Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Effect install-error workaround

billiebillie Member UncommonPosts: 400

"Does your Mass Effect PC install process crap out because of corrupted files, even when installing from the retail DVD? Does it spit out moronic error messages about the non-existent saferun.exe and saferun.dll?
About ready to return the game for a refund? If so, hold up, because BioWare has released a rather complicated workaround to bypass their majorly screwed installer...

You will need:
A) access to the contents of the data directory (either off CD, download, temp files, etc)
B) WinRar or 7zip or any tool that can extract .rar files.
Steps:
1) Create a folder on your system somewhere. Default for the installer is "C:Program FilesMass Effect" or a games folder.
2) Open each .rar file in the utility chosen (WinRar for e.g.)
3) Extract each .rar file into this folder. If you are using an English build, you won't need to extract any .rar file that has a different language code (_es, _fr, _de, _it, etc)
4) After extracting all files, your folder should look like this:
...Mass EffectBinaries
...Mass EffectBioGame
...Mass Effectdata
...Mass Effectdocs
...Mass EffectEngine
...Mass EffectMassEffectLauncher.exe

5) Run the MassEffectLauncher.exe and quit immediately.
6) Run the "Mass Effect (tm)_code.exe" from the data folder. Enter your CD Key, click next, it will exit out.
7) Run the Launcher again, hit "Config". under the "Repair" tab, you can re-create your shortcuts if running XP. If running Vista, I'm sorry, you can't add the game to the Game Explorer in these instructions.
8) Quit back to the launcher.
9) Play! (everything should work nicely now)

For solutions to other issues try the official technical support forum."

notice there are many pages of reported problems with GF8800gt gpu.

Comments

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702

so whats the skinny on this PC version?

does it have all that crazy security that gamers dont like? activations? im not sure if i want to buy it just yet.

i havent looked for it but my bro-inlaw says its out on torrentz, working.

it would be a shame if the pirated version worked flawlessly and the retail had all them problems you noted.

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-

• LightleafLightleaf Member Posts: 61

I think it's just poor packing, it wouldn't be the first time I've had to rip a game and run the disc files from my hard drive.

I also heard that you can't save somewhere in the game, but I'm not sure on specifics.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Bought it Sunday.  Installed perfectly and ran smoothly.  No issues here.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Lightleaf

I also heard that you can't save somewhere in the game, but I'm not sure on specifics.

There are very few areas you cant save.  I hit F6 and save 90% of the time. I have only started the game, so I am not sure on the further points.