Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Jorgen Tharaldsen on XBox360

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Recently, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood had the opportunity to sit down to talk with Funcom Product Manager Jorgen Tharaldsen and talk about the XBox360 implementation for AoC.

Recently, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood had the opportunity to sit down to talk with Funcom Product Manager Jorgen Tharaldsen and talk about the XBox360 implementation for AoC.

Jorgen Tharaldsen on XBox360 and AoC

Check out the whole video here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• TheGreyManTheGreyMan Member Posts: 325

coolio

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

at least on the xbox360 if you buy conan you can be sure its going to run smoothly when you play it . also it ll mean you wont have to rush out an buy a high spec gaming pc just a relativly cheap consol .

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I would try it on the Xbox 360. 

One negative is interaction though.  If talking to other players is over the headset, I don't know how much I like that.  And right now if I have a question I can type it into chat.  With a headset I'm not sure how that would work. 

Also, I've played xbox 360 games and used the headset before.  There are some really, really immature people that will scream or curse into their headsets.  And especially with the cursing or the abusive language, it's more irritating hearing it than reading it in chat, atleast for me.

One obvious solution would be a keyboard interface option for 360 though, maybe something that would plug into that usb port in the back.

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464

Current Games:

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464

Originally posted by Terranah

One negative is interaction though.  If talking to other players is over the headset, I don't know how much I like that.  And right now if I have a question I can type it into chat.  With a headset I'm not sure how that would work. 

Also, I've played xbox 360 games and used the headset before.  There are some really, really immature people that will scream or curse into their headsets.  And especially with the cursing or the abusive language, it's more irritating hearing it than reading it in chat, atleast for me.

One obvious solution would be a keyboard interface option for 360 though, maybe something that would plug into that usb port in the back.

There is the chat pad for the 360, that is great for messaging.

In regards to headsets yeah....check my blog the Teamspeak/VoiP entry. I was playing The Club on the 360 at the time.

The 360 community can really make or break games for me, thank god they have that mute button!

Current Games:

• smartkidzsmartkidz Member Posts: 252

This is interesting. I was wondering how AOC would work on a 360. Does anyone know when it's coming out though?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    =The best bash.org quote ever=
    Curt teh Juggler: our graduation ceremony was today, and right when some gamer nerd got his diploma, someone in the audience played the zelda "get item" music and he did the zelda spin-hold-out-item stance
    Curt teh Juggler: it was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever.

• TalynTalyn Member UncommonPosts: 587

The 360 accepts any USB keyboard (including wireless) perfectly fine, and they have the "chat pad" accessory that snaps directly into the controller as well.

Keep in mind, this is an MMO so you're not playing on XBL with the public "Halo kids" who give XBL such a bad name. Added to that, it's as yet unproven just how much of a hullabaloo (always wanted to use that word) the situation will become over XBL Gold members who also pay to use the XBL services itself, in addition to paying the monthly fee for an MMO. (XBL Silver (non-paying) members can play MMO's as well, but not the XBL services.)

I'm hoping there's enough drama to maybe get Microsoft to adjust their pricing scheme, but I'm not holding my breath that a) they'll change or b) there'll be that many clamoring for the 360 AoC.

i m wondering if theres a keyboard available for the 360 ? if thats the case i dont see why it would be a problem . funnily enough from what i ve seen of the game with all the instancing etc and the combat style i ve thought a few times this could easily appeal to the consol gamer .

i think it may even do better on it .

• morimurmorimur Member Posts: 4

i would rather play it on the pc, but seeing the specs are crazy for it i will need to wait for the xbox version and hope it matches up to the pc.  not sure how it will play as the football manager game is ackward on xbox.  wait and see, but if it is duff we can just trade it in.

and yes usb keyboards work fine on the 360.

well if usb keyboards work well on it an given the xbox has some sort of hard drive maybe there not going to that much different . theres players on every online rpg that can be a pain and thats as true on the pc as the xbox.

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

My computer is a 2.8g with 2 gigs of ram, and an ATI 9800 pro video card.  I built this computer a few years ago when I was a die hard beta tester.

I stopped beta testing games when it became more of a lotto then a matter of experience and skills to test.

So I haven't upgraded my PC. This is the first MMO to catch my attention in awhile, well Vanguard did, but that was a failure in my opinion. 

So rather then spending a lot of money to build a new computer for AoC this company is giving me the oppurtunity to play a high end MMORPG on my xbox360. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am. The fact that this has been in the works since the start of development means even more to me. This means that they have looked at it from more aspects then any other company has before, and that they don't have to waterdown either version to make the other work.

The downfall of this game comming to the xbox360? well, the fact that it is scheduled 6 months to a year after the PC release. What does this mean to me as a player? Well it means that all of the PC players will be elitist a-holes because they have a huge head start. It means that guilds will most likey be seperated by PC and xbox360.  There was a thread on another forum of a guy stating, so what is there to do after lvl45 besides grind? well, that tells me that some of the hardcore PC players will most likely be bored and or gone before I get to play.

Has anyone tried to join a PvP based MMO 6 months late?  You are a dead avatar walking. All of the bored high level players are too busy camping your spawn points and killing noobs that a new player can't even get a fair start.

What is the answers to these problems? When you release the xbox360 version will there be a new server?

Not so nice guy!

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by googajoob7

at least on the xbox360 if you buy conan you can be sure its going to run smoothly when you play it . also it ll mean you wont have to rush out an buy a high spec gaming pc just a relativly cheap consol .
    If only that was true.

Only one MMORPG is currently avaible on the Xbox360, Final Fantasy XI and it runs absolutely terrible. The framerate drops well below 30 fps in towns, even when nothing is going on on and nobody is around. Cutscenes are just as bad, tons of slowdown there as well.

I'm curious how this game is going to work with content updates, considering that the vast majority of Xbox360 owners have a 20gb hard drive.

• SpiritraiserSpiritraiser Member UncommonPosts: 175

wii could be interesting for AoC though.... Swing that!

• lordtwistedlordtwisted Member UncommonPosts: 570

Originally posted by Gameloading

If only that was true.

Only one MMORPG is currently avaible on the Xbox360, Final Fantasy XI and it runs absolutely terrible. The framerate drops well below 30 fps in towns, even when nothing is going on on and nobody is around. Cutscenes are just as bad, tons of slowdown there as well.

I'm curious how this game is going to work with content updates, considering that the vast majority of Xbox360 owners have a 20gb hard drive.

I think the current install on a PC is 30gigs. I wouldn't expect it to be any less for the 360. So those of use with a 20g HD will most likely have to upgrade to the bigger HD. This isn't a great thing. but seeing as how my PC would need a new mother board, chipset, and video card to play the game, I think the bigger HD for the 360 is much cheaper.

Just curious, I played FFXI on the PC and the PS2 and never noticed any problems, is it possible your fram rate drop is just your 350, or your internet service? I have not seeing anyone else comment on this problem before.

Not so nice guy!

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Well one thing you dont have to worry too much about...its not taking 6months for people to max out in this game.  There are allready max level characters running around and the hardcore guilds are going to be done with all the endgame material within the first month so by the time you join if you join on the 360 the worst of the aholes will either be gone from the game from boredom or not doing much but whatever advanced raids they might have at that time in any case. Plus it will only take about 2 weeks to catch up to any of the max level characters.

• GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

You can attach a keyboard to the 360 but most people would go for the messenger kit I imagine - linky -

Your point on screaminjg kids on XBL is true, but depends on what game you're playing.

I play COD4 and Halo3 with my communications set so only friends can talk to me. Other games aren't nearly as bad as they aren't so mass-market roping in the immature crowd.

I think AoC will fall in to the later bracket, mainly because it's rated 18+ but also as people will have to work at it to achieve anything. And as with most MMO's if you act like a tit you get stone-walled.

I will be playing it mainly through the meesenger kit as I don't don't really want to spend all myt hours in game with a headset on and I prefer text chat in MMO's. Maybe that wil change though.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Consoles have bad interfaces, so are not competitive enough to play with PC players. So I bet these xbox users will have a separate server.  Hope the game is not nerfed to make the console players happy.

• GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by lordtwisted

If only that was true.

I think the current install on a PC is 30gigs. I wouldn't expect it to be any less for the 360. So those of use with a 20g HD will most likely have to upgrade to the bigger HD. This isn't a great thing. but seeing as how my PC would need a new mother board, chipset, and video card to play the game, I think the bigger HD for the 360 is much cheaper.

Just curious, I played FFXI on the PC and the PS2 and never noticed any problems, is it possible your fram rate drop is just your 350, or your internet service? I have not seeing anyone else comment on this problem before.

If there was a need to upgrade the HD how would existing data get transferred?  

I mean I'm kean to play AoC on the 360 but not at the expense of loosing all my game saves and re-downloading every map pack, expansion and game patch that I currently have. That would be a serious block for me.

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by Garfunkel

If only that was true.

I mean I'm kean to play AoC on the 360 but not at the expense of loosing all my game saves and re-downloading every map pack, expansion and game patch that I currently have. That would be a serious block for me.

pc version is currently 24gb. i don't think they will use highest quality textures on xbox cause running the game with that high textures needs more than 2gb ram on pc. so if the use only medium textures i am sure they can get it sized down to fit on a 20gb harddisk (but you probably won't have much space left for other games). also tehre is the theoretical option taht the game does not install all data to harrdisk and instead accesses some data from dvd (this probably will be limited to data that is less likely to be changed in future patches, like opening movies, environment textures).

also that they are releasing later on xbox gives them a good chance to get those bigger patches done before xbox release to avoid the bigger need for additional space for these patches.

so i guess theoretically they can get the game to run on 20gb hd (if players don't have much other data), but they will probably recommend a bigger hd.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Garfunkel

If only that was true.

When you buy the 120gb hard drive it comes with a cable that allows you to transfer content from your old Hard drive to the new one.

• OziasOzias Member Posts: 128

I for one am very interested on how this game will run on 360. Can't wait to see some screenies as they progress

• ShastaHawkShastaHawk Member Posts: 31

All I can say is thank god for the mute button  Since my pc cant handle AOC, I'm glad its coming out for the 360