Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mike's Citadel of Sorcery FAQ (willl be constantly edited).

mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

*disclaimer* This contains no new information, I have just gathered all of the recent topics and some information from the FAQ (from the site) and I  turned it into a FAQ.  I just shortened the answers a bit, they are "short, sweet, and to the point."  This was from my guild site , which is ran by myself and Tdogskal and dafuzle.

Please, feel free to add any information to the FAQ that you believe in necessary.  Also, feel free to as quesstions and I will try my best to answer them.

NOTE** please say in your post if you believe this thread should be stickied.

Welcome to the Citadel of Sorcery FAQ.  This page will be frequently updated, and will try to contain all of the currently available information on CoS.

The CoS FAQ

Is CoS an MMORPG

Yes.

Does CoS have a website?

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/

*note* the site will be redone later on.

What does CoS stand for?

Citadel of Sorcery

Who is developing CoS?

A company names MMO Magic, and indie development team.

When will CoS be released?

There is no current release date.

When will beta begin?

There is no current date for beta.

What genre is CoS?

CoS is a fantasy setting.

When will the CoS homesite have official forums?

Currently this is unknown, and there will be forums when the developers feel they are ready to have them.

Will there be character customization in CoS?

Yes, the devs plan to allow as much custamization as possible.

Will there be raiding in CoS?

No, as it would not go along with the quest design.

When will the graphics be updated?

Currently the art design in CoS is being changed.  The current graphics now are only placeholders, since the developers' main concern was completing the gameplay.  The graphics will be update will be complete in 8+ months, so be patient.

What is this 'extreme prototype'?

Currently, the developers of CoS (MMO Magic) have an extreme prototype of CoS.  This means that the overall gameplay is near complete, and the game is fully playable. Although, this does not mean it is ready for release.  Things like art and the leveling system (and several other things) are still being worked on.

Can players jump?

Yes.

What are the races in CoS?

1) Verduren: a race that is one with nature.

2) Waerians: a race at home underwater or on land.

3) Gargoyles: their flesh is attuned to the stone of the earth.

4) Tyven: A small animal race who have little respect for the idea of personal possession.

5) Jenomos: an odd race from underground who are avid practical jokers who love creating mischief.

6) Human: What you begin as in the game, though you may not remain so forever.

When picking a race, you start off first as a human.   You then learn about each race, and then you have the choice to change your race (permanently).  This is so you have enough information to make your choice of race.

What are the different leagues?

1) Magic

2) Spirit

3) Heroes

4) Marksman

5) Shadow (not necessarily evil)

From these leagues, you can choose different abilities.  It is not about the leauges that you pick, but the abilities.  Each player can have unlimited abilities.

Can I solo in CoS, or am I forced to group?

EVERYTHING in CoS can be soloed.  All of your quests can be soloed, crafting can be done soloed, you never are forced to group in CoS.

Of course, there is always the option to group at anytime.

Does Citadel of Sorcery have magic?

Yes, but currently it is a secret how the system works, more info will be released once CoS gets closer to release.

The servers are different, how so?

The servers are unique.  At first when a player logs on, they are automatically brought to the servers where most of their friends and guildies are logged on.  If they do not wish to stay on this server, then players can simply log out and go to a server where their friends are.  Players are not restricted to one server.

Currently it is unknown how many players will be on each server.

Is Citadel of Sorcery static?

NO.  Time moves on, every minute, every hour,  every year.  Time changes from day to night, and everything you do has an effect on what happens next.

How are the quests in CoS?

CoS' main feature will be the quests.  The quest system will be very unique and unlike any other game on the market

Interested?  OF course you are.

Every player in CoS will have their own personal story.  No one will be given the same quests as you.  You lead your own personal story, and everything you do will affect the outcome of your story.  For instance, if you save a village, then the people of the village may return the favor later on (if you are going to attack a villain they may assit you).  Everything you do has an affect on your story...for good or for bad.

Players can also join your personal story quests at anytime, and it will effect their personal story as well.

In short, each player has their own personal story doing quests that take up to 1-2 weeks (real-time) to complete.  These quests tae actually thought and everything you do effects your future.

Are there mounts in CoS?

Yes, and mounts play a huge role.  Mounts will be necessary, since Citadel is a huge world, and there will be a need to travel.  Currently there aren't any flying mounts, but the possibility of having them has not been ruled out.

Are there classes in CoS?

No.

What are the penalties for death?

Currently, information on the death system is a unknown.  The only information we are given is that death will have a penalty, but it is currently a secret for what that penalty will be.

How is the combat?

The combat is CoS will be an icon system (ie, WoW, VG, etc).  Although there will be a parry and block system, which will give advantages to the players who thin, rather than just mashing buttons.

Will Citadel of Sorcery have any instancing?

YES.  Instancing is an important part of CoS, although this type of instancing is not like instancing in other games.

First off, instances in CoS are named Reflected Worlds.  In these Reflected Worlds, the WHOLE world is your instance.  When you enter a Reflected World, everything is there.  ThE WHOLE world is instanced, leaving it so you can do whatever you would liin a Reflected World.

Many things can be done in the Reflected Worlds, as well as outside of the Reflected Worlds.

Also,  up to eight players can go into a Reflected World together.

What can you do OUTSIDE of the reflected worlds?

Couldn't have said it any better than Jatar :)

"I'd have to type about twenty pages to answer that, and go into many areas that we don't want to release yet. 

There are MANY things to do outside the reflected worlds.  There are things like: mini-games,  tournaments, story elements, social events,  guild related, quest related, information and research,  character or guild maintenance, shopping, tours and tutorials,  meetings with the high and mighty,  diversions, performance and entertainment, many, many things to do under most of these areas.  Too many to talk about, and details that I'm not yet allowed to go into, but LOTS to do for players"

How large is the world in Citadel of Sorcery?

The world in CoS is HUGE.  Trust me, the is no understatement.  The world in CoS will be 900,000,000km.  This means it will take around a YEAR to walk around the world.

Of course, not all of this world will be complete at release.  Some of it will just be wilderness, but more will be developed time goes on.

Are there guild halls?

Yes, and they can be entered through a portal.  Currently, we do not have any information on what guilds can do.

Are NPCs inactive, just standing there saying the same things?

No, NPCs live their own life.  They are never doing the same thing over and over.  They have different things to do everyday, such as hunting, shopping, etc.  They live on their own lives.

Another example would be if an NPC needs help.  The NPC ONLY goes to you, and not everyone else.  If you are not there for this small adventure, then you will miss the chance to do the quest, since the NPC moves on. 

NPCs also have orginizations which are available for players to join.

Will there be player housing?

No, but it is possible that it gets added in later.

Is there a level cap?

No.  There will be no level cap on abilities.

Will there be torches in CoS?

Yes, and players will carry their torches if they plan to use them.  Also, torches can be used as weapons if a monster catches you off-guard.

What is the University?

The University is a place that helps players choose their abilities that best fit their goal.  Now, these suggestions do not have to be used, players could just go on their own road and choose their own abilties.

The choice is yours.

How are players given abilities?

First a player must choose an ability they want.

As for gaining abilities, you don't go to the 'Tomes of knowledge'.  You go to your League office and get a quest to obtain a Tome of Knowledge.  It is then up to you to win the tome.  Once you own it you can study it and practice the Ability.  Both study and practice can advance your skill.

Will there be harvesting in CoS?

No, CoS will not have any harvesting because the crafting system is very different than any other.  Since the crafting is done through questing, ther eis no need for harvesting.

Will there be crafting in CoS?

Yes.

How is the crafting system in CoS?

In CoS, crafting is done through questing.  You must go on quests to add features to the items you are crafting.

How do you choose what to add to your crafting items?

You first must research the item.  Then, after you research what you want to add to your crafted item, you are then given a quest to achieve it.

What equipement system is CoS using?

Mundane:   Mundane currently has nothing added to it.  You can add gems, enchantments, etc.  Mundane items can be improved.  Also, Mundane items are not of any value and cannot be traded or sold.

Magical items:  Items that have been improved through crafting (quests).  Also by adding gems, runes, charms, or talismens it will make the item magical.

Soulbound items:  This is when an item has reached 85% of its potential.  This item cannot be solded or traded, but it can be taken apart for a feature to add onto another item.  This will destroy the item in the process.

Monogrammed items:   These items are taken on a quest which gives the item a personal mark.  This will make the item soulbound, so it cannot be traded.  This also adds the item to your personal equipment set.

Will weather have an effect on things like torches and arrows?

This is currently a possibility...the developers are not sure about adding this feature into CoS.

Will CoS have minigames?

Yes.

Will CoS have a day/night rotation?

Yes, but it is currently unknown of the time it will take for a full day (in-game).  It will certainly NOT be 24 hours.

Will there be a player voice chat system in CoS?

Yes.

Can armour wear down overtime? Will combat affect the durability as well?

Currently this is planned for Citadel of Sorcery, but is not yet written in stone.  There are two types of ways armour can wear down:

Durability: How much abuse this item can withstand before needing repair.

Sturdiness: How fast this item takes abuse.

Comments

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

NOTE* I also added temporary forums to the homesite.  These forums are open to everyone, feel free to stop by and post

• TanqueTanque Member UncommonPosts: 46

Great FAQ but i think you should change the quests part because it makes you think that quests are almost everything you can do when Jatar already said that there are lots of things to do instead of quests.

Yes for Sticky.Just to avoid the same question being asked lots of times.

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

I'm glad Mike470 is enjoying himself collecting facts, but he does have a few facts that need adjustment.

There is NO release date at this time, none.

There is NO Beta date at this time, none.

Players are NOT limited to 30 abilities.

It's true that flying mounts are not currently in the game, but they are not ruled out completely either.

Other than than that, be aware that this is a very incomplete look at the game.  This is not Mike470's fault, he's collecting what he can, but much of the game is still kept secret and many of the facts he is collecting are incomplete (on purpose).  Still, most of  the list is accurate as far as it goes.

Originally posted by Jatar

I'm glad Mike470 is enjoying himself collecting facts, but he does have a few facts that need adjustment.
    There is NO release date at this time, none.
    There is NO Beta date at this time, none.
    Players are NOT limited to 30 abilities.
    It's true that flying mounts are not currently in the game, but they are not ruled out completely either.

Other than than that, be aware that this is a very incomplete look at the game.  This is not Mike470's fault, he's collecting what he can, but much of the game is still kept secret and many of the facts he is collecting are incomplete (on purpose).  Still, most of  the list is accurate as far as it goes.

Fixed

Anything else I should add?

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

Well, Teamspeak is a product name, and we are not including that company's product in our game.  We do have a built in player voice chat system

Also, there are other things to do while in the Reflected worlds other than Quests, Adventures and Crafting.  (And using the word 'Crafting' will no doubt bring up the wrong impression of what you are doing at that time.)  It's a big world, and there are many, many ways to play in Citadel of Sorcery.  Quests and Adventures are the primary game play elements, but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other choices.

As for gaining abilities, you don't go to the 'Tomes of knowledge'.  You go to your League office and get a quest to obtain a Tome of Knowledge.  It is then up to you to win the tome.  Once you own it you can study it and practice the Ability.  Both study and practice can advance your skill.

That's if for the moment, though I might weigh in again later :)

Fixed.

I am also currently adding a harvesting question....

..This FAQ will be huge after a couple months

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by mike470

Fixed.

Your going to drive yourself nuts soon. 

Sooner or Later

Originally posted by TdogSkal

Originally posted by mike470

Fixed.

Your going to drive yourself nuts soon. 

Heh, probably. 

Well while I work on this you can work on the guild rules

• dafuzzledafuzzle Member Posts: 160

lol whatever keeps ya busy mike, nice guide,  I'm sure your brother will have something to say about it though...., so just do this:

And i haven't checked out the guild site in a while, do we really need guild rules yet, since most guild rules involve ingame stuff.

Meh.....computer problems can't let me game...should be fixed in a couple weeks.  Need to help get ready for the vacation too...that's in a couple days.

Anyway, the rules can be changed simply, and it would be nice to have people joining to agree to the rules first.

P.S.  This is a new site.  The guild is named The Soldiers of Tomorrow.

wait so you changed the name from  The Untold Prophocies?  If so just gimme the new link because it would help...

Originally posted by dafuzzle

wait so you changed the name from  The Untold Prophocies?  If so just gimme the new link because it would help...

No.  It's an overall new guild.

www.freewebs.com/thesoldiersoftomorrow

why wasn't i told???...

Edited with question on durability.

Could this please get stickied by a mod?

• HeyimnewHeyimnew Member Posts: 1

Will there be PvP?

Originally posted by Heyimnew

Will there be PvP?

PVP willl be done in a coliseum, and it consists of both 1v1 and group vs. group.

Also, players can bet on the matches.