Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Divergence: Divergence Gets Listed

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Divergence, a sci-fi MMO from Stainglass Llama Studios that looks to become THE definitive sci-fi MMO has been added to the MMORPG.com Gamelist.

"Divergence is a science fiction game hoping to make it's mark in a genre bloated and dominated by fantasy-based mmorpgs, with dozens of innovative and controversial features.

"Stainglass Llama is a small software development company with a single mission;

"To create THE definitive go-to game for all scifi mmo enthusiasts, built around what the players want to see in their game. We believe it's about time a development company actually listen to the subscribers, and we come to see that the deed is done.

"At Stainglass Llama, our developers have a strong relationship with our potential customers and propose the question, "What features do you want to see in a new scifi mmorpg?" and go from there." - Official website.

Find out more about Divergence here.

Comments

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Again, you mean... right?

Were you around the first time?  I think you were...

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Welcome back SGL!

• Tron420Tron420 Member Posts: 50

Yeah I am sick of fantasy MMOs as well. The features I look for in MMOs are:

1. Meaningful PVP (a la UO and Eve).

2. PVP that is integrated into the game and not just tacked on at the end.

3. Skill based combat.

4. Good graphics.

5. High fun factor.

As consumer, if I find a game that has the potential of offering these items I am more than happy to throw down my $50.

• RalsarRalsar Member UncommonPosts: 305

Whew there are so many MMOs in development.  This one sounds pretty good.  Hopefully they can get a good product out.  The more sci-fi choices out there the better.

• bubu_3kbubu_3k Member UncommonPosts: 108

They plan to make the "perfect" sci-fi mmo and yet among the first screens they release have a char with a sword..really nice start. And for a company without a serious background in mmo to claim they wanna make the "ultimate",without pin pointing any details, mmo usually means they have no ideea of what they are doing and just wanna get some money...no thank you

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960
  • GerecGerec Member CommonPosts: 185

Huh? The link doesn't work for me either and I can't find anything through searching either.

• KeoghKeogh Member Posts: 1,099

"Don't corpse-camp that idea. Its never gonna rez"
    Bladezz (The Guild)

Originally posted by Keogh

You should also read this:   http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/269/view/forums/post/1331006#1331006

Which is over a year old, and despite what the poster implied, there is a game forming up nicely, so no, you shouldn't read that. lol

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Originally posted by Tron420

Yeah I am sick of fantasy MMOs as well. The features I look for in MMOs are:
    1. Meaningful PVP (a la UO and Eve).
    2. PVP that is integrated into the game and not just tacked on at the end.
    3. Skill based combat.
    4. Good graphics.
    5. High fun factor.

As consumer, if I find a game that has the potential of offering these items I am more than happy to throw down my $50.
    Traits I look for in a game:
    1. Strong PvE content, with no forced PvP
    2. In depth and meaninful character development
    3. Slower advancement with plenty of content at all levels
    4. Tactical combat - as opposed to twitch or endless button mashing
    5. Diverse meaningful character classes (or skill tree, as long as everyone cannot be everything)
    6. Meaningful choices during character advancement(you have to live with your descisions, not respec to the flavor of the month) All choices should have both advantages and disadvantages.
    7. Strong group orientation with some solo content
    8. Robust economy, tradeskills, housing, non-combat content.

You cannot build a game to be both PvE centric and PvP centric. They need to decide which they are after and announce it early so the 50% of the market that is not interested in the game style they are developing can move on to tracking other games.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

Originally posted by Nightbringe1

You cannot build a game to be both PvE centric and PvP centric.

Remember SWG?

• killertimkillertim Member Posts: 18

Its not a game..... Its a great idea for a game though.    

I will check back and see how thier take on character use (PvP,PvE) gives us more of a feel for the game.  

I found the selection of races to be a bit shallow and not very creative for a sci-fi game.  I look forward to how the other races shape up.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Will not happen. Just taking up forum space another game could be using.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

My, my, my, still around...

"Divergence is a modular-based MMO using the C4 engine for most graphical work and front-end and PX Interactives MMO server middleware to handle multiplayer and network traffic. As I may have boasted in earlier threads, we use several groups for 3d content including Liquid Development; responsible for 3d assets for big name games such as Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Guild Wars and City of Heroes. Other groups include Rocketbox Libraries for our armor and clothing as well as animations for said characters and even 3DRT for the cheap stuff."

Also add in FaceGen for the character generator.

Nothing to see here, just purchased or borrowed assets thrown together.

As Keogh mentioned before of posting a link.

Read those messages of mine and compare with what they have now.  A game that is supposely all done, but just lacks the money...

Its all spin.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

Does anybody remember when they first came out they were going to liscense BigWorld and within the first few months announced they had all the coding done, they were just waiting for the funding?

In November I got a chance to talk with Ethan on the phone actually, at the time he was looking at Hero.

Now it appears they're using C4 + PX.

- CaesarsGhost

"When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• phosphorosphosphoros Member Posts: 512

lol nice link.
    Why is the links always borked on this site? Cold fusion to complex? Hehehe Come'on! It's a link!

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342

Huray another sub-standard mmo!

Originally posted by darwa

Originally posted by Keogh

You should also read this:   http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/269/view/forums/post/1331006#1331006

Which is over a year old, and despite what the poster implied, there is a game forming up nicely, so no, you shouldn't read that. lol

Oh, I think people should read it.

You'll really like this blast from the past: www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/92392

We're not going to have to have the same discussion two years later, are we?

Oh, and here's a recent one where they tried to get money by charging people for the privilege of seeing patch notes lol: www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/269/view/forums/thread/169867

Qoute/ "The contributor-only area will be getting a dose of new content. This will include a regular update on where exactly we're at with the game from a user friendly standpoint. Think of it as early access to patch notes. Also Contributor status has been hard-coded to the $50 it should have been. Occasionally an error was reported where paying only 10$ got you in. Anyone who paid $10 and got in has been grandfathered in (meaning you don't have to pay more)." /end quote.

Seriously dude, I don't know what investment you have in Divergence, but it ain't paying off any time soon. These people were removed in the first place because they kept trying to pass of other peoples artwork and such as their own. I doubt anything has changed since then, especially in light of the aforementioned money attempt.

In fact here's the link to the entire old forum here, so people can see the whole thing themselves: www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/269/view/forums/forum/800

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Mabye they can try to bribe their players into giving them money! Woo sounds fun..

I'm a developer and I know things...PAY ME MONEY!  (yeah, their that poor)

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

I use to think that VG is the worst possible story of a game during production and beta.  I do not want to go to the SWG debacle.  Too much fuel already burning there.

VG hurt my faith in games.  I have been playing games from EQ to SWG DAoC to CoX GW WoW ... Not all are perfect but they all delivered.  VG is the first one that failed to deliver, totally, during the beta days and launch.  So much talking about it here, and it flopped hard upon launch.

Then comes GnH, that was a fiasco.  Accidentally I walked into the DF forum and here.  Suddenly I feel alarmed.  What is wrong with the game industries?  Or, was I once too gullible and just plain lucky not running into these developing games all over the decades.

Now I have to think thrice before buying any games.

Originally posted by Zorvan  
    Seriously dude, I don't know what investment you have in Divergence, but it ain't paying off any time soon.

No investment at all.

I simply want to play the game they're putting together. Maybe that fact blinds me to all these negative 'facts' that people find.

To be brutally honest, I wish a big-name company would take the ideas that SGL have and develop the game. SOE would be my choice. However, since that isn't a likely outcome, I'll carry on levelling the playing field and encourage the people newly discovering this game to decide for themselves with current information.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771

Very little chance a big company will come up with a full list of features like that.  That is b/c they usually start with feasibility studies as well as profit-cost analysis.  Either way, they will not try to put up a list so staggering that they will not be able to deliver at reasonable cost, within a decade of production.

No point putting up such a proposal, it will cost you your job.

From their own site from 2006:

http://www.divergence-online.com/IM/IM141/viewtopic.php?p=3468

MMORPG.com delisted the game due to taking screenshots from a program costing hundreds of thousands used in major motion pictures.  EnVue5 or something like that... the reasoning behind it was "In order to get listed so I don't have to wait 2-3 years", claiming they had dozens of screens and videos in the BigWorld Engine.

Sorry Ethan, you have alot to prove.

- CaesarsGhost

Originally posted by Zorvan  
    Seriously dude, I don't know what investment you have in Divergence, but it ain't paying off any time soon.

No investment at all.

I simply want to play the game they're putting together. Maybe that fact blinds me to all these negative 'facts' that people find.

To be brutally honest, I wish a big-name company would take the ideas that SGL have and develop the game. SOE would be my choice. However, since that isn't a likely outcome, I'll carry on levelling the playing field and encourage the people newly discovering this game to decide for themselves with current information.

I encourage this also. Good thing the "money for patch notes" stupidity was merely last month.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

I'll carry on levelling the playing field and encourage the people newly discovering this game to decide for themselves with current information.
    The "Facts" can be found on their own forums and newsletters.  Take a look, really, look at their forums and you will find that they blamed MMORPG.Com for being delisted, not themselves.

They, SGL, deceived the community and then lay blame to the staff here for the problems that arose.

And even if my posts were a year ago, it is still valid to this day.

Although I like sticking up for Indies, not this group.

Past history cannot be dismissed.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.