Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall - THE WOW KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13»

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

WoW was doing great lore wise ... until they brought the space cows into the picture. That surely messed the lore more than the way their toons look like.

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526
    Originally posted by Friction2u

Originally posted by bluealien1

What is vapor cannot possibly kill something that is thriving.

lol

Considering the MO link in your sig I hope you see the irony in what you said

MO's chances of releasing thus far are a hell of alot higher than DF's. MO has shown absolutely no signs of vapor so far. They are well funded(You cannot get the U3 engine unless you have evidence to support this), they have an absolutely excellent engine to work with(U3), and the developer to player communication is nothing short of remarkable.

When is DF's beta date again? What was that, less than 6 months from release and no beta date? Wow.

• dirtknap69dirtknap69 Member Posts: 295
    Originally posted by kishe

Darkfall...5 years in development and best they can do is give us handful of semi-rendered screenshots.

lol what makes you think they're pre-rendered?

Originally posted by bluealien1

MO's chances of releasing thus far are a hell of alot higher than DF's. MO has shown absolutely no signs of vapor so far. They are well funded(You cannot get the U3 engine unless you have evidence to support this), they have an absolutely excellent engine to work with(U3), and the developer to player communication is nothing short of remarkable.

so MO & DF have been in development for the same amount of time, et DF has 4 gameplay movies, scores of screenshots and hundreds of pages of developer updates while MO has 1 pre-rendered teaser movie and nothing else and you're calling DF vapourware?

lolwut?

• TheodgrimTheodgrim Member Posts: 535
    Originally posted by dirtknap69

so MO & DF have been in development for the same amount of time, et DF has 4 gameplay movies, scores of screenshots and hundreds of pages of developer updates while MO has 1 pre-rendered teaser movie and nothing else and you're calling DF vapourware?

lolwut?

Yeah, lolwut?   They have not been in dev about the same time. 

According to the MO FAQ, they started planning in 2002 and it took off in 2005.  In regards to DF, Claus is quoted as saying he started planning DF around 1995, got serious in 1997.  Razorwaz opened their offices in 2000, and then of course Aventurine took over in late 2002.

The MO video claims it was produced using in game content and technology.  No reason not to give them the benefit of the doubt, since we are comparing them to Aventurine!

And last, the U3 engine proves that these guys actually have solid backing.   Of course, there is no guarantee MO will launch, but it has a better chance than DF, IMO.

Originally posted by Theodgrim

lolwut?

According to the MO FAQ, they started planning in 2002 and it took off in 2005.  In regards to DF, Claus is quoted as saying he started planning DF around 1995, got serious in 1997.  Razorwaz opened their offices in 2000, and then of course Aventurine took over in late 2002.

The MO video claims it was produced using in game content and technology.  No reason not to give them the benefit of the doubt, since we are comparing them to Aventurine!

And last, the U3 engine proves that these guys actually have solid backing.   Of course, there is no guarantee MO will launch, but it has a better chance than DF, IMO.

it's hilarious how easily you trolls are persuaded by misdirection and hype.

- the MO FAQ states the codebase goes back to 2000

- DF started serious development in 2003

- MO video was made with in-game models and then pre-rendered.

- anyone can buy a unreal engine license. it costs $300K. it means nothing.

as for giving MO the benefit of the doubt - LOL - the MO guys have released not a single thing over the years and they're claiming a summer 2008 release date and you think somehow they're better than Aventurine/Darkfall. great logic there.

<modedit>

• TheodgrimTheodgrim Member Posts: 535

http://www.mortalonline.com/faq#q17
    It does?  Link me to better info if you have it.
    Fine, I wont argue.  MO started serious development 2 YEARS later.  To anyone but Aventurine, that is significant dev time.
    That was all the benefit of the doubt I referred to - actual in-game models.
    It means they have $300K to spend on an engine. 
    as for giving MO the benefit of the doubt - LOL - the MO guys have released not a single thing over the years and they're claiming a summer 2008 release date and you think somehow they're better than Aventurine/Darkfall. great logic there.
    I assume that is a typo, since they claim launch in summer 2009.  But I never said I believed that date - I said they had a better chance of launching.  Thanks, I think my logic is great too!

<modedit>

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

What other MMOs have had 1 million + subscribers?

I know some throw Lineage 1 $ 2 and Ragnarok in there but noone really knows how many ' real ' subs they have. Internet cafes can really scew the numbers.

We know WoW has over a million real subs because they have like 3 million in the US/EU ( or was it just the US? ) and 10+ million in all.

About the only thing that can kill WoW is time and even then Blizzard would probably still have a large player base.

P.S. WAR isnt that great right now.

• SilvarchSilvarch Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by Theodgrim

lolwut?

it's hilarious how easily you trolls are persuaded by misdirection and hype.

your opinion is worthless cause you're clueless, and full of sh1t.

"the MO guys have released not a single thing over the years"

MO was announced in April 2008, 3 months and a couple of days ago, that's hardly "over the years".

"anyone can buy a unreal engine license. it costs $300K. it means nothing."

Inaccurate, but I can see how you'd believe this since you have no knowledge on it. The Unreal Engine 3's price is not publicly available, you have to get a quote from them depending on the terms and conditions of the deal, including royalties and amount of platforms you're releasing on. It can go for as little as $700,000 and up to $1,000,000 or more. You have to demonstrate solvency and the ability to meet the initially projected budget. Unlike a product you just buy, a license is a legally binding contract between Epic Games and the licensee. They're obligated to provide support for the duration of development and some time after launch, the engine codebase along with recent fixes and optimization, and sometimes on site training. For this reason they don't just sell the license unless you have a good chance to ship a product and are a credible and reputable company. This is no guarantee they'll ship it, nothing in life is.

I recommend checking out the engine licensing terms, it will be a most enlightening read.

"the MO FAQ states the codebase goes back to 2000"

Given that the engine they're licensing for the game wasn't available until 2004, I find it hard to believe their codebase goes back to 2000. Unless of course they started work with a different engine and had to scrap it when they got a completely different one, as is often explained by some as the reason why they think DF began development in 2003. So it's good enough for DF to reset development time, but it wouldn't be good enough for MO.

That and the FAQ says no such thing.

While I'd never dare to discount anyone's opinion, under your standards your opinion is less than worthless, because not only you're obviously clueless about the things you're posting about, but you'd assume your completely wrong guesses to be fact and presume to use them to discount other opinions.

Whether MO will launch on time or at all remains to be seen, but too little time since its annoucement has passed to make that type of judgement. One this that is true is that the verfiable information about the (costly) third party technology licensed by Star Vault is a heck of a lot more credible than anything Aventurine has produced.

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477

Darkfall has been in and out of development for well over 10 years now. Go research it.  If it does release it better deliver or it will fail.

Originally posted by Silvarch
    "the MO guys have released not a single thing over the years" MO was announced in April 2008, 3 months and a couple of days ago, that's hardly "over the years".

they have been developing full-time since 2005. that's 3.5 years, including an off-the-shelf game engine, physics, and modelling tools. they've released no info, no in-game screenshots or movies.

"anyone can buy a unreal engine license. it costs $300K. it means nothing." Inaccurate, but I can see how you'd believe this since you have no knowledge on it. The Unreal Engine 3's price is not publicly available, you have to get a quote from them depending on the terms and conditions of the deal, including royalties and amount of platforms you're releasing on. It can go for as little as $700,000 and up to $1,000,000 or more. You have to demonstrate solvency and the ability to meet the initially projected budget. Unlike a product you just buy, a license is a legally binding contract between Epic Games and the licensee. They're obligated to provide support for the duration of development and some time after launch, the engine codebase along with recent fixes and optimization, and sometimes on site training. For this reason they don't just sell the license unless you have a good chance to ship a product and are a credible and reputable company. This is no guarantee they'll ship it, nothing in life is.

lol that's crap. i'm a professional software developer who dabbles in 3d rendering as a hobby. most of what you wrote is flat-out wrong. they will sell anyone a license if you have the money. you don't get tech support for the engine over and above addressing bugs/deficiencies of the engine and the best way to extend it for your project. you also pulled those cash figures out of your arse, i know of licensees who have paid half that. more than anything though, i said having a game engine means nothing because a 3d game engine is just one tiny piece of a MMO project. all the art, game systems, networking, the server... the 3d client renderer is maybe 10% of the whole project in terms of man-hours. the source code for the whole unreal engine is probably less than 250K lines of code for example.

"the MO FAQ states the codebase goes back to 2002" Given that the engine they're licensing for the game wasn't available until 2004, I find it hard to believe their codebase goes back to 2002. Unless of course they started work with a different engine and had to scrap it when they got a completely different one, as is often explained by some as the reason why they think DF began development in 2003. So it's good enough for DF to reset development time, but it wouldn't be good enough for MO.

as i corrected above - the engine is just a small piece of the overall project in an MMO. the majority of the code is gameplay systems. so they have been accumulating code since 2002, but fix a start date at 2005, much like DF has been accumulating code since 1999 but didn't begin serious game development until 2003.

Whether MO will launch on time or at all remains to be seen, but too little time since its annoucement has passed to make that type of judgement. One this that is true is that the verfiable information about the (costly) third party technology licensed by Star Vault is a heck of a lot more credible than anything Aventurine has produced.

i'm not sure what magical world you live in where demonstrated progress in the form of numerous interviews/screenshots/videos counts for less than a company that has released nothing but a pre-rendering cinematic teaser video.

so what if Aventurine changed their mind about release dates? that's their prerogative to expand the scope of their game if they choose to and have the funds to do so. Aventurine are clearly well-funded and driven, and the released screens/videos show a high degree of quality and programming sophication. i see no reason to doubt them.

Originally posted by khartman2005

Darkfall has been in and out of development for well over 10 years now. Go research it.  If it does release it better deliver or it will fail.

from 2003 to 2008 = 5.5 years, plus some code brought forward from 2001, 7.5 years.

seems reasonable for:

- writing a game engine from scratch

- building physics engine from scratch

- building a real-time world simulation

- implementing the game server to be based on asynchronous, dynamically re-distributable gameplay modules.

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

All i can say is lol.

I pray daily for people to realise that wow isnt the god of mmos, but its not like darkfall has even the remotest chance of killing wow.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

Originally posted by Silvarch

"the MO guys have released not a single thing over the years" MO was announced in April 2008, 3 months and a couple of days ago, that's hardly "over the years".

they have been developing full-time since 2005. that's 3.5 years, including an off-the-shelf game engine, physics, and modelling tools. they've released no info, no in-game screenshots or movies.

"anyone can buy a unreal engine license. it costs $300K. it means nothing." Inaccurate, but I can see how you'd believe this since you have no knowledge on it. The Unreal Engine 3's price is not publicly available, you have to get a quote from them depending on the terms and conditions of the deal, including royalties and amount of platforms you're releasing on. It can go for as little as $700,000 and up to $1,000,000 or more. You have to demonstrate solvency and the ability to meet the initially projected budget. Unlike a product you just buy, a license is a legally binding contract between Epic Games and the licensee. They're obligated to provide support for the duration of development and some time after launch, the engine codebase along with recent fixes and optimization, and sometimes on site training. For this reason they don't just sell the license unless you have a good chance to ship a product and are a credible and reputable company. This is no guarantee they'll ship it, nothing in life is.

lol that's crap. i'm a professional software developer who dabbles in 3d rendering as a hobby. most of what you wrote is flat-out wrong. they will sell anyone a license if you have the money. you don't get tech support for the engine over and above addressing bugs/deficiencies of the engine and the best way to extend it for your project. you also pulled those cash figures out of your arse, i know of licensees who have paid half that. more than anything though, i said having a game engine means nothing because a 3d game engine is just one tiny piece of a MMO project. all the art, game systems, networking, the server... the 3d client renderer is maybe 10% of the whole project in terms of man-hours. the source code for the whole unreal engine is probably less than 250K lines of code for example.

"the MO FAQ states the codebase goes back to 2002" Given that the engine they're licensing for the game wasn't available until 2004, I find it hard to believe their codebase goes back to 2002. Unless of course they started work with a different engine and had to scrap it when they got a completely different one, as is often explained by some as the reason why they think DF began development in 2003. So it's good enough for DF to reset development time, but it wouldn't be good enough for MO.

as i corrected above - the engine is just a small piece of the overall project in an MMO. the majority of the code is gameplay systems. so they have been accumulating code since 2002, but fix a start date at 2005, much like DF has been accumulating code since 1999 but didn't begin serious game development until 2003.

i'm not sure what magical world you live in where demonstrated progress in the form of numerous interviews/screenshots/videos counts for less than a company that has released nothing but a pre-rendering cinematic teaser video.

so what if Aventurine changed their mind about release dates? that's their prerogative to expand the scope of their game if they choose to and have the funds to do so. Aventurine are clearly well-funded and driven, and the released screens/videos show a high degree of quality and programming sophication. i see no reason to doubt them.

*sighs* So you're saying they should release info before they announce the game, or that they should have announced the game at the beginning of the project?

I fail to see how you being a "professional software developer who dabbles in 3d rendering as a hobby" even matters, I work for a licensee and yet I don't see the need to use those unverifiable credentials to back up my arguments. Having an engine means, at the very least, that you have an engine, especially a battle hardened engine like UE3 (which is not a simple 3D renderer), so it obviously means something, that and price is all I was correcting. Nowhere did I imply the engine means the game. The price range comes from experience and other cases, but if someone got UE3 for half of that then they should be glad, because that's the going price for the last gen Unreal Engine 2.x. By the way, did you read the links on support and licensing terms, or did you just skip them?

Why did you "correct" my post to 2002 when I clearly meant 2000, which is what you stated in your post? Still, the FAQ has nothing about having a codebase from 2002. They talk about planning, which is design,  not coding "gameplay systems" or anything else (game logic and mechanics usually are implemented on the engine, scripted or hardcoded) and if we take that as the beginning of the development process then Darkfall has been in development since 1995.

I'm curious though, where in what's been shown by Aventurine so far do you clearly see a high degree of programming sophistication?

By the way, I live in a very real world where having money is more tangible than promises.

• jaharjahar Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by jackwhite

After reading what Darkfall has to offer, I am positive that IF IT IS REAL (meaning base your responses on the features), they deliver everything they said would, and if it can run most normal computers, then it will be the WOW killer we have all been waiting for.

First, I thought you just made that title to catch the eye then make this something interesting, but I was wrong.

Second, that's a whole lot of ifs. I could plan a game, with that many ifs.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

The game will begin Open Beta testing in October, according to rumors.  At that time we'll be given the chance to see whether Aventurine has a game or not; I'm hoping for the former.

Likewise. In time for my birthday, nice.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Galadourn

The game will begin Open Beta testing in October, according to rumors.  At that time we'll be given the chance to see whether Aventurine has a game or not; I'm hoping for the former.

Now that is funny.  I believe they promised beta at least twice before and then failed to produce.  What makes you think that this time will be different?

This game is not even at the alpha stage yet, let alone beta.  You might see a beta in 2009, IF they get someone in there to rip out all the unworking features and put out a semblance of a game together.

Unless they pare the feature list, this game will never see the light of day.

• MrCrackerMrCracker Member Posts: 4

darkfall will not be a wow killer. why? because darfall will require skill, and most wow players have no skill so they won't like it.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Now that is funny.  I believe they promised beta at least twice before and then failed to produce.  What makes you think that this time will be different?
    This game is not even at the alpha stage yet, let alone beta.  You might see a beta in 2009, IF they get someone in there to rip out all the unworking features and put out a semblance of a game together.
    Unless they pare the feature list, this game will never see the light of day.

I said "according to rumors"

there is nothing to be certain about.