Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Mark Jacobs Part One - What's in a Name?

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

On Wednesday, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood spoke with EA Mythic VP and General Manager Mark Jacobs about four different announcements from the studio. Part One announces a name change for the company from EA mythic back to Mythic Entertainment. Tomorrow's part two will reveal three more announcements concerning Warhammer Online.

Mythic Entertainment. It’s a name that we haven’t really heard much of since June 20th, 2006 when the company known best for their Realm vs. Realm style MMORPG Dark Age of Comelot and their upcoming MMORPG Warhammer Online announced that it had been acquired by publishing giant Electronic Arts (EA). After the announcement the company went through a name change and a re-branding, including a new logo, that saw the studio re-named “EA Mythic”.

Today, MMORPG.com learned that EA Mythic will be going through another transition as the company reclaims the Mythic Entertainment name.

Read the whole interview here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• JquikJquik Member Posts: 130

Enormous Announcement = Beta date? :) :)

• RJO_RJO_ Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by Jquik

You betcha... Mythic has embargoed the remainder of the interview because it is time sensitive I bet  and I imagine beta is the reason :)

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

I don't want to ruin the surprise, but I also don't want you to get your hopes up. No, it has nothing to do with beta, or any other date for that matter.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Originally posted by Stradden

I don't want to ruin the surprise, but I also don't want you to get your hopes up. No, it has nothing to do with beta, or any other date for that matter.

You hear that sound? That's the sound of hopes being dashed against the rocks...

• RJO_RJO_ Member Posts: 174

Boo :)

• SundersGhostSundersGhost Member Posts: 224

Thanks Jon.  Disappointing as it is, I am happy to have that clarification rather than 523452 posts about the Beta announcement coming tomorrow.  Heh.

• DJDizzyDJDizzy Member Posts: 119

ITS A CONSPIRACY, hes definately a mythic employee

Your culture will adapt to serve us.
    Resistance is futile

• trillahtrillah Member CommonPosts: 158

let me guess...

announcement  1 :With a subcription for  warhammer online, you get to play Dark Age of Camelot for free.

announcement  2 : Sanya is coming back! woot (Ihope)

announcement  3 :no idea

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

Aww, no news on Dark Age of Camelot. At least they're going back to good old MYTHIC! No EA bs.

• chukky4chukky4 Member Posts: 1

Announcement = WAR pushed back to Q1 2009?

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

2. CE sold out

3. open beta access to all pre-orders CE and not CE. 

just my guess

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• tikovootikovoo Member Posts: 289

No matter what they do they can not take the EA away.

Same EA doing business as usual with hostile takeovers of other companies and ruining them.

Take 2 anyone?

If they can really leave Mythic alone then thats great, just dont see that happening down the road.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

The announcement...

The reason that EAMythic was changed back to Mythic is that EA has decided Mythic and WAR = epic fail.  It was determined that it would be the best course of action to remove the EA from Mythic now.. rather than after the sale.

After the announcement Mark Jacobs will state that Mythic is being resold the rights to their properties for "a very good price".

Mark Jacobs will also announce that he is hiring Brad McQuaid to be the VP of operations at Mythic.  It has been said that Mark believes Brad is the only other person alive who can spin a turd as well as he can.

Within 3 months it will be announced that they have signed with SOE to co-publish WAR...   

Then pigs will fly.

At least 50% of this is true.. but even I am not sure which 50%.

(yes I was bored).

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by tikovoo

Same EA doing business as usual with hostile takeovers of other companies and ruining them.

Ok my one serious reply for this thread.

There was NO hostile take over of Mythic by EA.

Mark Jacobs claimed it was in Mythics best interest to sell to EA.

When you consider how much the population of DAoC had already dropped...

That they had canceled the development for the game they were making (the futuristic rome thing.. Emperator or whatever) and that they had obviously paid out money for the rights to WAR...

Most likely they needed a large cash injection... thus they sold.

As to EA ruining companies it aquires... totally agree.

• celdridgeceldridge Member Posts: 188

No beta date that sucks!

As far as the other surprises that are coming they better be good or it will be disappointing. I have been playing Warhammer for many years and I can not wait to finnally play this as an MMO. Please let the news be good and not that the date has been pushed baack again.

• SagaBoySagaBoy Member Posts: 83

Though I can't give a significant reason why, this announcement seems important to me.  Just the removal of EA as a precursor to Mythic feels like a burden has been lifted.  I honestly can't even explain myself.  I just remember reading it and feeling this imaginary elephant being lifted off my shoulders.  How weird is that.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Take 2 anyone?
    If they can really leave Mythic alone then thats great, just dont see that happening down the road.

EA used to acquire companies and mess them up by restructering and taking to much control away from them. Tack on the fact that they would pump out games requardless of how good they actually were.

Now they have a new CEO that is trying to change that image. He is placing more importance on the quality of games. Mythic is a big example of this. Not only are they allowed to make the game they want, they are allowed to take the time they need to make it, and now they are being allowed to keep the Mythic name seperate from EA.

As for Take 2. They have yet to be acquired let alone ruined. It is fairly obvious why EA would want them and that is just pure business there.

Now take a look at C&C 3 Red Alert. They are getting a bunch of the orginal C&C Red Alert devs on the project. I haven't heard anything bad coming from Bioware after they got acquired either.

I think they have learned their lesson about public opinion and game development teams. Honestly though I would trust EA and SOE, SWG was a tragedy but what they did with EQ2(after launch) and Vangaurd shows they can make forward progress, to make another MMO that I would try. As long as they show signs of trying to change in the right direction. Blizzard hasn't really shown me that and they still rely on old IP's to make games.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by SagaBoy

Though I can't give a significant reason why, this announcement seems important to me.  Just the removal of EA as a precursor to Mythic feels like a burden has been lifted.  I honestly can't even explain myself.  I just remember reading it and feeling this imaginary elephant being lifted off my shoulders.  How weird is that.

Did you even read the interview?

"Jacobs also points out that they are still the same company and are still a part of EA"

EA isn't going anywhere, this is just a namechange.

I doubt the upcoming will be very important. If it was, they wouldn't announce it exclusively on this site.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

That's the smartest thing they did since they brought onboard EA (EA + MMORPG = Layoffs)

They'll still be with EA but at least they are getting rid of the name.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by DJDizzy

ITS A CONSPIRACY, hes definately a mythic employee

I am a strong supporter of the grilled cheese option. Who here is with me!

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

So EA is removed from Mythics name, new logo, new face lift. EA Supervision staying the same, but now more behind the curtains, so much that in 3 months only enlightened people remember that EA still owns Mythic, completely. That sounds like PR to me, good PR.

Also who ever suggested that EA is doing this (yes, EA ordered this, Mythic cannot do this kind of changes on its own) to wash it hands off, incase WAR flops, well I think you might be right. Seeing what hapenned to Conan, say what you like, but I wouldn't like my huge entertainment shop to be directly connected to publishing that kind of game =))

Good news anyway, sweet PR to give everything nice look, washing your hands from possible problems, and still keeping the money coming in and control in your hands. I wouldn't have expected anything less from EA. Would you?

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• tikovootikovoo Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Distaste

Take 2 anyone?

EA used to acquire companies and mess them up by restructering and taking to much control away from them. Tack on the fact that they would pump out games requardless of how good they actually were.

Now they have a new CEO that is trying to change that image. He is placing more importance on the quality of games. Mythic is a big example of this. Not only are they allowed to make the game they want, they are allowed to take the time they need to make it, and now they are being allowed to keep the Mythic name seperate from EA.

As for Take 2. They have yet to be acquired let alone ruined. It is fairly obvious why EA would want them and that is just pure business there.

Now take a look at C&C 3 Red Alert. They are getting a bunch of the orginal C&C Red Alert devs on the project. I haven't heard anything bad coming from Bioware after they got acquired either.

I think they have learned their lesson about public opinion and game development teams. Honestly though I would trust EA and SOE, SWG was a tragedy but what they did with EQ2(after launch) and Vangaurd shows they can make forward progress, to make another MMO that I would try. As long as they show signs of trying to change in the right direction. Blizzard hasn't really shown me that and they still rely on old IP's to make games.

You wouldnt hear anything bad coming from Bioware yet because of the CEO's former dealings with them and the cash profit he made. Take 2's share prices have been all over the place since EA marched into the shareholders office, but yes its business. It's good C&C original devs are coming back, true.

EA's plan is that lets remove our name from Mythic, let Mythic spin it's PR, in case war fails then at least only a few will know but at the end of the day we still have the Bioware back up mmo.

In other news....

Mr Jacobs was spotted leaving EA HQ, with a smile on his face and showing the public whats happening.

Pull that Wool over your Eyes!

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

Originally posted by Netspook
    Originally posted by SagaBoy Though I can't give a significant reason why, this announcement seems important to me. Just the removal of EA as a precursor to Mythic feels like a burden has been lifted. I honestly can't even explain myself. I just remember reading it and feeling this imaginary elephant being lifted off my shoulders. How weird is that.

Did you even read the interview?
    "Jacobs also points out that they are still the same company and are still a part of EA"
    EA isn't going anywhere, this is just a namechange.
    I doubt the upcoming will be very important. If it was, they wouldn't announce it exclusively on this site.

Did YOU even read the interview?

The CEO basically said that they are doing a complete about-face on the way they handle their subsidiaries, which is fantastic news for those of us who are familiar with EA buyouts. They have eaten probably a dozen companies over the years who made fantastic games, only for those companies to never be heard from again. To find out now that they are no longer interested in strangling these companies to death should give new hope to we who are interested in the gaming industry.

The removal of "EA" as part of Mythic's name is symbolic in the way EA's handling of the company has changed. Yes, they are still part of EA, but being removed is the constant reminder that Mythic now has someone looking over their shoulders. We can worry less about WAR's success knowing that EA will keep to themselves more than they have in the past.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    While this is the end of the announcements for tonight, log on to MMORPG.com tomorrow for a report on the rest of that interview that includes three other exclusive announcements specifically addressing Warhammer Online.

.. It's tomorrow.

What's up? :)

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Coldren

While this is the end of the announcements for tonight, log on to MMORPG.com tomorrow for a report on the rest of that interview that includes three other exclusive announcements specifically addressing Warhammer Online.

.. It's tomorrow.

What's up? :)

Just finished writing the article. Should be up shortly.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com