Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting System Revealed!

StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

http://www.warhammeronline.com/index.php

What do you guys think of the new crafting ideas.  It appears to be pretty cool to me.  It is without a doubt innovative!  It seems somewhat simplistic to me and I am not sure how it will actually function, but it appears to be fun.  I absolutely hate recipe crafting systems as seen in WoW, so I'm very pleased to see that they didn't go that route.  However, I've always been a fan of the "grindy" system, I feel practice makes perfect, but I must admit it can get pretty tedious. 

Overall, I feel WAR is on to something pretty good.  I'd like to see how it actually works come release, but for the time being I am definatly buying into their crafting system what do you guys think?

Comments

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

The biggest plus for me is experimentation. You'll be able to find bigger better results just by mixing and matching different ingredients...and not too much grinding...that's great. Now here I know people will just say "Yeah but there will be sites like Thottbot that tell you everything." Well, you can always choose to not go to those sites, right?

The biggest downside for me is kind of what MJ said in the podcast...sounded like alchemy made pots and the pots lasted for certain amounts of time. I'm all for buffs, but...I just hope PvP doesn't get seriously unbalanced where everyone has to have pot buffs to simply survive. I guess if everyone has equal or close to equal buffs then yeah, but from the system it sounded like some pots are going to be better than others. I hope it all balances out.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• PureChaosPureChaos Member Posts: 839

I enjoy it alot , only down side is there are very few craft able things, seems they dont want armor or weps or anything like that to be created.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Originally posted by PureChaos

I enjoy it alot , only down side is there are very few craft able things, seems they dont want armor or weps or anything like that to be created.

Yes I agree with you on this.  I am a little disappointed on not being able to create armor and weapons, as that is usually a fun aspect of a game for me.  However, I'm always willing to try something new!  If done correctly, I won't care at all that I can't make weapons and armor.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

Someone in another thread had a pretty clever suggestion (if that person comes by and sees this, by all means take credit). He suggested that if they implemented weapon/armor crafting, it could serve another purpose to the world. By using it to upgrade keep guards when you take keeps; different weapons and armor would be available for them to equip depending on the tier level and if the guards died the weapons and armor would be lost, creating a constant need for crafters and also another way to actively control the defense level of your keeps even while you're not there. I think it's really smart and hope Mythic decides to do something like that later on.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

^^Oh thats a neat idea!   Need to forward that to Mythic!

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

its nice that we have to experiment to find the recipes, but what if there are a million combinations? On the other hand, if there are 4 ingredients for each slot, and its always the same 4 types of ingredients its pretty obvious what to put together.

its also nice that there is no grind, your crafting skill raises with your level.

You will need 2 gathering skills for each craft but can only have 1 gathering and 1 crafting. This is like other mmorpgs though, ie. sometimes you will need some leather with your metal bars

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I love the idea. The one thing that bothers me though maybe I missed something was the Talisman. If I understood that correctly Talismans will only be used in high quality items. If that is indeed the case it would seem there would be a massive amount of Potion makers and few Talisman crafters. Again I may have missed something or just not thinking of something but thats my only concern. Part of the fun of crafting (at least for me) is selling what I make. Overall though I am verry excited to see this system at work!

• eggthiefeggthief Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Arcona

its nice that we have to experiment to find the recipes, but what if there are a million combinations? On the other hand, if there are 4 ingredients for each slot, and its always the same 4 types of ingredients its pretty obvious what to put together.
    its also nice that there is no grind, your crafting skill raises with your level.
    You will need 2 gathering skills for each craft but can only have 1 gathering and 1 crafting. This is like other mmorpgs though, ie. sometimes you will need some leather with your metal bars

u need 3 gatherings for apothecery tho.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

So far the impressions are that crafting will do an obvious switch to ingredients.

Ingredient X has Effect Y on a potion, Duration +Xtime, Power -Y, Number of Potions -Z and then a different scheme if they are the main ingredient.

Downside to this would be that it is a system that's going to heavily encourage websites keeping lists and recording everything and just letting people sort it on what they need/want so they cna find ingredients that suit their needs best and where they can find them and what drops them.

This goes fully against the idea of the ToK which is designed to keep you ingame instead of having to look things up.

• MaladakMaladak Member Posts: 50

I like the concept as it reminds me of the potion making in ES: Oblivion. It'll be interesting to see items made that might have the same name but have slightly altered effects.

The idea of making armor/weapons for guards is a keeper. Don't think any games save for RTS use something like that.

--------------------------------------------

When you do something right people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

• GuileGuile Member Posts: 37

The system looks great, much better than WoW's crafting system i must say.

I'm also glad there isn't Armour/Weapon crafting, as that can be detrimental to Weapons/Armour received from PvP and PvE.

The only problem i can see though is that Talismans are created for high level items, yet what is the point in a level 10 or 20 (cant remember) creating talismans?

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Guile

I'm also glad there isn't Armour/Weapon crafting, as that can be detrimental to Weapons/Armour received from PvP and PvE.
    The only problem i can see though is that Talismans are created for high level items, yet what is the point in a level 10 or 20 (cant remember) creating talismans?

I'm not claiming to know how it all works, but they said high quality items, not necessarily high lvl items.  I'm guessing it's Diabloesque with sockets on better equipment.  To make a WoW comparison, maybe a green and blue have 1 slot for a talisman, while a purple has 2 slots.  This is completely made up, but it gets the idea across (as I understand it).

• SepulcherSepulcher Member Posts: 216
    Originally posted by Pheace

So far the impressions are that crafting will do an obvious switch to ingredients.

Ingredient X has Effect Y on a potion, Duration +Xtime, Power -Y, Number of Potions -Z and then a different scheme if they are the main ingredient.

Downside to this would be that it is a system that's going to heavily encourage websites keeping lists and recording everything and just letting people sort it on what they need/want so they cna find ingredients that suit their needs best and where they can find them and what drops them.

This goes fully against the idea of the ToK which is designed to keep you ingame instead of having to look things up.

Unless the ToK tracks your crafting discoveries...

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Originally posted by Sepulcher

I would hope that ToK tracks your crafting discovers because if it doesn't then WAR is essentially encouraging people to use websites to play the game due to the nature of the crafting.  I'm a firm believer that everything you need in the game should actually be in the game so that it is efficient and deters the use of third party programs. 

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Originally posted by Sepulcher

You obviously didn't read what I said otherwise you'd know that would be totally irrelevant.

• BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806

Originally posted by killion81

Originally posted by Guile

I'm not claiming to know how it all works, but they said high quality items, not necessarily high lvl items.  I'm guessing it's Diabloesque with sockets on better equipment.  To make a WoW comparison, maybe a green and blue have 1 slot for a talisman, while a purple has 2 slots.  This is completely made up, but it gets the idea across (as I understand it).

Yup, he said Rare and powerful magical items, but I hope they make slots for every weapon.

If it was up to me, I would make 2 talisman slots for green and blue and 1 slot for purple. If you worked alittle, you could get your green and blue loot almost comparable to purple.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Originally posted by Ascension08

Someone in another thread had a pretty clever suggestion (if that person comes by and sees this, by all means take credit). He suggested that if they implemented weapon/armor crafting, it could serve another purpose to the world. By using it to upgrade keep guards when you take keeps; different weapons and armor would be available for them to equip depending on the tier level and if the guards died the weapons and armor would be lost, creating a constant need for crafters and also another way to actively control the defense level of your keeps even while you're not there. I think it's really smart and hope Mythic decides to do something like that later on.

My problem with this is that I believe alot of people wouldn't like just handing their crafted items over to NPCs.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• antipodantipod Member Posts: 27

I am glad they are trying for another approach with crafting compared to WoW and most other MMOs out there. I like the experimenting point of view which I think really will make it fun.

BUT, and a big BUT (that also has been mentioned in the thread) is that systems like this really makes people look everything up on the net because from experience I know people really are lazy and want things served for them on a silver plate. Someone mentioned that if you want you don't have to do that to make it more fun for you, but really, how fun is it to make stuff that most likely will be of lover quality, that you can't sell ,because everyone else has looked up the best recepies on the net and are crafting the only things that will sell?

A system like this needs to be personalized so one combination of items will have different outcomes for different people. Then those having the best recepies have been either working their arses off, or have been extremely lucky. As it should be.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Stellos

I would hope that ToK tracks your crafting discovers because if it doesn't then WAR is essentially encouraging people to use websites to play the game due to the nature of the crafting. 

As soon as there is an in-game tracking added to the crafting then its essentially a recipe crafting system once again, and thats what Mythic is trying to avoid!

The way I see the crafting working is you're always going to get a unique potion even if you use the same ingredients.  Say you combine the mats to create an HP potion, you did it once before and u got 1 HP potion that heals 200HP, only this time you get 2 HP potions that heal 75 HP, when you do it again you get 1 that heals 100 HP, and again for 3 that heals 110 HP or 4 that heals 50 HP.

Along those lines is how I believe its going to work!  You'll never get the same results everytime, although you may eventually get 1 HP potion that heals 200 HP again. 

This way eliminates the recipe system completely and there won't really be anyway to ever track exactly what you're gonna end up with.  I think its brilliant and the end result eliminates websites providing the exact info, thus keeping players in the game!  heh

• antipodantipod Member Posts: 27

The way I see the crafting working is you're always going to get a unique potion even if you use the same ingredients.  Say you combine the mats to create an HP potion, you did it once before and u got 1 HP potion that heals 200HP, only this time you get 2 HP potions that heal 75 HP, when you do it again you get 1 that heals 100 HP, and again for 3 that heals 110 HP or 4 that heals 50 HP.
    Along those lines is how I believe its going to work!  You'll never get the same results everytime, although you may eventually get 1 HP potion that heals 200 HP again. 
    This way eliminates the recipe system completely and there won't really be anyway to ever track exactly what you're gonna end up with.  I think its brilliant and the end result eliminates websites providing the exact info, thus keeping players in the game!  heh

Now there is a problem with what you are describing. Mr Jacobs (if I remember his name correctly) did say that what they were planning was to be rid of the tedious grinding of other systems to make it fun. Fun was one of the keywords in hos description.

He did mention that one potion, say your 200 HP one, lasts shorter and you could get a 100HP one that lasts for double the time. That way you'll end up with potions for two different purposes.... but, the problem is when you explicitly need that 200 HP and no one else. Suddenly you have to grind maybe five times the amount of potions than what you would do with a 'normal' system. Isn't that opposite to what they wanted with the system?

And as you described, it has nothing to do with experimenting as people will just look up 'HP potion' on the net and start to grind like crazy for that 200 HP potion.

Now this sound like someting that isn't fun at all.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

As always it's easy to talk about something and hard to implement it and make it as good as it sounds; but if they manage to do so I believe this looks interesting. I've never been much of a fan of crafting - and I'll probably never be - and the system may be innovative, but it's not ground breaking and does definitely not sound encouraging enough for me to enjoy myself with that as much as the other parts of the game.

• linedawglinedawg Member UncommonPosts: 123

The crafting system seems to have a great design. I love the fact that they added an experimental aspect to the system. That will allow people to become creative and prevent all items from being the same. But the one thing I don’t like is the fact that there are only two crafting skills you can make. What happened to other traditional crafting talents like Armor smith, Weapon smith and so forth. I really thing they need to add some additional crafting skills.  

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621
    Originally posted by linedawg

The crafting system seems to have a great design. I love the fact that they added an experimental aspect to the system. That will allow people to become creative and prevent all items from being the same. But the one thing I don’t like is the fact that there are only two crafting skills you can make. What happened to other traditional crafting talents like Armor smith, Weapon smith and so forth. I really thing they need to add some additional crafting skills.  

And they probably will, with time.

That CEO that were interviewed said that they wanted to create a system that are easy expandable both in depth and quantity, so what we probably will be seeing is a small and simple crafting system at first, but as the game grows it will have more professions to dabble in and more effects to experiment with, maybe even a log that says what results past experiments got, but as others have said this goes against their no recipes vision and may be left out just because of that.

Anyhow, this system sounds fresh and exciting and i can't wait to try it.