Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this game appeal to Roleplayers?

You know: emotes, good quest stories, places to hang out and socialize, stuff that serves no 'real' purpose except make the world more immersive?

Comments

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

Your attitude towards MMOs is disturbing.

The things you mentioned are things that defines an MMO. 

Maybe you should go play singleplayer games?

And to answer your question; Obviously yes!

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• zazzzazz Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by Caldicot

Think the OP was being sarcastic & i think there will be alot of scope to RP, in soem MMO's they have places to socialize but no real reason to be there but we get Bar Brawls so i think these will be good places to be, maybe like Cantinas in SWG ? either way can only be a good thing.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    • The Aquilonians have the best taverns ...
    • The Cimmerians got the best wine ...
    • The Stygians got the most willing "companions" ...

I wonder which one you'll choose to hang around ...

[I'm just trying to be funny. Nothing mentioned above has to do with actual in-game footage. Besides nipples. And taverns. And wine ... ]

• zazzzazz Member UncommonPosts: 408

Originally posted by Xasapis

The Aquilonians have the best taverns ...
    The Cimmerians got the best wine ...
    The Stygians got the most willing "companions" ...

I wonder which one you'll choose to hang around ...

[I'm just trying to be funny. Nothing mentioned above has to do with actual in-game footage. Besides nipples. And taverns. And wine ... ]

This indivdual is a perfect example of a Roleplayer lol , when you going to finish the story in the Stealth thread? i was getting into that heh.

• GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

Eh? I like these things, I want them to be in there, but I don't think it's a given...

You say stuff like this defines an MMO...well, I wish that were true. The MMO audience is changing, many don't give a rat's ass about RP. WoW made this genre mainstream, and lured in many people with an RTS, FPS or console/action RPG background. New MMO developers are going with the trend, with games like WAR proudly proclaiming "this is war!" "war is everywhere!" "no daisy-picking during war!". Phrases the rabid fans are happy to echo if you ask about inns or housing.

So I got worried for Age of Conan. A lot of this game's marketing revolves around its action-paced combat. But will it have stuff for us immersionists as well? Stuff that's totally useless mechanics wise, but helps to make the world come alive?

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by GrumpyJester

Eh? I like these things, I want them to be in there, but I don't think it's a given...

You say stuff like this defines an MMO...well, I wish that were true. The MMO audience is changing, many don't give a rat's ass about RP. WoW made this genre mainstream, and lured in many people with an RTS, FPS or console/action RPG background. New MMO developers are going with the trend, with games like WAR proudly proclaiming "this is war!" "war is everywhere!" "no daisy-picking during war!". Phrases the rabid fans are happy to echo if you ask about inns or housing.

So I got worried for Age of Conan. A lot of this game's marketing revolves around its action-paced combat. But will it have stuff for us immersionists as well? Stuff that's totally useless mechanics wise, but helps to make the world come alive?

Sorry, I thought you were one of them.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

Sorry, I thought you were one of them.

Neh...I was bitten, but I cut off the infected limb.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

"Funcom I have never prayed to you before, I have no keyboard for it. Many developers have worked on this MMORPG and all gamers shall remember if they were good or bad. So grant me this one thing, grant me a decent MMO with RP and PvP and decent quests and tools to build good communities and guilds with violent and bloody combat that is fun with plenty of drunken noob slaughtering. And if you do not listen......

TO SOE WITH YOU!!"

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

I think I can positively say yes to all. I've been able to confirm that most of those are present ingame if not their level of distribution, on top of that, this is after all Funcom we are talking about, their reputation is based on games with an extremely deep storyline and supporting environment.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984
    Originally posted by Xasapis

The Stygians got the most willing "companions" ...

Try that in-game and i ll cut your head off, stranger !!

• Xris375Xris375 Member Posts: 1,005

Connan146: Identify yourself stranger!

Conaaan67: I'm an escaped gally slave looking for revenge!

Connan146: You too ? Now what is the odds of that ?

---
    And when we got more women on the team, it was like ‘No, no, no. We need puppies and horses in there.’ ”
    John Smedley, SOE

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

Originally posted by Xris375

ALthea: Greetings big boys. Want to play ?

Coonaans: ye *drool*

*mounts her horse with a heavy purse, not looking back to the three corpses on the ground*

Actually the storytelling is a strong aspect of what makes MMORPGs, well, RPGs.

LOTRO had this as well and I thought it was a nice introduction to the game.

Their approach solves (well, sort of) a lore issue regarding a world where people generally stay dead when they die. I agree that they could be more vague about how many people were marooned after the *spoiler*, but given a server's population, even that holds little credibility.

Bottom line, I think I can afford a suspension of disbelief at that particular point in order to enjoy the engaging story telling. Whether others can do the same is something that people have to answer for themselves.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

The way I see it is, the first 20 lvls being single player also gives you time to formulate a tale for your character other than the generic "I was a galley slave then this storm hit". Or certainly beef up the story and add something to it, this has me thinking about SWG and how 80% of characters in the universe had parents that were murdered. Hopefully those 20 levels will give us time and a taste of the Conan world enough to write a decent bio.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

The first 20 levels were originally meant to be a single player experience. This is no longer the case. A good 2/3 or more of your time will be spent in the company of others.

But those 20 levels are enough to place you in the universe. Give you an identity and a role. And explain in the process certain things that would normally be impossible (like the ressurecting).

Those who thoroughly enjoy the RPG aspect will (in my opinion) enjoy the trip for sure.

• forty4plus2forty4plus2 Member Posts: 69

EQ2 has a decent RP following on the antonia bayle server, alot of the people i used to run with on there have been waiting forever for this game....So hopefully they will play.

"Long live the Iksar!" -Daask

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

You know: emotes, good quest stories, places to hang out and socialize, stuff that serves no 'real' purpose except make the world more immersive?

Most importantly will there be beer drinking with drunk effects and can you fish!!

---
    Ethion

• DremacDremac Member Posts: 187
    Originally posted by Xris375

I lol'd :D

• LondonMagusLondonMagus Member Posts: 700

Originally posted by ethion

Most importantly will there be beer drinking with drunk effects and can you fish!!

Will you be able to see your characters drinking or will it be some form of invisible intravenous drip like in EQ2?

It would be great if you could RP in a bar where people could actually sit down and have a drink rather than just standing around looking thirsty.

If you can't "Have your cake & eat it too", then how can "The proof of the pudding be in the eating"?