Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...what WOULD be a WoW killer?

ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

So many people like to speculate which soon to be released MMO will be the death knell for WoW.  It's been going on for a couple years now and many games have come and gone and still WoW remains on top.  Games will continue to be released in the future.  Will AoC be a WoW killer, will WAR?  Most likely neither of them will be.

So instead of asking which game that is currently in development might do it, let me ask something a little different.  What kind of game would it take to kill WoW?  Or better yet, is there a formula that could be more popular than the WoW formula.  Perhaps there is none.  Perhaps WoW is the most successful formula there is and therefore, we are destined to see WoWish type games made again and again and again.

I personally don't care if WoW lives or dies.  I don't care if it continues to rule or eventually gets dethroned.  I guess I'm just asking a familiar question with a slightly different spin because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

So...what WOULD be a WoW killer?

Someones mom who who says no?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• gathgath Member Posts: 424

This is both new and interesting...

As long as this kind of threads come up 5 times a day, wow wont die.

Senhores da Guerra

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

To even consider being a WOW killer you would first need to be a franchise Game , so only a few come to mine

A Elder Scrolls MMO

A Might & Magic MMO "The RPG M&M not the Strategy one

A Wizardry MMO

& bear in mind these would have to be extremely well made to have any chance ..

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

A StarWars KOTOR Online done EXTREMELY well.

A Diablo MMO.

A Starcraft MMO.

That's pretty much it.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Lukain

To even consider being a WOW killer you would first need to be a franchise Game , so only a few come to mine

A Elder Scrolls MMO
    A Wizardry MMO

None of those stand a chance. In fact, a new IP probably works better then using old M&M and Wizardry IP's. I can see The Elder Scrolls doing well as an IP but by no means does it have the recognition to be a WoW killer.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. If there is one IP that has the potential to kick WoW of its throne, it's Final Fantasy. Grand Theft Auto might also do very well, but it won't be accepted oversea.

• dbaum23dbaum23 Member Posts: 2

The only thing that is going to kill WOW is WOW itself...

• dikkydikky Member CommonPosts: 261

time

• demented669demented669 Member Posts: 402

i am the WoW killer i uninstalled it and will never play that trash game ever again so to me it is dead

R I P! WOW

only time a game will die is when people say it's over for them, it's just like when crack heads stop sucking on that pipe no one made them stop only you  have the power to end it !!!

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Time is the only thing that kills MMORPGs. Close to 6 years ago people were asking the same thing about EQ1...what will kill Everquest...the answer, nothing.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

I think WAR is big enough. The only problem i see is Asia but its pretty big in both NA and Europe. The stuff is 25 years old and did orginate in GB i think. Other wow killers could be a completely revamped SWG i dont think it needs to be KOTOR but it needs to be done by a different company nor does it need to be pre-nge or pre-cu i think a game designed from the ground up to be like nge could be done very well. I mean in the gaming world the only franchies that beat SW is pokemon and Mario but neither would make a mmo. STO couldve been huge SGW has a shot at being pretty big but not a wow killer i guess. PErsonaly the only company going into the mmo world that could take wow down on its own IP is Bioware. Their fanbase is huge which is what propelled wow to where it is today.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Arndur

I think WAR is big enough. The only problem i see is Asia but its pretty big in both NA and Europe. The stuff is 25 years old and did orginate in GB i think. Other wow killers could be a completely revamped SWG i dont think it needs to be KOTOR but it needs to be done by a different company nor does it need to be pre-nge or pre-cu i think a game designed from the ground up to be like nge could be done very well. I mean in the gaming world the only franchies that beat SW is pokemon and Mario but neither would make a mmo. STO couldve been huge SGW has a shot at being pretty big but not a wow killer i guess. PErsonaly the only company going into the mmo world that could take wow down on its own IP is Bioware. Their fanbase is huge which is what propelled wow to where it is today.

WAR is a non - gaming franchise. Having Non - gaming franchise really isn't a ticket to success, this has been proven many times with games like Star Wars, The Matrix and Lord of the Rings, all IP's with much more recognition than Warhammer.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

A Elder Scrolls MMO
    A Wizardry MMO

Just wanted to add to this list

A Forgotten Realms MMO

Now that you mentioned Asian games...

There is a asian game called "Fantasy Westward  Journey" that has an amount of 1,3 million concurrent users. (a couple years back)

The latest number i reember from WoW wa 1 million concurrent, but i cant recall if its world wide, or asian wide, or whatever.

If infact tehre is a "wow killer" it might be born in asia.

Normally people forget, white race is becoming a very small minority.

Senhores da Guerra

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

It depends in part on what you mean by "killer".  The original EverQuest and Ultima Online are small enough now to be irrelevant, but they aren't exactly dead either.  The main reason for WoWs original success was that it was leaps and bounds beyond all the contemporaneous competition.  It has enough momentum now that even games which are as good or better aren't going to kill it, because lots of people will stick with it out of habit. 

The only way WoW will ever be "killed" is by several games of similiar or greater quality all hitting the market, *and* people getting bored with WoW.  If AoC and WAR both live up to most of their hype, they will start to make a dent, but even if both were clearly superior to WoW from an objective standpoint, they would still need more help from future games, because objective rationality has absolutely nothing to do with which games succeed.  I mean come on, "the Sims" is the best selling PC game of all time.  Quality is not King.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341

I think  new Star Wars MMO could wipe the flooer with wow if it was done right. I still believe that SWG could have been the wow of today had it not been in the hands of SOE. Had they took their time and released it finished and complete with the space game and vehicles included and with all the battlegrounds that had been promised SWG could have been it. Now there is no way ever that SWG can be saved imo and so a complete new game needs to be done and this time polished and complete.

• XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606

Originally posted by Gameloading

WAR is a non - gaming franchise. Having Non - gaming franchise really isn't a ticket to success, this has been proven many times with games like Star Wars, The Matrix and Lord of the Rings, all IP's with much more recognition than Warhammer.

Im not sure I understand what you mean by "non-gaming franchise"(if im taking what your saying correctly, you mean that Warhammer is not based off of a game? And that Star Wars, The Matrix, and Lord of the Rings are?

So yea, those were all movies before they were games and Warhammer IS a game

us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/default.htm

and I know there have been several video games with the Warhammer name on it..

If im taking what you said wrong, let me know.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by Gameloading

Would you mind explaining how WAR is a non-gaming IP?  I'd really like to know, since warhammer is a game...that people play...and I'm pretty sure that would qualify it as a gaming franchise.  Also, technically, since there have been SOO BLOODY MANY Star Wars games made...it also kinda qualifies.

Also, since Warcraft is BASED on the warhammer gaming franchise, it would stand to reason that not only do they have a ticket to success...but almost a golden ticket.  Based on the principles listed here, of course.

• TecknicTecknic Member Posts: 458

World of Warcraft is popular because it does alot of the things that MMOs have done and should do, and it does them well.  The biggest problem with most of the WoW clones is that they try to do all of the things that WoW did, but they don't do them nearly as well.  Thus, you get a watered down experience that is not even as good as the one WoW offers.

With that in mind, their are two approaches that could work.

1. Be WoW, but better.  You could change the setting a bit or a couple of other minor things, but you have to make sure that you keep the game accessable for those people that've already played WoW.  Former WoW players are going to be a good portion of your player base in this case, and if your game isn't up to snuff, you can count on these players jumping off your ship fairly quickly.

2. Do something completely different.  This one is certainly more of a risk, but it could pay out massively down the line.  Create a game that is as far removed from WoW as you can manage.  If you create it right, you'll have an alternative to WoW, which would give current WoW players a change of pace, and former players a new experience.  It may seem counter-intuitive, but I see it in another, simpler light.  If everyone is selling chocolate cakes, and only chocolate cakes, people are going to get tired of chocolate cakes, and they will be willing to give your blueberry pie a taste.

The one constant in these mock-ups is Quality.  If the game itself is not a quality product, and if it's bugs are not well ironed-out, then all the good ideas in the world won't mean too much.  It has to be a concentrated effort to make the best MMORPG you could possibly make.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Playing: Nothing
    Played: Champions Online, CoX, STO, PSO, WoW, lots of free-to-play crap
    Looking Forward To: DC Universe Online, Blade and Soul

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    Originally posted by Cochran1

A Elder Scrolls MMO
    A Wizardry MMO

A Forgotten Realms MMO

i agree even if it didnt make a dent in wow  i would play it in a heart beat

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by needalife214

Originally posted by Cochran1

A Forgotten Realms MMO

i agree even if it didnt make a dent in wow  i would play it in a heart beat

Yeah, The decision for DDO to go with an unknown, sub-par campaign setting, when it had Forgotten Realms, Planescape, even Ravenloft and Dragonlance, should go down in history as one of the dumbest business decisions ever made in the gaming industry.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by goreesha

A lot of my friends who play only WoW do so because newer MMOs won't run on their crappy computers. Not many of my friends have gaming computers. A lot of them have cheap crap they got at Best Buy or Wal-Mart, so stuff like Age of Conan, not to mention Lotro or Vanguard, even EQ2, they can't really run on their computers, or, at the very least, they have to run with the graphics turned way, way down and still get like 5 fps. But low poly WoW runs just fine on the Hewlett Packard with Celeron they got for $499, so they play it and never really get to try other stuff.
    I am not saying that is the only reason WoW has been successful, and I realize it is just anecdotal evidence, but in my personal experience, that has been a major reason among my family and friends for many of them only playing WoW. Some of them are pretty sick of WoW, but they can't play the newer MMOs, so they stick with what they can play.
    So, that being the case, what would be a WoW killer for my friends would be a new, impressive game that they could somehow run on their crappy computers other than WoW.
    Yeah, this is largely overseen, and ignored, but most (for what i read) players of F2P games, are playing them since they cant run newer, more resource demaning , games.

I know i am agasint having to buy a new computer just to play 1 friking game.

The computer i have i more then enough for work, that i depend on, why would i have to buy something for the "fun" part?

Senhores da Guerra

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

Call of duty mmofpsrpg, GTA mmoactionrpg, Quake mmofpsrpg, Halo mmofpsrpg, Battlefield mmofpsrpg, Starcraft mmorts. Wow had a small fan base(before launch) compared to these games.

Wow is missing alot of stuff I consider important in a mmo.

1. One world not multiple 3000 player servers.

2. Environmental change.(being able to build or destroy landmarks)

3. Owning land

4. An economy

5. Vehicle combat

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• Katashi-kunKatashi-kun Member Posts: 517

Originally posted by goreesha

So, that being the case, what would be a WoW killer for my friends would be a new, impressive game that they could somehow run on their crappy computers other than WoW.

Warhammer Online + it has 25 yrs of fans backing it...just like World of Warcraft had an established fan base.

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

Originally posted by Zindaihas

So many people like to speculate which soon to be released MMO will be the death knell for WoW.  It's been going on for a couple years now and many games have come and gone and still WoW remains on top.  Games will continue to be released in the future.  Will AoC be a WoW killer, will WAR?  Most likely neither of them will be.
    So instead of asking which game that is currently in development might do it, let me ask something a little different.  What kind of game would it take to kill WoW?  Or better yet, is there a formula that could be more popular than the WoW formula.  Perhaps there is none.  Perhaps WoW is the most successful formula there is and therefore, we are destined to see WoWish type games made again and again and again.
    I personally don't care if WoW lives or dies.  I don't care if it continues to rule or eventually gets dethroned.  I guess I'm just asking a familiar question with a slightly different spin because I'm a glutton for punishment.
    I am of the ilk that believes the 5 million subscribers (USA/Euro) that play are die hard Warcraft fans. So in my opinion, it would take a larger playerbase following than Warcraft had to beat WoW. I'm no gamer stats guru, so I couldn't tell you which IP out there has more dedicated gamers than the Warcraft series.

It is important to point out that Warcraft fans were already familiar with the computer, owned one, and so it wasn't much of a transition to play online. So I think the formula here is: large computer gamer following of said IP + polished game + good marketing + easy to get into, hard to master + accessible to low end machines = A Huge Hit.

Assuming the rest of the formula is there, who has a computer game IP that is a large hit?

Forgotten Realms ?

Baldurs Gate ?

Starcraft

Warhammer 40k ?

KoToR ?

Half Life

Call of Duty ?

Might and Magic

I can't think of any others, but we get the idea. There is a reason why LoTRO, WAR, and AoC will not be huge hits. LoTRO was trying to pull mature intellectuals that probably don't play video games or LoTR movie fans, who the majority doesn't play video games either. Same with Conan fans. WAR's fanbase consists of those who play table top minatures, unlike Warhammer 40k, which has a couple computer games out there with a large following.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

Microsoft will kill WoW.

Eventually an operating system will come out that will not run WoW.  The operating system may not even be a Microsoft product.