Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan is a big SUCCESS!!

2»

Comments

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Originally posted by zelpher

The game just came out ...So just because everyone bought it means it's good? No your reason is flawed like i said sales mean shit wait till a month is up. I even bought the game and I hate it. And 1million subs LMAO i doubt they keep 250k subs. I never said is was gonna dissapear but it is not going to be a big sucess. OH yeah and if warhammer doesn't live up to the hype I will bash them aswell. Sorry but AOC didnt live up to the hype!!!!11
    <modedit>

Sorry but your full of shit.

I had to say it. Oh and you need to learn to type. Using 'teh' and '!!!11' and terrible spelling makes you sound like a WoW kiddie. Not saying you are, but drop the habit, it makes you look stupid.

• DosasDosas Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by Fion

The game just came out ...So just because everyone bought it means it's good? No your reason is flawed like i said sales mean shit wait till a month is up. I even bought the game and I hate it. And 1million subs LMAO i doubt they keep 250k subs. I never said is was gonna dissapear but it is not going to be a big sucess. OH yeah and if warhammer doesn't live up to the hype I will bash them aswell. Sorry but AOC didnt live up to the hype!!!!11

Sorry but your full of shit.

I had to say it. Oh and you need to learn to type. Using 'teh' and '!!!11' and terrible spelling makes you sound like a WoW kiddie. Not saying you are, but drop the habit, it makes you look stupid.

• walker68walker68 Member UncommonPosts: 156

Ill give this game a try eventually but not without a buddy key or  later day  free trial.  With it being summer and Ive been Beta testing another  big named game thats due out this fall.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by observer

These are only European markets by the way, would like to see some North American numbers.
    Germany

1. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (PC)

2. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)  <<--Notice how consoles are split

3. Wii Fit (Wii)

4. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

5. Grand Theft Auto IV (360) <<--Notice how consoles are split

6. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures Collector's Edition (PC)

7. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (DS)

8. Wii Play (Wii)

9. Brain Training (DS)

10. Mario Kart DS (DS)

Sweden

1. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (PC)

2. GTA IV (360)<<--Notice how consoles are split

3. GTA IV (PS3)<<--Notice how consoles are split

4. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PS2)

5. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

6. Haze (PS3)

7. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (PC)

8. The Sims 2 Kitchen and Bath Interior Design Stuff (PC)

9. Counter-Strike 1: Anthology (PC)

10. World of Warcraft (PC)

Spain

1. Wii Play (Wii)

2. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

3. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)<<--Notice how consoles are split

4. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures (PC)

5. Wii Fit (Wii)

6. Grand Theft Auto IV (360)<<--Notice how consoles are split

7. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS2)

8. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

9. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PSP)

10. 42 All-Time Classics (DS)

So if we added GTAIV on both consoles, does AoC still beat them?  And do we add AoC Xbox 360 when that launches too?

Netherlands

1. (1) Grand Theft Auto 4 - X-Box 360

2. (2) Grand Theft Auto 4 - PS3

3. (-) Age Of Conan Hyborian Adventures - PC

4. (3) WII Fit - WII

5. (4) Mario Kart - WII

6. (9) Mario & Sonic At The Olympyc Games - WII

7. (5) Brain Training - Nintendo DS

8. (8) Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games Nintendo DS

9. (10) Super Mario Galaxy - WII

10. (7) Pro Evolution soccer 2008 - PS2

British top 10

1.  Grand Theft Auto IV

2.  Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures

3.  Haze

4.  Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games

5.  Wii Play

6.  Rock Band

7.  Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

8.  Mario Kart Wii

9.  FIFA 08

10.Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

So ummm, big deal if it has more sales than GTA IV for the month; as a majority of the fans of the series have already bought!  When that majority is bought up, the sales slowly drop and then the next big title that month{being AoC atm} takes the spot!  The GTA series is popular, but not enough to hold good rank for a long period of time!

Once the free month is over those that stick with it will let everyone know across the interweb how their server population is holding!  Since Funcom I doubt is going to release #'s anytime soon with the fiasco thats been going on with them!

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Many of the MMOS that have come out recently more then 95% of teh current MMO player has bought them the day they came out cause everyone is looking for teh next best thng. Your also talking about  europe which is the home base for Funcom.  Sales don't count for shit in the MMO market it's the number of accounts still active after a month. Here is a list DDO, Lineage 2, City of heroes...and many more but don't feel like entertaining a monkey. Ask anyone on AOC if they will be around after teh free month most will say no just killing time.
    <modedit>

I'll be around after the free month as will be everyone in my guild. The game rocks!! Sorrry you hate it so much, you never said why though so i guess maybe the setting wasn't your cup of tea or maybe you found the gore and occasional breasts morally offending. That being your opinion I won't try and chang it, but don't think for a instant you speak for the majority of gamers.

BTW am at work or would be playing right now rather then reading these posts

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

Our AoC chapter has over 1 000 people in it and not a single person left or is planning to leave - this game is that good !

Infact its so good we are getting huge influx of people from EQ2 now ( something that we did not anticipate ).

It really isn;t worth it to listen to all the people complaining about things they have no idea about.  It's a great game, go buy it, play it, you will like it !

Funcom is doing a great job on patching, maintenance etc..

• rockyboy04rockyboy04 Member Posts: 29

congratz to AOC for the success, these wow kiddies cant accept aoc as the new king of mmo's. so all you kids stay on your ugly mmo's AOC ftw!

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by Cryptor

Our AoC chapter has over 1 000 people in it and not a single person left or is planning to leave - this game is that good !
    Infact its so good we are getting huge influx of people from EQ2 now ( something that we did not anticipate ).
    It really isn;t worth it to listen to all the people complaining about things they have no idea about.  It's a great game, go buy it, play it, you will like it !
    Funcom is doing a great job on patching, maintenance etc..
    We had alot of ppl from EQ2 too.

I think its a game that will mature to be something even more wonderful.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

There never was an open beta.  It was a fileplanet beta.  There's a big difference.

No not really.  It served as a preview for the more mainstream PC audience.

Anyway, AOC is going to be successful.  Someone finally had the balls to overhaul MMO melee combat and its really what pushes AOC above most recent MMO releases.  The voice acting is on par with EQ2, the environment graphics look more realistic and the character models are the best I've seen in an MMO yet.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• shadenisshadenis Member Posts: 217

Originally posted by Chieftan

There never was an open beta.  It was a fileplanet beta.  There's a big difference.

Anyway, AOC is going to be successful.  Someone finally had the balls to overhaul MMO melee combat and its really what pushes AOC above most recent MMO releases.  The voice acting is on par with EQ2, the environment graphics look more realistic and the character models are the best I've seen in an MMO yet.

All the rest is backwards , so does it matter? No!

Please stop calling AOC different, like i said for hundred times, EVE is diffferent.

IF AOC was different, it had a changing world  , away from the static WOW/EQ clone/formula design and wasn't a simplistic game.

AOC is not different , the only thing new AOC has is a combat system. The rest all has been done before.

I am just honestly here , since calling AOC different is calling WOW a revolutionary game

All that stuff like character models and graphics are second and game play is first priority. FC instead , has choosed graphics over game play in my opinion.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    the old days, the days of gold.

representer of euhporium, shade/amity , high member of the council.

played

UO,M59,EVE,L2,AC,GW,WOW,LOTRO,SWG pre cu/nge,COH/COV, VG,TR,L1, POTBS,Neocron 1 and 2, DAOC pre TOA and age of conan

playing: EVE ONLINE
    Waiting for Earthrise, FE, bioware mmo, guild wars 2, DFO , mortal online , the chronicles of spellborn

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

Shadenis

Static or non static world is just one difference.

Age of Conan has

New combat system and defence.

More artistic immersion, high quality music and sound effects

More real and immersive landscapes, finnaly a MMO with a non bland terrain MMO.

THE only Low Fantasy game.

See, it is unique enough to say, it is different, maybe it is not the difference you would like, but still.

As far as I dont like WoW, well, yes, WoW is a revolutuionary MMO ... in popularity.

If you think the only difference that counts is the one you want, you are wrong.

And again, all games can be simple and all games can be complex, it is on you... remember, games.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

First, being a financial success and being a good game are 2 different things.

Second, we have seen so many games being reviewed extremely well and still fall flat on their noses.

Finally, wait and see. A success isn't baked right after launch, it is how many STAY on the long run. Many people will just try it out and then may return to their old MMOs. First sales tell nothing about a success.

So it is way too early to call the trumpets for either failure or success at this time, and it is DEFINITELY too early to make a realistic review.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by shadenis

Originally posted by Chieftan

All the rest is backwards , so does it matter? No!

Please stop calling AOC different, like i said for hundred times, EVE is diffferent.

IF AOC was different, it had a changing world  , away from the static WOW/EQ clone/formula design and wasn't a simplistic game.

AOC is not different , the only thing new AOC has is a combat system. The rest all has been done before.

I am just honestly here , since calling AOC different is calling WOW a revolutionary game

All that stuff like character models and graphics are second and game play is first priority. FC instead , has choosed graphics over game play in my opinion.

You can say EVE is different 100 more times and it won't change the fact that only a very small percentage of people like it enough to keep playing.

Combat is the single most important aspect of any game where combat is the main focus of the game.  If that's how you spend the majority of your time in the game, it better be fun and satisfying to execute attacks.  AOC didn't completely rewrite MMO combat but most improvements in the evolution of gaming have been incremental and even subtle.  Sometimes that's all it takes.

Characters graphics are very important as well.  Even in WoW there was a major population imbalance in it for a long time because the Horde character graphics didn't appeal to most people. 

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Originally posted by winter

BTW am at work or would be playing right now rather then reading these posts

QFT! Lol

And yea, the game is a success and a very large portion of gamers have no plans of leaving any time soon. I guess people won't accept that until about 3 years from now when it's still doing great and they have to admit it. :p

Our guild as well is having a very large influx of players. I mean 3305 Local has hundreds and hundreds of members, throughout the MMOG 'universe.' We are almost more a net community then a formal guild. But more then were anticipated have come to AoC and every day we are adding at least 3 and often a dozen new members, new to 3305 and AoC, many coming over from other MMOGs, and every last one of them loving the game.

AoC has problems, and it appears to lack any real solid high end PvE content. What else is new really? Every MMOG has it's early troubles and lack of end game content. Hell some come with zero content past a certain level. It's a lot of work. For some fanboi's who think their upcoming game will be flawless. They have a rude awakening ahead of them.

Others who bash AoC are simply jaded from all MMOGs, and will never be satisfied.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Yep, AoC has played their hype cards right.  Their initial sales overwhelmingly indicate the "release" was a success.  As far as the long term ........ to be determined.  I honestly don't feel the game will fail (become non profitable) in the long term.  It will maintain mediocre numbers in the years to come as it is yet another triple A MMO that has the depth of a puddle.  The core design is the same theme park we've been playing for years with a new title and wrapping .

But hey ...... most seem to love that kind of game ....... right?  Otherwise they wouldn't keep throwing them at us.

~Hairysun~