Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still vaporware? E3 presence?

StratfordStratford Member CommonPosts: 112

Has Darkfall presented anything (or going to present anything) at E3?

Comments

• Friction2uFriction2u Member Posts: 293

Originally posted by Stratford
    Has Darkfall presented anything (or going to present anything) at E3?

No.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I remember Darfall being at E3 before... They " forgot " the demo and so only had a booth.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Nothing at E3 and they don't even have a booth there this year.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by SlyLoK

I remember Darfall being at E3 before... They " forgot " the demo and so only had a booth.

lol

• Friction2uFriction2u Member Posts: 293

I think it was the other way around. They did have the demo at E3.

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

I remember GDC06... they were "there" without actually having much more then a video.  Even at RR we had a playable zone...

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• FodfodFodfod Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Friction2u

I think it was the other way around. They did have the demo at E3.

Actually they did forget the Demo, so they only had a booth with a darkfall poster.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

actually I too think that they did indeed have the demo...they even demonstrated it to some people...but we're talking years back...

The only year Darkfall showed up at E3 they had nothing more then a booth to show of the game. There was no demo or anything other then some screenshots and paper info of the game.

This year they didn't even bother to show up at E3. Doesn't much sound like a game that is anywhere near launch.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by Thomas2006

The only year Darkfall showed up at E3 they had nothing more then a booth to show of the game. There was no demo or anything other then some screenshots and paper info of the game.
    This year they didn't even bother to show up at E3. Doesn't much sound like a game that is anywhere near launch.

Nope, not vaporware. They have a European publisher/distributer. And old and well respected company that announced to its stock holders that it would be distributing the game, as law states they must. (gotta keep the investors in on whats going on)

So as of now (and I'm sick or repeating it, but something has to counter the years of idiodic trolls going "lol vaporz") they are not vaporware. I'm very surprised anyone believed they were, cause the evidence has always been there, people just chose to ignore it.

Now the only question is, what state is the game in? Will it deliver what it promised? Will it suck? Will it be amazing? We'll see soon, I hope. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by Thomas2006

What....you didn't hear?  They are taking a totally NEW and GROUNDBREAKING path for releasing info and hard evidence about their game.

They aren't.

We should totally applaud them and support such new and innovative ideals.  It is something I'll be getting right around too....right as soon as I get done buying that swampland and finish playing Duke Nukem Forever.   I should probably thank those guys too...they seem to all be taking the very same approach, as it were.  Hmmm....now that I recall, very few of the people I meet in dark alleys seem to want to show me any of the great stuff they keep telling me about. 

A trend, perhaps?

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

With about 5 months left to go, saying they are going to release this year, and now not showing up at E3, either they are super confident about their game that it needs no marketing, or....... we know whats next.

Guess we have wait for 09 E3 than....

RIP Orc Choppa

• ElgarLElgarL Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by SignusM

Nope, not vaporware. They have a European publisher/distributer. And old and well respected company that announced to its stock holders that it would be distributing the game, as law states they must. (gotta keep the investors in on whats going on)

So as of now (and I'm sick or repeating it, but something has to counter the years of idiodic trolls going "lol vaporz") they are not vaporware. I'm very surprised anyone believed they were, cause the evidence has always been there, people just chose to ignore it.

Now the only question is, what state is the game in? Will it deliver what it promised? Will it suck? Will it be amazing? We'll see soon, I hope. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

It IS vaporware, right up until the time they either release or at least have a beta.

A distribution deal means absolutely nothing. All it does mean is that they have talked to a distributor and signed an agreement  so that WHEN/IF something ever gets onto a CD then the distributor will be shipping it out.

I could go out tomorrow and sign an agreement with a distributor on a product that does't exist. It only has to be an idea for you to make plans and agreements.

Creator of ELTank and Nostalgia

Originally posted by ElgarL

I could go out tomorrow and sign an agreement with a distributor on a product that does't exist. It only has to be an idea for you to make plans and agreements.

you think so? An established corporation traded in the stock market would sign a deal for "thin air"?

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

It IS vaporware, right up until the time they either release or at least have a beta.

A distribution deal means absolutely nothing. All it does mean is that they have talked to a distributor and signed an agreement  so that WHEN/IF something ever gets onto a CD then the distributor will be shipping it out.

Are you kidding me? Well with that brilliant logic, no game on earth exists until it hits store shelves! How did it get there then? Hmm, a paradox. I mean, are you even listening to yourself?

That company would not agree to spend THEIR MONEY publishing something that DOESN'T exist. It exists.

A THOUSAND TIMES it exists! I'm not defending the QUALITY of the game. I have no idea what its going to be like or if they'll make their launch date. But  IT EXISTS!!!

Seriously, this is no random company. This company has been around a loooong time, distributing all kinds of multimedia. They're not going to tell their stock holders they're selling a game that doesn't even exist. They're not signing a deal with thin air.

Are you kidding me? Well with that brilliant logic, no game on earth exists until it hits store shelves! How did it get there then? Hmm, a paradox. I mean, are you even listening to yourself?

That company would not agree to spend THEIR MONEY publishing something that DOESN'T exist. It exists.

A THOUSAND TIMES it exists! I'm not defending the QUALITY of the game. I have no idea what its going to be like or if they'll make their launch date. But  IT EXISTS!!!

Seriously, this is no random company. This company has been around a loooong time, distributing all kinds of multimedia. They're not going to tell their stock holders they're selling a game that doesn't even exist. They're not signing a deal with thin air.

The problem is currently there's nothing to publish. Its just an agreement that IF DF is finish. But right now the company didnt spend any dim yet......

Read about the history of " Gods and Heros" and you will understand....

RIP Orc Choppa

there is something to publish, otherwise they wouldn't sign a publishing deal, LOL

Do you guys read your comments after you post them?

I repeat, would a respectable, established company, traded in the stock exchange,  sign a publishing deal if there was no product to publish?

Do you think that a publicly traded company in the stock market can sign a deal for "vaporware" products? Do you realize that this deal can potentially increase their share price, and that if the deal is not actual and just a "facade" , it amounts to fraud (stock manipulation)?

Is perhaps Audio Visual Enterprises, too, part of the great plot concocted by convicts-in-hiding ex-Razorwax employees, in order to scam investors and steal their money?

LoL and LOL...

Originally posted by Galadourn

there is something to publish, otherwise they wouldn't sign a publishing deal, LOL

I repeat, would a respectable, established company, traded in the stock exchange,  sign a publishing deal if there was no product to publish?

Do you think that a publicly traded company in the stock market can sign a deal for "vaporware" products? Do you realize that this deal can potentially increase their share price, and that if the deal is not actual and just a "facade" , it amounts to fraud (stock manipulation)?

Is perhaps Audio Visual Enterprises, too, part of the great plot concocted by convicts-in-hiding ex-Razorwax employees, in order to scam investors and steal their money?

LoL and LOL...

What im saying is, of course they see there is something to publish. But that dosent mean it will get publish ultimately. Signing a deal with a publisher, dosent mean anything.

No doubt they are listed or whatever, but the problem is they have no experiance in mmo... that is the problem....

IF DF dosen't get publish, its not a fraud because its not their fault, its AVE problem...

RIP Orc Choppa

that is an entirely different case; ofc any number of reasons/mishaps can delay or even cancel release of the game.

However, a deal with a publicly traded company at this point, indicates that there is something to publish (we can't judge the quality of this product yet, of course)

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

Come on,don't be silly...just because it does exist doesn't mean it's going to ever see the light of day. How many games have we seen thats started being produced and DID exist but got canned. I can think of a few...Original Warhammer,Ultima X: Odyssey are a few I remember.

Originally posted by arctarus

Originally posted by Galadourn

LoL and LOL...

What im saying is, of course they see there is something to publish. But that dosent mean it will get publish ultimately. Signing a deal with a publisher, dosent mean anything.

No doubt they are listed or whatever, but the problem is they have no experiance in mmo... that is the problem....

IF DF dosen't get publish, its not a fraud because its not their fault, its AVE problem...

Some people just do not understand that a publisher has nothing to lose if a game never makes it out of development. There any many agreements with EA each year to publish games, yet for some reasion or another the development company never finishs the game, can not uphold there end of the agreement, ect. Its not uncommon to get a publishing agreement with nothing more then a good pitch for a game, if you have a good idea to pitch that is.

The publishers look at it like this: The more developers and games they can pack into a year there more end profit they are going to make. They could sign over 100 deals a year and even if only 50% of them go through and become more then just an agreement it is profit to them. It doesn't hurt them in the least bit that the other 50% did not make it. Because A) They do not have to provide any customer service for the game tell its out on the market. B) They do not print boxs until the game is finished. So in the end if the game flops its no lose to them. There out $0 dollars for the deal other then the time it took to listen to the developers idea.

Back in '99 we had a publishers agreement with Sierra for a mmo called Age of Darkness. All it took to get that publishing deal was to fly down to Sierra's offices and pitch the game idea. They liked it and signed an agreement with us at the time. 3 years later when the funding for the game dried up and we as the developers felt that the game was nowhere near the quality we wanted. We contacted Sierra and let them know we where backing out of the agreement and then we scrapped the game. Parts where auctioned off to different companys to help pay back the loans we used as startup money for the company.

And again:

what I'm arguing here is not whether or not DF will make it to the stores; I'm trying to refute the unsubstantiated claims, made by some people here and in other fora, that Aventurine doesn't have a product to publish.

For the reasons explained above, Aventurine must have a product to publish, in order to sign a publishing deal with a company listed in the stock market. Now how good that product is, and whether it will actually manage to release, is a different story...

• dirtknap69dirtknap69 Member Posts: 295

how many of you have actually *been* to E3? it's basically a standoff between microsoft, nintendo and sony. they don't even bother to hide it, it's plastered all over the official site. there are tons of games that don't bother going to E3 anymore.

not to mention E3 is invitation only now, and is in the US; Darkfall is a european game.

• SilvarchSilvarch Member Posts: 233

You guys do understand that AVE has never announced an agreement to publish Darkfall Online, nor have they committed any money to it, right? It does not mean they won't but there's nothing solid so far and they haven't made a deal per se.

Please read the interpretations (by a native greek speaker) of the press release here, there's a post with more insight into it as well as a link to the press release itself right after it. See for yourself that it is so vague and uncommitted that it doesn't even mention Darkfall Online anywhere.

No it doesn't. But the only other known gaming project Aventurine was part of, was the Electronic Sports World Championship, which ended in 2007.

So one could assume with some certainty that they are referring to Darkfall, since they are mentioning on-line gaming as a field of business activity in those reports.