Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best World Map so far

Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

For the ones that wasnt aware of this very nice map of the Agon World. Can be nice to have a good one since the game is soon to be released. =)

http://www.bkbhq.com/index.php?pageid=dfmap

Comments

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

That to me looks like a very boring and unimaginative world design. Hopefully on the ground it wont be laid out so symmetrically.

• buffordbufford Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Aragon100

For the ones that wasnt aware of this very nice map of the Agon World. Can be nice to have a good one since the game is soon to be released. =)
    http://www.bkbhq.com/index.php?pageid=dfmap

Yes, an oversimplified map shaped like an X is just wonderful :/

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

looks ok :)

Though "soon to be released" is a bit wishful thinking :P

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• PolarizationPolarization Member Posts: 1,410

That looked impressive for a few seconds until I started actually clicking on the locations, I thought cool they’ve linked gallery’s of screenshots taken in game from those locations, but no, what actually happens?

No information about this city/region is available

No information about this city/region is available!

It’s like that for every location apart from the racial city capitals and some of the regions, but the only information available for them is a few paragraphs of Lore text, not even any screenshots of the racial capital’s!

I really hope when we log into Darkfall for the first time

“No information about this city/region is available” does not flash up on a blank screen.

Aragon please accept some friendly advice, actually look at what your posting to promote this game, because so many of your attempts seem to back fire somewhat.

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by Polarization

That looked impressive for a few seconds until I started actually clicking on the locations, I thought cool they’ve linked gallery’s of screenshots taken in game from those locations, but no, what actually happens?
    No information about this city/region is available!
    It’s like that for every location apart from the racial city capitals and some of the regions, but the only information available for them is a few paragraphs of Lore text, not even any screenshots of the racial capital’s!
    I really hope when we log into Darkfall for the first time
    “No information about this city/region is available” does not flash up on a blank screen.
    Aragon please accept some friendly advice, actually look at what your posting to promote this game, because so many of your attempts seem to back fire somewhat.

Its not me backfiring. Its you and other trolls. Just look at your backfire with 10 new threads where you search the internet 24/7 on Aventurine related info and then making up your own sick history on the few lines you find, pathetic. You trolls just cant take a thread that isnt about some made up conspiracy by Aventurine, like a non-existant adress (that was the laughing stock over at Darkfall board btw) or putting labels on Developers you never met or have the fainthest clue about. That kind of fiction seems to be what is interesting. Not gamerelated issues like a good world map.

This board is like when the paparazzis is searching for next weeks scoop, whether its accurate isnt important. Main thing is its something negative about Aventurine or game.

I don’t think you understand what backfire means.

It means something that you did had the opposite effect you intended.

Starting a thread titled “Best World Map so far” presumably to promote Darkfall, but actually presenting a map that says “No information about this city/region is available” on most of the locations we can click on is self defeating.

I’m not going to list all the things I think you’ve done to promote Darkfall which I think have backfired, but just as another example of what one is.

Do you remember when you started a thread on the general section of this website, ostensibly to talk about sand box, PvP, non linear games.

But at the same time made a post encouraging members of the official Darkfall forums to join in with the thread to promote Darkfall and attack “carebears”

Of course, after a while it become immediately apparent you and your “friends” where intent on promoting Darkfall and attacking “carebears”, and where not really interested in having a genuine discussion at all.

So eventually after some moderation actions, the thread was eventually moved to the Darkfall section.

The whole thing was an embarrassment and instead of promoting Darkfall it simply tarnished the reputation of Darkfall and its community even further, that’s another good example of a back fire.

I can appreciate that its very difficult to find things to promote this game with considering the circumstances, but that's the developers fault not yours or mine.

The intention of me finding and posting new information about Aventurine and its developers is simply to present new information to the community to discuss, anyone can decide for themselves what to make of it.

It does not matter to me if I find negative, neutral or positive new information, I will post it irrespective for the community, its not my fault if most of it appears to be negative or neutral that’s the developers fault not mine.

And its not my fault that you and many other people dismiss me as a “pathetic troll” for doing so, if you don’t like the information or lack of it, complain to the people who are responsible for it, the developers themselves, not me.

This is an open forum and I can talk about anything I want related to Darkfall and its developers, unlike the official forums, if you don’t like that then don’t read my posts.

Fortunately it does not take 24/7 searching to find this stuff, it’s a few minutes searching on google.

I personally consider that’s an indication that the majority of the supporters of this project prefer to be blissfully ignorant of this kind of information and so have never looked for it, because it intrudes on there cherished hopes and dreams.

I presume that’s why they react so aggressively when ever its brought to there attention. Nobody likes to contemplate there belief’s and faith might be for naught, but again that’s not my or your fault, it’s the developers who might not of been entirely truthful with us.

• CreepingDoomCreepingDoom Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by bufford

Yes, an oversimplified map shaped like an X is just wonderful :/

Not only that, but it was 7 years in the making! amazing talent they have there...

Rock a FailCom avatar now and express your disgust with pride!

The truth hurts...
    Funcom RX

I’ve just noticed another thing, like so many of these things you post its years old, from 2006.

This simply does not look like the map of a feature complete game that “is soon to be released”.

Although I do like the Art style and the geographical layout presumably to focus conflict between the races, like so many things related to this game released it’s sorely lacking in substance in my opinion.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

That map looks very similar to what Regnum Online has....

• samuraislyrsamuraislyr Member Posts: 122

Looks like another typical fantasy map. A large continent surronded by perhaps some large islands... really what ever happened to the ocean in fantasy? Ocean hardly ever seems relevant in just about every fantasy world out there.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

The Map is fine it's a Map of a large world. I wouldn't expect the world continents to change much at the level of detail it is at. I'd be more worried if it had. I would be surprised if any detail beyond the racial Capitals is released before oprn beta and go live. The mystery of the game at release will be a big seller.   

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I like that map. It really looks as a real map should do.

And from what i have heard, there wont be much more information available from the world map ingame. Wich is a good thing. Then you need to talk to people or go there yourselve to get to know the latest (secret) news.

• SilvarchSilvarch Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Isane

The mystery of the game at release will be a big seller.   

For whom? Do you feel more inclined to purchase something the less you know about it beforehand?

Originally posted by Silvarch

For whom? Do you feel more inclined to purchase something the less you know about it beforehand?

It worked for AoC : )

Originally posted by daarco

And from what i have heard, there wont be much more information available from the world map ingame. Wich is a good thing. Then you need to talk to people or go there yourselve to get to know the latest (secret) news.

The ingame Map will take annotation. So each individual will have their own notes.

Conversely from what I hear it's pretty much the same as most other games (fully revealed, etc, which is not a bad thing) plus a real time weather report. Vanilla WoW, for instance, had fog of war on the map while DF will not.

Knowing about the game is one thing knowing the world and it's landscape, it's content another.

So in the context of my statement the product being DF (MMO) a computer game yes.

Now if a copy of the game was 20,000$ per unit then I may do some research but when the game will be of the normal cost per unit worst case 50$, it's pennies so no real loss from my perspective.

You need to replace "purchase something" with DF as my comment was specific to a game and DarkFall. 

Conversely from what I hear it's pretty much the same as most other games (fully revealed, etc, which is not a bad thing) plus a real time weather report. Vanilla WoW, for instance, had fog of war on the map while DF will not.

If you think it is the same as most other games you are wrong based on what the developers have stated.

It worked for AoC : )

I was not aware of a media blackout from FunCom, quite the opposite in fact, nor did I realize the Conan franchise and details of the places of the Hyborian Age were unknown or under wraps.

I for one do not care that much about details and background of  places in Agon, as long as they're there I can go to them, and I find the map OK, if not a bit on the conveniently distributed side, if you get my meaning, but I disagree with the idea that less or no basic information on something is a good or desireable thing. While you don't want to know the ending of a book before you buy it, you'd like to know the premise to know if you might like it.

6 months form release, and nobody can actually attribute any screenshots or concrete game play/ content information about even Racial capitals on a map that is over 2 years old.

And most of the locations have zero information known about them, and the few that have any form of information known about them are text taken from Lore descriptions.

And a map of the game that is supposed to be bigger then any other game the developers know about , and is bigger then “some countries” only has 24 known distinct locations, most known only by name.

Again I say this does not look like the map of a game that is feature complete and releasing soon.

But I still hope the developers prove me wrong and release a map with all the locations on it with adequate information proving all there claims about all the content in there game world they have made over the years.

If there is one thing we wont get information about...it will be the world (map).  That will be for the players to explore. And with a reason. Showing all places will hurt the tactics of war. Agents will later die to get that information out to enemys. The gameplay have no "areas" to know about, areas with special "quests" for a certain "lvl"., as most other MMOs have.

And remember that you will also choose your starting location, so we cant hear to much about that either.

Exept that.....some videos about ships and naval combat would be nice.

Knowing about the game is one thing knowing the world and it's landscape, it's content another.

So in the context of my statement the product being DF (MMO) a computer game yes.

Now if a copy of the game was 20,000$ per unit then I may do some research but when the game will be of the normal cost per unit worst case 50$, it's pennies so no real loss from my perspective.

You need to replace "purchase something" with DF as my comment was specific to a game and DarkFall. 

If you think it is the same as most other games you are wrong based on what the developers have stated.

As I stated, I agree it's no big loss, I don't agree it's a "big seller" or a good thing either.

And according to this from the latest Q&A:

"What about maps? How do maps work in game? Will it be possible to mark a map with an interesting location on?

Darkfall has a global map and a mini map interface. There is also a weather map where you can zoom in to get local weather. You can add your own markers on the global map.

Will the whole world map be visible from the start or will players have to explore to view the whole map?

Yes it’s visible. The world is pre-existing; this isn’t the dawn of time in the storyline. We could have opted for map fog, but it’s just going to be a pain and someone will have a full map online anyway relatively quickly."

I am led to believe I am right. If you still disagree then you are more than welcome to point out why.

Originally posted by Polarization

6 months form release, and nobody can actually attribute any screenshots or concrete game play/ content information about even Racial capitals on a map that is over 2 years old.
    And most of the locations have zero information known about them, and the few that have any form of information known about them are text taken from Lore descriptions.
    And a map of the game that is supposed to be bigger then any other game the developers know about , and is bigger then “some countries” only has 24 known distinct locations, most known only by name.
    Again I say this does not look like the map of a game that is feature complete and releasing soon.
    But I still hope the developers prove me wrong and release a map with all the locations on it with adequate information proving all there claims about all the content in there game world they have made over the years.

To be fair, the claim that it's bigger than "some countries" could be technically right and still not mean much. A single planet in SWG is a lot bigger than the Vatican, Monaco and Nauru combined. The same could be said of almost every MMO. And I don't think they actually made the claim it's bigger than any other game they know because that would be untrue or they haven't played that many games. Case in point, Daggerfall. Bigger than any other MMO? We can't tell without numbers or more information.

It's disheartening that there's so little information about the world and that most of the things we know are vague statements about relative size. We can only hope that more information is released before, well, release. If not, well, not much can be done, but it's by no means a good thing or a marketing point.

They did make the claim that the Darkfall world was bigger then “any game they know” because I distantly remember laughing when I’ve read it a few times since, and its been referenced on this site several times with links.

Clause said it took them 18 months to custom build the world , it was not an automated process.

They have also made numerous claims and statements about how content filled and wonderfully exciting the world is full of interesting locations.

How it even has dynamic mob spawn locations and camps.

And they even did a “showcase” of some of the places in “travels of Argon” a few years ago, that where Lore based!, containing nothing specific about game play or content, only vague and ambiguous.

And no I’m not going to try to find the quotes for anything of this because anyone who’s been following this game will of seen these types of claims made many times over the years.

After 8 years of development It’s the Developers and the community who supports this that have to start providing the proof for all this now, its just getting ridiculous.

And no, this map is not proof for any of that, nether is Tasos talking about it either.