Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are there so many pessimistic gamers?

I frequent these forums and often find myself defending games that I could honestly care less about on the sole basis that every game has fine points about them while the negative points always get blown out of proportion.  Why is everyone so negative toward any MMO? 

It's not even limited to just AoC (which had a rough release, but is a pretty good game in the end) and WAR (which has already begun to be "nerfed" according to players and losing players because of rumors and unconfirmed content), but all of the MMOs ranging from WoW to EQ and even Guild Wars and EVE.

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
Current: FFXI (PC/360)
Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

Comments

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

- need for attention.

- gamers who play games to compesate for shortcomings in their RL (professional success, relationships) - and thus have too high expectatios of what a game should be

- bored

- deeply pessimistic

- need for attention, again - I know, I said id above, but I think that's one of the main points

- it's becoming some sort of forum-sport to be the troll

- valid concerns

.... and so on

• VehuelVehuel Member Posts: 112

OP plays Mabinogi...nuff said.

Currently Playing: 3ds Max 2009
    Played and Loved: World of Warcraft, EVE Online, Warhammer Online
    Best F2P MMO: Requiem Bloodymare
    Want to Play: Aion (See Teaser), DCuniverseOnline (awesome gameplay videos)

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Just natural it seems. We're all very angry children :)

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Because as games go more and more into the mainstream we are met with more and more streamlined, simplified, lack luster "blockbuster titles" that don't meet our ever increasing expectations. And because we're in a huge MMO slump right now, ever since WoW came out really. At this point, if you don't like WoW, you're pretty much screwed.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

Because it's the negatives that really stand out.  An MMO can have lots and lots of positives, but it only takes a couple negatives to ruin a game.  That's why I think too many gamers and devs concentrate too much on individual points.  It's not unusual to see posts on this forum about what your favorite aspects of an MMO are.

My personal opinion is that MMOs should be looked at as works of art.  Every part of it needs to compliment the other parts in order for it to really work well.  That is not an easy thing to do and why most of them aren't that great.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Lasastard

- need for attention.

THIS!

..what?

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

In other genres, you always get hit with a new title like once a month its impossible to keep up (fable 2, Star wars unleashed, mercenaries 2, etc the list goes on and on). Then you come to MMO sites everyone keeps talking bout the same played out games at some point you gotta start complaining because this just plain sucks

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Because MMO players are bitter hateful people.  And I hate them all.

Non-MMO/console gamers on the other hand love almost all new games that come out.  probably because they can rent.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by GreenChaos

Because MMO players are bitter hateful people.  And I hate them all.
    Non-MMO/console gamers on the other hand love almost all new games that come out.  probably because they can rent.

Haha thats not true. Most console gamers, when they aren't bitching about bad sequels, bitch about the games that they don't get to come to their consoles, or they bitch about the other consoles games sucking.

Originally posted by GreenChaos

probably, the best comment ever written in the mmo message-board world. bravo.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Take it like Hollywood productions;

What we are getting for games these days are the big name summer blockbuster movies. Sure they have big budgets and loads of special effects, but the story stinks and you end up leaving the theater thinking "Meh."

There are not many companies willing to attempt to take chances on an original idea. Nor are they willing to make something that strays from the new improved Coke 2 MMO formula. Add to that companies who begin hyping games a week before they begin alpha testing and then start stripping the game down, changing things and not being truthful to gamers. Instead they keep hyping the same game concepts and denying any problems. Then we end up buying the game and get hit with the classic "We had to change this, remove that and totally decided not to do this."

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Because there hasnt been a good game released in a very very long time. Its pretty much the same old same old...which is fine if your new to the market as you havent played the old so its still all new. It seems entertainment companies are the same no matter what genre they come from..they see a hit and think oh so thats how you make money...not realising they trying to copy that hit is gauranteed to fail as you can never beat that hits budget(for MMO's that means WoW), instead of trying to come up with a completely new concept that could be another hit all on its own.

What I want is a kind of smaller scale niche game with specific features that I think are fun, knowing that what I like and what I want is not what the majority of your average players want. Its too bad that all the games that start out like that end up getting a publisher that basically tells them or entices them into changing everything to "widen" thier appeal for a bigger market thus usually ruining the original game and losing thier core audience and usually creating a flop that the publisher them picks up and pumps out just enough money to make a profit and move on to the next MMO to turn into a stinking pile.

• ThunD2ThunD2 Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Vehuel

I fail to see your point.Could you tell me what's the problem?

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260

I am a Pess. because I find all new games are rushed out the door!

We end out paying for beta. Just please finish the game, make it fun and you will have a large fan base.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Lasastard

- need for attention.
    - gamers who play games to compesate for shortcomings in their RL (professional success, relationships) - and thus have too high expectatios of what a game should be
    - bored
    - deeply pessimistic
    - need for attention, again - I know, I said id above, but I think that's one of the main points
    - it's becoming some sort of forum-sport to be the troll
    - valid concerns
    .... and so on

Very much true , and may I add one

- Some of us older gamers have been around forever - i started gaming in 1985 , that is 23 years and lotsa games. We seen it all. Good , bad and the ugly

So we are quite jaded by now - and nothing but uberawesomeohmygod game will not shake us from our lack of excitement

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by Vehuel

Yeah, I also play FFXI and Guild Wars... what's your point?  I play a Casual, PvE, and PvP MMO, that's a fair balance of genres.

Communities can make or break a game.  Generally free games are based on grinding or have no content to keep players in them.  Unlike other MMOs Mabinogi has a strong community of players who actually talk.  That's something I like about it, unlike WoW, LOTRO, and CoX where I'd often find myself leveling on my own or seeing anyone for hours out and about.

Does playing Mabinogi mean I have low standards or desires in an MMO?  No, it means that Mabinogi has something that I want.  Actually, it has a few things.

1.  Strong community

2.  Skill based rather than level based (similar to SWG pre-NGE)

3.  Emphasis on team play

Does it mean it's a perfect MMO?  No; however, just because it's not perfect doesn't mean its a bad MMO.  As I've advocated in a few of my posts every has an audience.  If I said I played Maplestory, then you might have something worry about.

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

Originally posted by BlueCadwal

If I said I played Maplestory, then you might have something worry about.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

Lack of fresh air, daylight and exercise.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

The problem is forums tbh, its not just restricted to MMOs every game that has a forum is full of trolling, whining and hate. Every forum is the same parade of fanbois and whiners with the trolls mixed in for variety.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798
    Originally posted by BlueCadwal

I frequent these forums and often find myself defending games that I could honestly care less about on the sole basis that every game has fine points about them while the negative points always get blown out of proportion.  Why is everyone so negative toward any MMO?

Because MMOG "gamers" are the number one proof of John Gabriel's Greater Internet F*wad Theory.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

Because so many developers promise content which they don't deliver at release or ever, and the trend nowadays is to make instanced, dummied down, hand holding , simple MMOGs.

Being a pessimist is also healthier than being an optimist. A pessimist is never disappointed but sometimes pleasantly surprised.

• VioletteViolette Member UncommonPosts: 119

People on these forums whine way too much.

• xtravertxtravert Member UncommonPosts: 134

I'd say customer disatisfaction but a lot of the negative posts are by people who haven't played the game or even know much about the game.  Today rumors were started about the Bioware MMO and already there are negative posts.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Violette

People on these forums whine way too much.

Honestly, some people have a right to do so.

Look at Everquest and Lineage 2.

They still promote it and tell people it's an MMO where you can do this and that.

When people buy the game for the full price, buy 1 month sub on top of that,  log in, and see nothing but empty zones and a few multiboxers and a few hackers, do you feel they "whine"?

When they pay for AoC and the game does nothing but give an error and doesn't even run for some? They "whine"?

It's normal some people have a pessimistic outlook in regards to MMO.

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

The hardcore gaming lifestyle breeds depression and negativity. We all know that staying up all night playing wow and eating ramen isnt good for your body, and it isnt good for the brain either. Thats why everyone on this bored is so depressive and pessimistic about pretty much everything.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----