotoja Member Posts: 7

So now they can launch another five extentions charging extortion for content that was missing from the first relise.... coud they not relise the whole thing at once take the bloody monthly fee and just make it look better relising a graphics update one and again. F"'232 for some people Warhammer is a sanctum mthey spend 10 or more years traweling in that etarnal universe wy make it a 5 year lifetime enterprise that will kil a great place to play roles, familiar but better looking environments might make it last. DONT KILL THE SPIRIT oF WARR!!!!

• RakerisRakeris Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by lobotoja

So now they can launch another five extentions charging extortion for content that was missing from the first relise.... coud they not relise the whole thing at once take the bloody monthly fee and just make it look better relising a graphics update one and again. F"'232 for some people Warhammer is a sanctum mthey spend 10 or more years traweling in that etarnal universe wy make it a 5 year lifetime enterprise that will kil a great place to play roles, familiar but better looking environments might make it last. DONT KILL THE SPIRIT oF WARR!!!!

What?!

----------------------
    If brute force isn't working, you are not using enough.
    Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Rakeris

What?!

Yeah lol, seriously what?

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

They're not charging extra for the missing cities this was said in an interview with several other websites. Do some research lobo before you go rambling incoherantly.  It also helps not to drink alcohol or do any drugs before you post.

The missing cities will be added in like Raids & Arena's were for WoW, Chapters for Lord of the Rings & DDO....Free. 

(doesn't mean they wont have paid expansions most games always have these lol)

• zippy123zippy123 Member Posts: 172

Sounds good, the worse part about this game is going to be trying to pick what class to start with! ahh!

• smiley123smiley123 Member UncommonPosts: 174

what??

• ajm563ajm563 Member Posts: 48

Ok, I'll be the first to say it....

Wall of unintelligable text crits for 10000 

• CendhariaCendharia Member UncommonPosts: 319

So obviously you didn't read the statements from Mr Jacobs himself when he announced the decision to cut 4 classes and cities for the time being?

He also stated that these missing parts would not be part of a "paid" expansion but rather free content added after release...if they can get the classes up to the quality that they want.

I realize it is more fun to naysay and state erroneous things...as negativity is 'cool" these days.....but in this case ..READING SKILLS are required. :P

So much for your extortion and conspiracy theory.

Cend

I`ll say more... a story, short one, none the less a message cariing medium. When we spent endless nights serching the outskirts of altdorf for forgotten towers or crawling in muck of the underground tunnels under Middenheim trying to find a silent way into the secret haos cultists underground cave to which we were pointed to by one of the unfriendly city officials in whose house we found a broshe identical to the one our last nights assasins caried... the office the life the everything that he might hawe lost thatnks to uor charismatic elfs singing of hiz dirty connections... we didnt even hawe to beat him up to get the map in his safe... What differ warhammer from ADND and all hack and slash "RPG" is the small difference in aquiring xp`s  they were awarded after the adventure and not for killing monsters, that mede a hell lot of difference and that way of thinking produced games like "baldurs gate" or fallout where the plot is at least of the same importance as the fighting. Balance is what made it fun. I DEAR to state the 90% of all MMORPG`S are just MMOH&S (hack&slash) its just a glorified diablo not a real RolePlaingGame, Yes it was about plaing roles, you were a brute Nord becouse you just smashed the cities officials chin not becouse you hawe a lvl 385 giga silverarmandillum composite axe... altho yours one was probably the same hugeness :).  What should be done is QUESTS should be added.  What is new... quest connected localisations... what is the point... Cooperation or cooperative plaing.  Coop quests that what im talking about. doing quests simultainiously.  When you hawe a gigantic open world what you need is localisations tied into quests dors after which only you and your company are present... are you starting to catch the drift. House interiors to sneak into make stealing of documents possible (not when you hawe 20 other players bechind you) Caves when entering just like that couse you been there wil gett you a couple of wolf pelts but following a quest path in the middle of night you will find a gathering of hooded figures. A move like that would add much needed suspence to the game. You could follow a trail of a assasin from a guild asking about in tawerns and get a friend to join you at any time filling him in on whats happening. The ammounts of quests could be enormous. The missconception of  good story being one that has a deffinitive ending is what seems to stop developers from creating a good story line of bigger and more entertaining histories, event, adventures or quests. Enough of go and kill 5 goblins and come and see me... altho helping peasants is cool at the beginning until you find out from the local baker or a smith that the barkeep has a collection of weird looking statues that he keeps trough the back. See, Localising separatly according to quests makes those things possible. Before you start a rant about how not real woud it make the game when you go into a cave next to someone you dont know but only you get in... go and hack some randomly popping our mutant hedgehogs and leave Warhammer alone. So please dear Mithic make warhammer a warhammer not another Hack&Slash.

Wall of text....unintelligible...try paragraphs,  commas Capitalizing first letters of sentences...and MOST of all put some danged spaces between sentences.   Ugh  I won't even comment on the spelling.

Cend

• RogueMasterRogueMaster Member UncommonPosts: 22

Laugh at the things you don`t understand,
    or fear them,
    Those are the ways of the simple mind`s

LOL  The irony here is epic.

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

Read more books and it will get a loot easier to follow more than one lliners. Read the text five times if you have trouble grasping... well you didn`t even read till the end once, did you... as i said stick to the - go there kill that - games if anything more complicated is beyond you. And the idea is real and feasible.

You see, books are divided into these things called "Chapters" with smaller little divisors called "paragraphs", each with their own flowing sentences which have a "capital letter" at the beginning and a "period" at the end. Sometimes for longer sentences, the author will make use of "commas" and "semi-colons" for connecting phrases and ideas into a cogent form of written communication.

Your problem is that you write like you would speak, which judging from what you have written, basically says that you have difficulty communicating even the most basic of thoughts.

Originally posted by RogueMaster

Laugh at the things you don`t understand,
    or fear them,
    Those are the ways of the simple mind`s

LOL  The irony here is epic.

Personally I think he's been drinking.  Not making a whole lot of sense to me.

Cend

• lobotojalobotoja Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by banthis

They're not charging extra for the missing cities this was said in an interview with several other websites. Do some research lobo before you go rambling incoherantly.  It also helps not to drink alcohol or do any drugs before you post.
    The missing cities will be added in like Raids & Arena's were for WoW, Chapters for Lord of the Rings & DDO....Free. 
    (doesn't mean they wont have paid expansions most games always have these lol)

Fair duzz did not know that theill be free. Warhammer was allways about expantions and additional guides to cities cults and generally great ewer expanding uniwerse, BUT I allready got the preorder. And I WANT MIDDLEHEIM there is no warhammer whiteout Middenheim. I hawe a house there ;)

When we spent endless nights serching the outskirts of altdorf for forgotten towers or crawling in muck of the underground tunnels under Middenheim trying to find a silent way into the secret haos cultists underground cave to which we were pointed to by one of the unfriendly city officials in whose house we found a broshe identical to the one our last nights assasins caried... the office the life the everything that he might hawe lost thatnks to uor charismatic elfs singing of hiz dirty connections... we didnt even hawe to beat him up to get the map in his safe... What differ warhammer from ADND and all hack and slash "RPG" is the small difference in aquiring xp`s  they were awarded after the adventure and not for killing monsters, that mede a hell lot of difference and that way of thinking produced games like "baldurs gate" or fallout where the plot is at least of the same importance as the fighting.    -  END QUOTE

THAT...is one lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng run on sentence my friend.

Here's what it "should" look like to be readable and "possibly" coherent.

When we spent endless nights "searching" the outskirts of Altdorf for forgotten towers or crawling in "the" muck of the underground tunnels under Middenheim, trying to find a silent way into the secret "Chaos" cultist's underground cave.   Which we were pointed to by one of the unfriendly city officials .

We found a broshe in the official's house which was identical to the one our "assassin" from the night prior had carried.  The office, the life, "the everything" that he might "have" lost "thanks" to "your" charismatic singing of "his" dirty connections.  We didn't even "have" to beat him up to get the map in his safe. 

How "will"  Warhammer differ from AD & D and all "the" hack and slash Rpgs is the small difference in the way that "exps" are acquired. 

They are awarded after the adventure and not for killing monsters, that "made" a hell of alot of difference and that way of thinking produced games like "Baldur's Gate" or Fallout where the plot is at least of the same importance as the fighting.

I put "" marks like these around words that were missing letters or misspelled altogether.

Perhaps you do not speak English as your mother tongue...OR you have been imbibing.  Either way it is good to put some spaces between paragraphs,  actually make paragraphs so that others may understand what you are trying to say.

*sigh*  kids these days.  Now one more comment since I am able to read and decipher what you are talking about.   I get that you are roleplaying here, and thats nice...I also get that there's a bit of poetry in your soul and thats refreshing.   In order that your message gets out there, the way you meant it, please try what I have suggested.  :)

Cend

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

His post is like taking Tale of Two Cities and chopping it into pieces.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

Rofl. This thread is epic.

Originally posted by Size-Twelve

Rofl. This thread is epic.

Yes it is ..care to add your two cents? ^^  :P

Cend

I think what Lobotoja is trying to get across here is reflected in his final statement:  

Don't kill the spirit of War.   In other words from what I can determine he is concerned about the Lore, the storyline,  the roleplaying aspects of the game. 

I can understand that, however I have never experienced the table top version, as I didn't have friends that were interested in that at all.   So I migrated to games like Meridian 59 and The Realm back in the day.

The Realm was interesting to me, spent 8 full months ..roleplaying every day.

So..are there actual roleplaying elements in Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning?   Think thats what the OP is getting at.

Discuss :)

Cend

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

after having read all the posts in this thread, i have to admit that all i know is this is a thread about war.  i have no idea what this thread was about as i think i've gone half blind and the other half ********, from reading this thread.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by Cendharia

I think what Lobotoja is trying to get across here is reflected in his final statement:  

Don't kill the spirit of War.   In other words from what I can determine he is concerned about the Lore, the storyline,  the roleplaying aspects of the game. 

I can understand that, however I have never experienced the table top version, as I didn't have friends that were interested in that at all.   So I migrated to games like Meridian 59 and The Realm back in the day.

So..are there actual roleplaying elements in Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning?   Think thats what the OP is getting at.

Discuss ::)

Cend

what MMOs have puzzles to solve?  if you put anything that requires you to think, half the players spam the forums complaining that you have to think, erm, i mean.. "it's too hard".

if you want RP/puzzles/etc, you actually need a sandbox.

eve online, you can be in a stealthed ship, spying on the enemy, NOT having to combat them.  or scanning systems, playing cat-n-mouse with an enemy.  you can join another corporation/alliance as a spy and actually pass war/battle/pos information to your "real" colleagues.

unless there's a lot of open-endedness in the game, you're not going to have anything other than hack-n-slash.  i.e. kill X mobs for Y level.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

DDO has Puzzles & Riddles that you have to figure out / solve in order to progress through some dungeons.  I found it a really good extra element to MMOs...it made the dungeons have that extra layer of depth instead of just the common through & hack up everything.   I wish More MMOs had them.

Originally posted by banthis

DDO has Puzzles & Riddles that you have to figure out / solve in order to progress through some dungeons.  I found it a really good extra element to MMOs...it made the dungeons have that extra layer of depth instead of just the common through & hack up everything.   I wish More MMOs had them.

The only other game that I have experienced in recent history that had dungeon floor puzzles etc was a standalone game,  Oblivion..which is not an MMO.

Those were fun, had to figure out the floor puzzle to get the next part of the dungeon to open up.

Cend

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

i shouldnt be laughing because its obvious English isnt your first language (If it is you seriously need help) but its the first time I have ever ever read a post 2-3 times and have no idea what the hell you are talking about.  Its almost an art form.

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Originally posted by chryses

i shouldnt be laughing because its obvious English isnt your first language (If it is you seriously need help) but its the first time I have ever ever read a post 2-3 times and have no idea what the hell you are talking about.  Its almost an art form.

Maybe it's a new language? That spoken by excessive MMORPG players.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

Originally posted by damian7

Originally posted by Cendharia

Discuss ::)

Cend

what MMOs have puzzles to solve?  if you put anything that requires you to think, half the players spam the forums complaining that you have to think, erm, i mean.. "it's too hard".

if you want RP/puzzles/etc, you actually need a sandbox.

eve online, you can be in a stealthed ship, spying on the enemy, NOT having to combat them.  or scanning systems, playing cat-n-mouse with an enemy.  you can join another corporation/alliance as a spy and actually pass war/battle/pos information to your "real" colleagues.

unless there's a lot of open-endedness in the game, you're not going to have anything other than hack-n-slash.  i.e. kill X mobs for Y level.

Hehe have to agree with you there Damian,   "thinking" and the old buzz word "reading" are not acceptable skills to today's gamers,  they would rather use someone else's brain. :P   Well some of them not all lol.

Cend