Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Agency: ION Look at The Agency

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh recently attended an Open House for Sony Online Entertainment's Seattle offices where they are busily building the spy-based MMORPG, The Agency. Today, Koh brings us up-to-date on the game, its rating and more.

SoE took advantage of the 2008 ION Games Conference this year and had a media open house for The Agency at their Seattle offices.  The Open House started at 7:00pm and the last panel ended at 6:00pm, so a few of us hoped that there would be food.  There was.  Food, drink and a couple of booth babes, representing the U.N.I.T.E. and ParaGon agents.  I looked around for burly Duncan but was doomed to disappointment.  The presentation though, was no disappointment despite their showing the same trailer from CES 08. 

Media and friends were treated to a display of the concept art of The Agency, a small tour of the studio, many artists and devs to speak to, many whom sported a temporary ParaGon tattoo for the night and of course, the presentation by Lead Designer, Hal Milton.

Read it all here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

Anyone have an idea when this is planning for launch?

Thanks.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Since it is going to be a cash store MMO, you can chalk this up as another mediocre SOE offering.

Smedley has lost any sense of the MMO market he once had, time for him to be the big boot.

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

Originally posted by ssnautilus

Thanks.
    Doesn't matter, nobody is going to play it.

I actually wonder if there are people that will play it?  I won't but if there are people still playing DnL and SWG, then I'm sure someone will play this one too.  Taking $OE out of the picture, I don't see this going well because its a store game, where you buy things for real money, yet is still free to play otherwise.

However, that formula kind of works for Guild Wars, but I think $OE is taking it to a different level.  I've this kind of system is popular with Korean MMO fans, but I've also read that the western markets can't stand this kind of system.

I suppose we will have to see how this plays out.

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Since it is going to be a cash store MMO, you can chalk this up as another mediocre SOE offering.
    Smedley has lost any sense of the MMO market he once had, time for him to be the big boot.

Word.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by m240gulf

Thanks.

I actually wonder if there are people that will play it?  I won't but if there are people still playing DnL and SWG, then I'm sure someone will play this one too.  Taking $OE out of the picture, I don't see this going well because its a store game, where you buy things for real money, yet is still free to play otherwise.

However, that formula kind of works for Guild Wars, but I think $OE is taking it to a different level.  I've this kind of system is popular with Korean MMO fans, but I've also read that the western markets can't stand this kind of system.

I'm sure people will play it upon first release -- it's going to be free after all.  Depending on how much the mincrotransactions proliferate can dictate lasting power though.  Perhaps SOE will regularly open up new servers to bring new blood in (and then charge a hefty transfer fee to those who don't want to start again.)

• TegerTeger Member Posts: 5

Finally some new news on this!  I thought this game had been given up, with the lack of anything from SOE.  Still, I cant wait for it to come out, as this was the reason I signed up on MMORPG.com

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236

It isn't a store game. They offer a service where people can buy loot from other players for real money. People are going to do this anyway, they offer a safe way to do it. All the loot can be found in game, you don't have to buy anything.

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

The Agency is certainly getting alot of attention. If only this amount of attention was spend on other SOE MMO titles they would not have to put all of their eggs (talent and time)  into this title and "Free Realms"

Its saddens the current and the Cancelled SOE customers that the same energy is spent on the older titles. 

I can hardly wait to see if these new PS3/PC MMOs from SOE will be all that and a bag of chips.

Based on Customer service history , I am betting not..

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Thanks.

Of course people are going to play it. Not everyone is adverse to cash stores or the Sony system of buying from other players.

And since we all know people use real money to purchase currency and powerleveling on line, and since we know it's big business, it stands to reason that this will not phase many.

Also, given that it is not sci-fi or fantasy, it offers another type of game to the genre.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by JestorRodo

The Agency is certainly getting alot of attention. If only this amount of attention was spend on other SOE MMO titles they would not have to put all of their eggs (talent and time)  into this title and "Free Realms"
     Its saddens the current and the Cancelled SOE customers that the same energy is spent on the older titles. 
    I can hardly wait to see if these new PS3/PC MMOs from SOE will be all that and a bag of chips.

It's really a shame that Apple isn't spending as much time working on the previous generations of their ipods too -- it saddens their current and previous customers.... 

We get it, you're the clown all swg vets adore and you despise SOE.  Do you have something better to contribute?

• luckdragonluckdragon Member UncommonPosts: 34

Actually, Smedley has stated that it hasn't yet been determined whether "The Agency" will be subscription based or FTP. A lot will depend on the success of their upcoming FTP game, "Free Realms", targeted at the tweenybopper set.

As to whether the Western market will go for a FTP game, he cites the success of Runequest and their 11 million active players.

See www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24735969/

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

SOE's reputation for pulling the rug out from customers and fundamentally changing their games aside, this will be a RMT revenue game and I refuse to play any form of approved RMT including developer sponsored RMT. Why play a MMOG where people are allowed and encouraged to buy their way?

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by therain93

Originally posted by JestorRodo

It's really a shame that Apple isn't spending as much time working on the previous generations of their ipods too -- it saddens their current and previous customers.... 

We get it, you're the clown all swg vets adore and you despise SOE.  Do you have something better to contribute?

Why yes I do and thanks for asking  but a biased history here has proved that this is not a place where i can express myself as freely as I would like to.

I have a great idea , Why don't you visit me at the Rodo Report

http://groups.myspace.com/Rodoreport

There we can talk  more freely - I am looking forward to it

JESTOR!

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• NeopsychNeopsych Member UncommonPosts: 324

I am definatly going to try this. i thought SOE did a fantastic job ( and still are) with Everquest 2 and i want to support new innovations and environments in MMO gaming.

Looking forward to this

To err is human....to play is divine

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

http://images.mmorpg.com/features/1953/images/1953_1_t.jpg

...And so we meet the 1st recipient of the SOE G.I.R.L (Gamers in Real Life) Scholarship program?  Way to go SOE!  Great job bridging that gender gap! 

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• ShohadakuShohadaku Member Posts: 581

If this game wasn't SOE I might look at it. I will never touch a SOE product no matter what it is. I don't care how good any game they make in the future is.  

Too many lies, scams, and bad buisness practices from this company.

SOE=bad buisness that will not hesitate to rip people off or lie to them if they see a potential $$.

No offense to anyone on a SOE game that is lucky enough to not experience this.

• MantelarMantelar Member Posts: 5

Thanks.

I certainly will play it. If the content and style will not change substantially, of course.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

I'm assuming this is for PoS3 only?  Havn't cared to look, anyway I would try any MMO regardless if it was cash shop attached or not!  However I won't spend what little money I have for gaming on a PoS3 just for this....heh  I've played and enjoyed many of Asian F2P MMOs with cash shops too.

Would be nice if SoE would stop being so dumb about all their MMOs and stop ruining them!  Kinda odd that they keep doing this and makes me wonder how many players keep supporting these ideas for SOE to keep doing what they do.

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Guess I missed the part about it being a cash shop game before :(

I'll try it anyway just because it has a different setting.

What I'd REALLY love to see is an MMO that transcends genre by allowing the character to jump from setting to setting [World 1 is fantasy, World 2 is "modern", World 3 is Modern + Magic, World 5 is a space opera, etc]  A GURPS or generic d20 skill set could form the backbone of the system with particular rules for each world [magic works here, but not there, etc]

• InevitableSilenceInevitableSilence Member UncommonPosts: 82

If I can play for free, get all the items for free and sell them to other players for real cash (and most likely a little royalty to SOE) count me in. Somehow I envision more sellers than buyers in this game for some reason.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

You have to join a lobby for pvp.  Good God man, that is lame.  LOL.

• NeoVenomNeoVenom Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by Khrymson

I'm assuming this is for PoS3 only?  Havn't cared to look, anyway I would try any MMO regardless if it was cash shop attached or not!  However I won't spend what little money I have for gaming on a PoS3 just for this....heh  I've played and enjoyed many of Asian F2P MMOs with cash shops too.
    Would be nice if SoE would stop being so dumb about all their MMOs and stop ruining them!  Kinda odd that they keep doing this and makes me wonder how many players keep supporting these ideas for SOE to keep doing what they do.

It's going to be available for PC as well.  The more I read about this game, the more I wanna play it (a bit effy with the RMT though but maybe they'll change their mind...LOL).  Heh  The whole operative description sounds really interesting imo.

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

With SOE driving, I'm betting this game will be unremarkable. I'm not a SOE hater, I just don't have any faith that they can pull something like this off.

so...

• DremacDremac Member Posts: 187

I love the James Bond style. Keeping an eye on this one for sure.

• ObiyerObiyer Member Posts: 511

No matter how high or skilled you are, a headshot is still a headshot. Bang. Dead.

This is sounding interesting for me, there are some good cash shop games. I'm looking forward to the Agency and hopefully it will be like Planetside or CS. It sounds interesting, hope there is a CB test coming soon. I want to sign up!