Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what happens to Darkfall when AoC adds PvP loot servers?

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

My prediction is that it will fall out of existence.

Comments

• InzraInzra Member Posts: 679

But from what I read about Darkfall, they don't have classes and overall leveling?

Now that to me is very interesting, that you can specialize in both melee AND magic with the same character, - also I don't really like overall leveling.

So Darkfall would still seem interesting to me.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Well Darkfall will not have instances like AoC which already puts Darkfall ahead.

Sooner or Later

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Yeah, they might keep some potential customers for those aspects but I'm betting they'd lose at least half of their fan base.

And plus there are hybrid classes in AoC and even with a skill based system there would be "cookie cutter" skill distributions.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by jusomdude

It can't happen.  You can't implement full loot in a game that revolves around specialized items, skills, abilities, feats, and leveling.  Why do you think it only worked in UO and Shadowbane?

It also has to be a game that allows you to solo pretty much anything.  I don't know about you, but I'm not wasting the better part of a month putting together a few rare pieces or armor only to get ganked by 5 people and stripped of everything that I've worked for.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Originally posted by TdogSkal

Well Darkfall will not have instances like AoC which already puts Darkfall ahead.
    AoC is on the verge of release..  Darkfall is and has been vaporware for much longer than AoC has been in production.

Which puts AoC ahead

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I'm betting Darkfall areas or even servers would have less players around than AoCs large capacity instances.

• DeathpooperDeathpooper Member Posts: 265

The only way to play Darkfall is by taking shrooms. AoC doens't need them, so it puts funcom ahead.

• torn51torn51 Member Posts: 79

my prediction is you're prediction is wrong.....but its only my opinion, what do i know...

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

at this point I don't even understand how people are still defending Darkfall... they originally planned to release the game in what, 2003? Even now they have very very little information to offer, other than what they plan to do.

I'm not trying to bash the game, but honestly it's at a point where they really need to just scrap it and start fresh... if they do stick with it, I don't even see it coming out until 2010... and by then I doubt that they would have any sort of fanbase. It was a great idea, but at this point, has died before it's been released...

I agree with the OP. It will simply fall out of existence.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

lol.. thats aweful optimistic of you.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

nothing will happen,darkfall has to exist first.

• Thoric485Thoric485 Member UncommonPosts: 525

Hehe

"The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
    To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
    On we sweep with threshing oar, our only goal will be the western shore."
  • KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Well you cant compare the two, AoC is a theme park MMO, Darkfall is a sandbox mmo. If you've never played a sandbox MMO (ie UO, old SWG) then you wouldnt understand, the two have nothing to do with each other.

P.S If your interested in Sandbox MMO's, or just Darkfall, also check out Mortal Online.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

lol you fell for the necro

• MiklosMiklos Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by DAS1337

It can't happen.  You can't implement full loot in a game that revolves around specialized items, skills, abilities, feats, and leveling.  Why do you think it only worked in UO and Shadowbane?

It also has to be a game that allows you to solo pretty much anything.  I don't know about you, but I'm not wasting the better part of a month putting together a few rare pieces or armor only to get ganked by 5 people and stripped of everything that I've worked for.

Best implementation is still EVE Online.

• javacjavac Member Posts: 1,175
    Originally posted by DAS1337

AoC is on the verge of release..  Darkfall is and has been vaporware for much longer than AoC has been in production.

Which puts AoC ahead

Yeah but AoC sucks hard enough that most of us regret it ever existed in the first place.

These old vapourware claims on Darkfall look pretty silly now that so much stuff has come out, it's fun to point and laugh at them though...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by javac

These old vapourware claims on Darkfall look pretty silly now that so much stuff has come out, it's fun to point and laugh at them though...

My motto is, until it commercially releases, its all vaporware.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KirijiKiriji Member Posts: 340

Your under the impression that people give a rats ass about AoC, with most people leaving the game in disgust.

Even if they added PvP loot servers its pretty deluded to think that people will forget about Darkfall and flock to AoC to try out its "Amazing" PvP or even more to think people will resub.

• orzoorzo Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Bladeinhand

Your under the impression that people give a rats ass about AoC, with most people leaving the game in disgust.

Even if they added PvP loot servers its pretty deluded to think that people will forget about Darkfall and flock to AoC to try out its "Amazing" PvP or even more to think people will resub.

I must say I have to agree here.  I still think AoC needs a ground up remake. Take out the instances, link the territories and take out zones.  I just dont see how a game released today can expect success without AT LEAST a seamless, zoneless world.

Some people are like slinkies, they dont really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

Its true that there are a lot of hardcore Darkfall fanboys who only like the game because in their opinion "full loot = instant win" and those people would probably jump on any game which had full loot.

However as several other people have pointed out, the game has a lot of other intersting features besides full looting. If all the full looting fanboys leave it would only be to the benefit of the community as a whole if you ask me.

Of course, Darkfall needs to quit being vaoprware before we start to discuss whatever future it may have.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

This game has a piss poor rep,horrible design and isn't going to offer anywhere near the customization that DF will you are obvisouly not psychic

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• Master25Master25 Member Posts: 21

My prediction is that it won't matter to much.

DF haves no instances, ALOT more skills/spells. I mean ALOT.

The world is how many times the size of AoC?

You can build your own house and design it.

Mobs have a way better AI.

10.000 people on one server.

Actually ''aiming'' swords and spells.

Sea warfare, city building wich you can design yourself. ( build one in a mountain, in a large cave, underwater entrance etc. )

The sound system, hearing people yelling from far away, blinking of light on metal or other shimmering materials, so if you don't look out with sneaking up one someone, he might notice you.

It requires skill, using your environment, weather, or dark clothing for sneaking up on someone.

No levels, no uber epix omz0r gear.

Manual blocking.. and the list goes on.

• ScaredgirlScaredgirl Member Posts: 313

Darkfall is looking pretty damn good imo. Even if they can implement 50% of promised features it would be worth a try. In theory, Darkfall is very close to my "dream MMO".

I'm just not sure if they are ever going to launch it. Last time they said it was going to launch in 2008 which is not going to happen. I just hope they can launch early 2009 but that's a highly optimistic.

-----------------------------
    Originally posted by Frobner
    "Massive sieges" "mounted combat" and "spellweaving" are just few words that spring to mind when I hear the word AOC.... But the word FAILURE will always top the list.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

If you ask some of the people who have broke their NDAs about the game, and they are out there, you'll know that Darkfall isn't close to being released yet.

I like the idea of being able to train any class on a single character; however, Darkfall will fail in my eyes if they take the old Runescape route and allow a player who grind out all their stats to be a god. And while there may not be leveling, you still have to grind out you proficiencies with weapons, armor, etc to be good so the time sink is still there.

On a side note, I don't know why people don't like the cap on players in AoC. 50 people per zone, and it may be bigger now that most of the bugs are worked out who really knows, allows the graphics to be where they are. Could you imagine the kind of lag you'd get if more than 100 people + mobs were in a zone doing spells. It be worse than sieging. And you could forget about activating DX10.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by xpiher

On a side note, I don't know why people don't like the cap on players in AoC. 50 people per zone, and it may be bigger now that most of the bugs are worked out who really knows, allows the graphics to be where they are. Could you imagine the kind of lag you'd get if more than 100 people + mobs were in a zone doing spells. It be worse than sieging. And you could forget about activating DX10.

This was the final nail in the AoC coffin for me. Instanced limited PvP and not the lack of full-loot.

It was just a private guildwar that reminded me of some kind of Alterac Valley. You couldn`t interfere in the battle if you wasnt "invited". Even in UO you could interefere and change the outcome of the large factionbattles with 5 players.