Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game legit?

Comments

• steve-irwinsteve-irwin Member Posts: 99

AOC combat is for children, no skill involved

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by steve-irwin

Says the person who failed to master it?

But lets not get off topic eh?  Doesn't really matter any more how many years they've been in development, all that matters is one simple thing.  When will the game be released? 

Because in the end, it is all just vaporware until we get to play it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by Kyleran

But lets not get off topic eh?  Doesn't really matter any more how many years they've been in development, all that matters is one simple thing.  When will the game be released? 

Uhhh no...its not. That's not what vaporware means at all. That implies that every single game in development doesn't exist until its on the shelves...

Development in 5 years. It exists. Whether or not it will live up to promises is another story. People like Waterlilly don't know what they're talking about, and It hink I proved that in my last post.

• steve-irwinsteve-irwin Member Posts: 99

Copy and paste where I said I failed to master it? Oh you cant cuz I never said it right?That means your assuming that right? You know what they say about people who assume right? Good!!

I have mastered it, it isnt very hard to master, sorry it was so hard for you to master, different people learn at different speeds, thats all I can say.

AOC is kiddie stuff, my 7 year old nephew owns people all the time in it... nuff said

• PolarizationPolarization Member Posts: 1,410
    Originally posted by SignusM

Originally posted by Waterlily

No one knows if it's legit.
    The problems start when you try to find games these people have made before, you will find NONE.
    That's because they're a new company, just like Mythic was before they made Dark Age of Camelot.
    Exactly 8 years (Razorwax) or 5 years 9 months (Aventurine) is hardy "New"
    When you try to find any other games anyone designing this game have worked on, you will find NONE.
    You've personally checked into the backround of all the developers and found nothing? Prove it.
    Here's one. http://www.henningludvigsen.com/wordpress/?page_id=8
    Yeah but he's the only one worth mentioning.
    When you try to find a business or publisher who has ever supported this game or company, you will find NONE.
    Wrong again. Nice try. They have a very old, wealthy and well respected publisher. http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=58541&highlight=publisher
    There not publishing Darkfall they have only agreed to Distribute it, so its you who are wrong.
    When you try to find out the building they supposidly work in, you will find 0 pictures of them at work.
    What?! Are you serious? You're complaining about not having a picture of their office? You've got to be joking. That's just sad and pathetic. Wasn't there a huge google Earth thread of Hashbrick trying to find their office, making an idiot of himself because he forgot to translate avenue?Well, here they are. http://www.moondawn.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=48

I agree, plenty of pictures of there offices, and we know where they are.
    No one seems to have played a closed beta.
    Wrong. The people who have visited the office in Greece have played and commented on it, but of course people like you will just say its all fake, cause you want to troll. Ahhh I see who you are now. Waterlilly, you never have anything good to say despite all the evidence that gets stacked against you. My troll radar should have gone off right away.
    Asp played the stand alone one year old tech demo from 2006, he clearly says so in his article.
    Please provide evidence that anyone has played Darkfall closed beta, untill then I'll consider you wrong.
    No real gameplay video's, just some video's that anyone could have made that just show some simple landscapes.
    There are about 4-5 videos. One showing combat and large battles. The other showing all the landscapes and systems in place. Another one showing mounts. There are also 500 other screenshots at least. Nice try.
    Hopefully theres alot more to Darkfall then combat, "large battles", lanscapes, "systems" and  mounts that we have not seen in the released videos so far.
    7 years in development.
    About 4 1/2 - 5 actually.
    Claus started planning Darkfall in 1995
    Razorwax started developing Darkfall exactly 8 years ago.
    Aventurine has continued devloping Darkfall for 5 years 9 months.
    Designers have other jobs besides working for darkfall.
     A few artists do. But you know what is listed right next to their other jobs? Darkfall. I guess if Darkfall is fake so are those other jobs.  But I thought you said the people who worked on Darkfall never worked on anything? Uh oh, you're story is starting to eat itself.

If Henning Ludvigson the Art Director of Darkfall have other jobs, others probebly do too, exactly how many, who knows.
    When you think about it, 2 things are possible.
    1. This is a scam and it was just build as a hype machine.
    You mean "built"? I don't really see how a game that doesn't exist has signed with a publisher that releases public stock and makes reports to its stock brokers about its business transactions.
    Remember not the publisher, the distributor. And remember AVE's have no other involvement with Aventurine other then distribution what so ever.
    Tasos is one of the greatest hype machine's ever, anyone reading what he says can see that, exactly what he's hyping hopefully we will find out in less then 6 months.
    2. This is an actual game and the designers are truthful but have no experience or knowledge on how to design a game and the game will come out one day as a low budget title or will never come out.
     Well now you're being sensible. No one knows how this game is going to be. I do believe they have quite a bit of experience with MMOs, and they're making a spiritual successor to Ultima Online. And they've mentioned having deep pockets a few times, don't know from where. We'll see how it is. It exists, but it might suck for all we know. I hope not. 
    Those "deep pockets" are probebly there own, considering the developers and producers are probebly the only significant owners and financiers of Aventurine and Darkfall.
    Unfortunatly number 2 is the more likely then the "WoW killer", "THIS GAME IS AWESOME" type predictions in my opinion.

• KshnikKshnik Member Posts: 57

In my mind, gleaming from what information I could find,  Darkfall began when Aventurine came into the picture.  Yes there was some stirrings before hand but they reorganized and basically started from scratch.  Others may have their own opinion on the start of Darkfall, myself, 6 years in development.  None of this matters.

Razorwax was started by amatuer developers.

Aventurine bought/took over Razorwax as the 'publisher' and also were amatuer developers.

Being Amatuers has caused them to miss expectations that were stated and has caused the longer development.  Who cares.  What matters is whether or not they can produce  a game that will keep our attention for more than a few months.   That has not been seen.  Not by Asp.  Not by anyone.   Remember they just stated they got the whole world up and running for the first time a few weeks ago. 

• rasgrixrasgrix Member Posts: 169

i agree, except it was more like 4-5 years in developement

• CereoCereo Member Posts: 551

To sum up that --

Games Published

PC - Darkfall

I mean is IGN the end all of proof, no. But c'mon they've never made a game before and to expect them to make the best MMO ever? Living up with the huge and massive EA that made UO, I highly doubt it.

And if you're all so good at looking for information, look up the oldest forums you can on Darkfall. You'll find stuff from 6-7 years ago that people were SUPER PUMPED because the beta testing was coming soon and they were getting to play. Then that happened again and again each year until some people are so angry they now vaporware every post. If you beat a dog for too long it’s going to bite you, that's just common sense.

Are there any signs pointing to this game will come out within 1 year from today? Not really.

Are there any signs this game will deliver if it does come out? Definitely not…

The skeptics aren’t really trying to disprove there is information about the game, only that after 7 years of the beta around the corner, its kind of hard to prove otherwise until to comes out or there is good footage. To be honest, I bet this game made a lot of people go Atheist. J

I love UO more than anything and I want a new UO more than anything but give up the pipe dream folks, Darkfall will never deliver the product we want, doubtful to produce it at all.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

The problems start when you try to find games these people have made before, you will find NONE.
    That's because they're a new company, just like Mythic was before they made Dark Age of Camelot.
    When you try to find any other games anyone designing this game have worked on, you will find NONE.
    You've personally checked into the backround of all the developers and found nothing? Prove it.
    When you try to find a business or publisher who has ever supported this game or company, you will find NONE.
    Wrong again. Nice try. They have a very old, wealthy and well respected publisher. http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=58541&highlight=publisher
    When you try to find out the building they supposidly work in, you will find 0 pictures of them at work.
    What?! Are you serious? You're complaining about not having a picture of their office? You've got to be joking. That's just sad and pathetic. Wasn't there a huge google Earth thread of Hashbrick trying to find their office, making an idiot of himself because he forgot to translate avenue?Well, here they are. http://www.moondawn.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=48

Wrong. The people who have visited the office in Greece have played and commented on it, but of course people like you will just say its all fake, cause you want to troll. Ahhh I see who you are now. Waterlilly, you never have anything good to say despite all the evidence that gets stacked against you. My troll radar should have gone off right away.
    No real gameplay video's, just some video's that anyone could have made that just show some simple landscapes.
    There are about 4-5 videos. One showing combat and large battles. The other showing all the landscapes and systems in place. Another one showing mounts. There are also 500 other screenshots at least. Nice try.

7 years in development.
     A few artists do. But you know what is listed right next to their other jobs? Darkfall. I guess if Darkfall is fake so are those other jobs.  But I thought you said the people who worked on Darkfall never worked on anything? Uh oh, you're story is starting to eat itself.

You mean "built"? I don't really see how a game that doesn't exist has signed with a publisher that releases public stock and makes reports to its stock brokers about its business transactions.
    2. This is an actual game and the designers are truthful but have no experience or knowledge on how to design a game and the game will come out one day as a low budget title or will never come out.
     Well now you're being sensible. No one knows how this game is going to be. I do believe they have quite a bit of experience with MMOs, and they're making a spiritual successor to Ultima Online. And they've mentioned having deep pockets a few times, don't know from where. We'll see how it is. It exists, but it might suck for all we know. I hope not. 

Firstly.. Mythic made quite a few games before creating DAoC.. Godzilla Online , Magestorm , Spellbinder , Splatterball 1 and 2 , Darkness Falls 1 and 2 ) , Aliens Online , Silent Death Online.. ect. They had experience in creating games before DAoC. ( They worked with Centropolis on some of those )

Second.. 5 years for dev time on Darkfall? I guess you think the game was scrapped in 2003 to start a new build? Then explain how in just months they were "ready" for beta in 2003. It wouldnt be possible if they started from scratch. It would only be possible if they kept going from what they had.

• PolarizationPolarization Member Posts: 1,410
    Originally posted by Kshnik

In my mind, gleaming from what information I could find,  Darkfall began when Aventurine came into the picture.  Yes there was some stirrings before hand but they reorganized and basically started from scratch.  Others may have their own opinion on the start of Darkfall, myself, 6 years in development.  None of this matters.

Kshnik, please read my post's in this thread on the 2nd page if you are interested.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/184734/page/2

I have proven (as others have also shown) in the developers own words from their own updates that Darkfall could never of been re-started from scratch after they formed Aventurine.

Because 7 months after Aventurine was formed Darkfall was apparently about to enter Beta, and 9 months later was apparently in Tech Beta, thats impossible from project start to Beta in 9 months.

So either one can believe they started from scratch and that they are liars,

Or one can believe they did not start from scratch but they are inexperienced / over ambitious etc.

Or Aventurine can perform the impossible.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Uhhh no...its not. That's not what vaporware means at all. That implies that every single game in development doesn't exist until its on the shelves...

Development in 5 years. It exists. Whether or not it will live up to promises is another story. People like Waterlilly don't know what they're talking about, and It hink I proved that in my last post.

That's because technically speaking all games are vaporware till it is released.  From concept till gold pressing, you never know what could happen.  Remember that MMO that was touted as being the first for console True Fantasy Online?  Gone.  Mythica Gone.  Dragon Empire Gone.  UXO Gone. UO2 Gone.  Gods & Heroes Gone.  At any given time a game might find itself put down.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• KshnikKshnik Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Polarization

Originally posted by Kshnik

Kshnik, please read my post's in this thread on the 2nd page if you are interested.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/184734/page/2

I have proven (as others have also shown) in the developers own words from their own updates that Darkfall could never of been re-started from scratch after they formed Aventurine.

Because 7 months after Aventurine was formed Darkfall was apparently about to enter Beta, and 9 months later was apparently in Tech Beta, thats impossible from project start to Beta in 9 months.

So either one can believe they started from scratch and that they are liars,

Or one can believe they did not start from scratch but they are inexperienced / over ambitious etc.

Or Aventurine can perform the impossible.

Polarization,

Thanks for the link.  I had read that thread. 

Or it could be that they started from scratch and due to their inexperienced made statements they could not support.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

Also, AoC was never EVER even attempting what Darkfall is doing. The closest AoC and Darkfall were was more active combat, but AoC's combat was never anything special, and by the time it made it to release was simplified from 8 directional to 3 directional. Laughable.

1-Age of Conan use 5 directionals

2-There is no MMO with exacly the same combat system of AoC

3-There is nothing special about Darkfall real time combat, there are more than 100 single player and multiplayer games using these system, and I can tell you about at least 2 MMOs that use the same system, Risk your Life and Hellgate London.

4-Risk your Life is an old game that already has this so special combat Darkfall will have someday ( or not )

5-People that think it need skills to play a real time combat need to think about it and realize anyone can do it.

6-I dont think it is exacly a good move trash another game to make Darkfall ( that still doesnt exist ) look good

• Friction2uFriction2u Member Posts: 293
    Originally posted by Umbral ....Originally posted by SignusM

Also, AoC was never EVER even attempting what Darkfall is doing. The closest AoC and Darkfall were was more active combat, but AoC's combat was never anything special, and by the time it made it to release was simplified from 8 directional to 3 directional. Laughable.

3-There is nothing special about Darkfall real time combat, there are more than 100 single player and multiplayer games using these system,

That's because it's fun.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Friction2u

Originally posted by Umbral ....Originally posted by SignusM

3-There is nothing special about Darkfall real time combat, there are more than 100 single player and multiplayer games using these system,

That's because it's fun.

I didnt say it is not fun, it can be fun,  I really like Enclave and it use this system, but lets not act like fools and belive it is "special", "original", "unique" and trash an original system like the one in AoC.

• Spamalot345Spamalot345 Member Posts: 118

To the OP. The long and short of it is there isn't really much reason to think this product will ever be released, so don't get your hopes up. (Some might say that the promises made to release by the end of '08 are meaningful but if you look at the history of the company, there isn't a deadline they haven't missed.)

Numerous missed deadlines with a minimal staff of limited prior experience. Perhaps it's appropriate they are located in Greece since the task they have outlined for themselves is Herculean. Trying to do it on a shoestring budget doesn't make it any easier. Then there's the old matrix of: HIGH QUALITY, HIGH SPEED and LOW COST where you can only have 2 of the 3. I'm guessing that this company is shooting for the high quality / low cost combo, cause speed is kind of out of the picture.

At this point its reasonable to believe that if the company doesn't close before release, the product will come out with a feature set significantly less than than what has been promoted.

• ZtalinZtalin Member Posts: 25
    Is this game legit?

It's too legit to quit!

God is a fucker send me to hell

• dirtknap69dirtknap69 Member Posts: 295

they don't have other jobs; you made this up.

Originally posted by dirtknap69

Actually a few of the former artists are now working on other projects, and some CURRENT artists have side projects, like art for a trading card game AND art for Darkfall. That's the only thing that he could possibly mean.

Actually a few of the former artists are now working on other projects, and some CURRENT artists have side projects, like art for a trading card game AND art for Darkfall. That's the only thing that he could possibly mean.

lies. i guess you're going to say they rendered all screenshot and videos in MS paint too?

you trolls are seriously braindead.

Originally posted by SlyLoK

7 years in development.

Firstly.. Mythic made quite a few games before creating DAoC.. Godzilla Online , Magestorm , Spellbinder , Splatterball 1 and 2 , Darkness Falls 1 and 2 ) , Aliens Online , Silent Death Online.. ect. They had experience in creating games before DAoC. ( They worked with Centropolis on some of those )

Second.. 5 years for dev time on Darkfall? I guess you think the game was scrapped in 2003 to start a new build? Then explain how in just months they were "ready" for beta in 2003. It wouldnt be possible if they started from scratch. It would only be possible if they kept going from what they had.

It was Mythic's first large scale MMORPG. The team had programming experience prior to DAoC, just as I'm sure the people working on Darkfall aren't fresh out of college.

And yes, Darkfall started in 2003. A small team of 3-5 people in someone's basement, under Razorwax start creating Darkfall in the time frame you listed. They were given the opportunity to merge with a bigger company, with more funds, and make a much better game. It was completely redone. I doubt much, if any source code exists from the first attempt at Darkfall. The Devs were not satisfied, saw the potential the game had, and wanted to make it as best as it could be.

When Women's Gamers went there to try it out, the girl reported that she was unsure Darkfall would ever release because the developers were obsessed with making it perfect. Knowing that, its very easy to believe they scrapped the 5 man Darkfall attempt and went at it again with a full team.

As for the publisher issue, what does a publisher do? They distribute the game. They pay for getting the game out on the market. Very little difference between a publisher and a distributer, but in the end, it all comes down to the fact that they have to be distributing something, therefore, the game exists. We just don't know in what condition.

lies. i guess you're going to say they rendered all screenshot and videos in MS paint too?

you trolls are seriously braindead.

Uh... I'm on your side buddy. And you said the TROLLS are braindead? Seriously, scroll up, I trashed Waterlilly a little while back. 

Some artists that work on Darkfall have worked on other projects, or have since left Darkfall to work on other projects.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by Scubiedude

Is this game legit

short answer: No

long answer: [I can't say as people with ban sticks might listen in]

Originally posted by Draccan

Originally posted by Scubiedude

Is this game legit

short answer: No

long answer: [I can't say as people with ban sticks might listen in]

<sigh> The trolling is done. We know the game exists, when are you people going to stop? They have an old, well respected, European distributer, the game was announced to the companies stock holders. It exists. Its legit.

Uh... I'm on your side buddy. And you said the TROLLS are braindead? Seriously, scroll up, I trashed Waterlilly a little while back. 
    Some artists that work on Darkfall have worked on other projects, or have since left Darkfall to work on other projects. 

i don't think any full-time DF artists or programmers would be working on anything unrelated to DF. i'm a programmer with 10+ years in the business and i can tell you anyone not pulling 10 hour days at this stage of the game has probably already been let go. out of work hobbies don't count.

anyone with actual software development experience can see from the outside it's a real game, and can extrapolate from the various screenshots and such where they're at with the project. it's no coincidence that DF is only questioned by clueless forum idiots and not by serious software developers.