Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Empires cancelled :-(

styxstyx Member Posts: 2

Dragon Empires has been cancelled *sigh*

Dragon Empires Website

Comments

• LordOfCloudLordOfCloud Member Posts: 10

Awwwww...that sucks.image

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Ok, now its getting stupid. Ok, Wow and EQII are coming and ok, they will take a bit chunk of the cookie the first year, but... Heck, there is room for SOME diversity! And DE was directed at a player type that those games are not even touching on. Kind of a Shadowbane, but quality, not some amateur project.

I really think the suits have to get the hell out gaming companies soon, they are killing the market. Give the power back to the program designers, and those that work to create a superb game, and remove the business minds all together.

OK... Hm. So, now only DnL left in that type of game, the massive RvR hoolabaloo. And its the worse of the two. Typical and a darn shame.

Only game I wait for right now: Imperator.
    Go Mythic!

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• LordOfCloudLordOfCloud Member Posts: 10
    You have a point(I think).

• MorriganMorrigan Member Posts: 242

sheesh! ::::27::

www.darthmyr.com

One player's great game is another players derisive snort!

One player's great game is another players derisive snort!
    http://www.darthmyr.com for free guild forums

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Couldnt agree with you more on this subject .There are too many games that are the same.Proof of this recently was a screen shot comparison of WoW and EQ2.Regardless of the videocard used at 1st glance it was difficult to tell the 2 apart.
    The compass was in the same part of the screen,the character listings for the party were virtually the same etcetc.I think its funny how these 2 games are 90% of what people talk about on this site.You would think its the 2nd coming of the genre.
    In the past this has happened with SWG and CoH.But at least those 2 titles are different and somewhat original not just another fantasy title.
    I too am looking forward to imperator until then i think vendettaonline will do.::::02::

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

• GrubarGrubar Member CommonPosts: 36

I'm not surprised. This title has already undergone one complete graphical and gameplay revision, and the game's development seem to have gone astray, with no end in sight, after over four years in development limbo.

Vaporware, perhaps. Overly ambitious, perhaps. But well-intentioned and creative.

Calista must have forseen the project's demise before his timely departure.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

As a Brit i bow my head down in shame.

Not for mmorpg,not for DE,not for any game but for yet another example of our fear of risk.

The risk i refer to is the money type.

Ok lets look 2 years ago 3 great looking british mmorpg where in the make- DE,warhammer online and adellion.

Now Warhammer was made by game workshop and DE by codemaster.2 very rich companies.

DE even was in beta already for heaven sake.

Warhammer as we know is dead.Adellion is as far as i am concerned dead.Now DE.

Even after codematers gave an interview as recent as 2 months ago saying there was no way DE would not make it live.

I wonder if british gaming companies think they can sit on past glories and keep dishing out racing games and be successful.

Heck of late i seen ukranian games having more ideas and innovation then british games.

Well RIP DE.

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

RIP. B sept 2001, D sept 2004.

from Satine (DE Community Liaison Manager):
    "Guys and gals,

Sorry for the delay in posting, as you can imagine I have been involved in meetings all morning. I am extrememly sad to bring this bad news to you all. I am myself indeed quite shocked at the events of today.

As you are all aware, we did have some difficulty with certain aspects of the code, namely the server issues. Over the last month or two we have been reviewing the situation and looking for ways to resolve them, which inlcuded seeking external help.

However, after a full, in-depth analysis, research and review, it has been decided by the board that the project has too many risks to be considered viable at this time.

For now I'll still be here with you all, this website is remaining open so that we can all grieve together and so you can ask your questions and have a rant. It's absolutely gutting and if you feel anything like me, then you'll be devastated. Let's talk it through...

Satine."

From Calistas (former DE CLM):
    "Hi all!

Sad time to drop in.

First, everyone remember that as long as you met some cool people here and made some good friends it's not all gone to waste! Go and kick some ass in other games you refugees of Fortitude!

To the devs, I'm sad I can't be there today and of course you're all welcome to visit me down here in NZ

To Sam, reckon you could show them the new character models and other assorted unreleased assets and stories? That'd be great ::::02::

Also, there's no great conspiracy about the game (I've already heard some). Really, we all liked it and management liked it as much (more than, on those frustrating days!) as we did. In the end sometimes something just can't be made to work (even if it looked fine on paper and in prototype) and that's that.

Anyway, it was a great dream.. but now what shall I play?!"
    Calistas

A while back Calistas left the project to return to New Zealand.
    Suprising that there is faulty code three years into the project from a company named Codemasters ?!
    Guess since DE could not compete with wow it gets cancled...
    ? Whatcha wana bet EQ2 gets cancled & instead gets converted into the next EQ expansion ???

DEAD: Mythic, Warhammer online, UXO, Acclaim...

edit: ps the last (30 aug) dev CHAT

• fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

well cant say i didn't expect this, although still disapointed..

the question now is, who's next?::::37::

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

It is a shame.  I am all for a diversity of mmorpgs.  I know that Everquest II and World of Warcraft are the big ones coming, but not everyone will enjoy them.

Anyway, from reading about the cancellation of Dragon Empires, it stated that thegame was scrapped because of technical problems, but who really knows what the reasons are.

In any case, DE wasn't on my list of games to try (there are just too many), and this is the most likely reason for it's demise.  There's a limit on the time spent playing and the actual number of gamers who play . . .

This scares me because I am anxiously waiting for Fallen Earth, which is a totally different mmorpg with a new concept and setting, but it is slow in development and Icarus isn't a big name company that could stand up to all of the competition.  So I feel bad for all of the people who were looking forward to Dragon Empires, I hope you find another mmorpg that'll be fun for you.

Next to be cancelled:  Middle Earth Online and/or Dungeons and Dragons Online

• KeldarKeldar Member Posts: 135

Damn, this is one of the games that ofered something else than killing stuff all the time.
    All DE fans will be welcome in our Dark and Light forums. It´s not the same, but you´ll find great PvP and Tradeskills.

DE, you´re in our hearts. ::::21::

• OaksteadOakstead Member Posts: 455

Yes, Dark and Light is the most like Dragon Empires. The game Dragon Empires was my first love before discovering DnL after getting bored with conventional MMOGs and EVE-Online. But after a while I and others noticed that it had some high level strategic game play problems regarding city capture. This is what I wrote after we received some detailed information from the devs:

Motivation and City Conquest

I have long been bothered by the city conquest mechanics and the lack of detailed information on it. It is the one thing that differentiates Dragon Empires from the other games. So I was rather shocked to read in Robc's article that this high level gameplay feature was not well thought out before money was commited to develop this game.

Other threads have commented on possible exploits but nothing has been mentioned on how this system affects player motivation and that is the key element. Without motivation gamers will not play. My big concern here is the motivation to play in a clan aiming for city control.

So, once a clan owns a city what happens. The clan leader will tell all clan members to play nice with the neighbors. Other then that the clan members have no part in keeping control of their city. The clan leader will wheel and deal in the hope that the city is not voted for a challenge. Yet this is very ironic since the clan leader must work to avoid one of the most fun parts of the game.

What will eventually happen is that some set of city owners will work out some arrangement where the same set of 2 or 3 cities is always brought up for challenge. The only way to avoid this is to have very long safe times so that 4 or 5 of the newest cities are safe from challenge. If that is done one might as well roll the dice since city challenge will nearly be random after 4 or 5 weeks of ownership. So either city ownership will stagnate or motivation killing resignation will set in since nothing a city owning clan can do will affect its ability to keep a city. Both take away the motivation to play as a clan.

So a clan wants to challege for a city. They will find that the Outlaws have the initiative. Since a venerated beast must be killed for one to become an outlaw they will not be killed if lots of bounty hunters are nearby. One could very well have 2 potential Outlaws being trailed by a larger group of Bounty Hunters hoping a venerated beast will be attacked. The Bounty Hunters will even end up telling the potential Outlaws where the venerated beasts are located. So Bounty Hunters will end up camping and waiting and that is not fun. The Outlaws will have the most fun.

So it just seems to me that instead of city control being central to this game it will be just a minor sideshow to the more conventional aspects. Unfortunately Dragon Empires will be going up against Everquest II and World of Warcraft for the conventional gamer.

So while the devs seem to have had code problems regarding online stability the above problem combined with competition from the big 2 conventional games caused the company not to put more money into the game to overcome the technical problems.

• RammurRammur Member Posts: 575

I knew they was gonna cancel lol ive been playing realms since cm had it they couldnt aford to keep that lil cheesy game online whatever in they minds did they think they can do it with de

• knives22knives22 Member Posts: 375

HAH! I KNEW IT!!! HAHAH lol I swear I KNEW this was going to happen ::::08:: so Im not really surprised but anways. All MMORPG developers should be ashamed...very ashamed.I think the only two mmorpgs that are coming out and will be worth while and suscefull will be of course WoW and EQ2.

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

What I find mildly amusing is that they posted new lore at 9:53 GMT, and then posted the cancellation at 13:22 (1:32) GMT. I suspect some folks working there were really surprised by this turn of events. But it's the right day for cancellations-- Friday, the traditional day for delivering bad news in the business world.

Well, another one bites the dust. :(
    It makes me a little sad when games get cancelled, just because there are always disappointed fans left behind with questions that hardly ever get answered to their satisfaction. After you've followed a game and become part of the community-in-anticipation, it's hard to let go when it gets shut down without ever seeing the light of day.

~*~
    neschria
    Bunny Squisher Extraordinaire

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• StaxicStaxic Member Posts: 145

I'm a bit surprised. They were already in Beta, and I thought Codemasters had deep enough pockets to put up with a bit of risk.

Guess that means more for Dark And Light!

• spiritwolfspiritwolf Member Posts: 46

I'm also kind of sad by the sudden cancellation of DE. A lot of us gave been quite active in all of the community building that a game needs to survive. We've built & manitained active clans, with lots of members, that have been recruiting for many months,now.

Once again, it's NOT the lack of community support that killed off another promising title! It's the company behind the title that couldn't get their acts together. They need to take a lesson from the community of gamers who've spent a lot of time building their precious base of players/supporters. 

So here we have only the latest 'next big thing' to bite the dust. And here we have the latest example of how these games continue to fail because of the people behind them NOT being able to work together to build their Gamemaking teams, like we hardcore players already know how to build up their fanbase of 'willing-to-pay' supporters.

I agree with what I've read here today. It's time to put the 'business' of developing games back into the hands of the game developers. Let the creative artists & programmers behind these titles have the freedom to create their masterpiece. The player community does our part, each & everytime, to support, encourage, & promote the product. The business suits behind the titles need to attend to the business of selling the product, & stop ruining the Game before it ever has a chance to see the light of launchday!

Heh, here's an afterthought for those of us scheduled to help beta-test Wish, another 'promising' new Title. After seeing DE fade to dust, I can't help but laugh at the probability of Wish not making it, either. image

• VAPORWARE STRIKES AGAIN! LOL! imageimage

(I'm not trying to sound mean. It is just that I, and many, many, others saw this coming (and 100% predicted it!) sooooo long ago!)

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========

MMORPG games I've played:
    ---------------------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

DAoC (coming soon)
    ---------------------------

• PangaeaPangaea Member Posts: 434

I am glad actually

I agree this will be the SAME MMO as the others coming out, level-based, level-restricted, class limiting, generic fantasy game. With Level Grinding.

I don't care if they added different siege, or city taking features.

I don't care if they have RvR or TvT or PvP, I want a GOOD mechanic on my character DEVELOPMENT.

I am glad the suits are reducing the saturationof the market by all the Everquest clones.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

Moved to Dragon Empires Forums.

- Malkavian image

"When you find youself sinking into Madness, dive" - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

Originally posted by rentantilus

Oh man, Dragon Empires is cancelled?  Now where am I EVER going to be able to find a boring level grind with a restrictive class-based system packed into the same generic fantasy world?
    But seriously, I can't say I'll miss DE.  That's not because I'm cold hearted or anything; it's a simple logical situation in which there are so many other games that are EXACTLY like DE that losing one more really doesn't hurt the industry at all.  I feel bad for all of the developers that might be out of work right now, but you really should have seen this coming.  What did you think was going to happen, that you were going to pump out this stale piece of crap that's basically a clone of EverQuest and suddenly their half million players were going to spontaneously switch to your game?  I don't know how much you convinced yourselves that was going to work in your conceptual design meetings, but what does it sound like now?
    I hope I'm not the only one noticing how many of these stupid EQ clones are dropping like flies.  Hey MMORPG industry, how about some originallity and ingenuity?

If you actually knew anything about Dragon Empires, you wouldn't be saying Dragon Empires was another EQ clone. It offered completely different gameplay and as such, could not be said to be an EQ clone.

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Achiever 46%, Socializer 33%, Explorer 33%

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• JackTRJackTR Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by rentantilus

Oh man, Dragon Empires is cancelled?  Now where am I EVER going to be able to find a boring level grind with a restrictive class-based system packed into the same generic fantasy world?
    But seriously, I can't say I'll miss DE.  That's not because I'm cold hearted or anything; it's a simple logical situation in which there are so many other games that are EXACTLY like DE that losing one more really doesn't hurt the industry at all.  I feel bad for all of the developers that might be out of work right now, but you really should have seen this coming.  What did you think was going to happen, that you were going to pump out this stale piece of crap that's basically a clone of EverQuest and suddenly their half million players were going to spontaneously switch to your game?  I don't know how much you convinced yourselves that was going to work in your conceptual design meetings, but what does it sound like now?
    I hope I'm not the only one noticing how many of these stupid EQ clones are dropping like flies.  Hey MMORPG industry, how about some originallity and ingenuity?

When you see a new MMORPG, honestly think to yourself: "Is this game designed to EARN my $15 per month subscription with content, originality, and long-term value, or is it just designed to SCAM me out of $50 when I buy the box at the store with flashy advertising, biased reviews, and empty promises?"

Now this is a big pile of nonsense. Read up about DE before you judge it. You call a game that was planning to be clan and PvP centered with as main levelling method PvP and a short character maxing time an EQ clone ? I'm sorry but this was one of the few original, more daring products around.

Rest in Peace Dragon Empires image

http://de.stratics.com - Managing Editor

http://de.stratics.com - Managing Editor

• hertinhertin Member Posts: 31
    Another promising mmorpg gone to the land of RIP.

• RoeunneRoeunne Member Posts: 13
    I actually didn't expect it. But the thing I hate worst is all the makerting that sorrounded the former launch; so If the product were unable to reach the light why make a web site, and all the marketing about it... It's actually sucks.

"Going forward we remain committed to publishing a hit MMOG, and also to making best use of the work done to date on Dragon Empires, be it in a massively multiplayer form or not." Gary Dunn.

More nonsense coming ahead.

• paravionparavion Member Posts: 422

ya ..mourning is similar to DE.  Dark and Light, Darkfall and Wish are also similar to DE 

other developers has been digging DE's grave...and now they are burying it...alive.......as for now lets send our condolences to the developers... the sad darkfall of DE... the mourning of DE fanboi.  the dark and light of DE...bury them all..... RIP....the living dead.... DE dev bring it back to life soon