Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Men" and HKO

Before I start this, I want to say Im not pointing at anyone in particular, this is just a general thought and amused opinion.

For a very long time now Ive been thoroughly amused by "men" and their rampant sexual insecurity. And then along comes HKO, and its like a wildfire in California.

Comments everywhere about how guys wont play this because if their friends found them playing it, they would have their "man card" taken away. Wtf? Who uses that term anyway? Thats like my dad talking about "this mans army". lol

Seriously, what is it about this IP that threatens your sexuality? It's like "manly men" being confronted with Ru Paul or something. xD Hello Kitty is a girly thing, so what? God isnt going to come down to earth and bitch-slap you for being a closet gay... pink isnt a sin, and liking something cute doesnt mean youre going to... well I'll keep that PG and not finish that thought. hehe.

Anyway! If you like the game, the play it, stop being so afraid fo what everyone else will think if they find you playing it! Geez...

Also, why isnt this game linked yet in the forums list? >.<

Comments

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827

no no u got it all wrong, its not "sexual insecurity"

its just funny to point your finger at the "men" that play games like this, or men who like the colour pink. u make fun of them (if u know them irl)

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• kitsunegirlkitsunegirl Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by 3on1

its just funny to point your finger at the "men" that play games like this, or men who like the colour pink. u make fun of them (if u know them irl)

Then what is it if its not sexual insecurity?

Also I do no such thing... I have no problems with guys who play this game or like pink. Its the infantile "men" who feel threatened by other guys who play this game like pink that I think are funny.

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606
    Originally posted by kitsunegirl

Comments everywhere about how guys wont play this because if their friends found them playing it, they would have their "man card" taken away. Wtf? Who uses that term anyway? Thats like my dad talking about "this mans army". lol
    Who uses that term? MEN do....
    Seriously, what is it about this IP that threatens your sexuality? It's like "manly men" being confronted with Ru Paul or something. xD Hello Kitty is a girly thing, so what? God isnt going to come down to earth and bitch-slap you for being a closet gay... pink isnt a sin, and liking something cute doesnt mean youre going to... well I'll keep that PG and not finish that thought. hehe.
    Yes it does.....

Anyway! If you like the game, the play it, stop being so afraid fo what everyone else will think if they find you playing it! Geez...
    If we never try it, well never have the chance to like it....
    There was a vote and we won ...sorry

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• kitsunegirlkitsunegirl Member Posts: 525

Ah yes, thank you for speaking up on behalf of "real men". lol

You can go back to your knuckle-dragging now. xD

(Im teasing btw, dont take it seriously).

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Playing Hello Kitty is not a manly thing to do,  atleast thats what our society  says.  But if a man wants to play the game I could care less, I woun't think he was gay or think he is any less of a man.  When I play other mmo's I tend to create female characters, IDK why I guess I just like eye candy, plus  Im a big nerd and shy and can't keep a girlfiend when I end up getting one. 

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

Before I start this, I want to say Im not pointing at anyone in particular, this is just a general thought and amused opinion.

For a very long time now Ive been thoroughly amused by "men" and their rampant sexual insecurity. And then along comes HKO, and its like a wildfire in California.

There is nothing that challenges my sexuality about Hello Kitty Online. I just find the Hello Kitty IP a dull, blatantly over-hyped and over-appreciated travesty, which I do not want to have any part of. This is coming from a person who enjoys reading the Moomin books and  likes Pokemon.

I simply don't get it. Let me fire back at you OP. What is it about Hello Kitty that you find so appealing? Cute has been done better. Pink has been done better. Girly has been done better. Why Hello Kitty?

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Ah yes, thank you for speaking up on behalf of "real men". lol
    You can go back to your knuckle-dragging now. xD

(Im teasing btw, dont take it seriously).

Haha, this was quite funny.  Truth be told I don't think it has anything to do with sexuality as much as it would be facing the ridicule from friends.  People in general have a tendency to be very cruel when it comes to something they view as being "out of the norm".

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • ZenekiaZenekia Member Posts: 14

For a little insight in to human males, there are basically two types of men, alpha and beta.  Most men, like most wolves/dogs are betas.  All betas constantly try to prove why they are manly in situations when it cannot be disputed.  They will not challenge alphas usually, and when they do it often turns out to be nothing but talk.  These men are not secure in their position and constantly feel pressure to prove they are worthy of their position, and in human society, breeding rights (which means they attract women).  Alpha males, on the other hand, know they are manly.  They are the men you see wearing pink, walking a small dog and making 'cutesy' noises at it, or wearing a kilt.  They are also the men who would play HKO and tell you what they enjoy about it.  Homosexual men are not beta men, nor are they alpha, in the traditional hierarchy - they do not fit in to this discussion. 

Now, this alpha-ness and beta-ness is not something that is chosen, or can be changed.  You are born this way and your genes tell you to behave in the proscribed manner.  So beta men out there, don't feel bad about not wanting to play HKO, you need the 'manly' boost not doing so provides.  And alphas out there, enjoy the game if you play it, and don't play it if you don't want to.

Hope this help you all understand men a little more

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542

Interesting thread.. I suppose I wouldn't mind playing it if it was entertaining.. I found myself playing my daughters club penguin account for all the little arcade games it has.  And yes, I dressed the penguin up in rewards I earned, hoping she would be surprised.  Anyway, I could care 2 shits what other "men" think of me. If it's a good game, I'll play it. 

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by 3on1

Then what is it if its not sexual insecurity?

Also I do no such thing... I have no problems with guys who play this game or like pink. Its the infantile "men" who feel threatened by other guys who play this game like pink that I think are funny.

I'm a man, I love the color Pink and Hello Kitty!  Participated in the Closed Beta and eagerly awaiting the Open Beta!  Its a fun game.  Nothing at all wrong with enjoyng a cute game!  Just like any other guy though sometimes its neat to blow stuff up, but you don't have to be blowing stuff up in every game you play.

In this one you get to beat the tar out of starfish with a broom, come on thats fun yeah! 

Oh and yeah I could care less what my friends and family or anyone here thinks about my choices...I'm playing cause its fun...and especially cute.  It doesn't have to always be gritty, post-apocalyptic looking to be enjoyable as most of the new gen games seem to look and be!

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Zenekia

For a little insight in to human males, there are basically two types of men, alpha and beta.  Most men, like most wolves/dogs are betas.  All betas constantly try to prove why they are manly in situations when it cannot be disputed.  They will not challenge alphas usually, and when they do it often turns out to be nothing but talk.  These men are not secure in their position and constantly feel pressure to prove they are worthy of their position, and in human society, breeding rights (which means they attract women).  Alpha males, on the other hand, know they are manly.  They are the men you see wearing pink, walking a small dog and making 'cutesy' noises at it, or wearing a kilt.  They are also the men who would play HKO and tell you what they enjoy about it.  Homosexual men are not beta men, nor are they alpha, in the traditional hierarchy - they do not fit in to this discussion. 
    Now, this alpha-ness and beta-ness is not something that is chosen, or can be changed.  You are born this way and your genes tell you to behave in the proscribed manner.  So beta men out there, don't feel bad about not wanting to play HKO, you need the 'manly' boost not doing so provides.  And alphas out there, enjoy the game if you play it, and don't play it if you don't want to.
    Hope this help you all understand men a little more

This is an INCREDIBLY narrow view of things.  There is no such division of "alpha and beta" as you imply.  There are only peoples viewpoints, and yours my friend is not a good one.

Edit: Ok, after fuming at the ears for a little bit I re-read your post and it makes a little more sense.  I apologize for jumping on you so quickly. . .carry on

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • havelhavel Member Posts: 36

I mentioned in another post about the wowinsider article.

There is definitely a fascination about pink, HKO and the whole hardcore male gamer scenes.

I truly believe this to be a Wii phenomena, when Nintendo announced at the time its Nintendo Revolution, how many actually took it serious? When they changed it to the Wii it was the butt of many ugly jokes, all from the Xbox and PS generation.

Look who'se laughing now?

• julez79julez79 Member Posts: 19

Alpha and beta are categories that can be applied to men, but it's a very simplistic approach and doesn't really do a good job of describing human behaviour. We have more complex social interactions than animals like wolves, for whom alpha and beta work very well.

It's just a matter of security. If you look at Hello Kitty and feel threatened, you're insecure. If you look at Hello Kitty Online and lash out at someone who does like it, you're insecure and just trying to compensate with some manly aggression.

A key way to identify insecurity in people (men and women) is to look at how they react to something or someone different. People who are comfortable and relaxed will let it be. People who are insecure will tend to try to tear it down because it threatens them (or their game) somehow.

Just look at the insane number of immature WoW players who feel they have to attack every other game out there, from the excellent LOTRO to the as yet unavailable HKO.

Looking on the bright side, at least HKO will not suffer from the usual numbskulls who point at a game and scream "WoW clone!"

--------------------------
    JULIE xx

• PrinnySquadPrinnySquad Member Posts: 90

I guess it's because most people don't bother to think.

Gender roles are defined by culture. It has nothing to do with your sex on any biological level, just societal guidelines that happened to emerge.

Here is an example: In some old cultures, women farmed. In some, men farmed. A person of the opposite-normal-gender that did "women's work" or "men's work" was often ridiculed simply because it wasn't "the norm." However, farming isn't intrinsically male or female. In fact, very few things are.

You can see that in a lot of things: language, names, behavior guidelines, fashion, and other expectations. Women wearing pants in medevial Europe was as crazy as a guy wearing a mini-skirt nowadays. However, over the recent years, a lot of male fashions have become acceptable for women to wear. Times a'change.

So anyway, people who do things out of the expected norm, a norm that is only defined as "normal" because the society in qeustion happened to grow in that manner, they are ridiculed. Unfairly, and usually by uncultured people who don't get the above fact.

In short, I agree with you. People just need to grow up, start thinking, or something.

Of course, this type of behavior is not male-exclusive. This specific instance is, but women are just as guilty of this in different ways.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i dont think men feel sexually insecure about many things.

i play a sport and we have 2 gay guys in our team and no one gives a toss about it.  the opposition tease them about it (sledging) but no one feels threatened by it or become aggressive over it.  i think if you were "caught" playing HKO then you would be teased because of how silly and childish the game is.

teasing people for liking the colour pink and playing "wussy" games is something i would expect from a primary school kid

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• xseekxxseekx Member Posts: 5

You know, if some guys really do want to play this and not feel insecure in the game world, then just pick a female type character....

Im not really gonna play this but just some food for thought..

• ilovehkoilovehko Member Posts: 2

I think it's a normal thing in society for someone to seek the approval of his peers. Not saying everyone does this or that it's a bad thing, but I think it's very common. Hence, if your peers have a "man does not like cute" POV, then the tendency would probably be to avoid it too.

So mostly, IMO, it's about avoiding. Many times, people decide beforehand what they do and do not like.

All that said, there was a decent number of male Closed Beta testers in HKO, and they were very professional with their suggestions and feedback on the game. They didn't band together, make any snide remarks about the game (or Hello Kitty) -- they took it as it was and were great players (like most of our CB testers). Many spoke from the perspective of true gamers, and for that we admire and appreciate them.

So when the game comes out, who knows, maybe those with preconceptions of the game could take a shot at it. ;]

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I actually plan to give the game a shot.  Hell, I've given lesser ones their chance...I see no cause to deny HKO its chance to stand on its own merits.  I also happen to be a man, married, and never one to have many issues when dealing with the opposite sex either.  I suppose I would then lack the proper insecurities required to be a "hater'.

Frankly, at this point....HKO has just as much chance to kick ass as anything else.  I don't see any of the "men" games rocking socks off these days.  I'd actually be a major supporter of the "slap in the face" an HKO success would give this god forsaken industry.  It would be hilarious to see how SOE felt after realizing that, not only did they lose practically ALL of their market share to Blizzard....but that the greatest triad of cute, cute, and more cute also tore a second hole in their morally void anuses.

Hell, forget having a good game.  I'd give these guys a single paid month just to see THAT happen.

• Calealen_FinCalealen_Fin Member Posts: 4

Hmmm, I'm a guy. Played HKO and it doesn't make me less of a man... what's the issue then?

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I suppose it comes down to something pretty simple. Most men love cute things - IE cute girls to hang out with look at etc. Only wierd males that I know of like to be the cute thing. To play an MMO usually means for most people to enter the world and envision yourself as being what that world represents. So to walk into an MMO world based on cuteness to envision yourself as the center of that cuteness is just a little wierd and odd, definately not for me :) . I do think though there is potentially a huge untapped market of females that would love that sort of thing and so I say go for it to them.

I dont know a single thing about this MMO and the closest I have come to the Hello Kitty world is a girl I knew about 5 years ago really loved the Hello Kitty stuff and even then I pretty much figured it was a girly thing and left it at that.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287
    Originally posted by Maelkor

I suppose it comes down to something pretty simple. Most men love cute things - IE cute girls to hang out with look at etc. Only wierd males that I know of like to be the cute thing. To play an MMO usually means for most people to enter the world and envision yourself as being what that world represents. So to walk into an MMO world based on cuteness to envision yourself as the center of that cuteness is just a little wierd and odd, definately not for me :) . I do think though there is potentially a huge untapped market of females that would love that sort of thing and so I say go for it to them.
    I dont know a single thing about this MMO and the closest I have come to the Hello Kitty world is a girl I knew about 5 years ago really loved the Hello Kitty stuff and even then I pretty much figured it was a girly thing and left it at that.

Interesting post...it ties in with the insecurity thing well.  See...the very need to play a game and immerse yourself only in the character which best fits what you wish YOU could be is a big red flag for some deep security problems.  I do like to play things which are things I cannot be in real life....but most times my character is simply means to an end in that regard.

I often do not view my character in game as some kind of virtual representation of my own self.  Except in CoX...where I actually MADE a character that looked exactly like me.  That technically WOULD be a virtual exactness of my own personal self.

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

HKO might be a great game, might be incredible. I might give it a shot. If i choose not to give it a shot, it won't be because of the reasons the OP mentioned. It will simply be because i have no knowledge or interest in the IP. So if there's a trial and Im bored, I'll try it. Or if I see someone else playing, I'll check it out.

I would guess this is the same position most guys take-no insecurities involved.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

I own, and wear, pink shirts at times. I happen to like pink, and I'll kindly introduce my steel-toed boots to the ass of anyone who finds the cajones to laugh to my face about it.

Hello Kitty is not "girly".

It's childish.

That's why I won't play it.

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699
    Originally posted by Gishgeron

I actually plan to give the game a shot.  Hell, I've given lesser ones their chance...I see no cause to deny HKO its chance to stand on its own merits.  I also happen to be a man, married, and never one to have many issues when dealing with the opposite sex either.  I suppose I would then lack the proper insecurities required to be a "hater'.
      Frankly, at this point....HKO has just as much chance to kick ass as anything else.  I don't see any of the "men" games rocking socks off these days.  I'd actually be a major supporter of the "slap in the face" an HKO success would give this god forsaken industry. 

Hear here!  I'm a married man without 'issues' regarding my gender/masculinity.  I have played 'dudes' and 'chicks' in just about every game to see if there's any sociological differences on how I'm treated.  Actually there is, but a story for another day.

I too will be trying it.  Admittedly 'cute' doesn't appeal to me, but neither did most genres of the games I play when they first started out.  If it is a good game, I shall play it.  Heck, I'll even discuss strategy with my guy-gamer friends if it turns out to be interesting. 

• havelhavel Member Posts: 36

well hear it from a Man who tried it, it was really fun and I say if Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon is fun for men and boys alike, then so is this!

As if Age of Conan isn't for adults only ;-) I've read my share of violent comics and books in my time and I certainly wasn't an adult male then, since when did Orcs, Wizards and Dragons become the exclusive realm of so called adults?

D&D anyone? how old where you when you met your first Wizard/Orc/Dragon (for the men out there lol)