Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeon Runners: Review

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's Joe Iuliani pens this review of NCsoft's free-to-play MMORPG, Dungeon Runners.

“Something stirs in the darkness. A hot earthy smell wafts up from the dank depths. Nails scratch against limestone, dripping water echoes off cavern walls, ancient chains rattle in stagnant air…. What lies in the eerie depths below?” This quote is what greets you as you log onto the Dungeon Runners website.

Dungeon Runners is a free to download and free to play game brought to you from the folks at NCSoft. This game follows a pretty standard template for fantasy games. There aren’t a lot of choices for characters. Players are limited to Fighter, Mage and Ranger. As a bonus, no healing class, allowing players to focus on cutting a path of carnage through the denizens of Dungeon Runners. There are a number of solo play options available, or group up with fellow adventures for some of the harder dungeons. Dungeon Runners “match making” system is a great way for players to find a group. With the lack of healing class there is no need to try and put together a well balanced group. The more folks you have grouped they quicker nasties die, and let’s face it, that’s what gaming all about.

Read the review here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• turnipzturnipz Member Posts: 531

Good review, though the member only items are really not as manditory as you say they are for higher level areas.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

[quote]There aren’t a lot of choices for characters. Players are limited to Fighter, Mage and Ranger.[/quote]

This is incorrect. While yes, these are the only choices you have at the beginning of the game, every character can learn every skill from any discipline. The "Classes" are not classes, they are starting equipment and skills only, and you are NOT locked into to this, in fact, depending on your gear, stats, and skills equipped, the game generates a "Title" for your player dynamically that can be viewed by others, or yourself in the player screen.

Also, dungeons automatically scale depending on numbers of people in your group, and what the leader has set the difficulty to. (yes it has a difficulty), also, the Go to feature is a god send allowing you to instantly go to a friend where ever they are.

"The best items in game" this has also changed, with the addition of ads, free members can now obtain blue, purple and rainbow items (They could not before). They will be less frequent, but they are there now.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

The game had potential , but development took to long and yielded mediocre results.

Now you have Mythos that is almost twin similar , but much better in every single aspect.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Good review,ive played this on and off and for the most part its a fun easy to pick up game.I hate how the spell aiming worked with non mouse bound spells though

I disagree about the limits of the class system,if anything its one of the games strongest points by being able to pick and choose exactly what you want to have skill wise from any of the 3 archytypes. Theres many player made subclasses over at the forums.

• ocknuocknu Member UncommonPosts: 3

hello i found the review interesting. whenm i played the game i found it limited on quest and mobs to kill. became boring in a short period of time.

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

I have to disagree with the Value score.

The free version of the game is great ... for a free game.  But the member version is really not that much better.  You don't need uber items.  You don't need the extra bank page.  And the game overall just isn't worth any subscription price.

It's good enough to be free-to-play with ads.  That's exactly how good it is, no better.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by jimsmith08

I disagree about the limits of the class system,...

There is NO CLASS SYSTEM.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• apwrsmageapwrsmage Member Posts: 38

The game is average. The review is full of grammatical mistakes, and if you need a thesaurus for "anecdote" you shouldn't be writing.

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by jimsmith08

I disagree about the limits of the class system,...

There is NO CLASS SYSTEM.

if anything its one of the games strongest points by being able to pick and choose exactly what you want to have skill wise from any of the 3 archytypes

I think this game is really best as a buddy game. Not so much finding people in-game to play with, but if you have some buddies around town or some that have moved away you can all hop up on voice chat and go dungeon delving together.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

After reading the review i gave the game a try.  After playing for 3 hours i really like this game.   I just bought a one month sub just to be able to get access to all the features.  I can recommended anyone who's looking to try a new game to download and install dungeon runners.   It's not a big file (only 500 mb) and the update is around 100 mb.

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

The game had potential , but development took to long and yielded mediocre results.
    Now you have Mythos that is almost twin similar , but much better in every single aspect.

Completely agree with you on that statement. At first dungeon runners semed like a breath of fresh air for a casual/free game to play but after playing Mythos I can say I would never want to  play Dungeon runners again. The amount of polish already in game for Mythos is amazing and really just makes DR look poor in comparison. Especially the towns and dungeon design, by comparison the DR tilesets just look completely uninspired.

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Another fluff review by mmorpg.com, All the scores are too high, way too high. Graphics 7 ? Even by f2p standards if you compare them to the other games of the genre they are mediocre at best.

The second I saw a 10 score for Fun on this game I just threw my hands up in the air, this site has no credibility as far as reviews go , and this confirms it.  At least the news are still there :)

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    1. While the review was positive and ok at a very high level, it ignored some major points like the classless rpg system.  It definitely needed more detail, IMO.
    2. For those comparing Dungeon Runners to Mythos, I think it's a matter of preference.  I actively play both, but to me, Dungeon Runners is the most fun of the two.  Fun is subjective, after all.  To each their own.  Regardless, a review of a game shouldn't compare it to another game.  An objective review should be based solely on the merits or detriments of the game by itself.  That's what the reviewer did.
    3. As for graphics, reviewers should distinguish between graphical technology and graphical style.  From a tech standpoint, the graphics in DR are very  dated.  The style, however, is clean, cartoony and fits the game's theme perfectly.
    4. What contest?

~Ripper

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

Originally posted by rhinok

... a review of a game shouldn't compare it to another game.  An objective review should be based solely on the merits or detriments of the game by itself. 
    Not really true.  A game review should compare the game to all other games in the same category, in an aggregate sense.

If the game is inferior (in some category) to most other games of the same type, the review should reflect that.

For this game to have been rated a 10 for fun I fully expect Mythos to be the first game to ever score an 11 in this sites history.

Yes that was a lame reference to spinal tap and yes I was serious.

Mythos has no ingame ads for it to be free

You don't have to be a member to use all of the items ingame.

You dont have to be a member to stack potions. ( a completely stupid design idea)

Don't forget when the next patch comes out, according to massively.com, they're going to reduce the amount of experience free players get as well as a few other adjustments that will make the game even less fun for those that like to play it free.

Originally posted by Hexxeity

... a review of a game shouldn't compare it to another game.  An objective review should be based solely on the merits or detriments of the game by itself. 
    Not really true.  A game review should compare the game to all other games in the same category, in an aggregate sense.

If the game is inferior (in some category) to most other games of the same type, the review should reflect that.

Personally, I disagree.  I believe when one reviews a single product, comparisons to other products (except in summaries) render the review subjective rather than objective.

If the purpose of the review was to compare one product vs. another I would agree, but only partially.  In such a scenario, one should use a balances scorecard, however, each product should still be still be scored solely on the basis of it's own merits or detriments. The final scores would then be compared to each other in order to determine which product is "better".  This is a common approach in the business world. It's also commonly used by Consumer Reports.  MMORPG.com does this to a certain extent by compiling averaged hype or player review scores and letting users compare scores from one game to another.

~Ripper

Originally posted by Unicorns_Pwn

For this game to have been rated a 10 for fun I fully expect Mythos to be the first game to ever score an 11 in this sites history.

You dont have to be a member to stack potions. ( a completely stupid design idea)

Mythos is in closed beta.  Of course it's free.  The revenue model has been announced, however.  Mythos will be f2p, but will have a version of an item mall.  You'll have to wait and see how onerous and/or successful that particular model will be before you can truly compare Mytho's revenue model to DR's.

Btw - it's obviously been a while since you've played DR.  Since November, 2007:

• Non-members can use every item in the game (meaning that there are member and non-member versions of every item), including Mythic items
    • Non-members can use the bank
    • Non-members can stack pots

In regards to the ads:

• In-game ads only appear:
      • Outside the game window as a banner at the top of the screen, like on a web page - most players forget about it after a few minutes
      • On login, logout screens
      • Zoning screens

Per the recent patch announcement, the ads will become significantly less onerous (and they're not bothersome at all, now, IMO):

Ad Changes

We've removed the login and logout movie ads from the game.

We've changed the rotation time on the banner ad to 2 minutes.

We've significantly reduced the frequency of zone change and death ads. Death ads now cap out at 40% after 5 hours of play (down from 100%). Zone change ads now cap out at 20% after 5 hours of play.

It is true, however, that non-member benefits are going to change in the next heave:

Membership Perks

We've made several changes to membership status to make it more valuable and attractive to you free players.

• Members now gain experience 15% faster than free players. This is implemented as a nerf of free player experience. In actuality, free players receive 13.6% less XP than members
    • Members now find 15% more gold than free players.
    • Free players pay 50% more King's Coin when buying items.
    • Chance for a dropped mythic item to be usable by a free player has been reduced to 5% (down from 25%)
    • Chance for a dropped rare item to be usable by a free player has been increased to 100% (up from 75%)

IMO, the chance to use a Mythic that dropped was too high to begin with (Rares at 75%, Uniques at 25% and Mythics at 25% - Mythics should have been lower).   Also, since KC items (even Mythic items) are always usable by the player that receives them, many non-members get around the drop rate by simply farming King's Coins and redeeming them for usable Mythics.  Doubling the price of the items will help to mitigate this practice.  Truly, the only change I don't really agree with is the nerf to non-member experience, although 15% isn't horrible. 

All-in-all, non-members will soon see significantly fewer ads, will have a couple of nerfs to encourage non-membership to paid membership conversions, but can still totally play  the entire game--from level 1 to 100 and with access to every item in the game--for free.

Lastly, this was announced on the official boards today:

StephenAdministrator

Big Boss Man

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: Austin, TX
    XP for quests in next build!

#53898 - 04/09/08 03:26 PM
    Edit post Edit   Reply to this post Reply   Reply to this post Quote   Quick Reply Quick Reply  

We've found a clever way to add XP to quests in the next build. Here's how it works:

When you complete a quest you get a modifier called "15% More Cowbell" that lasts for 5 minutes. This modifier can stack up to 6 times (for a total of 30 minutes). This modifier increases your XP gain by 15%. When you die, this modifier is lost. Finally, the duration of this modifier doesn't elapse when you're in town.

This means you'll be able to get extra XP from when questing... it also means that free players will be able to overcome their XP nerf by questing.

Enjoy!

steve

So, simply by questing, non-members will be able to earn experience at the same rate they did before, but paid members will have the benefit of being able to earn experience faster than they did before. This encourages doing the quests rather than simply grinding an instance over and over AND it provides a new and nice, inherent member benefit.

~Ripper

I also don't agree with the free player experience nerfing, but it's interesting they're coming up with a way for free players to overcome that.

One of the things I didn't like about DR was the lack of an experience reward for completing quests. This certainly is an interesting way to address that issue. If it wasn't for that, I probably would've stopped playing once the new patch came out. I never like grinding just for the sake of grinding. I always prefer to do quests, so I'm glad to see they're adding experience rewards to quests and making quests more important.

I haven't played Mythos yet but once it comes out, I'm not sure if I'm still going to play DR or not. I'll certainly give it a good try so I can compare.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The problem with this game, it has a lousy user interface, it gets very boring quickly and the non paying players CANNOT use rainbow items at all, you get a small chance to use purple items.l

HIghly NOT recommended for anyone.  Even most of the free to play games are far far better.

Originally posted by Unicorns_Pwn

Mythos is in closed beta.  Of course it's free.  The revenue model has been announced, however.  Mythos will be f2p, but will have a version of an item mall.  You'll have to wait and see how onerous and/or successful that particular model will be before you can truly compare Mytho's revenue model to DR's.

Btw - it's obviously been a while since you've played DR.  Since November, 2007:

• Non-members can use every item in the game (meaning that there are member and non-member versions of every item), including Mythic items
    • Non-members can use the bank
    • Non-members can stack pots

In regards to the ads:

• In-game ads only appear:
      • Outside the game window as a banner at the top of the screen, like on a web page - most players forget about it after a few minutes
      • On login, logout screens
      • Zoning screens

Per the recent patch announcement, the ads will become significantly less onerous (and they're not bothersome at all, now, IMO):

Ad Changes

We've removed the login and logout movie ads from the game.

We've changed the rotation time on the banner ad to 2 minutes.

We've significantly reduced the frequency of zone change and death ads. Death ads now cap out at 40% after 5 hours of play (down from 100%). Zone change ads now cap out at 20% after 5 hours of play.

It is true, however, that non-member benefits are going to change in the next heave:

Membership Perks

We've made several changes to membership status to make it more valuable and attractive to you free players.

• Members now gain experience 15% faster than free players. This is implemented as a nerf of free player experience. In actuality, free players receive 13.6% less XP than members
    • Members now find 15% more gold than free players.
    • Free players pay 50% more King's Coin when buying items.
    • Chance for a dropped mythic item to be usable by a free player has been reduced to 5% (down from 25%)
    • Chance for a dropped rare item to be usable by a free player has been increased to 100% (up from 75%)

IMO, the chance to use a Mythic that dropped was too high to begin with (Rares at 75%, Uniques at 25% and Mythics at 25% - Mythics should have been lower).   Also, since KC items (even Mythic items) are always usable by the player that receives them, many non-members get around the drop rate by simply farming King's Coins and redeeming them for usable Mythics.  Doubling the price of the items will help to mitigate this practice.  Truly, the only change I don't really agree with is the nerf to non-member experience, although 15% isn't horrible. 

All-in-all, non-members will soon see significantly fewer ads, will have a couple of nerfs to encourage non-membership to paid membership conversions, but can still totally play  the entire game--from level 1 to 100 and with access to every item in the game--for free.

Lastly, this was announced on the official boards today:

StephenAdministrator

Big Boss Man

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: Austin, TX
    XP for quests in next build!

#53898 - 04/09/08 03:26 PM
    Edit post Edit   Reply to this post Reply   Reply to this post Quote   Quick Reply Quick Reply  

We've found a clever way to add XP to quests in the next build. Here's how it works:

When you complete a quest you get a modifier called "15% More Cowbell" that lasts for 5 minutes. This modifier can stack up to 6 times (for a total of 30 minutes). This modifier increases your XP gain by 15%. When you die, this modifier is lost. Finally, the duration of this modifier doesn't elapse when you're in town.

This means you'll be able to get extra XP from when questing... it also means that free players will be able to overcome their XP nerf by questing.

Enjoy!

steve

So, simply by questing, non-members will be able to earn experience at the same rate they did before, but paid members will have the benefit of being able to earn experience faster than they did before. This encourages doing the quests rather than simply grinding an instance over and over AND it provides a new and nice, inherent member benefit.

~Ripper

You would be correct in that I haven't played the game in some time now. i didn't enjoy it much from my initial impressions. Even with the few I mentioned earlier I just didn't like the focus and way the combat felt. As for my information pertaining to what perks members and free players get.. If what you say is true then their own website is stating the wrong at www.dungeonrunners.com/membership.html

Regardless, I don't prefer all the advertisements. It is nice to see that they are making the game more accessible to free players though who don't mind dealing with their management decisions.

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Originally posted by Hexxeity

Personally, I disagree.  I believe when one reviews a single product, comparisons to other products (except in summaries) render the review subjective rather than objective.

If the purpose of the review was to compare one product vs. another I would agree, but only partially.  In such a scenario, one should use a balances scorecard, however, each product should still be still be scored solely on the basis of it's own merits or detriments. The final scores would then be compared to each other in order to determine which product is "better".  This is a common approach in the business world. It's also commonly used by Consumer Reports.  MMORPG.com does this to a certain extent by compiling averaged hype or player review scores and letting users compare scores from one game to another.

~Ripper

Yeah but consumer reports have standards by which they judge, the standard in games is not a static thing that you can measure against every time. Each new game with better graphics sets a new standard in the industry and the genre of gaming it appears in. Same goes for all other categories.   That is why comparing DR to other games is not only appropriate but necessary.  I suppose the only category that would be statics is FUN, since the standard for it is set by each individual person.  However when someone finds sub par games fun it lowers their credibility very much, so seeing a 10 given for this game makes me considering if the person is fit to review games at all.  Maybe he should

Originally posted by Ozmodan

The problem with this game, it has a lousy user interface, it gets very boring quickly and the non paying players CANNOT use rainbow items at all, you get a small chance to use purple items.l
    HIghly NOT recommended for anyone.  Even most of the free to play games are far far better.
    Ozmodan - every one of your posts about Dungeon Runners is exceedingly, almost angrily, negative.  On top of that, you're wrongNon-members can use every item in the game including RAINBOWS. As I mentioned in my earlier post, the percent chance that a non-member can use a drop doesn't really matter anyway since non-members just buy rainbows with their King's Coins (obtained through drops and quest rewards).  Items redeemed with King's Coins have a 100% chance of being usable by the character redeeming the coins.

I don't care whether or not you like the game, since everybody is entitled to their own opinions about it, but you seem to have a vendetta against it and continue to flame it in every one of your posts.

Unicorn_pwns - the membership page states that minor potions (non-member potions) stack to five, but it is worded poorly, IMO - thanks for pointing it out.

Stacking potions

• Dungeon Runners currently features two types of potions – one to restore health and one to restore mana (magical power). Both items are indispensable for the serious Dungeon Runner – or anyone that just likes "not dying". Non-members will find that a major potion takes up a valuable slot in their inventory, reducing the amount of space for loot. Minor potions will stack to five per inventory slot. Members, however, will be able to stack up to ten major potions per inventory slot.

Instead of passively stating that major pots will just take up space, it should explicitly state that non-members can only use Minor potions, which only recover 40% health or mana and only stack to, but that members can use Major potions, which recover 50% health or mana and stack to 10.

~Ripper

In the interest of clarification, I want to point out that non-members can't necessarily use every item in the game, but they can use almost every item type, except for major potions.

Allow me to clarify further. As I said, non-members can use every item type in the game. There are rainbow items and other rare items that non-members can use. But those are item types, not the items themselves. There are items of every type that drop occasionally that have been marked as only being usable for members.

Therefore, every item type that's in the game can be used by anyone. But there are some specific items that are dropped as member only. If you're a non-member, you just have to keep digging until you find a comparable item that isn't marked as member-only, or as has already been stated, trade in your King's Coins.

I think this differentiation needs to be made as there's a bit of semantic misunderstanding going on here, confusing "items" and "item types" when really they're two different things.