Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Combat Presentation, Part One

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

At a recent live presentation of Funcom`s Age of Conan, Gaute Godager and Erling Ellingsen demonstrated the different forms of combat in their game. In part one of the presentation the guys talked primarily about the melee combat combo system and the aimable ranged combat.

Video Interview Combat Part One

During a recent live presentation, Age of Conan's Gaute Godager and Erling Ellingsen spoke about the different kinds of combat in the game. In part one of this video, they talk about ranged and melee combat.

Read more here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Yeah, playing in God Mode sure is cool, lol.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

cooolio

• RAWRGRAWRG Member Posts: 105

Not bad.

I like the armor indicator, interesting component.

We'll see just how successful this system is with the masses very soon!

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by RAWRG

Not bad.
    I like the armor indicator, interesting component.
    We'll see just how successful this system is with the masses very soon!
    AoC combat is sure among the most exciting these days. However I just sincerely advise everyone who plays it to buy a Logitech gamepad and program your combos. Its WAY too much key juggling otherwise, with a gamepad you just program a line of keys into one, and unlike the keyboard with a gamepad each button is close enough. After half an hour AoC PVP always my left hand hurt like hell.

As to the shields... I found them kinda pointless. Its fun and cool to react to the enemies shield change, but myself... I never found myself able to predict from what angle an enemy would attack in time. *shrug* Cant imagine anyone besides a Jedi who forsees the future to make serious use of this feature on your own shields.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Very nice video.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591
    Originally posted by Elikal

However I just sincerely advise everyone who plays it to buy a Logitech gamepad and program your combos. ...

...so you can disable the main feature of fighting and have 1-button combat like every other mmog    J/K  i know what you're saying but still, people DO like the traditional 1-click fighting mmogs for a reason. 

And i really didn't want to hear them say "it's like Mortal Kombat !"  like that was a GOOD thing.   

As to the shields... I found them kinda pointless. Its fun and cool to react to the enemies shield change, but myself... I never found myself able to predict from what angle an enemy would attack in time. *shrug* Cant imagine anyone besides a Jedi who forsees the future to make serious use of this feature on your own shields.

Exactly, especially with multiple mobs as shown, players are going to start "kiting" in melee now just so they can keep track of 1 angle.

Once the novelty wears off i wonder if the shield 'feature' won't  become just a gimmick that no one really uses, because the action is so fast and furious you can't react quick enough to use it effectively anyway. 

Prediction: a cheat will emerge to read attacks and automate the whole defensive shield-shift thing.