Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Dear Devs: Part Two

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Adele Caelia recently submitted some questions from EverQuest II players to the game's developers. Today, we present three more of the company's answers. Remember to check back next week for more.

Dear Devs,

I have enjoyed your game for the past four years, and have many fond memories from the beginning. I recall the knight who used to stand in front of the castle and tell us that we were not yet good enough to enter the castle. We all assumed this would come later, but it did not. Finally after years went by the knight just vanished. What happened to him? Were the gates attacked and he killed in an epic battle? Did he retire? Perhaps he was sent out on a quest for the queen herself! My question is if he will one day return to open the doors of the castle to the most prominent citizens of Qeynos? Perhaps we will have to endure a quest to save him and bring him back safely and he will reward us by allowing us entrance? Another question I have is about the fun spells. A long time ago every 10 levels players received a spell that did nothing really but create a little immersion and fun. I think the players really enjoyed these spells. Is there a chance that these might one day return? Also after spending all the years in Norrath my legs are very tired and I don’t even know how I have made it so long without a chair to sit upon. Might we one day have the ability to sit in the chairs throughout Norrath?

Thanks,

Gavins

Read it all here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• kitsunegirlkitsunegirl Member Posts: 525

Id gladly give up my teleport spell on my Dirge for a healing spell... call it song of renewal or something.. I dont care... just make Bards not suck at soloing. >.<

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310

Ya know, this time, the replies seem more like the "Old Dev Double Speak" answers we used to get before I stopped playing back just before the Rise of Kunark came out.  In short they aren't saying NO which it seems like they really are saying but don't want to piss more people off.  I always hated that, "we're not going to say its impossible, but its not at the top of our plate", for gods sake just say NO, we can't do it and be done with it.  I got the free reactivation thing in my email, and I was going to give it a try again, but answers like these are seriously making me rethink reinstalling it.

Things seemed to be heading in the right direction with communications with the community, but I don't know anymore, seems like they are back sliding with the stupid double talk about what they are going to do and not do again.  Sorry, I don't like to be negative, but I feel strongly about this, as it is, one of the big reasons I decided to stop playing EQ II and take my money elsewhere.

• ohreallyohreally Member Posts: 106

Lts drop the roleplaying geekyness for a minute and get the real story..

The NPC that was at the castle was removed so players like you would stop asking when the castle would finally be open to players. The reason the castle isn't and probably will never be open to players is that there is no profit from revamping zones as old as Qeynos. Very few players are going to want to enter a castle to see what lies within when they are busy trying to raid or gain adventure levels in the end game tier....

Why would SOE waste their money by paying one of the 3 developers left to create a new zone inside of the castle or graphics for the inside if it's not open as a new zone?

Have none of you seen that SOE does NOTHING for any of their games that won't bring more money to their bottom line? LoN is a prime example...it's nothing but a HUGE money grab.....

• ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218

It just seems like more double talk honestly.

• DraltarDraltar Member Posts: 15

So in other words:

Dear devs,  in 4 years you havent added content that exists in practically every other mmorpg out there, things like  SITTING IN A CHAIR (its a f.....  interactive emote  ffs)????

If something like SITTING IN A CHAIR   requires a  LOT OF WORK from the devs......   i dont know what else to expect from this game really.

How about Epic weapons???   Look.....  you have 3 trees where you can SPEC  and yet you are PIGEON-HOLED  to  1 TYPE OF WEAPON   regarding EPICS.............   WELL DONE!!!!!

Not only   2 handed weapons are left completely aside for classes like  Zerkers, Guardians and the like....    the epic version of some weapons is compared widely to dildos on steroids.

WTG Devs!!!!!   You are the most un-creative team for the last 2 years!!!!

EQ2  Exodus?  Offering free playing to players until July WONT SOLVE YOUR LACK OF INTEREST IN THE PLAYER-BASE

SHOW VALID CHANGES  FOR A CHANGE IF YOU WANT TO KEEP INTEREST IN PEOPLE!!!!

Expansions are not the solution,  polishing and reforming the OLD WORLD IS!!!!    Fixing BROKEN SPECS since launch is!!!   Adding really interesting items to the game Is!!!!   Adding mini  PvP  arenas and  PvP Scenarios with real PvP rewards is!!!

And BTW     the years passed, the technology evolved and guess what......     the game still runs bad thanks to one of the lousiest game engines that ever existed.....................  once again...........   WTG  DEVS!!!!!!

I wonder where all that 4year money went..............      Blue-Ray in PS3 development?   Even that was a let down..........

I really feel EQ2 is going down the drain and get even more sad speaking as a 99 EQ1 player and EQ2 player since launch   to know that  this might really be the end of Everquest.

• jcnkcmojcnkcmo Member UncommonPosts: 14

Bring back Beastlords! I loved my Beastlord in EQ and would love to have one in EQII. Also my Illusionist in EQ was much cooler than the illusionists in EQII. Also add more mounts. Whatever happened to those lizard mounts the Iksars had? There's all kinds of mounts in Vanguard. It would be neat if we had loads of mounts to pick from in EQII. More clothing options would be great. I'd love a Duststinger mount! And of course more races and zones are always welcome. An underwater race (or two) and new underwater zones would be great.  I'd also like to see a "new" race that more closely resembles the old Erudites. And give characters more facial expressions. Humans and Half-Elves always look like they're mad or pouting. More fun pets that follow you around would also be, well, fun. ; ) Faedrakes would be nice for one. I love the Fae and Arasai, but a winged race that could actually take to the sky and really fly would also be awesome!

• mo0rbidmo0rbid Member Posts: 363

How awesome isnt this?

I've dug up some old trial account and given it to a friend so he can play with me :D

• smutsmut Member Posts: 250

I left the game because of these BS answers from the eq2 devs. My favorite class in EQ2 was gimped, like some of the other 24 classes in EQ2. The problem is, they put too many classes with out balancing them all. They claim diversity but when raiding pigeonholes you into 6 classes whats the point? Its 4 years later and those classes still have not been fixed. God forbid the class you like to play isn't good enough for high end raiding or sucks in groups. You'll have nothing to do at high end. I was hoping Rise of Kunark would be awesome, what with the epics, returning favorite zones and such. Then it comes out, epics are not even in the game yet, there is not one single heritage quest (come on, where is the greenmist katana from classic eq) and when the epics finally did come out, most of them sucked. For instance, the guardians have an uber epic but crusaders, who need help, have a gimp weapon. The high end group instances were very uninspiring, TONs of gear was nerfed 3 months after the expansion, making all that work to get those items useless. The only way you could level at a decent pace was to do thousands of stupid solo quests. Dungeon XP was very bad, but the 3 years before then, dungeon xp was decent. Why change it all of a sudden? The high end raid gear is badly itemized for the most part. The contested mobs are just rehashes of the same mobs from the last expansion.They are out of touch with the players playing EQ2. Good riddance, I left 4 months ago and I haven't missed it!

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

Dear Devs,

Remove all instancing from your game, both hard instancing and soft, on demand instancing, so we have a real MMOG. 

Add a significant battle loss penalty, aka death penalty, of experience loss, so the gameworld becomes something to respect and fear, zerging as a valid tactic disappears, and caution, planning, and exploration become important again.

Remove any instant travel opportunities which were created for convenience while minimizing the world and trivializing realistic travel times and thus immersion.

Immediately fire that despicable Smedley so your company can begin anew and garnish some respect and maybe I will play your product again.

Originally posted by RedwoodSap

Dear Devs,
    Remove all instancing from your game, both hard instancing and soft, on demand instancing, so we have a real MMOG. 
    Add a significant battle loss penalty, aka death penalty, of experience loss, so the gameworld becomes something to respect and fear, zerging as a valid tactic disappears, and caution, planning, and exploration become important again.
    Remove any instant travel opportunities which were created for convenience while minimizing the world and trivializing realistic travel times and thus immersion.
    Immediately fire that despicable Smedley so your company can begin anew and garnish some respect and maybe I will play your product again.

Sounds like youd rather be punished for not being able to kill the 50 bears for their paws... go back to EQ1 if thats what you want... and Im not trying to sound trollish here.  EQ2 was made for the casual gamer.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Heh, you can't sit in chairs in EQ2?  I guess I've taken that for granted for all these years in SWG... ;)

• ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218

Originally posted by RedwoodSap

Dear Devs,

Someone's angsty. That's not the kind of game EverQuest 2 is Redwood. Not all of us have the time devotion for a "hardcore" version of the game. No matter how good or bad that idea would be.

Originally posted by Obraik

Heh, you can't sit in chairs in EQ2?  I guess I've taken that for granted for all these years in SWG... ;)

I know, its ridiculous... and theres no sleep emote either... and not only that... Sarnak and Fae/Arasai dont even sit, they kneel... so we get two kneels instead of one. How utterly lazy.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

heh, so this would make you jealous then?

and possibly this too?

I'm surprised they can't just do what SOE does with SWG.  All characters resize to the same size when they sit in a chair, but it's rather hard to notice unless you actually look at it for a bit.  For instance, a super huge Wookiee can sit down in the same chair that tiny a Bothan can sit in.

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

what a bunch of useless nonsense they answerd like usual they never answer anything that is important like why do they add nothing new for months and months except increased bag slots blabla sigh this game is going straight to hell

Like I said in the first "Dear Devs" the SOE crew doesnt answer questions, they respond to them.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

I'm sorry, but EQ2 is not a cutting edge next generation MMO any longer. They appear to be stuck 4 years in the past with that claim. Yes, EQ2 was great for it's time. It got better and better up to the EOF expansion. Then it started to look and feel it's age once LOTRO was released. AOC only adds to this. 

EQ2 will level out with a small hardcore fan base mainly in to raiding if SOE doesn't invest to update the client/engine to make use of today's hardware. The current engine can't reach any higher since it's limited by the fact it's heavily CPU bound since some graphics in the game are by design assigned to CPU instead of the GPU. Shadows being one of them. All that power in today's GPU's left unused by the EQ2's engine. Not good when the engine can't make use of dual/quad core CPU's.

SOE need to bring EQ2 graphics on par with LOTRO. I use LOTRO as a benchmark, because no matter if you love it or hate it, it did set the standards for jaw dropping graphics in a High fantasy MMO. In my opinion anyway. Time to start an EQ3 SOE, or a EQ type prequel. Remember Aion will be giving you a good run for your money later this year in regards to subs.

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

eq2 never updates there game beside doing some maded up stupid events where you get some cloak or hat or whatever and then increased bag slots or whatever on every single update i just canceld my account my self no point in playing if they arent gonna update it with real content

• shozikushoziku Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I don't even play EQ2 but I was interested in seeing how they respond to player questions. I'm seeing this entirely from the outside, which is good because I have no blind wishful thinking towards or against the game.

From the dev responses I got this:
    "the game is fine just the way it is, and we won't be making any changes, but thank you anyway for yet another boring series of inputs"

So that means they're gonna just let the game die in the condition it is in right now.

Since the game itself is old an no longer cutting edge technology (I don't think it ever was) they're not going to sink any further revenue into it. Maintenance and existing functionality is all you can expect at this point. The *actual* next generation games are popping out now and EQ2 and WoW are paling in comparison.
  • mellobrimellobri Member UncommonPosts: 29

$oE is very well known for having a flagship game, updating it to their specs, and letting all the other games they run die.  They do not listen to customers, they do not fix things the community deams necessary to fix, they fix what they WANT to 'fix' (that's corporatese for 'nerf,' how many 'fixes' buffed characters in their games over the years?), and nothing else. 

They are working on their new game, The Agency, and that will probably become the 'flagship game' for them, and all the others will rot and fade out.  They did this to EQ when SWG came out, SWG when EQ2 came out, and they're going to do it to EQ2, and have already STARTED doing it to EQ2, because The Agency is coming out.  When The Agency comes out, it will be the same steamroller approach to customer service as every other game they have; fix only things they see wrong with it, and give the standard spin tactics to the community concerns you see here.  Take the easiest problems, that do NOT show there's anything wrong with the game, and address them as if there's nothing else wrong in their world. 

Why does this surprise anybody still?