Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is an extra 8800GT and 2GB of RAM worth it?

DesetesDesetes Member UncommonPosts: 88

I'm thinking about buying another 8800GT for SLi for $150 and 2GB of RAM for $33 since it's so damn cheap.

But can a single 8800GT handle it well anyway? And do you even need 4GB of RAM for winxp (64bit)?

Comments

• MuffinManXIVMuffinManXIV Member Posts: 127

XP 64 bit can support 16 GB (I think...) of ram, so that would most likely help in running the game.  Then the video card, duno, your decision.  I'd maybe wait to see how it runs with what you've got.

• felix77felix77 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Desetes

I'm thinking about buying another 8800GT for SLi for $150 and 2GB of RAM for $33 since it's so damn cheap.
    But can a single 8800GT handle it well anyway? And do you even need 4GB of RAM for winxp (64bit)?

At that price it's more then worth it. Even with 32 bit your going to get 3.5 gigs out of your RAM, I noticed a huge difference when I added 2 gigs.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

the SLI depends on your resolution.  If your res is over 1680x1050 you'll benefit from it.  If its not, you may squeeze at the most %5.

you're running a 64 bit OS, Id throw all the ram I could afford at it.  I would then look at my CPU and see if that was upgradable long before I would suggest SLI

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • DesetesDesetes Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by Rayx0r

the SLI depends on your resolution.  If your res is over 1680x1050 you'll benefit from it.  If its not, you may squeeze at the most %5.

you're running a 64 bit OS, Id throw all the ram I could afford at it.  I would then look at my CPU and see if that was upgradable long before I would suggest SLI

Yea I'm probably gonna run it at 1200x1024 since I have a 17" monitor, only use 1600x1200 in games when I have FPS to spare, we'll see how this game runs. And my CPU is an AMD x2 6000. I'm just gonna get the RAM then.

• RugglesRuggles Member Posts: 36

I ran the beta on a single GT8800 and it ran fantastic. I purchaged a second and am running it currently in SLI. Runs fantastic as well, but don't know if there is a noticable difference. I have also read elsewhere that it is not optimized for SLI yet.

Definitely go for the RAM upgrade . . .

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I updated to 2x 8800GT SLI and it made a big difference for me. I am currently running on high settings with bloom and AA and I am getting good framerates. But even with this setup, the performance takes a dive in some areas like Tarantia.

As for the RAM, that makes a huge difference. If you can afford 4GB, it will really improve performance.