Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Mark Jacobs Interview Part Two

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

In part two of his interview with Mythic Entertainment VP and General Manager Mark Jacobs, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood reports that the game will be implementing Punkbuster and cutting four capitol cities and four careers from the launch features of the game.

Punkbuster

First, Mark Jacobs, the VP and General Manager of Mythic Entertainment, announced to MMORPG.com that the studio has partnered with well-known anti-cheat company Punkbuster in an effort to make sure that their upcoming RvR game (Warhammer Online) is as free from cheaters, hacks and the like as possible.

“As you know,” said Jacobs in an interview, “we have fought a long battle against hackers, cheaters and other assorted slimeballs who think that it’s both fun and fair for them to have an advantage over other players.”

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Kuji-KiriKuji-Kiri Member Posts: 170

Only 2 capital cities and my favorite class was cut from launch. Not buying this. Sorry. :(

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Originally posted by Kuji-Kiri

Only 2 capital cities and my favorite class was cut from launch. Not buying this. Sorry. :(

/shrug

Actually.. I have no problem with this.

These are MASSIVE cities.. they're going to be hard to defend, hard to invade.. Why do you need 6?

I'd rather have 2 great cities, than 2 OK cities and 4 mediocre ones.

While I'm disappointed that they are also cutting 4 classes out, I still understand why. They're really trying to give us a great experience. Any hack company can throw classes in the mix (Or in the case of WoW, just give the EXACT SAME CLASSES to everyone) and call it a day. It takes quite a bit of conviction to say "These classes/cities just aren't good enough." to a ravenous fanbase.

I say Kudos to Mythic. There's always expansions and patches. And since Mythic has a history of giving free expansions, I have no doubt a good deal of what's being left out will be given to us at some point down the line.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I personally agree with the move to only have 2 capital cities.  It'll make the fights for the cities much more epic.  I'm sad Choppa is gone though. :(  I was hoping to relive my days as a dwarf zerker.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

I KNEW there were problems with the other capitols and the 4 classes since there was nothing being released on them.

Very very lame and very disappointing - This announcement is going to lose them some players.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

Yeah, look at how many expansions DAoC has had. As long as they don't pull another ToA I can wait for more cities and hopefully the addition of the cut classes. Part of me would like to see some elves and dwarves helping out in Altdorf instead of seeing only other Empire players. I can't honestly say I'm 100% happy with the decision but I'm not mad about it either. I know alot of people will be, and the trolls will flock to this like vultures, but at least Mythic has the guts to tell us now instead of at launch.

"Wooooooops we forgot four cities sorry 'bout that! Glad you bought the game though, adios suckers!"

None of that.

EDIT: Terrible example I know but it's the game I spent the most time in...

Stormwind is really the populated city for Alliance in WoW. I mean, Ironforge has some too, but far less. Darnassus and Exodar, haha, you'll be lucky to find 10 people there. But WoW has 4 capital cities (Darnassus is lame so really only 3) and they didn't do that great a job with detail and such on them. Can't speak for Horde but I'd imagine it's similar (there was no one in Silvermoon when we raided it!). In WAR having 3 capital cities would be more important, but perhaps we'd see the same thing...people flocking to Altdorf or the Inevitable City anyways. This way it provides a localized, strong defense, and the cities will be 10x better then WoW's.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

Well they are keeping their promise from months ago when they promised they wouldn't put a class or feature in that was subpar and that they'd be up front about it.   It'll suck to wait post launch for the other capitals but atleast it means there'll be new fresh huge patches of content to enjoy once the rest starts getting stale. (plus he's not lying when he says the capitols are huge and FULL of things to do it won't leave anyone at a disadvantage especially if Tier 4 content across all races counts towards the main capital for a while).

As for the missing classes I really really really really wanted to play a choppa but I still get a squig herder and the best / coolest classes in the game are still in so I'll have to deal.   Hopefully these classes make it into game post launch because when they add other capitols it'll suck to be an Empire player when the dwarf & high elf tanks leave unless you build your group as a dps destroying awsomeness which would work since the 2 tanks being left out are fromt he empire vs chaos realm lol.

Disappointment factor 0

Sadness factor over news 8

Still buying?   Hell yea there's tons of other stuff to do content that comes post launch is always a good refreshing thing.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I just hope they learn from WoW not to make only 1 of each focal point (AH, Bank) so as to cut down on bogging and clusters, especially with collision detection.

I'm sure Mythic will add these guys back in if they get them working right, they did good work in DAoC with adding really unique classes with most expansions.  Not to mention they're generally not afraid of releasing free content if its owed to their players.  (Housing, New Frontiers, etc.)

I'm not ready to throw bricks yet.

• neowindneowind Member Posts: 11

I have to say I was expecting some GOOD news not bad news on the game today.  Oh well.  I really think they should have pushed for at least 4 Capitol cities at launch.  As for the 4 classes getting cut, I know there will be a HUGE dissapointment that Choppa is gone.  I know that a bunch of people were planning on playing this class at launch.  This also only offers 1 ORC choice now right?

And just another thing, we've forgotten all about their efforts to stop hackers/cheaters! I know Mythic's always hated them and I think pretty much everyone (except the hackers/cheaters) hates them too. It won't make up for whatever dissapointment/sadness came from the capital and class decisions but it's still a good thing.

A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Originally posted by Popori

I just hope they learn from WoW not to make only 1 of each focal point (AH, Bank) so as to cut down on bogging and clusters, especially with collision detection.
    I'm sure Mythic will add these guys back in if they get them working right, they did good work in DAoC with adding really unique classes with most expansions.  Not to mention they're generally not afraid of releasing free content if its owed to their players.  (Housing, New Frontiers, etc.)
    I'm not ready to throw bricks yet.

They did....if you read up on the cities every tavern (there are multiple ones in a city) has an Auction House and each district in a city has a bank ( i think ). So there's multiple locations within a city to conduct business tho I'm guessing most players will flock to the first one they find lol.   Atleast when the other cities come up that'll spread it out even more.

• Kuji-KiriKuji-Kiri Member Posts: 170

Honestly, I'm disappointed with the Capital Cities, but from pretty much the first day I visited WAR's website, I had myself begged down for a Choppa, and from that point on, nothing else. I can't play anything but, sorry.

No ones' trying to tell you to do otherwise or convince you to stay so whats the point of the repeating your post?

Personally 2 major cities that are awsome completely outway 6 cities with 4 of them sucking wind and 2 being alright.   Its a good design decision.  They'll release the other 4 they're not cancelled they're just not launch date ready.  If you want half ass done promises and launch material thats broken go visit the AoC forums and see how fun that is to deal with.

Honestly, I'm disappointed with the Capital Cities, but from pretty much the first day I visited WAR's website, I had myself begged down for a Choppa, and from that point on, nothing else. I can't play anything but, sorry.

Yeah if I made a Destruction alt that's one class I woulda tried. But you should keep an eye on the game anyways, DAoC has added classes in expansions so there's a good chance it'll happen with WAR. Alot of people want to kill as Orcs, and go berserk and smash stunties, so the Choppa is their only choice.

/Shrug

Everyone has a right to their opinion. I say, "Sorry friend. You're loss".

You're denying yourself other experiences you may find equally or more enjoyable and joining the party late. All for what? A rigid belief that you never even had the opportunity to try? How do you know you would have liked the class to begin with?

Not tyring to change your mind or anything.. But I can't help but be a little saddened when a potentially good person makes these kinds of choices. And I'm not talking about just games either.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Kinda bummed about the hacking of the Knight of the Blazing Sun and the Blackguard however, I suppose I would have been more bummed if those two classes were boring.  Can't wait to hear more about hte Magus and the WHite Lion though :)

• kintrikkintrik Member Posts: 194

ok.....

Couple of questions then.

Since there are onyl goign to be 2 capitol cities how is that going to affect the tiers? It has been said for over a year that each racial paring has teiar 1-4 and tier 4 has t he capitols in them. Now that the other teir 4 zones dont' have capitols what is the poitn for those zones? Will the influence points spill over to the empire/chaos teir 4 zone to determine if a city can be attacked? Are they removing All of the other races areas? I know they said the other cities will be added post launch, but how long after launch are they targetting? Some answers on this front need to be answered if they expect to keep some customers. Me for one, as I am dwarf player.

For the classes, so that leaves Chaos and High Elfs with 4 classes each and the others with 3.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Originally posted by neowind

I have to say I was expecting some GOOD news not bad news on the game today.  Oh well.  I really think they should have pushed for at least 4 Capitol cities at launch.  As for the 4 classes getting cut, I know there will be a HUGE dissapointment that Choppa is gone.  I know that a bunch of people were planning on playing this class at launch.  This also only offers 1 ORC choice now right?

I can handle only having 2 cities to fight over more than I can handle losing 4 classes. There was a certain balance between the 2 sides because of their archetypes and mirrors. Now that balance has just been tossed.

So Order has a magic tank and Destruction doesn't. Destruction has a heavy tank and Order doesn't. Not really a balanced trade in my eyes.

Also so many people had plans to play certain classes and removing them can really dash any interest they had in the game or force them to a side they don't want to play on to get the playstyle they want.

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76

My only real concern, that by removing capital cities, is that they weren;'t that integral to the game to begin with.

And if that's the case, I am a little less confident in this title. The world and origins of races should play big into this game world!

Ugh..

• cyricsoncyricson Member UncommonPosts: 129

About the cities : Wise choice of Mythic, it is not realistic to have 6 perfect cities with the content they promise us. 2 cities will give us focus and a community sense. All our enemies will be there and we will all be there to fight them.  Imagine 6 different sieges at the same time....anyway, i think its best to have quality over quantity.

About the classes : Extremely bad news :(, i am disappointed but i value honesty and i thank Mythic for giving us exactly that, "We cant fix the classes so we cut them, we hope to add them later". At least they tell us the truth. Imagine if we bought the game and found out that there are 4 classes missing???

Overall, bad news but we now know that we deal with honest people who care about our gaming experience.

Goodbye badass Blackguard.

Originally posted by Distaste

So Order has a magic tank and Destruction doesn't. Destruction has a heavy tank and Order doesn't. Not really a balanced trade in my eyes.

So what your saying is every faction should have a mirror? Some would say that makes for rather dull gameplay.

In my opinion, it gives one side a distinct advantage over the other, and a distinct disadvantage. You have to use tactics to exploit those weakness and play to your own strengths, and I think it makes for much more interesting gameplay.  DAoC had that, and I really liked that about it. It emphasizes that your choices have consequences. Picking one faction over they other when they're equal essentially makes it a choice of aesthetics.. and that doesn't intereset me.

• cyricsoncyricson Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Lethality

My only real concern, that by removing capital cities, is that they weren;'t that integral to the game to begin with.
    And if that's the case, I am a little less confident in this title. The world and origins of races should play big into this game world!
    Ugh..

Actually my friend they removed the 4 cities so we could enjoy 2 cities perfectly made unlike any others in any mmorpg

Ugh..

On the contrary, they were, it wasn't an easy decision by a long shot. But to have empty lifeless cities and then Altdorf and the Inevitable City huge and full of life would have been disproportional. If they took the time to make 4 other capitals like Alt and I.C., we would be looking at a middle to late 2009 launch...almost a whole 'nother year. Too long! Hopefully they'll be added in an expansion, even if only two at a time.

Though...I'd rather they put in the cut classes first.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

Sounds like Mythic is doing a bit of "wandering in the desert" to me.My confidence they will make a fall launch has dropped. What's the latest on ORIGINS..if anything   ?

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by cyricson

Ugh..

Actually my friend they removed the 4 cities so we could enjoy 2 cities perfectly made unlike any others in any mmorpg

I understand that and respect it, but... what I meant was, if it's that simple to pull out the capital cities (even for quality reasons) they must have not been that integral to the game play and design.  I thought there would have been major game play subsystems that revolved around them, quest hubs, etc.

And also, it begs the question - when WILL we see them? As part of a patch soon after release? And what about the classes? No doubt there are some people bummed about certain classes being dropped that they no doubt were going to play... they want to know if they'll be in 2 months? 6 months? Paid expansion? etc.

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

I'm pritty much ok with the 2 city thing, if certain things are only accessable via the capitals then only having the 1 area to access them now whould mean losing that area is SO much more a bigger blow to the side, it's not like the 'oh dear, i'll just have to wander over to the other cities to do my stuff'... now it's 'WTF!!! I CAN'T DO ^%££% WHY THE &*%$£$ DID WE LOSE!', I'm liking this a little more.. but as players stated how willthis change the RVR, we dunno no one does, lets hope the beta testers and help figure it out (wish we all could but)

Class wise: yea we lose those 4 but... theres nothing stopping them adding them in later in a content update, sure it may hinder a few sales for players wanting to onlyy play those classes but i think it's goona be ok.

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!