Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Mark Jacobs Interview Part Two

Comments

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Well, I do not see any of this as a good thing.

*  Canceled classes

*  Canceled starting areas

*  Now looks like the same ghastly mistake EQ2 made with their start & faction areas

*  Punkbuster ? ? ?   This is not a 32 player game, is it?  This is a game with 1000s of players on a server at one time.  I cannot believe this is not going to have a Client-side impact on performance and gameplay.  Not to mention the security issues this is going to raise.  Using a package like this on a FPS like BF series is one thing.  Using it in a persistant world where you stand to lose months, if not years, of progress on being hacked?

WAR just dropped several notches on my interest list.  Looking like it is being rushed to market to soon.  They should just bite the bullet and finish it for release, like they have always said they were going to do. 

And drop this astoundingly stupid idea of using 'Punkbuster' for security.

Just my 2c

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891
    Originally posted by Shoal

*  Canceled classes    - Delayed / Cancelled we techincally don't knwo I'm leaning towards Delayed due to incompleteness they do exist they just aren't ready.
    *  Canceled starting areas   The cities are NOT starting areas its content is all high level content except for AH & Bank systems which are readily available in ALL cities
    *  Now looks like the same ghastly mistake EQ2 made with their start & faction areas   Hardly everyone starts in the Realm to their Race completely different zones..there's just only one capital to report too (please read moer about the game before posting.
    *  Punkbuster ? ? ?   This is not a 32 player game, is it?  This is a game with 1000s of players on a server at one time.  I cannot believe this is not going to have a Client-side impact on performance and gameplay.  Not to mention the security issues this is going to raise.  Using a package like this on a FPS like BF series is one thing.  Using it in a persistant world where you stand to lose months, if not years, of progress on being hacked?
    WAR just dropped several notches on my interest list.  Looking like it is being rushed to market to soon.  They should just bite the bullet and finish it for release, like they have always said they were going to do. 
    Just my 2c

Hardly a rush the game's been in development for almost 4 years now.   Considering what happened with other games EQ2 and AoC where they released everything even if it wasn't finished...I'll choose WAR's method anyday.  I'd rather it just not be there if its not finished.

Originally posted by banthis

*  Canceled classes    - Delayed / Cancelled we techincally don't knwo I'm leaning towards Delayed due to incompleteness they do exist they just aren't ready.
    *  Canceled starting areas   The cities are NOT starting areas its content is all high level content except for AH & Bank systems which are readily available in ALL cities
    *  Now looks like the same ghastly mistake EQ2 made with their start & faction areas   Hardly everyone starts in the Realm to their Race completely different zones..there's just only one capital to report too (please read moer about the game before posting.
    Just my 2c

Hardly a rush the game's been in development for almost 4 years now.   Considering what happened with other games EQ2 and AoC where they released everything even if it wasn't finished...I'll choose WAR's method anyday.  I'd rather it just not be there if its not finished.

My thoughts on the Starting areas are based on DAoC which had starting areas related to the Capital Cities.  Thus, if only two Capital Cities are in play, I would expect only two sets of Starting areas to be in play as well.  Could be wrong; don't have any maps.

Delayed is as good as canceled as far as Launch goes.  Lets say they are canceled for launch and indefinitely delayed for inclusion (we don't actually have any dates). 

No thoughts on Punkbuster?

• halteahaltea Member UncommonPosts: 95

what a sick joke,  cutting out 2/3 of content from the game, i dont care anymore when this crap is released, another fail...

• flipendo78flipendo78 Member Posts: 52

Im not concerned with the removal of the captial cities as long as they are put in at a later date. What really irks me is the removal of the classes.  I had beeen planning on playing a blackguard since they released information about them. Now I have to go back to the drawing board. Adding classes to a game after it has already started is never a good thing. There is always going to be a balance issue. They should have just delayed the game again untill they got it right. Mark keeps saying EA is having no impact on Mythic's schedule for the game, then why release it when its obviously not ready? If it was ready you wouldn't have to cut out key elements of the game to make it enjoyable. And what about all their bs about the game being done for months and all we are doing is polishing things up...

Played: SWG 2.5 years, WoW 4 years
    Tried: RF Online, Ryzom, Daoc, CoH/CoV, Lotro, Vanguard, Guild Wars
    Beta Tested: SWG, RF Online, Lotro, Potbs, Tabula Rasa, G&H, Perfect World

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by novafluxx

Originally posted by ProfRed

I think they should delay the launch with what is going on...  I wonder if they would have taken this same route if they didn't have AoC as an example.  Either way I don't think the game is ready to launch when they are launching it.

I bet they saw what happened wit Funcom and AoC and learned some lessons from it.

I think they where aiming way higher since the start. DAoC was possibly the best MMORPG release ever. Mythic design things, they test things, they are honest with there customers (this announcement for example) Unlike FC which do the exact reverse.

Originally posted by banthis

Just my 2c

No thoughts on Punkbuster?

On Punkbuster?  No...but something needs to be done to eliminating or help with cheating if it works without interfering then I really don't care.   If bogs things down then I hope they remove it.  

btw those aren't thoughts on the cities...its the truth :) ask anyone who's played the game already.  The starting zones to lvl 40 zones are still in game...otherwise they'd of said "we're leaving out these Realms" not Cities.

Its funny how people forget the past..Vanguard released with everything yet it was severely incomplete...AoC said they had everything but didn't and still don't and the game is in piss poor shape after dozens of delays.  WAR makse one smart move to eliminate bad / unfinished content so they can finally release and give the players something and people still whine despite the fact it IS a good choice.

Delays don't fix everything AoC's broken & bug issues prove this.    Delaying because 1 or 2 things aren't ready is one thing Delaying because several LARGE things that don't eliminate the entire promised feature of the game is mildly retarded.   We still get AH's, banks, Sieges, Keeps, Lots and lots and lots of zones filled with content, 20 classes, dungeons, PvP, RvR ranks, a career system, tactics system, guild system, etc 

All the promised systems are there...just 4 of the 6 ways to reach some of the system isn't.  We still get to do everything they promised.   I'll still be out on a battlefield bashing heads and busting down keep walls.

Looks like the 'Mines of Moria' will be coming out just in time. 

you can go join hapy land of bunnies I'll be killing members of the Order Faction instead.

• KnightTrueKnightTrue Member Posts: 3

"Takes more than 200 people to siege the city its is not a guild event.  So nice try at the trolling lol. "

-Banthis the nonfactor

Yeah thats what they said about WoW till hardcore pvp guilds locked down Ogrimmar and Ironforge.  I could take 50 of my guys and lock one of these lame cities down with 400 newbies trying to get back in., Warhammer isn't going to have the same sever pop as WoW, so it'll be that much easier.  The level cap of 40 will be hit within 2 days by exploit usage, always happens.

WAR devs were supposedly working on this game a long time, producing all these retarded podcasts and videos when they should have been working on content for the game.  It was bad enough they had to redo the graphics because they got so out of date, but removing 4 cities and 4 classes?! I mean how hard is it to make a mirror class with some cool looking tactics that differentiate it from its counterpart?! Good luck trying to add 4 classes and balance them later on down the line, talk about a challenge.  This is an obviously stupid move to anyone who has worked in the game development industry.  No thanks Mythic, take this BS Spin and write a blog, if they really believe people think taking out this much content is going to make the game better, they don't deserve my money nor anyone looking for a solid pvp MMORPG.  This game isn't ready for a sept launch.  Get ready for your first $30 expansion pack with maybe 2 classes, then another $30 expansion with 2 more classes after that.  Funcom promised alot and also didn't deliver with AOC, hence their subscriber base being down to like 70k now out of the estimated 700k pre-orders all because they didn't have the content ready they said they would.

Hear that sound?... Its the sound of thousands of WOTLK being pre-ordered because people know WAR isn't shaping up to be what they thought.

<modedit>

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804
    Originally posted by haltea

what a sick joke,  cutting out 2/3 of content from the game, i dont care anymore when this crap is released, another fail...

2/3 of the content? So by this logic the only content in the game is the 6 cities?

All they are delaying is the Capital city of four races, NOT the entire area in which they quest/reside.

STOP WHINING!

• KnightTrueKnightTrue Member Posts: 3

Its pretty much the same thing.  When your in the gnome/dwarf zone you hang out in IronForge and fight there.  When your in the undead area you hang out in Undercity not that lame village.  Etc. etc.  Taking away the capital cities takes away what we were going to fight over.  It takes about a TON of pvp and bragging rights.  Guilds now can only assault 2 major capitals, when we should have been able to assault 6 and fight over them.   2/3 of the content was removed, as this is a supposed PVP game as they say, not a PVE driven game.  Yet removing these cities turns the game back to PVE, which isn't what was intended in the first place.

I don't know if you played on any pvp servers in WoW, but guilds that had 200+ members regularly took over and camped the cities.  With only 2 capital cities to fight over, its going to be locked down immediately by a zerg guild with 500+ members.  Where will the other guilds fight over or go?  Smaller crews need places to fight over, and having 6 capital cities gave many more options for PVP.  If you think they're going to add them back in anytime after release your kidding yourself.  Maybe a year later or more.

• DreawingDreawing Member Posts: 362

Okay... I don't care if all capitol city's are in.. makes battles much more bigger. more lvl 40s..

But im crying because the blackguard won't be in .. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! someone kill me!!! PLZZZ!!!!!!!!!

I want my Blackguard god dammit.. I'm crying so bad. Well guess it's the chaos chosen... or the high elves shadow warrior...

I want to die!!

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

No matter how you spin it this is bad news.  Some of us, including me, may think that Mythic is handling it well and making the right choice of releasing less polished content instead of too much unpolished content if they HAVE to release it soon and absolutely cannot push back the launch.

However, they are releasing a clearly unfinished game instead of pushing it back which will hurt them, and is dissapointing.  They are cutting content which is never a good thing.

There is no way to put a positive spin on this.  It is bad news all around, and it makes me sad, but it is still better news than: "Most of our cities are unpolished and underdeveloped and 1/4th of our classes suck, but we are going to release like this anyway."

No matter how you spin it a MASSIVE amount of content just got cut, and we aren't going to see it anytime soon as launches take from 3-12 months to iron out bugs and start really bringing on content. 

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

I see the loss of the 4 classes at launch as a major negative. There is no doubt about it; the game has been in development for years now, and is failing to deliver a significant "chunk" of the game experience in the form of 25% of its classes.

However, what I *DO* like about this announcement is the honest and appologetic tone. Let's face it, they could have strung people along into the time just before launch, when pre-orders were full set and people's expectations finalized, to release this information. They could have made promises that they would "do their best" to have it ready for launch. Instead, they have looked at the quality of the components and made careful decisions what would have the worst effect on the perception of the game, and delayed those components.

I honestly think this is a smart business approach, and will help them considerably if they continue to follow the same methodology down the road. Obviously no one is happy about these details, but this sets a great tone for the 'relationship' many of us plan to build with the game and Mythic through playing WAR.

I do love reading Mark's 'spin-jobs' though; it reminds me of my day-to-day as a Project Manager all too well ;). Honest but optimistic... that's the way to do it.

• VisaxVisax Member Posts: 76

Im disapointed that there cuttting some of the coolest classes, seemed to good to be true

At least they didnt lie to us or tried to cover the truth up like other mmos. I only hope they do add the cut content sooner rather then never and that it realeses with a high degree of  polish and content like there claiming its gonna have. We can only hope the best

_____

• SepulcherSepulcher Member Posts: 216

The news sucks but as long as the gameplay is good I will still play.

Also losing 4 classes out of 24 is 1/6=16.666%  not 25%.  Learn mathematics please.

I want to see the classes added withing 3months of launch, I would be patient upto 6 month.

I want to see the other four capitals in the game within 6 months, I would be patient upto 12 months.

If they fail to accomplish those goals the gameplay better be so phenomenal that I won't even remember what was cut out.  If it isn't,  I will be very disapointed.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Amazing, they actually finally learned something from DAoC.  Too many classes is bad.

Cutting the capital cities is good too, less complexity and bugs at launch.  Wow I actually might change my mind and suscribe to this game, maybe nerf-a-lot Mythic has learned something.

As to the whiners, you can look forward to the first expansion for the missing classes.  At least hopefully now the existing classes will be somewhat balanced at launch.

Never thought I would see Mark Jacobs admit to the mistakes they made in DAoC.  Guess I will have to give him a break in the future.

Hopefully this new security company can control the cheaters using all the hacks that were plentiful in DAoC.  Nothing worse than a cheater in an pvp game.

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

Only good thing I can see in all this crappy news, is the honesty of Mythic. Hats off to them for not going the Funcom route. But what happened to the "we'll release the game when it's ready" philosophy? Was it just empty words from the PR guys? Sure seems like it

My interest in this game is really starting to drop (fast!), now it looks to me like we'll be playing another half-finished game that investors rush to earn a quick buck. I have just read the article right now, and maybe I'll look at it differently in a week, but right now I no longer believe in this game.

Had to adjust my hype rating from 8.0 to 4.0

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Dammit ....all the stuff I thought Mythic would never do!!

Why not just postpone and deliver as promised. Cutting these classes MAKES NO SENSE.

First of all Choppas - there are no ORCS now, only 2 gobbos and a black orc for WARHAMMER?

And no Knight of the Burning Sun = no empire knights??? You have Witch Hunters but no knights of the empire???

This makes no sense. And cutting down to two cities?? Why is that?

You are starting to go the Funcom route. And if this news stands I am going to skip WAR all together!!!

I spent all this time defending WAR and Mythic for year. Now I feel like a sucker.

/I am out till they take this back - if this is the route for WAR then I am out. Delay rather than cut content.

Draccan

p.s. why are all MMO companies the same!?!?!?!?

*hugely dissappointed face* :mad:

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

I guess we are gonna have to wait for 2009 before a new good, complete, finished mmo will come out!!

• freeidfreeid Member Posts: 92

Wow 4/6 of the siege content cut...I mean....ouch.

At least they have been up front about it, I guess and did not wait until people bought the game to tell them most of the content they were promised was either not in or broken (funcom).

But still..I mean Jeeze, has anyone thought about what this means for all axed capitols build up area?, they have just made the point in capturing them pointless..hell do we even know if those areas are still in?

Maybe this is not just a 2 thirds of SIEGE content axed but 2 thirds of CONTENT gone.........

:(

I guess my antisipation of this game has just dropped 2 thirds too, a crying shame.

• SortranSortran Member Posts: 148

Though this news is sad, I tend to think that they cities were not up to what they wanted, and may be same way for the players. As for the class cuts these will hurt as alot of people wanted to play those 4 classes. One thing for certain that i am glad to see, is Mythic dumping EA. EA has done very little in terms of being a good publisher and their methods tend to annoy alot of gamers due to the fact they force companies to put products out for a quick buck.

I think that mythic will add the cities and lost classes down the road when they believe they have them ready, and I know most of the players will miss both cities and classes until that time. Maybe, just maybe we will get a quality product instead of a shoddy crappy MMO which seems to be the main drive these days.

Playing: Not much actively.
    Games played: to many to list, been playing MMO's since 2001
    --------------------------

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

Good article all around. I'm glad they are more concerned with polish and making the game "fabulously" fun, rather than try to shoehorn in as much as possible and then fix it post launch. Good for Mythic. I'm even more glad I sprung for the CE.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Draccan

Dammit ....all the stuff I thought Mythic would never do!!

Why not just postpone and deliver as promised. Cutting these classes MAKES NO SENSE.

First of all Choppas - there are no ORCS now, only 2 gobbos and a black orc for WARHAMMER?

And no Knight of the Burning Sun = no empire knights??? You have Witch Hunters but no knights of the empire???
    I don't really see your problem, the classes will come once they have found a way to make them work. Putting in classes that everyone will complain about and not play DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

This makes no sense. And cutting down to two cities?? Why is that?
    They cut 4 cities.

You are starting to go the Funcom route. And if this news stands I am going to skip WAR all together!!!
    The FunCOM route would be to announce 4 new classes and 4 additional cities although they do not exist at all. I appreciate the honesty and the balls this announcement shows informing the players before they buy the product.

I spent all this time defending WAR and Mythic for year. Now I feel like a sucker.

To the poster saying there is now 2/3rd siege content missing: You should go read the newsletters there is not just Capital City Sieges.

I admire Mythic for the honesty and a strong comitment to QUALITY over QUANTiTY!

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"