Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To the "OMG! Clone!" people...

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Zip your lip or develop a completely original, successful MMO.

Comments

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

Bam. You sure told them.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Originally posted by jusomdude

For this we have software companies, but the customer decide if they like a game or not. I think your litle sentence doesnt contribute that much, dont you think so ?  The mmorpg market is a huge million bucks market and if still people are playing and demanding such clone games and companies make money with it, which is the only reason to make games for the masses, there wil be always companies who try to make a similar succes with just a similar game, taking less risks. Your contribution sounds more like "shut up or make a game byyourself", but thats not how it works. There will be always new youngsters, for them even the clones are new to them whereas you and me are getting older and get used to all the available "junk" out there.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by spizz

For this we have software companies, but the customer decide if they like a game or not. I think your litle sentence doesnt contribute that much, dont you think so ?  The mmorpg market is a huge million bucks market and if still people are playing and demanding such clone games and companies make money with it, which is the only reason to make games for the masses, there wil be always companies who try to make a similar succes with just a similar game, taking less risks. Your contribution sounds more like "shut up or make a game byyourself", but thats not how it works. There will be always new youngsters, for them even the clones are new to them whereas you and me are getting older and get used to all the available "junk" out there.

This wasn't about what customers like what games, it's about the customer wanting something that they don't even know. Basicly, I'm looking for these clone callers to tell me what their idea of a completely original MMORPG is...

I'm doubtful that anyone will come up with something 100% unique.

just FYI, I mean to say MMORPG where I have MMO.

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

OMG... this thread is a clone!

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

Well no game can be 100% original, even if it is.(somebody will find a game made in 1982 with one of the  same features) There can be alot of new games that would be really different from the current attack of the clones we have now.

If you think about it, even games like tabula rasa is alot like wow but with a different "theme"

What i want is a game with no levels, no quests, no mobs, no grind, and only one server. With the core goal of small clans trying to expand there territory by fighting other small clans. The key feature i want to see is building my own defenses that way the combat is different every time you raid other clans, everyone would have there own strategies and hopefully if its designed right there is no best way.

A few years ago there was new games coming out all the time that were very different neocron eve, planetside, endless ages, motor city online, auto assault, the sims online ...etc. Now you may not like these games ,but there should be enough original games for everyone not just wow aoc war eq2 lotr...etc.

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• techlordtechlord Member Posts: 220

That's what Independent MMO Developers like myself are attempting to do. But, in all reality as a developer you do not want deviate too far from the expected features that define the genre. Otherwise, the game will come with a learning curve too steep to enjoy.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Originally posted by Teiraa

OMG... this thread is a clone!

Exactly what I was thinking.  I think you may have had the worst orginal post I've ever read, congratulations on contributing nothing to this forum.  We are all now dumber for having read it.  May God have mercy on your soul.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

This wasn't about what customers like what games, it's about the customer wanting something that they don't even know. Basicly, I'm looking for these clone callers to tell me what their idea of a completely original MMORPG is...

I'm doubtful that anyone will come up with something 100% unique.

just FYI, I mean to say MMORPG where I have MMO.

Who are you and why do you even care?  You must be in the industry or I doubt you would care.  I know I don't.