Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game legit?

Comments

• Uziel78Uziel78 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Originally posted by Uziel78

Oh so people, including the press that have acctualy seen the game mean nothing to you? Then I guess you have already made up your mind and no evidence is going to change that... Appart from release anyway.

Press? What press?

You linked a domain registration from Razorwax, a building in OSLO, Norway. Razorwax has never made one game.....................

Apparently they are working on Darkfall in Greece now...........

I see some "questionable" fan (not even a journalist) from a low budget site went to a building and chatted with a person in Greece.

Uhm..yeah..lol.

Ten Ton Hammer and Women Gamers are not press?.. Gee someone better let them know... Care to ridicule yourself even more? At least read before you post...

Till next time...

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Friction2u

That last link was a gem.

It's a bunch of people in front of computers. Yay?

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Oh so people, including the press that have acctualy seen the game mean nothing to you? Then I guess you have already made up your mind and no evidence is going to change that... Appart from release anyway.

Pretty much. It doesn't take very long listening to these clowns to know they can't deliver. I remember Mourning Realms of Krel.  Been there done that. These guys don't have what it takes to make a MMO. Even if they ever do release you won't like the result.

That's still an opinion, and still respected as such. What I asked though is how you KNOW that's how it will be. Not believe, know. Do you acctualy know the developers? Have you been at their offices?

Till next time...

Originally posted by Friction2u

That last link was a gem.

It's a bunch of people in front of computers. Yay?

You asked for pictures of their office. I posted them for you. Now what? You will say that this may be any office? Priceless...

Till next time...

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Do you acctualy know the developers?

Does anyone?

If I said I do would you believe me? No. So what's the point of asking?

Oh and as for any of the developers having worked with any other company...

http://www.henningludvigsen.com/wordpress/?page_id=8

But I guess you will find a way to tell youself that this doesn't count too for some obscure reason...

Till next time...

That's still an opinion, and still respected as such. What I asked though is how you KNOW that's how it will be. Not believe, know. Do you acctualy know the developers? Have you been at their offices?

I don't need to got to a developers office to know if they're reliable any more than I need to see air to tell which way the wind is blowing.

Ah right.. just as thought then. Just speculating.Or maybe you got some superpowers?... Anyway.

Till next time...

• eldanlocoeldanloco Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by Scubiedude

From the videos I have seen it looks like it should be what Aoc should have been.I read so much negative stuff about it being vaporware.Is there anyone who could investigate it to see if it is fake?How long has this game been in production?I remember hearing about it a couple years ago in passing.

404 Error! 

Game not found.

--------------------------------
    Darkfall: December or vaporware!

Ah right.. just as thought then. Just speculating.Or maybe you got some superpowers?... Anyway.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

I bet that gets you through the day... The thing is it does not apply in this situation. You either know something, or you don't. Otherwise you are just speculating. Since then you don't know if this game will be released, if it will suck when it's released or if it will become the greatest mmorpg of all times, you are just speculating. Again as an opinion I respect it, but don't expect people to just agree with you or believe you just cause you know how to copy paste Douglas Adams quotes...

Just for the record... I never said if it will be a success or a failure or if it will even be released. I just posted some things that, provided someone's IQ is not that of a dead snail, easily proove that this game is in development. If the developers are capable enough to pull it off we will have to wait and see but until it releases or gets canceled or whatever we don't KNOW anything.

Till next time...

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Oh the game exists, just that noone really knows what state it is in. 

One thing you can rely on, the feature list on the website is strictly a wishlist.  IF the game is actually published it will have far less feature at release than those shown on the website.  Mainly because they have a very small staff for a MMO and can in no way code such an expansive game with such.

Hopefully they will get it published and get some kind of update schedule for the inclusion of the rest of the features.

The reason for the skeptics is the game has been in development for over 7 years and no one has really seen it.   Now they did rework the game entirely about 5 years ago.  We have stories that people have seen it, but no visible proof from anyone.  It has not even been shown at any of the tradeshows which speaks volumes.

The chances are slim of seeing anything this year, possibly 2009.

When they finally release an actual beta we will see if the game is worth the hype. 

The thing is if they release a the game with no consequences built in for the ffa pvp that will signal the death nell of the game.  A ffa-pvp system will not work without a consequence system.  Been tried many times and proven to not work.

I bet that gets you through the day... The thing is it does not apply in this situation. You either know something, or you don't. Otherwise you are just speculating. Since then you don't know if this game will be released, if it will suck when it's released or if it will become the greatest mmorpg of all times, you are just speculating. Again as an opinion I respect it, but don't expect people to just agree with you or believe you just cause you know how to copy paste Douglas Adams quotes...
    Just for the record... I never said if it will be a success or a failure or if it will even be released. I just posted some things that, provided someone's IQ is not that of a dead snail, easily proove that this game is in development. If the developers are capable enough to pull it off we will have to wait and see but until it releases or gets canceled or whatever we don't KNOW anything.

By your theory we shouldn't make any plans for tomorrow becuse the sun may explode.  You can't prove otherwise.  You're just speculating it won't.

Your logic is flawed.

Dude walks like a duck., quacks like a duck, flies like a duck. If the game gives every indication it's going to be a failure the onus is on them, not me, to prove otherwise. If they ever expect to get adequate investment to complete it  they need to prove not only the game exists but people will buy it. They haven't done so when it's in their best  interest.   QED expecting failure is justified.

Expecting, maybe, knowing, no. That's all I'm saying. Anyway no point in tiring you all with repeating stuff. I think I have stated my opinion well enough for anyone to understand what I am saying. Not expecting that everyone will agree with me of course. That's all for now, got to go.

Till next time...

• PolarizationPolarization Member Posts: 1,410
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

The thing is if they release a the game with no consequences built in for the ffa pvp that will signal the death nell of the game.  A ffa-pvp system will not work without a consequence system.  Been tried many times and proven to not work.

Not if it does not amount to much more then one of the  glorified fantasy/medieval, team death match type Total Modification's  for half life 2 allready avaialable,or any other popular online FPS.

And judging by the videos and screenshots released so far, it seems that’s all the developers have demonstrated Darkfall is at this stage.

Perhaps its will be more like Savage, but we can all play Savage for free now online, we don’t have to pay Aventurine for the privilege to play a FPS with “city” building or “resource” gathering, with characters and hundreds of skills etc.

• steve-irwinsteve-irwin Member Posts: 99

To make a long story short, yes this game is legit

Well thanks, I guess that’s clears up the issue once and for all, absolutely no reason to be concerned anymore.

And to think, all those years of wasted speculation by the community, we finally know the truth because of your single unsubstantiated declaration that’s in complete contradiction to a growing body of evidence.

But it’s a pity the development of Darkfall has not been such a short story though eh?

• rasgrixrasgrix Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Polarization

Well thanks, I guess that’s clears up the issue once and for all, absolutely no reason to be concerned anymore.
    And to think, all those years of wasted speculation by the community, we finally know the truth because of your single unsubstantiated declaration that’s in complete contradiction to a growing body of evidence.
    But it’s a pity the development of Darkfall has not been such a short story though eh?

such lovely sarcasm

No problem!! Next time just ask. Afterall, all your speculation could fill a novel, yet you proved just as much as I did about DF being vapor or not with one single sentence. Yea, talk about wasting your time..........

I actually don’t believe people like steve-Irwin are genuine supporters of this project or believe what they are saying, because its so damaging to its credibility and there’s.

I think they do it to stimulate attention and get angry responses etc. for there own satisfaction.

But I might be wrong.

But I’m sure he said “this is the WoW killer’ in another post recently, I cant possibly conceive that anyone no matter how positive and optimistic about Darkfall, could ever seriously consider that being a possibility, unless of course they where completely delusional and ignorant.

• rasgrixrasgrix Member Posts: 169

I actually don’t believe people like steve-Irwin are genuine supporters of this project or believe what they are saying, because its so damaging to its credibility and there’s.
    I think they do it to stimulate attention and get angry responses etc. for there own satisfaction.
    But I might be wrong.
    But I’m sure he said “this is the WoW killer’ in another post recently, I cant possibly conceive that anyone no matter how positive and optimistic about Darkfall, could ever seriously consider that being a possibility, unless of course they where completely delusional and ignorant.

yes i agree darkfall and WoW are of two completely different styles

But I might be wrong.

I guess someone was not able to comprehend OBVIOUS sarcasm............

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Like I said,from what I have read on this forum there is alot of conflictingting information .Good and Bad.It is hard to know what to believe.

See OP, even after 5 more pages of debate, I'll bet you aren't any clearer on what to believe than you were reading the other threads.

It all boils down to a matter of faith really, as hard evidence is circumstantial and incomplete at this point at time. Sure, you can find links to this and that, but none of it really proves beyond a shadow of a doubt whether Darkfall will ever be released, never mind released in the state that the developers promised us.

But in theory, we won't have much longer to wait. Tasos promised us a release before the end of 2008 (and we all know Aventurine/Razorwax never breaks their promises  )

What I hope will happen is the game will actually be released by years end, because I for one would love to give it a try.

What I think will happen (yes, I know, speculation on my part) is that the date will come and go, and we'll go through 2009 once again debating the existence of DF with a whole new set of supporters who will magically create new accounts to prop up the game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

No one knows if it's legit.
    The problems start when you try to find games these people have made before, you will find NONE.
    That's because they're a new company, just like Mythic was before they made Dark Age of Camelot.
    When you try to find any other games anyone designing this game have worked on, you will find NONE.
    You've personally checked into the backround of all the developers and found nothing? Prove it.
    Here's one. http://www.henningludvigsen.com/wordpress/?page_id=8
    When you try to find a business or publisher who has ever supported this game or company, you will find NONE.
    Wrong again. Nice try. They have a very old, wealthy and well respected publisher. http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=58541&highlight=publisher
    When you try to find out the building they supposidly work in, you will find 0 pictures of them at work.
    What?! Are you serious? You're complaining about not having a picture of their office? You've got to be joking. That's just sad and pathetic. Wasn't there a huge google Earth thread of Hashbrick trying to find their office, making an idiot of himself because he forgot to translate avenue?Well, here they are. http://www.moondawn.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=48

No one seems to have played a closed beta.
    Wrong. The people who have visited the office in Greece have played and commented on it, but of course people like you will just say its all fake, cause you want to troll. Ahhh I see who you are now. Waterlilly, you never have anything good to say despite all the evidence that gets stacked against you. My troll radar should have gone off right away.
    No real gameplay video's, just some video's that anyone could have made that just show some simple landscapes.
    There are about 4-5 videos. One showing combat and large battles. The other showing all the landscapes and systems in place. Another one showing mounts. There are also 500 other screenshots at least. Nice try.

7 years in development.
    About 4 1/2 - 5 actually.
    Designers have other jobs besides working for darkfall.
     A few artists do. But you know what is listed right next to their other jobs? Darkfall. I guess if Darkfall is fake so are those other jobs.  But I thought you said the people who worked on Darkfall never worked on anything? Uh oh, you're story is starting to eat itself.

When you think about it, 2 things are possible.
    1. This is a scam and it was just build as a hype machine.
    You mean "built"? I don't really see how a game that doesn't exist has signed with a publisher that releases public stock and makes reports to its stock brokers about its business transactions.
    2. This is an actual game and the designers are truthful but have no experience or knowledge on how to design a game and the game will come out one day as a low budget title or will never come out.
     Well now you're being sensible. No one knows how this game is going to be. I do believe they have quite a bit of experience with MMOs, and they're making a spiritual successor to Ultima Online. And they've mentioned having deep pockets a few times, don't know from where. We'll see how it is. It exists, but it might suck for all we know. I hope not. 

I think you are getting mixed up there... The evidence acctualy points to the fact that the game is legit. As for the oposite... there is no single piece of evidence... Just speculation. So.. what evidence are you talking about?

Till next time...

• TheodgrimTheodgrim Member Posts: 535

I dont agree with the vaporware crowd, as I have said many times.  In the most basic sense, the game is "legit", as there is sufficient evidence to show a company named Aventurine is coding a game called Darkfall.

The real questions revolve around Aventurine's ability to deliver on their promises.  Considering that they still have not done anything to validate their claims at this late stage of dev, and their past track record is consistently poor, many question their ability and/or their honesty.  Attempts to validate claims made by these devs or their fans most often result in debunking. 

Darkfall has been in production since 2000.  Fans that think that sounds too long will claim that the game was restarted from scratch in 2003 when Razorwax merged with Aventurine.  (Yet the updates from the devs in 2003 say nothing of the sort, in fact, going the opposite route by telling us the game is almost ready for public beta)

So, yes the game is being worked on.  Will it live up to expectations?  Unless your expecations are low...I would not hold my breath.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Theodgrim

I dont agree with the vaporware crowd, as I have said many times.  In the most basic sense, the game is "legit", as there is sufficient evidence to show a company named Aventurine is coding a game called Darkfall.
    The real questions revolve around Aventurine's ability to deliver on their promises.  Considering that they still have not done anything to validate their claims at this late stage of dev, and their past track record is consistently poor, many question their ability and/or their honesty.  Attempts to validate claims made by these devs or their fans most often result in debunking. 
    Darkfall has been in production since 2000.  Fans that think that sounds too long will claim that the game was restarted from scratch in 2003 when Razorwax merged with Aventurine.  (Yet the updates from the devs in 2003 say nothing of the sort, in fact, going the opposite route by telling us the game is almost ready for public beta)
    So, yes the game is being worked on.  Will it live up to expectations?  Unless your expecations are low...I would not hold my breath.

I very much agree with this post, and I think its really the answer to the question as well as the end of this thread.  There is a Game being Worked on legitimately by a developer named adventurine.  I think that pretty much answers the question.

Whether the game is going to be good or not  (or release or not)  is irrelevant, and there are a bunch of other threads arguing that fact, but in this one, the answer is clear that yes... this is a legitimate game.

• Psiho246Psiho246 Member Posts: 482
    Originally posted by SignusM

Like I said,from what I have read on this forum there is alot of conflictingting information .Good and Bad.It is hard to know what to believe.

It exists. Their European publisher just recently released a business statement to their stock holders saying they'd be distributing the game for Aventurine. The quality the game is in, we don't know (reports say its great, from the visits to the studio) but we do know it exists.

Also, AoC was never EVER even attempting what Darkfall is doing. The closest AoC and Darkfall were was more active combat, but AoC's combat was never anything special, and by the time it made it to release was simplified from 8 directional to 3 directional. Laughable.

Actually its 5 troll and you are laughable. :)

There's plenty of bad things to say about AoC but combat is not one of them.

As far as I can see, Darkfall will have mindless button bashing like Oblivion so don't BS about combat in other games.