Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously

MettMett Member Posts: 75

I just wanted to put my thoughts on the Open Beta out here. This is my first chance to play the game and I have been following it for some time. I have been reading negative posts for this game for months now and did not want to post my thoughts until I actually played the game. My PC is running the 2.4 ghz dual core, 4 gb ram, 8800 gts 320mb and Vista 32. I plan on upgrading but it is what I have to use for now. I had the resolution set on 1680x1050 (might be off a little). I had the graphics on high the entire time I was playing. I did not get any lag and the loading screens were under 20s throughout the game. I played a ranger to 13 and Necro to 6 before I had to get to bed before work. I may be one of the few but I truly enjoyed the combat system. I was a MT for WOW for a long time and the more interactive fighting is a lot better in my eyes. Watching shields and swinging based on a weakness is great. The instant cast buttons along with the combo's make it totally different and incredibly enjoyable for me. The first couple of levels getting towards the city was linear for the most part but I believe that is the way it was intended. Overall I feel that this is my type of game. I am in a great guild of mature players. I am also not opposed to criticism or mature thoughts on why the game is bad. I am not sure why everyone expects these games to fit everyones play style, its just not possible.

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Good post OP! Your assessment of the game so far is the same as mine (in fact your computer is similar to mine, I just have the 2.66 C2D) and I run it on high with very few problems.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• MettMett Member Posts: 75

I guess my thoughts are that a lot of the people testing this game are running very old machines. You can expect to race a Ferrari in a Pinto and expect to win. But after losing complaining that Ferrari's suck is just a cheap cop out.

• SiyahSiyah Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by Mett

I just wanted to put my thoughts on the Open Beta out here. This is my first chance to play the game and I have been following it for some time. I have been reading negative posts for this game for months now and did not want to post my thoughts until I actually played the game. My PC is running the 2.4 ghz dual core, 4 gb ram, 8800 gts 320mb and Vista 32. I plan on upgrading but it is what I have to use for now. I had the resolution set on 1680x1050 (might be off a little). I had the graphics on high the entire time I was playing. I did not get any lag and the loading screens were under 20s throughout the game. I played a ranger to 13 and Necro to 6 before I had to get to bed before work. I may be one of the few but I truly enjoyed the combat system. I was a MT for WOW for a long time and the more interactive fighting is a lot better in my eyes. Watching shields and swinging based on a weakness is great. The instant cast buttons along with the combo's make it totally different and incredibly enjoyable for me. The first couple of levels getting towards the city was linear for the most part but I believe that is the way it was intended. Overall I feel that this is my type of game. I am in a great guild of mature players. I am also not opposed to criticism or mature thoughts on why the game is bad. I am not sure why everyone expects these games to fit everyones play style, its just not possible.
    I run the exact same spec as you, including 4GB ram on Vista 32 but i also run a 8800GTX. I must admit I can't make the claim that the game runs on high settings without any performance "problems". In the starter area it is all very smooth, but when I hit tortage performace gets a hit. Lag spikes and what looks like 1/2s or 1s freezes did happen regularly. This is playing a conqueror to 10, an assassin to 8 and a barbarian to 6.

I am however hopeful, as I know that the combination of the debugger + over-stressing the servers all contribute to this. I like the gameplay and the button smashing as some call it, in my case I find it more entertaining to smash 3 directional buttons than the same exact button for 30 secs and let the game decide how my guy will swing.

As it looks right now i will buy the game at release.

Btw...curious to how your FPS looked with your spec. I run at 30-40 around tortage with the settings i mentioned above.

I am not sure on my FPS, I am at work but I will test it out tonight. In tortage it did lag out a little more and freeze up some but like you said it was to be expected. The video card I have is not incredible so I may have just adjusted to the freezes and didnt pay as much attention to it.

• DominaznDominazn Member Posts: 46

can't wait to get my hands on this game, coming from many years of playing FPS games. Slowly moved over to mmos. 

• spinetagspinetag Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Dominazn

can't wait to get my hands on this game, coming from many years of playing FPS games. Slowly moved over to mmos. 

I think you're a little confused. FPS stands for First Person Shooter AND Frames Per Second. Those crazy acronyms.

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by spinetag

I think you're a little confused. FPS stands for First Person Shooter AND Frames Per Second. Those crazy acronyms.

I think I'm a bit confused. You mean Frames Per Second games? wth is that?

• spinetagspinetag Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by Dilweed

Lol, I hate you.

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

I have been able to run the game smoothly as well...The biggest complaint I have seen in general chat are:

"Crappy graphics" Which prolly means ppl are playing with older, slower graphics cards/pcs.

"Load times take too long" Which I myself have not experienced much more than a 30second load time. I donno why some ppl are experiencing extreme long times. I am guessing it must be something on their PC that is slowing them down.

I think alot of the graphics issues are prolly user based moreso than the games fault.

I only found a bit of lag after loading into a new area. So usually I would just stop for a second or two till the area loaded n all was good. I found combat to also be enjoyable...a bit more involving than just smashing the next skill attack. The beginning area is a bit linear but once you get to the first city things open up more.

The game is nothing really revolutionary from what I seen so far. Better than most that is current on the market. It tries a few new things (in combat), n the graphics are pretty decent.

Some ppl will love this game. while others will continue to bash it for one reason or another. Different PCs are also going to have an effect on load times/graphics. I personally will stick with this game for some time...as I can see it being a pretty decent game. And IF the game upon release and Funcom is "hiding n scamming everybody after lvl 13" I will be here to say I was wrong.....so will those who say now how crap the game is hiding, if they are wrong do the same?

I personally enjoyed wow for the 2 years I played. I am just looking for something different. I will stick out Conan as long as I can. My preorder is still on par for delivery through gamestop. I do not expect this game to be perfect but as long as I enjoy it and its playable I am in for the long haul.

• JoshyrayJoshyray Member UncommonPosts: 49

I'm not in the Beta Preview (refuse to call it open) but I'm doing my best to follow it. Pre-ordered months ago, and cant wait for release! Taking 3 days off work with my normal 2 days off so I should get a good amount of play time in. I do have a question thou, What seems to be the most played class? And what is the most "support type" class? I loved my enchanter in AC2, my Bard in FFXI. WoW's lack of a support class kinda cheesed me. I'm most interested in the Sion of Set. Any info would be great. Thanks.

• SiyahSiyah Member Posts: 131
    FOriginally posted by Joshyray

I'm not in the Beta Preview (refuse to call it open) but I'm doing my best to follow it. Pre-ordered months ago, and cant wait for release! Taking 3 days off work with my normal 2 days off so I should get a good amount of play time in. I do have a question thou, What seems to be the most played class? And what is the most "support type" class? I loved my enchanter in AC2, my Bard in FFXI. WoW's lack of a support class kinda cheesed me. I'm most interested in the Sion of Set. Any info would be great. Thanks.

From what i have seen in about 5 hours of game play, Assassin, Ranger Barbarian and Conqueror.

• ab29xab29x Member Posts: 364

I guess my thoughts are that a lot of the people testing this game are running very old machines. You can expect to race a Ferrari in a Pinto and expect to win. But after losing complaining that Ferrari's suck is just a cheap cop out.

I have a decent machine, top AGP Graphics card.  2 Gigs of ram, etc.  I lag and studder on low settings horribly.  To the point of it being unplayable and Im definately above the minimum requirements by a good bit.

I'm not complaining but I can't bring myself to run out and spend 500.00 on a new processor and MB for one game.  Hopefully it'll be better when the stop playing stupid games and give us the latest client and its compressed and debug is off.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Nice post OP!

Other than a few technical glitches I have had, I have also really enjoyed the game. I can see a lot of potential and I think I will REALLY like this game once my graphical problems are addressed. Can't wait to get off Tortage and explore the rest of Hyboria!

• DominaznDominazn Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Dilweed

Lol, I hate you.

Yeah I play alot of Frame Per Second games.  Frame Per Second games are the best genre.  Hands down!

Confused?

• SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952

Hmmm I played the same game that you did, and there was no way I could play on high. Maybe in the very first area where you land on the beach but that's all. If you really ran around the city on high settings you would stutter horribly. My resolution wasn't even that high. I'm sorry but I really doubt you were playing on high settings. Just trying to keep it real.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I've played on high most of the time I've been in this Beta. There were a few lag spikes and a couple where I actually had to hard boot out because I was locked. In general though, my FPS were 22-26 and the game ran well. Plenty of stutter 'occasions' but some of those could be attributed to a server showing 'High Load'.

In general I like it. I put in my crash reports on the occasions where a bug has sent me flying. I know this isn't the final client so why cry foul?

I think given the fact that AoC requires a bit of thought before you go rushing mindlessly in (assuming you are about the same level as local mobs) that it was will be a fun and different game for me to play and stay with long term.

Bring on the release so I can get cranking for real!

• EverithEverith Member CommonPosts: 482
    Originally posted by ab29x

I have a decent machine, top AGP Graphics card.  2 Gigs of ram, etc.  I lag and studder on low settings horribly.  To the point of it being unplayable and Im definately above the minimum requirements by a good bit.

I'm not complaining but I can't bring myself to run out and spend 500.00 on a new processor and MB for one game.  Hopefully it'll be better when the stop playing stupid games and give us the latest client and its compressed and debug is off.

I know no one likes spending money because of a game but top of the line AGP isn't even close to "good" these days even if you step it up to a cheaper PCI-E you'll notice a big jump i'm sure. Problem is you'll have to do it sooner or later cause games aren't going to go backwards. Biggest problem with pc games is theres 5 million different brands and configurations and setups and it''s tough to have everyone run it well.

• diricio1diricio1 Member Posts: 67

I am looking forward to AoC. I just ordered a Dell XPS to play all of my online games (with an awsome wirless card), so I plan to buy AoC on release. All of the hype and good (and bad) reviews sounds pretty good for the most part. But one question, how well developed is the Character Customization?

• waverat81waverat81 Member Posts: 287

Originally posted by Slythe

Hmmm I played the same game that you did, and there was no way I could play on high. Maybe in the very first area where you land on the beach but that's all. If you really ran around the city on high settings you would stutter horribly. My resolution wasn't even that high. I'm sorry but I really doubt you were playing on high settings. Just trying to keep it real.

I can also verify being able to play on all "high" with 4xAA 1600x1050 resolution and having very minimal stuttering in Tortage.  Averaging around 30ish fps.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

lol

I run on the HIGH setting and my resolution is 1920X1200. It is a beautiful game. In fact, here are 2 screenshots at that resolution.

http://tvisions.nvincible.com/aoc/thorn1200.jpg

http://tvisions.nvincible.com/aoc/thorn1920.jpg

If you have the right machine, this game is graphically awesome. And the gameplay is great too.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• TraviztyTravizty Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by Thornrage

lol

I run on the HIGH setting and my resolution is 1920X1200. It is a beautiful game. In fact, here are 2 screenshots at that resolution.

If you have the right machine, this game is graphically awesome. And the gameplay is great too.

VERY NICE!

Don't confuse a players ability, with a class being Over Powered.

-T

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671

lol

ctrl-alt-f....please.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

I'll do better than ctr-alt-f ... when the servers come back online tonight, I will frap it at this resolution and get about 1 or 2 minutes of running, fighting and whatever so you can see how smooth this game really is if you know how to run a PC at its optimal level.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• TraviztyTravizty Member Posts: 114

I'll do better than ctr-alt-f ... when the servers come back online tonight, I will frap it at this resolution and get about 1 or 2 minutes of running, fighting and whatever so you can see how smooth this game really is if you know how to run a PC at its optimal level.

Awesome I would like to see that.

Don't confuse a players ability, with a class being Over Powered.

-T